Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2014 1:52:57 PM EDT
Title says it all.  I know you guys are fighting for your NFA rights. Last I checked the battle was underway.  

Anyone got  a link to a state organisation who is actively involved in the fight?  I'd like to donate.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't heard much of anything. I think we're suffering from a lack of organization. Nothing I'd like more than to see the ban lifted, but I am still in college and have zero clout. If there's anything I can do, let me know as well.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't heard much of anything. I think we're suffering from a lack of organization. Nothing I'd like more than to see the ban lifted, but I am still in college and have zero clout. If there's anything I can do, let me know as well.
View Quote

Are there any Minnesota specific State Firearms rights organizations active? Here in Nebraska we have the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association which is like the NRA for just Nebraska. They are active and lobbying the state government as well as locals when they can.  There has got to be a similar thing up north with you guys.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

From what I know everything depends on who gets elected as Governor

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Title says it all.  I know you guys are fighting for your NFA rights. Last I checked the battle was underway.  

Anyone got  a link to a state organisation who is actively involved in the fight?  I'd like to donate.

From what I know everything depends on who gets elected as Governor

Since I don't follow your State level politics, who do we need to be elected?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone but Dayton would help. We have some libertarian candidates running on the libertarian party last I heard. Will probably split the non d vote, allowing fir a libtard win.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:13:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I honestly don't think we're going to get any traction in the current political climate. Even if we were to successfully wrestle it through the legislature, we'd never have a chance of overriding the inevitable veto. I'd rather spend the resources when we have a better chance of getting it done.

In a nut shell, this is a "wait it out" issue.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:34:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anyone but Dayton would help. We have some libertarian candidates running on the libertarian party last I heard. Will probably split the non d vote, allowing fir a libtard win.
View Quote

Yep. Same as the rest of the country.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I honestly don't think we're going to get any traction in the current political climate.
View Quote

FWIW, suppressors were legalized for dealers only fairly recently. That doesn't put one in my hands, but it is a start.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:15:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I think what we will need is an organization that is able to put a more unified front like GOCRA or similar.  I think many people are willing to donate time and treasure for this cause they just don't know how to go about doing it.  That's my 2 cents anyway.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think what we will need is an organization that is able to put a more unified front like GOCRA or similar.  I think many people are willing to donate time and treasure for this cause they just don't know how to go about doing it.  That's my 2 cents anyway.
View Quote

This.

I've suggested starting a Suppressor PAC here and the idea was met with "meh" type enthusiasm.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.

I've suggested starting a Suppressor PAC here and the idea was met with "meh" type enthusiasm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I'd be all for that. I have no experience with such things but im more than willing to help out.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:22:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been trying to spread the word while doing gun shows.  I post one of the maps on my table showing what states they are legal in and which states they are not.  It usually starts a good and informative conversation.  While most people I have talked to are very open to it, I still do not think many of those know how the NFA process works.  I have only had two folks so far mumble that we will never see them legalized.  I remind them that they were probably the same ones who said we would never be a "Shall Issue" state.

Now on the libertarian comment.  I have had the opportunity to meet some of the people running and they are class acts.  These are people I would like to see gain some traction but I am also a realist.  But I am going to stick with what I believe in rather than keep voting for the giant douche or turn sandwich.  At a gathering they had in Otsego a couple weeks ago I brought the firearms discussion up during a Q&A with Heather Johnson, who is running for senate.  While I felt she tried to give me the professional answer on the subject (which was a positive answer) I quickly brought up the NFA issue and suppressors.  While I know most in that room had little to know idea on many firearms restrictions in the state, or how the NFA process works, they were very open to say that the citizens should not have their arms restricted.  I got to talk to a couple folks a little more privately after the fact and they tend to agree, that at the time the constitution was written, ARMS were meant as what was available to the military and because technology changes, the law shouldn't.

Heather also made a comment that if lobbyist tried to confront her she would notify them of her tape recorder and that they would be recorded.  She seems like a badass, and has my vote!
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I hate to say it but with the DFL in control of the legislature AND with Dayton in office any suppressor bill is going to be DOA.  Even if it was  possible to get a bill through the current legislature (which I can't fathom), there's no way Dayton will sign it.

