Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2014 1:43:21 PM EDT
?

Walk in, 4473, walk out.  

Do I really need to spend the time special ordering one and pay shipping and transfer fees to avoid paying well over full retail?    
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay fair enough, haha.  I need it to be aluminum though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Really interested in doing a pistol build, but, don't feel like dropping tons o cash on a pistol lower.

Tag
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Try Atomic or get a $50 blem from PSA and deal with the five minutes of extra hassle.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Really interested in doing a pistol build, but, don't feel like dropping tons o cash on a pistol lower.

Tag
View Quote

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STSL&name=Spike's+Tactical+AR15+Lower+Receiver&groupid=855&fprdct=1

I might do this.  $89.95 and free shipping to the FFL.  I never seem to be online when the Anderson lowers go on sale.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#7]
We have the Deals up at Element Come on up and see us!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We have the Deals up at Element Come on up and see us!
View Quote

I'd be up there more often if the gas cost of an 80 minute round trip didn't kill any savings that might be had. :(
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Arnzen had 'em for $79.95 a month ago.   I haven't been in there lately though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was just there today. They have Andersons for $75
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Aero Precision blem lower for $55 if you can wait a few extra days.  Have to look close to see the marks on the one I picked up last year.

Aero Precision Blem Lower

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe a gun show?

Armslist?

Apparently, not at any nearby retailer.

Take a trip to Gilbrt, MN and get a Range Tool lower (my personal favorites now).  With an econo car, should be able to do it for a C note.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Maybe a gun show?

Armslist?

Apparently, not at any nearby retailer.

Take a trip to Gilbrt, MN and get a Range Tool lower (my personal favorites now).  With an econo car, should be able to do it for a C note.
View Quote

Do they have a storefront? I hunt near Hibbing and want to stop by. But not for nothing. Plus. I always get delayed so I want to do it when I am up there for a few days.

Link Posted: 6/21/2014 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Not sure if a store front, I have only ordered online.  
Good chance to see if they answer their phones and then pass on the info!
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Tag
View Quote

Lowers for pistols are the same as rifle lowers. Making a lower for a pistol has to be built in a certain order. It has to be barreled as a pistol first. Easiest way is buy a stripped lower, build you short barreled upper, attach upper to lower, and you now have lower that can be a pistol or a rifle.

If put a 16"+ barrel on first, its now permanently a rifle lower and cannot be a pistol lower.

My 300 blackout pistol build ran me about $550 without a bcg and charging handle as I swap those from other AR's.

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not sure if a store front, I have only ordered online.  
Good chance to see if they answer their phones and then pass on the info!
View Quote

I'll do that this week if I can remember.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Received this E-mail from Range Tool.

Er_Mah_Gerd,

We do not have a store front.

We mostly only do commercial transfers (to other dealers).

Thank you,

Michael Peterson
The Range Tool Company
310 North Broadway
PO Box 713
Gilbert, MN 55741
www.rangetool.com
[email protected]
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 4:57:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Lowers for pistols are the same as rifle lowers. Making a lower for a pistol has to be built in a certain order. It has to be barreled as a pistol first. Easiest way is buy a stripped lower, build you short barreled upper, attach upper to lower, and you now have lower that can be a pistol or a rifle.

If put a 16"+ barrel on first, its now permanently a rifle lower and cannot be a pistol lower.

My 300 blackout pistol build ran me about $550 without a bcg and charging handle as I swap those from other AR's.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tag

Err.....that's wrong.

You can put whatever length of barrel on it. That's not the problem.

See ATF Ruling 2011-4. In a nutshell:

The short version:

The receiver must be sold as either "Other" (stripped), or "pistol", on the 4473. It cannot be sold as a rifle (with a buttstock attached, makes it a rifle, and must be transferred as such). A RECEIVER SOLD AS A RIFLE (either as a complete firearm or with an attached buttstock but otherwise bare) CAN NEVER BE CONVERTED TO A PISTOL. Not legally. Once sold as a rifle, always a rifle.

It cannot exist with parts that can only turn it into an NFA firearm (i.e. having the stripped receiver, a short upper...and a buttstock assembly, without having a longer 16" barreled upper; that constitutes an SBR as it can only ever be built into an NFA item with the available parts).

If you want to shoot your pistol as a rifle, you must first remove the short upper entirely, attach a long barrel upper, and only then can you attach the buttstock assembly. Shoot as a rifle. To revert it back to a pistol, you must first remove the buttstock assembly, and then you can swap the uppers. At no point ever can it have a buttstock on with a short upper.

