Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 9:29:40 PM EDT
I will be relocating to Dakota County. I will notify my local county sheriff when I move. Can I simply go to the Dakota County Sheriff's office and get a new carry permit with my new address? (I know the statute only says I have to notify my current county sheriff, but I can foresee an issue if I need to present my permit and it doesn't match my driver's license.)
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Cover your bases, they are very gun unfriendly from my personal experience......It all worked out for me but they sure were pitas.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to your local sheriff's office, the same that issued your permit, and fill out a change of address form.  You have the option of getting a new card with your new address for $10 I think, printed right there, or just keeping your old one.  Depending on when your permit expires you can just use the old one and get a new one with your new address when you have to renew it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I will be relocating to Dakota County. I will notify my local county sheriff when I move. Can I simply go to the Dakota County Sheriff's office and get a new carry permit with my new address? (I know the statute only says I have to notify my current county sheriff, but I can foresee an issue if I need to present my permit and it doesn't match my driver's license.)
View Quote

Your permit will always be managed through the office that issued it. That includes address changes and renewals.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your permit will always be managed through the office that issued it. That includes address changes and renewals.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So when I renew my permit (in 3 years or so) I will renew at my present county sheriff, not the new county I'm moving to in a couple months?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So when I renew my permit (in 3 years or so) I will renew at my present county sheriff, not the new county I'm moving to in a couple months?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, when you go to renew in 3 yrs you will have to go to the Dakota County sheriff.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, when you go to renew in 3 yrs you will have to go to the Dakota County sheriff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was told by the Washington County Sherriff's office that I would do my renewal through them. I was told the same thing by the Dakota county sheriff's office when I contacted them initially for the change of address.

Can anyone else confirm this?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#7]
i got my first carry permit in Dakota county. when I moved to Ramsey county I went to Dakota to do my change then when I renewed it I renewed through Ramsey. Now I just moved to Anoka County and have to go to the Ramsey one to change address. If I am still living here when its time to renew then I will renew in Anoka.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#8]
From MN Statute 624.714
Subd. 7a.Change of address; loss or destruction of permit. (a) Within 30 days after changing permanent address, or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the permit card, the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff of the change, loss, or destruction. Failure to provide notification as required by this subdivision is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.
View All Quotes
Subd. 7a.Change of address; loss or destruction of permit. (a) Within 30 days after changing permanent address, or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the permit card, the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff of the change, loss, or destruction. Failure to provide notification as required by this subdivision is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.

Renewal:
(c) A permit to carry a pistol issued under this section expires five years after the date of issue. It may be renewed in the same manner and under the same criteria which the original permit was obtained, subject to the following procedures:  

Subd. 2.Where application made; authority to issue permit; criteria; scope. (a) Applications by Minnesota residents for permits to carry shall be made to the county sheriff where the applicant resides. Nonresidents, as defined in section 171.01, subdivision 42, may apply to any sheriff.

(1) no earlier than 90 days prior to the expiration date on the permit, the permit holder may renew the permit by submitting to the appropriate sheriff the application packet described in subdivision 3 and a renewal processing fee not to exceed the actual and reasonable direct cost of processing the application or $75, whichever is less. Of this amount, $5 must be submitted to the commissioner and deposited into the general fund. The sheriff must process the renewal application in accordance with subdivisions 4 and 6; and

From the MN BCA Website
Do I need to notify the sheriff’s office when I move?
Yes, a permit holder is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor.

Do the address and/or my new driver’s license number on my permit to carry need to match the address and/or drivers license number on my driver’s license?
No. A permit holder, however, is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor. The permit holder may, however, obtain an updated permit at a cost of $ 10.00. There is a statutory requirement to change the address on your driver’s license within 30 days after changing your residence (171.11).  

Where do I renew my permit?
Permits must be renewed at the county sheriff’s office in the county where the applicant currently resides. Out of state permit holders can renew at any sheriff’s office.  

I suggest you read 624.714 from time to time along with a few other key statutes and the MN BCA info page.  Notify your current Sheriff that issued your permit that your moving, pay the money to get a new card.  They will have you fill out the application, mainly to update your addresses.  When you have to renew then go to Dakota County and renew before the date (no earlier than 90 days prior to expiration) of your current permits expiration.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only up to when it expires, if it expires, and you now reside in a new county, you go through that county for renewal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top