Hennepin County sheriff and the Minneapolis and Saint Paul police Chiefs would not back it and that's all he would need to hear.

We need a Republican in the governor's office to make that happen.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Buddy of mine sent me this petition link. Probably won't help, but can't hurt:

MN Suppressor Petition

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Buddy of mine sent me this petition link. Probably won't help, but can't hurt:

MN Suppressor Petition

View Quote

Signed!
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#17]
There would be a way to make it happen with the aforementioned in office, but you would have to explain it in words they understand, speak very slowly, and maybe even use pictures drawn with crayons or maybe use a cool powerpoint slideshow with large graphic images that simplify everything.  First explain to them what a suppressor actually costs, and show them the data on how many of these are selling in other states.  When you can finally get them to understand how much sales tax revenue the state is losing out on, then explain to them that the feds also get an additional $200 per unit.  Maybe then convince governor prozac that per every $10K the state earns for the feds, they will raise the interest on his accounts in Sodak.  Maybe, then maybe, the imbeciles will figure it out.  Isn't this how government actually works?

Quoted:
I hate to say it but with the DFL in control of the legislature AND with Dayton in office any suppressor bill is going to be DOA.  Even if it was  possible to get a bill through the current legislature (which I can't fathom), there's no way Dayton will sign it.

Hennepin County sheriff and the Minneapolis and Saint Paul police Chiefs would not back it and that's all he would need to hear.

We need a Republican in the governor's office to make that happen.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#18]
The only thing these morons care about is how much money can be made for the state. Show them what other states are making per year. Then you will get there attention.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The only thing these morons care about is how much money can be made for the state. Show them what other states are making per year. Then you will get there attention.
View Quote

Indeed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#20]
According to the GOCRA Facebook feed, it looks like they are starting to bring up the silencer issue.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I think getting more LE departments to own cans and use them would make huge strides towards getting the general LE community in favor of them. I just had a conversation with one of the local Sheriffs at the range who was using his department owned surefire can and all their officers love them and think they should be legal for everyone. Even for LE departments, it is a PITA to get them. The AG from his county wouldn't allow anyone to come down and demo the cans so he ended up having to go to hennepin county for the demo (since the hennipin county AG allows them) and bought the cans from the dealer, then had to go to WI in uniform and pick them up for the department.

They've been using them for 3 years now.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#22]
IMHO there are more serious gun issues to fight for first.

Let's get rid of the stupid 'permit to purchase' nonsense

How do we sit as far as range protection?

Metrocrats are always launching new anti legislation, lets get them voted out.

we can loop back aorund for supressors, better full auto rules, etc. later
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You lost me.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

87A Shooting Range Protection Act

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

87A Shooting Range Protection Act

From The SRPA doc:
What is a brief explanation ofthe Noise Standard referenced in Chapter 87 A?
The noise level referenced in the shooting range law refers to measuring the sound level over an hour's
time at a neighboring property that is receiving the sound generated at a range, to determine a "steady
state" level of sound, which is referred to as the Leq(h). This steady state cannot exceed 63 decibels
(dBA), and will include the sound generated by the range, along with all other sounds generated and
recorded at that [sound] receiving location. Collectively, this will include gunshots, and all other
ambient noise. Specific sound measurement methodology, including procedure, equipment, etc., is
defined in Minnesota Rules, Section 7300.0060.

Could you Minnesotans use this as a precept for pursing suppressor legalization? After all I know how concerned you are with noise pollution.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think getting more LE departments to own cans and use them would make huge strides towards getting the general LE community in favor of them. I just had a conversation with one of the local Sheriffs at the range who was using his department owned surefire can and all their officers love them and think they should be legal for everyone. Even for LE departments, it is a PITA to get them. The AG from his county wouldn't allow anyone to come down and demo the cans so he ended up having to go to hennepin county for the demo (since the hennipin county AG allows them) and bought the cans from the dealer, then had to go to WI in uniform and pick them up for the department.

They've been using them for 3 years now.
View Quote

And he is by letter of the law breaking the statute by shooting it outside of tactical operations.  Statute isn't friendly to le really at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top