Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2017 8:18:04 PM EDT
Looks like we are moving to the Richmond Ky area.  Any advise on housing / hunting area / shooting ranges in the area?  We had lived in louisville previously for a few years so I was somewhat familiar with that area.  Never really ventured out past lexington except to go to the Red River gorge, so I really don't know much of the area besides what I drove around the last few days.  We will be moving down there in mid August.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to KY.

Richmond has a bypass which goes through EKU, which gets crowded.

There are a number of indoor and outdoor ranges within 45 miles of your AO.

A very good friend of mine lives down in Berea as well.  I-75 runs through Richmond and then into Berea (same county).

You'll be much closer to the RRG as well.

There are a number of CCW instructors in the area as well.  Licenses are $60 and good for 5 years and are reciprocal here
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Richmond is close to Lexington.    That has some advantages for shopping and career opportunities.   Richmond, while a college town, to a degree, is not as ridiculous as Louisville nor Lexington.   It is just north of Berea,  which is a pretty little college town.    Berea is an extremely nut-so, wack-job, libtard college that does rule that area/town.   It only gets worse in that area politically and socially as time progresses.   Fortunately, students come and go.   Young people who go into business locally either figure out their ideas are wrong and change, or they learn to tap into government programs for the arts and culture.    That is a huge part of the economy there.   Another big part of the economy is that many businesses are directly affiliated with the college, for educational reasons of course.  

Red River Gorge (RRG) is nice.   But, it is often too crowded, especially during the summer and the seasonal changing of the leaves.   Every environmentalist and family have to go during the worst part of the year, just to say they have been.     It is best explored during late fall,  the winter, and early spring before everything becomes green.     Eastern KY is where it is at for people who actually like to do things.   Louisville and Lexington are great places to be entertained, but not do things.    For that, hit the mountains.    There is long distance backpacking, hunting, fishing, caving, and a ton of rich, great American history to be explored.   The depth of the culture throughout South Eastern KY is incredible.  

As far as Richmond goes, it is much more tame than Louisville.   Over all, it is much nicer than Louisville.   Let's face it.   There is only one reason to be around Louisville and that is the great economic opportunities all over the city.      Well, that and chasing loose women with (hopefully) very low morals.      There are much worse places to live than Richmond.   It is hard to find better places if you are a working professional.

By the way, Richmond is not much further south than Louisville, though it is significantly further east.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:38:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure to take some time to research and compare the gun laws.   Some are better in KY and some are better in IN.   IN does have one strange one.    Specifically, concealed carry in a bar.   IN requires non-residences to follow their own state's laws while in IN.   IN has had some goofy knife laws in the past, but those have been cleaned up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone shot at sugar creek?  Looks nice online.  
My Ky concealed carry has expired since I lived there last so that will need to be fixed soon this fall.  
Definitely looking forward to spending some time in the east side of the state camping and hunting.  Overall I'm excited for the move.  Just hate looking for housing from a distance
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Best thing about Richmond is the hot wings at Madison Garden. Paddy Wagon and Apollo's have good tap list if you are into that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone shot at sugar creek?  Looks nice online.  
My Ky concealed carry has expired since I lived there last so that will need to be fixed soon this fall.  
Definitely looking forward to spending some time in the east side of the state camping and hunting.  Overall I'm excited for the move.  Just hate looking for housing from a distance
View Quote
Yes, I'm a member there. By far my favorite range.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in Berea and a CCDW instructor. www.fireforeffectccdw.com for more info on my classes.

There is the Central Kentucky Wildlife Management Area rifle range, only thing is you have to shoot thru steel tubes but it is a nice range. I shoot at a private farm but have shot there on occasion.

Buds guns in Lexington has an indoor range, never shot there before.

Other than that find someone with a farm! Good luck and give me a shout if you want a class.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best thing about Richmond is the hot wings at Madison Garden. Paddy Wagon and Apollo's have good tap list if you are into that kind of thing.
View Quote
This man wings
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Not aware of any good ranges near Richmond.
Buds in Lex has an indoor range
Semper Fi on the Fayette/Jesamine border has an indoor range with IDPA every Tues and Thurs evening
BGSL in Wilmore is likely the closest multifunction range.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I am a member at Boyle County Fish and Game Club and it might not be too hard to get there from 75.  It shows 34 miles from my friend's house in Berea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top