Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2014 2:02:04 PM EDT
I am heading up next weekend.  Any tips for a first time offroader?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#1]
OHV or ATV?

It's one of the few places in the state for OHVs to really do anything.

For ATVs, it's fun for a day or two, but not really my kind of riding.   The iron in the mud/water also permanently stained the ATV I had at the time.  My brother owns it now, and 10 years later it's still stained red.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#2]
OHV.  Got the sticker finally for my 05' wrangler.  I am stoked but I also don't want to smoke my daily driver.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 6:08:09 AM EDT
[#3]
TAG
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Print off a copy of the map. Pretty large area to get disoriented. Maybe a gps too. Was up a couple years ago with my polaris ranger. Had my jeep up there too a few years back. Some areas do get a little hairy. Hope your going with a group in the event of a problem. Don't get to ballsy 1st time up. learn the trails and have fun.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the tip about the map and GPS.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OHV or ATV?

It's one of the few places in the state for OHVs to really do anything.

For ATVs, it's fun for a day or two, but not really my kind of riding.   The iron in the mud/water also permanently stained the ATV I had at the time.  My brother owns it now, and 10 years later it's still stained red.

View Quote

Ive lived up here on the range almost my whole life, been riding atv's and dirtbikes up here for half that, ive never had anything stained permanently from the iron ore, simple green and a good scrub brush work very well to remove the iron stains. Best to get it washed asap after riding in it though.

Only been to the park in gilbert on dirt bike and few times when it first opened, watch for oncoming traffic when sections get tight, been a few incidents over the years from head ons and simikar. Have fun otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Print off a copy of the map. Pretty large area to get disoriented. Maybe a gps too. Was up a couple years ago with my polaris ranger. Had my jeep up there too a few years back. Some areas do get a little hairy. Hope your going with a group in the event of a problem. Don't get to ballsy 1st time up. learn the trails and have fun.
View Quote

Map, OK...But GPS?  It's only a 1200 acre park. That's less than 2 square miles. I believe there are emergency call boxes scattered about.  It's pretty hard to get lost there.  Most of the trails are very small loops.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#8]
It was awesome!  We stayed at the campground on the outskirt of the park and the people there were extremely helpful.  I will try to add pics soon.  Didn't break anything so I am pretty happy.  I am pretty stoked about my next visit.  Household6 has already told me that I am getting a lift and a winch for Christmas.  She had a blast too.  

The only real improvements I needed for my trip really had to do with the campground and not the wheeling.  Thanks for all the tips guys and gals.

A GPS would have been helpful just for the fact that people steal the signs so map reading is a must for learning which trails you want to go on.

There sure were some monster vehicles out there
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a great trip.  UI really need to hook up wit some of the folks up here with OHVs, don't have one myself, and the Gilbert park is less than 20 miles from me
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice. Looking forward to pics.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sounds like a great trip.  UI really need to hook up wit some of the folks up here with OHVs, don't have one myself, and the Gilbert park is less than 20 miles from me
View Quote

There's so many trails around that are so much nicer though. The parks about 25 mins from me but I would never go there with all the other trails that are available. If I'm going to drive for trails that are worth it, I'm going to thistledew trails and camping nearby for the weekend. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:21:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There's so many trails around that are so much nicer though. The parks about 25 mins from me but I would never go there with all the other trails that are available. If I'm going to drive for trails that are worth it, I'm going to thistledew trails and camping nearby for the weekend. Just my opinion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had no idea that there were other trails up there. Thanks for sharing.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]
There is a trail that starts up close to royalton. Can't remember the name of it but good parking to unload. Supposed to go up toward duluth and intersects with other trails. Been wanting to do this but don't care to go alone. If anyone is up for a long run. let me know if you want to try this trail. Its an old RR line turned into a trail. Will try to find the info on it and post it.
Found it.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/map.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I rode the old rr grade through Meadowlands up to the range.  They get old as they are too Damn straight and hardpacked.  Essa and Magnetation have blocked off a lot of my favorite riding spots as well.  There's still a pile of land and trails to ride up north though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I did the entire Soo Line South one time.  I was begging to be put out of my misery.

The best riding I've found so far in the state is the Paul Bunyan S.F.  Trails there spread out forever.  Nemadji is very popular as it's pretty decent and the closest real riding area to the cities.

The Black Hills are really awesome though :)  

My dream is to one day do Moab and Paiute areas in Utah.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:33:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

The Black Hills are really awesome though :)  

Yes they are. I just got back from there a week ago.

The Badlands have a couple of fun trails too. Just look out for the unexploded ordnance.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I rode the old rr grade through Meadowlands up to the range.  They get old as they are too Damn straight and hardpacked.  Essa and Magnetation have blocked off a lot of my favorite riding spots as well.  There's still a pile of land and trails to ride up north though.
View Quote

Yep the RR grade trails get old fast, but there are trails off of them by me that are nice to take so you're only on the grade for a brief period of time. Besides the Essa and Magnatation parts being blocked there's also the bike path now that has taken up what used to be good trails to get around up here on, u can still risk skirting the edge of the bike path if needed to get somewhere but it sux if u get caught. Its not at all like it used to be up here for riding with the bike path and other changes that have taken place, kinda sad in a way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top