Again - this can only be done on lowers that were sold as "other", or "pistol". If you bought a rifle, you cannot do this.

Yes, it's a tedious bunch of legal and technical BS. Just register your lower with the ATF as an SBR and avoid all the hassle.

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Err.....that's wrong.

The short version:

The receiver must be sold as either "Other" (stripped), or "pistol", on the 4473. It cannot be sold as a rifle (with a buttstock attached, makes it a rifle, and must be transferred as such). A RECEIVER SOLD AS A RIFLE (either as a complete firearm or with an attached buttstock but otherwise bare) CAN NEVER BE CONVERTED TO A PISTOL. Not legally. Once sold as a rifle, always a rifle.

It cannot exist with parts that can only turn it into an NFA firearm (i.e. having the stripped receiver, a short upper...and a buttstock assembly, without having a longer 16" barreled upper; that constitutes an SBR as it can only ever be built into an NFA item with the available parts).

If you want to shoot your pistol as a rifle, you must first remove the short upper entirely, attach a long barrel upper, and only then can you attach the buttstock assembly. Shoot as a rifle. To revert it back to a pistol, you must first remove the buttstock assembly, and then you can swap the uppers. At no point ever can it have a buttstock on with a short upper.

Again - this can only be done on lowers that were sold as "other", or "pistol". If you bought a rifle, you cannot do this.

Yes, it's a tedious bunch of legal and technical BS. Just register your lower with the ATF as an SBR and avoid all the hassle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tag

Err.....that's wrong.

The short version:

Forgot to.mention the lower has to be " other" or "pistol". That part I knew.
I thought I read somewhere that a complete lower with a buttstock but without an upper had to be sold as an " other" and and that it has to be "barreled" in order to determine if its a rifle or other.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 1:11:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I thought I read somewhere that a complete lower with a buttstock but without an upper had to be sold as an " other" and and that it has to be "barreled" in order to determine if its a rifle or other.
View Quote

Whomever told you that was very very wrong
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll look into some more. I found the ATF letter that said complete lowers with a buttstock that has not been barreled as a rifle can be made into a pistols, etc.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'll look into some more. I found the ATF letter that said complete lowers with a buttstock that has not been barreled as a rifle can be made into a pistols, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's contrary to every "ruling" I've seen from them...but, things change I guess; when was the letter sent?

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's contrary to every "ruling" I've seen from them...but, things change I guess; when was the letter sent?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a letter from 2011 but I'm retarded when it comes to posting pics and links on a tablet.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#25]
link

Hopefully this works
Looks like it was 2010, not 2011.
There was another letter that said the buffer tube doesn't have to be a pistol specific buffer.  Others have use a1, a2 or carbine buffer tubes.

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
link

Hopefully this works
There was another letter that said the buffer tube doesn't have to be a pistol specific buffer.  Others have use a1, a2 or carbine buffer tubes.

View Quote

Yeah, I knew about the carbine RE, but always read that it can't have had a buttstock on it, ever...but, 2010 is more recent than the last time I did any checking into it So, well, I stand corrected
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, I knew about the carbine RE, but always read that it can't have had a buttstock on it, ever...but, 2010 is more recent than the last time I did any checking into it So, well, I stand corrected
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
link

Hopefully this works

No problem

Knowing how the atf changes things, you had me thinking "Shit did they change the ruling again?"
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#28]
It's shit like this is why I said fuckit and just registered some lowers as SBRs. I could play internet and government detective and try to piece things together in the correct order and hope I'm legal at the range out in public....OR, I could just throw $200 at the government and never, ever have to worry about it.

Some people go on about "but now you're on a list!"...I got news; if you filled out a 4473, ever, you're on a list If you have a Social Security Number...you're on a list. Have a passport? List! There's also lots of FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) out there about NFA stuff and the process which seems to scare a lot of people away from what is actually a fairly painless procedure; the hardest part for me is getting finger printed, which for me is a quick stop at the county courthouse with some cash...it's just the anywhere from 3 to 9 month wait that's "difficult". Of course it helps if you have a county sheriff that understands the 2nd is a fundamental right and has no problem signing off on Form 1 or Form 4s...

For those that don't have a great sheriff...sorry
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Element has all of their forged lowers for$100 right now, including spikes.I was just there this weekend.I think the sale is going on for another week.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Atomic Tactical is the place to go in the Metro. The have some great staff there too.
There is always plenty of lowers in that price range to choose from.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top