Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2014 1:36:44 PM EDT
Just got this email from the NRA, anyone know anything about it?

Minnesota: Your Immediate Action Needed to Stop Suppression of Political Speech, Anti-Gun Language to Now be Considered in Finance Bills

House File 1944 and Senate File 1915, politically motivated measures aimed at suppressing political speech by membership organizations such as the NRA, continue to move quickly through the Minnesota legislature.  These flawed and dangerous bills pose a grave risk to freedom of speech in Minnesota and overreach to impose excessive regulatory burdens on political interests.  HF 1944 and SF 1915 would require organizations like the NRA, who engage in political speech, to disclose the names of many of their donors, including those who pay membership dues. This legislation would re-brand what is now recognized as free speech as “elections speech,” thereby subjecting it to strict and onerous regulations – regulations that would tell organizations what they can and cannot say depending on the time of year.  This legislation would even go so far as to inhibit the NRA’s ability to provide candidate information at critical times before an election.  This legislation is simply an attempt by state politicians to control and discourage any criticism of them and their records.

Your immediate action is needed – please contact your state Senator and Representative TODAY and demand their opposition to any legislation that attacks your First Amendment freedom vital to protect your Second Amendment rights.  Contact information for state Senators can be found here.  Contact information for state Representatives can be found here.  Click here to identify who represents you.

HF 1944 is eligible for House consideration AT ANY TIME.

SF 1915 is scheduled to be considered by the Senate Judiciary Committee tomorrow at 6:00 pm.  Please contact members of this committee TODAY and urge them to OPPOSE this onerous legislation.  Committee members’ contact information can be found here.

Your NRA reported last week on House File 3067 and Senate File 2690.  These bills, as originally written, would have imposed additional regulations, penalties and red tape on permit holders who choose to carry their firearms while visiting the State Capitol Complex.  The NRA worked with the bill sponsors to amend this legislation in committee to remove any worrisome passages.

However, attempts are now being made to incorporate that same anti-gun language to entrap gun owners who wish to carry in the state Capitol into House File 3172 and Senate File 2785.  These additional superfluous regulations would do nothing to improve the notification requirement or process, but instead would create traps for law-abiding permit holders.  This proposed legislation would mandate an arbitrary “renewal” period for those permit holders who previously had notified authorities of their intention to carry on Capitol grounds, requiring that “within 30 days of the renewal date of a person’s permit to carry, the person shall renotify the commissioner of the person’s intent to carry,” or the permit holder could face a felony.  This language is hidden among over 200 pages of bill text, does not improve capitol security and merely gives gun owners another unnecessary hoop to jump through.  Please contact the sponsors of HF 3172 and SF 2785, state Representative Lyndon Carlson Sr. (DFL-45A) and state Senator Richard Cohen (DFL-64), and URGE them to remove this dangerous language!

Anti-gun legislators have been attempting to ban the carrying of firearms in the state Capitol, and since they have continuously failed at instituting a ban, are setting traps for law-abiding permit holders who choose to exercise their Second Amendment rights while petitioning their elected officials.  The carrying of firearms for self-defense by law-abiding permit holders is not a threat to security at the state Capitol.  Minnesota gun owners should not have to choose between their own security and participation in the legislative process.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 3:28:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Does anyone recall the "Disclose Bill" being considered on the federal level awhile back?  This sounds like a state-level version.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm getting sick of fending these clowns off constantly. We all have jobs, but these progressives are actually PAID to do this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The NRA is a 24/7 watchdog, I don't understand gun owners who wont support the NRA with at least a basic membership
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm getting sick of fending these clowns off constantly. We all have jobs, but these progressives are actually PAID to do this.
View Quote

I feel the same way, they are just trying to wear us down, it's really starting to make me mad
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I feel the same way, they are just trying to wear us down, it's really starting to make me mad
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a time-tested tactic
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]
There are some purists who insist the NRA is working against us...

I've not heard if these bills have enough supporters/riders.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There are some purists who insist the NRA is working against us...

I've not heard if these bills have enough supporters/riders.
View Quote

I don't know if I am ready to go so far as to say the NRA is working against us, but I will absolutely say that I was much more impressed with GOCRA on our last ban scare then I was with the NRA. GOCRA had updates in my email everyday on what was happening and did a really good job of communicating what help was needed and when, as far as calls or attendance of a meeting when it was important to show support or disapproval. They have definitely taken over the number 1 slot on my donation list when I have extra cash laying around.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't know if I am ready to go so far as to say the NRA is working against us, but I will absolutely say that I was much more impressed with GOCRA on our last ban scare then I was with the NRA. GOCRA had updates in my email everyday on what was happening and did a really good job of communicating what help was needed and when, as far as calls or attendance of a meeting when it was important to show support or disapproval. They have definitely taken over the number 1 slot on my donation list when I have extra cash laying around.
View Quote

This.

+1000 to GOCRA and the work they do to preserve Minnesotans' 2A rights. Sign up for their email updates on 2A issues during the legislative session. gocra.org
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The NRA has one thing the other groups do not... they are swimming in $$$ and have access to politicians.

If you look at where they were as an organization 40 years ago and where they are today, completely different leadership and mission.

I belong to both the NRA and GOCRA. (wouldn't know it from my profile as the forum admins refuse to recognize my membership card).

Although there is overlap, they do have slightly different perspectives and goals. (for one thing, NRA is more national, GOCRA is more local/grass roots)

That said, the visibility that the GOCRA gives is MN 2A is priceless.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Maybe it is time we wear them down for a change? Not sure how...but I like the idea anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top