Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2014 2:54:14 PM EDT
The local media is full of people complaining about the sooouuuper scary black helicopters flying around...are the local dingbats who comment on those stories representative of people in this area or do the freaks just gravitate to newspaper comment sections?  

Pussies.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:51:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#2]
You're cool with military training exercises being run in urban areas without anybody being notified?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not?  They're the good guys, aren't they?  Lots of commercial, civil, military,  and police aviation flies and trains over the cities every single day.  I hope no one is saying with a straight face that an urban area should be quiet and peaceful with advance notice of all overflights.  Try living near Oceana, VA or Ft Campbell, KY if you think advance notice should be given for all training.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not?  They're the good guys, aren't they?  Lots of commercial, civil, military,  and police aviation flies and trains over the cities every single day.  I hope no one is saying with a straight face that an urban area should be quiet and peaceful with advance notice of all overflights.  Try living near Oceana, VA or Ft Campbell, KY if you think advance notice should be given for all training.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

The good guys?  You mean the federal government?  I guess so.

I would say with a straight face that military training maneuvers involving blacked out helicopters flying through a downtown area at night would warrant some advance notice to the general citizenry.  Especially since it was planned months in advance.  Your straw man argument of "advance notice of all overflights" is silly.  This was not what most would call an overflight, but rather several helicopters flying in formation through downtown, between buildings for 4 hours or so.  Not exactly an everyday occurrence.  Is there some reason people need to have the crap scared out of them?  Was there some sort of "tactical" advantage in the public not knowing this was going to happen?  How could their foreknowledge possibly have affected the training exercise?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm glad you'll grudgingly accept the US military are good guys.  You're a fine American.  

Supposedly people were lining up to watch this training the last time it happened in 2012, so for security and safety reasons the Army requested no advance notice.  That's the official line at least.  I can see if there are people watching from an open field and the birds need to hover or touch down there, that might cause a hassle.  But I'll admit a blurb in the media about helicopter training coming over the next week wouldn't harm anything.

What I'm laughing about though, are the absolute nutters who are saying things like SOF has no business training in the US; there's no value to training in urban areas, the view from my $500k condo shouldn't be dirtied up by evil military helicopters, etc.  The MN loons have really come out of the woodwork, pun intended.  Screw them all.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I read on a news site that they were going to be flying around.

It was the day before, not weeks ahead of time, but it was still a warning.....  Maybe people just need to pay attention to the local news more often
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm glad you'll grudgingly accept the US military are good guys.  You're a fine American.  
View Quote

You sir, have elevated straw man arguments to a new art form.  I do not have a problem with the military, but the folks that tell them what to do make me nervous.  Are familiar with our CiC?  Training is fine, but training of this type should come with some advance notice to the people being affected. Events involving military helicopters and personnel doing things people have never seen them do before in a place they haven't done it before make people nervous in this day and age, and rightly so.  

What other types of unannounced training scenarios would you be ok with, so long as the "good guys" were doing them?  How about sealing off your neighborhood and having checkpoints with armed guards keeping people from going in or out?  After they were done they would of course announce that it was just for training.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it is a natural reaction to be skeptical of military operations and/or training held in US Cities.  Thomas Jefferson would certainly have it no other way.

Personally, I have a problem with it.  I acknowledge that the US military are "the good guys" but that does not mean I feel comfortable with this.

Reminder of Military Exercises in Minneapolis

August 19th, 2014 (MINNEAPOLIS) The Minneapolis Police Department would like to remind residents that nighttime military training exercises will continue, sporadically, through Thursday evening. The Department of Defense is coordinating and conducting the training for military members while the MPD solely maintains a supportive, logistical role.

We apologize for any alarm or inconvenience the training may cause. Due to safety and security concerns, the exact location of the exercises cannot be released. The MPD is currently working with the DOD to determine what information may be broadcast in the areas where residents are most affected. General locations may be broadcast on our twitter account, @MPD_PIO, whenever it is possible and appropriate.

We appreciate broadcast media outlets informing the public Monday evening and urge outlets to reissue the information Tuesday if possible, so as many residents as possible are aware of the training.

Similar training took place in the Twin Cities metro in 2012 and planning for the current operations has been months in the making. The routine training is conducted by military personnel in cities across the country and training sites and times have been carefully selected to minimize the impact on the daily routine of residents. The training is not open to the public.
View Quote

Just read the above press announcement and tell me that just reading this announcement tells you anything about what is happening apart from "Military training exercises" in South Minneapolis.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You sir, have elevated straw man arguments to a new art form.  I do not have a problem with the military, but the folks that tell them what to do make me nervous.  Are familiar with our CiC?  Training is fine, but training of this type should come with some advance notice to the people being affected. Events involving military helicopters and personnel doing things people have never seen them do before in a place they haven't done it before make people nervous in this day and age, and rightly so.  

What other types of unannounced training scenarios would you be ok with, so long as the "good guys" were doing them?  How about sealing off your neighborhood and having checkpoints with armed guards keeping people from going in or out?  After they were done they would of course announce that it was just for training.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you accuse me of strawman arguments?  Look, the 160th are not training to take your guns or your freedom; they're training to fly in urban areas overseas.  Most of the world's population lives in urban areas and aviators need to be constantly exposed to new training environments to keep their skills sharp.  Flying around the same three buildings on some Army base won't cut it.  And their mission will remain the same no matter who's president.  As for advance notice, I've already stated my opinion of adults scared by the sound of helicopters.  Old women and young kids being scared I can sort of understand, although I think even young kids would enjoy the spectacle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Perhaps this whole thing is a reminder that some explanations can go a long way, especially in areas that don't have much of a military footprint.  But we should start from a baseline of understanding that military training happens everywhere, not just on military bases, for a variety of legitimate reasons.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#12]
NIMBY.

I liked Joe Soucheray's idea of sending them to Chicago to make the gangbangers crap their pants, or to Detroit where there's nobody to bother.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
NIMBY.

I liked Joe Soucheray's idea of sending them to Chicago to make the gangbangers crap their pants, or to Detroit where there's nobody to bother.
View Quote

They won't. Probably get shot at flying over either place. Surprised some dumb ass hasn't tried already.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They won't. Probably get shot at flying over either place. Surprised some dumb ass hasn't tried already.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NIMBY.

No doubt. Said dumbass could say firing at the copter was just a training exercise for when our government starts using the military to murder us.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#16]
dpmmn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top