Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2014 8:36:27 AM EDT
Just wondering if anyone knows what the laws are pertaining to giving someone time to get there stuff out of your house when they no longer live in it, and what method of notifying them is best and most legal, is a text ok, or should it be from a lawyer etc?

Long story...
I broke up with my now ex-gf the weekend of July 4, she has not lived at my house since then but still has a shit ton of her and her kids stuff there, she still gets mail there also. This past weekend and a few days this week I have packed up all her stuff and put it in my garage, changed my locks so she can no longer have access to my house.

So I am wondering what I actually have to give her for a time limit to get her stuff from my garage now, is it 30 days, or since its already been 2 months that it has sat at my house and she has not attempted to remove it, can I shorten it, also what is the best way to notify her, will a simple text message be enough?

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#1]
In a situation where an individual, including an ex spouse, has failed to retrieve stored items, absent the application of any court order or specific statute relating to the property, Minnesota Statutes 345.75 controls. If property has not been removed within six months after it comes into the possession of a person, it may be considered abandoned and shall become the property of the person in possession, after notice to the prior owner. Thirty days' notice that the time period has elapsed and that the ownership will be transferred at the end of the 30 days shall be given to the prior owner personally or by certified mail, which is actually received. If the name of the prior owner is not known, and cannot be ascertained with reasonable diligence, three weeks' published notice shall be given in the county where the property is located. The prior owner or another person claiming an interest in the property may petition the district court to stay the transfer of ownership for a reasonable period to allow the removal of the property. The transfer is stayed while the petition is pending before the court.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In a situation where an individual, including an ex spouse, has failed to retrieve stored items, absent the application of any court order or specific statute relating to the property, Minnesota Statutes 345.75 controls. If property has not been removed within six months after it comes into the possession of a person, it may be considered abandoned and shall become the property of the person in possession, after notice to the prior owner. Thirty days' notice that the time period has elapsed and that the ownership will be transferred at the end of the 30 days shall be given to the prior owner personally or by certified mail, which is actually received. If the name of the prior owner is not known, and cannot be ascertained with reasonable diligence, three weeks' published notice shall be given in the county where the property is located. The prior owner or another person claiming an interest in the property may petition the district court to stay the transfer of ownership for a reasonable period to allow the removal of the property. The transfer is stayed while the petition is pending before the court.
View Quote

Thank you, Unfortunately after reading that I am still unsure of what it's saying exactly. Any chance u can explain it in layman's terms?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thank you, Unfortunately after reading that I am still unsure of what it's saying exactly. Any chance u can explain it in layman's terms?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to notify her by CERTIFIED MAIL that she has 6 months to get her stuff. You CANNOT damage it. If after 5 months she has not attempted to get her stuff, you have to notify her again by certified mail that she has 30 days left. If it still has not been retrieved it becomes your property and you can do with it what you want.

EDIT to add: You can notify her in person, but then you have no proof unless you have a witness. I would send the certified letter.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, thank you.

well that sux, 6 mos, fuck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top