Author
Posted: 8/13/2013 5:54:57 AM EST
I recently picked up a new 4 wheeler and I am looking for places to rise that are not too far away from the metro. I am located in Northern Brooklyn Park. Anyone know of anything close?
dpmmn
NRA Life Member
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/13/2013 5:58:11 PM EST
About a hour north
IYAOYAS
l_Ferret_l
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/13/2013 7:31:04 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By dpmmn:
About a hour north

Which trail?
mnhornet
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/14/2013 2:44:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/14/2013 5:13:10 AM EST by mnhornet]
Fun trails down by Hastings too. Don't recall the names. DNR site prolly has a list.

snake creek:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/trail_detail.html?id=21
trout valley:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/trail_detail.html?id=34
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
l_Ferret_l
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/14/2013 9:49:29 AM EST
Wow, it looks like finding a place to ride near the metro is harder than finding a gun range. Right now it looks like the closest place for me to ride is the Tri County Park in Faribault.
midwestoffroad
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/14/2013 7:01:34 PM EST
and it is a gravel pit (faribo) . fun once but not fun after that. . in a few weeks you can ride in the ditches in some areas
l_Ferret_l
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/15/2013 7:58:04 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By midwestoffroad:
and it is a gravel pit (faribo) . fun once but not fun after that. . in a few weeks you can ride in the ditches in some areas

Is there new legislation or are you talking about the agricultural area stuff?
midwestoffroad
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/15/2013 6:06:45 PM EST
the ditches or closed most of the summer for nesting birds and will open again in the fall. each county has its own laws on which roads you can run the ditches most of that info is in the regulations booklet you will get from the DMV
back40
I hoarded Bang Caps as a kid.
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/16/2013 7:50:41 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By l_Ferret_l:
Wow, it looks like finding a place to ride near the metro is harder than finding a gun range. Right now it looks like the closest place for me to ride is the Tri County Park in Faribault.

You didn't think about places to ride before spending $5-$10K?

The two best places in the state are Nemadji or Paul Bunyan State Forests. Nemadji is about 100 miles from you, and is really the closest place to the cities worth driving for.
It is a poor parent who tries to child proof the world instead of world proofing the child.
l_Ferret_l
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/16/2013 5:55:32 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By back40:
Originally Posted By l_Ferret_l:

You didn't think about places to ride before spending $5-$10K?

The two best places in the state are Nemadji or Paul Bunyan State Forests. Nemadji is about 100 miles from you, and is really the closest place to the cities worth driving for.

I knew there probably would not be anything too close, but I was trying to be a little optimistic. With my previous ATV I did a lot of riding at the Tri County Park and at the St. Croix trails by Danbury. I guess I will just have to keep driving a distance to ride.

Does anyone know if you can ride ATVs on the snowmobile trails in NW Anoka County during the summer? I spoke with an Anoka Deputy today and he said he was not sure, but he thought that it would be okay to ride there.
back40
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/16/2013 6:06:57 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By l_Ferret_l

Does anyone know if you can ride ATVs on the snowmobile trails in NW Anoka County during the summer? I spoke with an Anoka Deputy today and he said he was not sure, but he thought that it would be okay to ride there.

Not unless they are signed as open for ATV use. The snowmobilers hate ATV people. But as the climate changes, there is more and more demand for winter ATV trails so I predict that will slowly change as people figure out is stupid to spend 10 Grand on something that's only useful a couple months of the year.
It is a poor parent who tries to child proof the world instead of world proofing the child.
MNGuns
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 4:34:43 PM EST
Head to Onamia area and hit the Soon Line.
back40
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 6:27:14 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By MNGuns:

BORING! 100 miles of flat, straight trail. Did most of it once, never again!
SwedeJesus
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/22/2013 10:12:00 AM EST
Chengwatana east of Pine City used to be ok..been several years since I've been there though
MNGuns
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/22/2013 3:50:28 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By back40:
Originally Posted By MNGuns:

BORING! 100 miles of flat, straight trail. Did most of it once, never again!

Don't get good till mile marker 101 ;)
midwestoffroad
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/25/2013 12:30:25 PM EST
South soo line.

Drop trailer in onimia ride east there is a pretty cool one way loop and you have the red top loop. Great trails the sooline itself is boring. But the loops are the best.

Also nice loop in pine center

Better areas are Gilbert and spider lake. Other are a few loops off the north spp line
Bearcat24
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/7/2013 7:22:07 AM EST
Spider lake isn't bad but gilbert is the best. Gilbert is a long drive so I try to stay at the hotel close by to get some riding in when I go. Haven't been up there since they expanded it. Been awhile since I have been to spider lake too. Anyone willing to get a group together and ride?
l_Ferret_l
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/8/2013 11:27:27 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
Spider lake isn't bad but gilbert is the best. Gilbert is a long drive so I try to stay at the hotel close by to get some riding in when I go. Haven't been up there since they expanded it. Been awhile since I have been to spider lake too. Anyone willing to get a group together and ride?

I would be up for it.