Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2017 1:54:14 PM EDT
We are generally going to be between both cities.  Any reason to consider flying into one vs. the other?  (SDF vs. LEX)
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe consider what airlines operate out of each airport. For example SDF serves Southwest, whom I like, LEX does not. LEX has a handful of carriers and most of those are regional subdivisions of major airlines.

Both airports are small enough that they basically close at night. I've been on the last flight out of SDF and the last flight in several times. If you need to drop off or rent a car that might be an issue.

Given the location you might also consider flying in and out of Cincinnati (CVG). It's not that far away and it's a major airport.

Finally, depending on where you're coming from in PA KY isn't that far. I've driven from Louisville to Pittsburgh for work before. Was kind of a long day but not much longer than arsing around at the airport and flying.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
SDF.

Much better selection of carriers and flight times. Lexington's airport is literally too small for some of the larger aircraft in common use.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  I'm about 10.5 hours away.  We're driving next year but this is just a quick long-weekend trip.  I found flights to both LEX and SDF.  LEX is slightly cheaper but SDF has better times.  I'm leaning toward SDF at this point.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Since you posted this on AR15.com, I presume that you are interested in guns. The Louisville International Airport does not prohibit the carrying of firearms either openly or concealed in accordance with state law in the public areas of the airport. Of course, firearms are prohibited by federal law beyond the TSA checkpoint. On the other hand, Lexington's Bluegrass Airport prohibits the possession of firearms anywhere in the terminal building and signs to that effect are posted on all the entrances. This prohibition would include the ticketing area, the indoor check-in area and the baggage retrieval area. I have been unable to find any exception to that policy for firearms packaged for shipment or packed in luggage on either arriving or departing flights. I don't know if this would effect your decision on which airport to use. Good luck and enjoy your stay in KY. Here is a picture of the sign on the entrances to Bluegrass Airport:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2po6qv9uryccyih/Screenshot_2017-07-11-22-47-34.png?dl=0
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Given the location you might also consider flying in and out of Cincinnati (CVG). It's not that far away and it's a major airport.
View Quote
THIS.

The CVG airport  is actually in Kentucky, in the area of Boone county known as Hebron.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Since you posted this on AR15.com, I presume that you are interested in guns. The Louisville International Airport does not prohibit the carrying of firearms either openly or concealed in accordance with state law in the public areas of the airport. Of course, firearms are prohibited by federal law beyond the TSA checkpoint. On the other hand, Lexington's Bluegrass Airport prohibits the possession of firearms anywhere in the terminal building and signs to that effect are posted on all the entrances. This prohibition would include the ticketing area, the indoor check-in area and the baggage retrieval area. I have been unable to find any exception to that policy for firearms packaged for shipment or packed in luggage on either arriving or departing flights. I don't know if this would effect your decision on which airport to use. Good luck and enjoy your stay in KY. Here is a picture of the sign on the entrances to Bluegrass Airport:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2po6qv9uryccyih/Screenshot_2017-07-11-22-47-34.png?dl=0
View Quote
Thank you for that.  I am bringing my CCW in checked baggage, that is good info.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

THIS.

The CVG airport  is actually in Kentucky, in the area of Boone county known as Hebron.  

View Quote
I looked at that option, based on your suggestions.  I actually found the *perfect* flight times in and out of Louisville, and the flight was cheap, so I think we're going that route.

I'm looking forward to the visit, I haven't been in the area since I was at Ft Knox in '91.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Of all the times I've flown out of or into Lexington with a checked firearm, I have never had a problem.  Louisville airport puts you closer to I-64 but Lexington's traffic seems better IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top