Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2017 11:44:27 AM EDT
Today, the new Kansas law that allows concealed carry on all college and university campuses goes into effect. Since Kansas already has constitutional carry, this means that anyone, 21 years of age or older who can legally own a gun can now carry a concealed firearm on any public college or university campus in that state. Ky. has been left behind by the new wave of non-restrictive gun laws that are being passed all over the country. We are no longer a leader in gun rights and run the risk of becoming a state with some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. While other states get constitutional carry, campus carry, and K-12 school carry, we get nothing new. While the citizens of other states are permitted to protect themselves and their loved ones in almost any location, Ky. refuses to allow the same here.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#1]
But, that can't be true!  We have a Republican governor and both houses of the state congress.

Say, when concealed passed, what Republican governor signed it into law?

These Republicans are doing a bang up job.

Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow! The truth hurts! It is a little unfair to compare the accomplishments of the Dems. vs. the Reps. since over the last 100 years, the Dems. have been in power about 85% of the time and have had many more opportunities to accomplish things. In all of this, we must not fail to remember that we were very slow coming to concealed carry. Indiana had concealed carry about 40 years before us and CC started sweeping the nation in the mid 80's. We could not get it until 1996. So yes, the Dems. have given us a lot of good gun laws, but like the old saying, "What have you done for me lately?" The answer is "not much" and that answer works for both sides. Right now, the Reps. have got control. If they can't or won't use it, the Dems could come back. We just need to convince whoever is in charge that they had better keep us happy. Last year was a short session, only 30 days. Hopefully, with 60 days next year we can get something done. I was amazed last year that so many of the members of the General Assembly were so out of touch with what is going on in the rest of the country. Most of them had never heard of constitutional carry and I mean never heard of the concept as well as the name. It was just a new crazy idea for them. The same is true with Campus Cary and K-12 school carry. To many of them in Frankfort, if it doesn't happen in Ky., they think it doesn't happen anywhere and is a wild, crazy, unheard of idea that just can't be allowed. Are the residents of other states so much better behaved than Ky.'s residents that they can be trusted with weapons where we can't be? Are your friends, neighbors and coworkers so irresponsible that they can't be trusted to defend the lives of themselves and their loved ones without resorting to murder and violence? I am not buying it. If it can work in other states without turning to mayhem, it can work here, too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But, that can't be true!  We have a Republican governor and both houses of the state congress.

Say, when concealed passed, what Republican governor signed it into law?

These Republicans are doing a bang up job.

View Quote
The Concealed Carry bill, HB 40 of 1996, was sponsored by the DEMOCRATE Representative from Nicholasville, Bob Damron and was signed into law by the DEMOCRATE Governor, Paul Patton, who within days of signing the bill, turned around and violated a key provision of the new law by exceeding his authority and banning all concealed weapons in all buildings owned or controlled by the state government. DEMOCRATS giveth and DEMOCRATS taketh away. Thankfully, the following year, when the General Assembly met again, they rescinded the governors actions and fixed it all. The buildings were posted against CC for the entire year. I still have a copy of the letter from the Finance and Administration Cabinet Secretary ordering that all the signs be removed after the General Assembly acted to rescind the Governor's actions. Of course, we all know that the DEMOCRATES of 1996 are not the DEMOCRATES of 2017. Not even Ky. DEMOCRATES.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Ky is full of fair weather republicans.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#5]
True, but it is also full of complacent gun owners. Those "fair weather Republicans" would give us anything that we demand, if we just make enough noise, but it never happens. Now,...right now, is the time we should start contacting our state representatives and telling them that we are expecting good things from them this session. We can't wait until December and January. Their priorities are already set by then. Then we need to continue contacting them every week or so until January. Just a short phone call, then an email to remind him, then stop by his office or home. Get to know them and let them learn to know you. It won't happen any other way. Good gun laws don't "just happen" they come from hard work, organization and communication. Get your friends to do the same. You can bet that the anti-gun groups are talking to them. If all they hear is anti-gun rhetoric and fear mongering, what do you think they will assume that they should do?

The issues are:

1. Constitutional Carry (already a bill written & sponsors in place)
2. Elimination of Gun Free Zones on public property(city & county buildings, K-12 schools, colleges, all other public property with just one or two exclusions){Already a bill written and sponsor in place}
3. Clarify the issue of carrying in an airport outside the TSA checkpoints.(Already a bill written and sponsor in place)
4. Encourage private property owners to not post their property against guns, by limiting or eliminating their liability for such actions (we need a sponsor and a bill written).
5. Clarify and expand the possession of firearms in places that serve alcohol. (We need a sponsor and a bill written)
6. ??????? any suggestions?

