Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2014 10:52:07 AM EDT
Moving from NoDak to Minnesota and wondering how big of a change I can expect in gun laws
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#1]
No suppressors, and that's about it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No special permit to buy heat seeking , cop murdering baby killer rifles or pistols?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

No special permit to buy heat seeking , cop murdering baby killer rifles or pistols?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

NO.

Also, no rifles/shottys in the vehicle unless cased and unloaded. (there are special provisions for hunting, and I dispute the BCA's ruling on PLAIN ENGLISH LAW that you can have rifles in the vehicle with a PTC, but anyway).

Get your PTC right away, if you don't have it yet. You can carry either concealed OR open. (not starting that debate here)

Also, you can't hunt on whatever land that isn't posted.

Dayton is a douche.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, right, yes, there is a purchase permit, but that only applies to hand guns and is unneeded if you have a carry permit. It's free to apply for, lasts for one year, and usually has a fairly quick turnaround.

Get the purchase permit first, then apply for a carry permit which'll take a bit longer due to class requirements and processing time.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Oh, right, yes, there is a purchase permit, but that only applies to hand guns and is unneeded if you have a carry permit. It's free to apply for, lasts for one year, and usually has a fairly quick turnaround.

Get the purchase permit first, then apply for a carry permit which'll take a bit longer due to class requirements and processing time.
View Quote
As a point of clarification, the permit to PURCHASE is free. Permit to CARRY will run you about $250 all said and done (you have to take a class )

Edit to clarify my point of clarification
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Also applies to anything meeting the state description of "assault rifle" pretty much two "evil" features.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As a point of clarification, the permit to PURCHASE is free. Permit to CARRY will run you about $250 all said and done (you have to take a class )  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are paying too much for your classes
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What part of North Dakota are you from?
View Quote

I'm moving from Fargo to Glyndon so a whopping total of 20 mins away, but still on the Minnesota side. Found a cheap property for the horses.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Sheesh that is still Fargo Moorhead NO BIG DEAL
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sheesh that is still Fargo Moorhead NO BIG DEAL
View Quote

Yeah but I'll be a Minnesota resident.....which means no more super awesome NoDak "here you go" gun laws
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:30:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Must have been really cheap to compensate for the taxes over here
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:32:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Class, ammo, lunch, sheriff. 225-250 all said and done it was for me.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:27:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe, but if you don't live around the cities you've gotta take what you can get.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Maybe, but if you don't live around the cities you've gotta take what you can get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't live in the cities
Everyone around here is $70-80 for the class, several include gun rental and ammo.
Most SO's are charging another $70-80 for the permit.
So paying more then $200 seems like a rip off
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

165k, 10 acres for horses with a 2 acre yard, out in the sticks, 25 mins away from work, 3 bed 2 bath 2 stall detached garage.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

55 minutes south of Fargo that's only $60k...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

165k, 10 acres for horses with a 2 acre yard, out in the sticks, 25 mins away from work, 3 bed 2 bath 2 stall detached garage.

55 minutes south of Fargo that's only $60k...  

Trying to stay within 30 mins of Fargo
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No more transporting guns with loaded magazine...  Must be unloaded & cased.

I moved the other way - mn to nd!
View Quote

Mat, please show me the statute where this applies.

Are you saying that I cannot transport a loaded rifle or pistol magazine in my vehicle in the state of Minnesota?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:00:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Are you saying that I cannot transport a loaded rifle or pistol magazine in my vehicle in the state of Minnesota?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Only pistol with a ptc. This according to the BCA. I read the law as otherwise, but have no desire to test them in court.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Only pistol with a ptc. This according to the BCA. I read the law as otherwise, but have no desire to test them in court.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I should've worded that better.

I only meant loaded magazines for rifle or pistol kept separate from the firearm. Not a loaded firearm.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:50:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nope... Sorry MIS-typed...  In ND you can have a loaded mag in a rifle next to the driver, uncased, with empty chamber - ready to chamber & fire...  That is NOT legal in MN!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope... Sorry MIS-typed...  In ND you can have a loaded mag in a rifle next to the driver, uncased, with empty chamber - ready to chamber & fire...  That is NOT legal in MN!

I misread also...

I have had people try to tell me not to transport loaded magazines, even separate from the firearm. Seems rediculous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top