Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2014 4:44:32 PM EDT
Where have you guys been fishing?

Catching any?

How are the ice conditions?

So far I have only bee on Pelteir and Snail lakes.
Caught two 10.5" crappies on Snail...it blew my mind.
Caught a dozen or so small crappies and one snakie pike on pelteir.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have only been out once so far this year.  Caught nothing but was with my 7 yr old daughter.  But I have been hearing good stuff from a lot of people though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to try lake Johanna (in shoreview I believe) tonight after work.

I have never fished it before but I will post an update later tonight.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Lake Owasso, next lake over to the east, had a bad fish kill last year end of November. Check that one off your list
Going to try and get out on Bald Eagle sometime soon!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:27:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Not much to report... had a few hits around 9pm.
Managed to get one walleye in the hole but it shook itself free before I could get it out of the hole.  
I didnt feel too bad as it was only about 11-12".

I will have to try it in the daytime.
Ice was around 8-9"
I was fishing around the saddle on the west side of the lake. I probably drilled 40 holes and was marking fish on the bottom pretty consistently.

I wasn't aware that owaso had froze out last year... I know that Centerville lake did.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:03:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wasn't aware that owaso had froze out last year... I know that Centerville lake did.
View Quote

They don't know exactly what caused it. Sounds like it didn't freeze out- here's how they put it in an article I read:
"A leading theory -- a bends-like condition from high-levels of dissolved gases -- couldn't be verified or dismissed without having access to fish that had died recently. Officials suspect such a cause -- "gas-bubble disease" -- based on the clear ice conditions that allowed photosynthesis to continue without an escape for gases such as oxygen, carbon dioxide or nitrogen. In addition, water samples taken on days immediately after the kill revealed unusually high levels of saturated oxygen. (Low oxygen levels typically develop in late winter, not early ice.)"

Reports are that fish are still biting there, and that the kill was just a fraction of the population. One lake I wish I could ice fish is Vadnais Lake! It would have to be a covert op..
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:32:14 AM EDT
[#6]
....Vadnais Lake you say....
...I once was a rebellious youth with friends who lived a block away...  
...I would be willing to bet the night bite is great in the summer...

I need to READ what people post...
I just now saw that you posted it was in November, that is very odd.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:43:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

..I may have lived TWO blocks away not that long ago.. and I may or may not know that would be a sure bet!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

..I may have lived TWO blocks away not that long ago.. and I may or may not know that would be a sure bet!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay I'll bite....

For those of us without the secret decoder ring.... Why can't you fish this lake?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Okay I'll bite....

For those of us without the secret decoder ring.... Why can't you fish this lake?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay I'll bite....

You CAN fish the lake legally- just from shore in designated areas only. And only certain hours the park areas are open (basically sun up to sundown).
Vadnais Lake is the last reservoir for the city of Saint Paul's water supply and it's managed by the city. There's no boats or any recreation allowed in or on the water. Not even wading for fucks sake!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Went out my little west metro crappie lake and got 5 nice ones.
Ice isn't overly thick, but I'm going to give it another go tomorrow night.
I really enjoy ice fishing.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Was up on Coon Lake in East Bethel this evening.
A good 10"+ of ice.... We'll see how it holds up this weekend.
Maked lots of fish but could not persuade any to bite.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#12]
See any yahoos driving cars, small trucks or SUVs out on Coon??
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
See any yahoos driving cars, small trucks or SUVs out on Coon??
View Quote

Ha! Yeah there was some dumbass in a ranger out there...
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You CAN fish the lake legally- just from shore in designated areas only. And only certain hours the park areas are open (basically sun up to sundown).
Vadnais Lake is the last reservoir for the city of Saint Paul's water supply and it's managed by the city. There's no boats or any recreation allowed in or on the water. Not even wading for fucks sake!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay I'll bite....

Okay no wading.... Does the law say  you can't walking on it once frozen?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay I'll bite....

Probably not specifically, but everyone around there knows it's verboten. Plus there's some big aerators churning out there. Seems risky.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:02:54 AM EDT
[#16]
big aerators churning out there.

Yah, My fat ass would fall through right away.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:51:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone been out in the last few days? we need some reports!

I just scored a vexilar double vision fl20 on amazon and need to use it asap!

On a side note is there a good spot in the EE for a one year old FL-12 pro pack?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone been out in the last few days? we need some reports!

I just scored a vexilar double vision fl20 on amazon and need to use it asap!

On a side note is there a good spot in the EE for a one year old FL-12 pro pack?
View Quote

IM me the details on the FL-12. Looking for a used Vexilar..
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Is it safe to go out on the lakes around the metro with all of this crappy weather we've been having? I haven't ice fished since I was a kid and am considering buying some stuff and getting back into it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Most lakes probably are... you have to know the lake, is it spring fed, where are currents or other factors that could weaken or cause fluctuations of ice thickness.  I was on clear lake south of foret lake today and we had 8-10".

Caught a few average sized bluegills... saw a northern on the camera.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Got a couple 15" eyes Christmas eve on Tonka. The ice was not too good, but it had been warm for a few days.
Hope we make some good ice during this cold snap
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#22]
You guy been catching any?
Post up your ice thicknesses if you you would he so kind.

I did pretty well on centerville lake last weekend.
I limited out on crappies thursday and friday.  On saturday I set up on the south side of the lake and had no less than 6 perch on the camera screen for the entire day. They were bitting lighte and were pretty picky. Ended up taking 11 home. All were between 9 and 12 inches.

Lots of people driving out on 12" of ice... not my style, guess im a pussy like that.  
I stopped out there tonight to drill a few holes and check ice... I really wanted to drive out this weekend.  Ice was between 12 and 15".
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Been up on Rush Lake a couple times lately.  Between 15-18 inches of ice.  Crappies, Sunnies and Perch.  

I have driven out on 12 inches of ice but I want a little more to be safe.  Give me 14 inches and I will  drive out without an issue.  Over New Years I went to Rush and there was 12 inches but I did not drive out even though there were a lot of others that were.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone fished Big Marine recently?
I have not been out there in a few years.  Any updates wuld be appreciated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top