Right now, many of our state legislators are scratching their heads and thinking, "How can I make a name for myself in January?", "How can I get articles written in the newspapers about me and my new bill in front of the General Assembly?", "How can I get the local TV station to come interview me for the 6 o'clock news?" These issues may be the answer to those questions for your representative.

Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:15:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The issues are:

1. Constitutional Carry (already a bill written & sponsors in place)
2. Elimination of Gun Free Zones on public property(city & county buildings, K-12 schools, colleges, all other public property with just one or two exclusions){Already a bill written and sponsor in place}
3. Clarify the issue of carrying in an airport outside the TSA checkpoints.(Already a bill written and sponsor in place)
4. Encourage private property owners to not post their property against guns, by limiting or eliminating their liability for such actions (we need a sponsor and a bill written).
5. Clarify and expand the possession of firearms in places that serve alcohol. (We need a sponsor and a bill written)
6. ??????? any suggestions?

Right now, many of our state legislators are scratching their heads and thinking, "How can I make a name for myself in January?", "How can I get articles written in the newspapers about me and my new bill in front of the General Assembly?", "How can I get the local TV station to come interview me for the 6 o'clock news?" These issues may be the answer to those questions for your representative.[/b]

[/b][/size=3]
View Quote
Once again, Softpoint is doing all the heavy-lifting for us.   I'd hate it if he got tired of it and quit, but I wouldn't hate him for it.   We lean on him way too much.

I can tell us that the old guys at the Anderson County Sportsman's Club were honestly puzzled at the idea of eliminating the CCDW permit, of which, I explained to them was NOT the initiative.    i don't remember the particulars now, but my point is, I don't think the "resistance" in the state comes so much from the anti-gunners as much as simply resisting change due to change or suspicion of any change.    Laws are terrible things and we shouldn't rush their creation.   We need not look far to find casualties of "unintended consequences" from laws which had the best of intentions.

I know I know... .we want to basically eliminate all gun laws -- how much easier could we want it?   But those guys have been around a long time, they are slowly dying off, they are NOT being replaced ... and they are happy with the training requirements and the 'right' to carry concealed in public.    i didn't live here then and I wasn't much of a 'gun activist' in 1996, but apparently, it was a big deal back then, getting the CCDW law.    "change the laws now???   What ... why .... ?    the hell for?

My feel is that what people are calling "Constitutional carry" is just not going to grow legs with those guys.   Such a thing is an affront to the big "pro-gun" victories of the past, and, the idea that just anyone can carry a gun anywhere, just doesn't set well with them.    MOST people are not politically savvy... most are practical-minded.   To them, carrying concealed is fair, practical and smart.   A "pure" interpretation of a statement in history doesn't enter into the thought process.   To them, making people get some practical and legal training makes good sense.   The idea that "carrying a gun is a right which can't be infringed" is not part of the thought process.   To them, the gun is a tool and no one puts a tool in untrained hands, especially a deadly tool.

What do I think they will be comfortable with?    These guys will probably be more open to a decrease in CCDW fees and an expansion of where all we can carry concealed ....... long before they are 'for' scrapping the whole thing, or even simply "undermining" it all with a law that says "no license necessary" anymore.    In fact, I think we'll have a home-run with eliminating the deadly "gun free zones".... I mean, how fooky crazy is a 'gun free zone'?   How well has that been working out?   And it's terribly illogical:    so here we are, entrusted by the mighty and good govt to carry a deadly weapon in public in a secret, hidden manner -- I am no menace to society -- but somehow, magically, when i cross into a public school ... TO GET MY OWN CHILD (!!!!!) or to attend a school function WITH MY OWN CHILD... I am somehow, suddenly an untrustworthy menace to society.

Sorry for yelling but I have a little boy whom I love and cherish.

So how many more kids and teachers have to die.... ?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:45:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh, so you want to play the "Constitutional" card?   Okay.   How about this:   our right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness (which often involves acquiring some sort of property)  isn't really  *there*  if I have no defensability against  _attacks_  against my natural right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness... yo??

In other words, self-defense (a concept supported almost universally by law enforcement) is an inherent, natural extension of our natural right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.   No 2nd Amendment needed there at all.

If you have been 'created' into a living being (whether by God, a god, a bunch of gods or a random explosion .... is no matter to the Declaration or the Constitution)... you are a living human being, created into a life and with that life comes life, liberty and pursuit of happiness -- you 'get to' have life, you can do as you wish with it as long as you don't harm the natural rights of another, and you can pursue whatever makes you happy ... just cuz you exist ... AND.... you can defend all of that against criminal attacks (molestation, theft, malicious destruction...) ALL BY YOURSELF ... ie... no govt needed, but any help is appreciated and in the event you 'fail' to defend those, the govt is there to investigate, pursue, prosecute and adjudicate 'justice' upon you, the victim and the other, the offender.   (remember that whole "govt of the people, by the people and for the people" ... ?)

So if you are still reading, we need the League of KY Sportsman on our side.   We need the gun club / sportsman's clubs on our side (and those guys are MUCH more concerned about risk, liability, being shut down... than a pet political statement (which is almost always quoted in a complete historical and political vacuum...), we need Game Wardens... State Police... Sheriffs... on our side.   We need an initiative which MAKES SENSE.    I don't think #1 is gonna make much sense to them.

I guess i'm saying that we should maybe focus our energy (and limited committee time) to number 2 ... and maybe some others if can do without cramming or 'forcing' people   (cuz no one likes to be bullied....)
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I also think we should distinguish between a privately-owned, but public-facing business vs. just plain ol private property (such as the land and house I just purchased).

We generally WANT the general public to frequent our place of business, but if I catch you on my property armed and you are there without my permission, you will be held at gunpoint until the sheriff arrives.

Trespassing .... while armed.... geee what to do with that...
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 1:48:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Once again, Softpoint is doing all the heavy-lifting for us.   I'd hate it if he got tired of it and quit, but I wouldn't hate him for it.   We lean on him way too much.

I can tell us that the old guys at the Anderson County Sportsman's Club were honestly puzzled at the idea of eliminating the CCDW permit, of which, I explained to them was NOT the initiative.    i don't remember the particulars now, but my point is, I don't think the "resistance" in the state comes so much from the anti-gunners as much as simply resisting change due to change or suspicion of any change.    Laws are terrible things and we shouldn't rush their creation.   We need not look far to find casualties of "unintended consequences" from laws which had the best of intentions.

I know I know... .we want to basically eliminate all gun laws -- how much easier could we want it?   But those guys have been around a long time, they are slowly dying off, they are NOT being replaced ... and they are happy with the training requirements and the 'right' to carry concealed in public.    i didn't live here then and I wasn't much of a 'gun activist' in 1996, but apparently, it was a big deal back then, getting the CCDW law.    "change the laws now???   What ... why .... ?    the hell for?

My feel is that what people are calling "Constitutional carry" is just not going to grow legs with those guys.   Such a thing is an affront to the big "pro-gun" victories of the past, and, the idea that just anyone can carry a gun anywhere, just doesn't set well with them.    MOST people are not politically savvy... most are practical-minded.   To them, carrying concealed is fair, practical and smart.   A "pure" interpretation of a statement in history doesn't enter into the thought process.   To them, making people get some practical and legal training makes good sense.   The idea that "carrying a gun is a right which can't be infringed" is not part of the thought process.   To them, the gun is a tool and no one puts a tool in untrained hands, especially a deadly tool.

What do I think they will be comfortable with?    These guys will probably be more open to a decrease in CCDW fees and an expansion of where all we can carry concealed ....... long before they are 'for' scrapping the whole thing, or even simply "undermining" it all with a law that says "no license necessary" anymore.    In fact, I think we'll have a home-run with eliminating the deadly "gun free zones".... I mean, how fooky crazy is a 'gun free zone'?   How well has that been working out?   And it's terribly illogical:    so here we are, entrusted by the mighty and good govt to carry a deadly weapon in public in a secret, hidden manner -- I am no menace to society -- but somehow, magically, when i cross into a public school ... TO GET MY OWN CHILD (!!!!!) or to attend a school function WITH MY OWN CHILD... I am somehow, suddenly an untrustworthy menace to society.

Sorry for yelling but I have a little boy whom I love and cherish.

So how many more kids and teachers have to die.... ?
View Quote
The number of kids and teachers is not the problem. The problem is who will get the blame if anything ever happens, and it will someday, no matter what is or is not done. If the General Assembly takes no action, they think that they can't be blamed, no matter what happens. They wouldn't object if the local school boards allowed guns in schools. The present law allows for that. Then the legislators could wash their hands of the whole affair. That is not a very good example of leadership or statesmanship. Their answer is to elect new school board members, if you want guns in schools. IOW, pass the buck.

Those guys over at the Anderson Co. Sportsmen's Club must be ancient. I am 72 and don't suffer from any of the apprehensions that you mention.  I was on the forefront of the push to get concealed carry and I don't remember any of them being around to help. Just because concealed carry was a great thing 22 years ago doesn't make it permanent. My 1996 Ford was a great car, but I traded it in for a newer, better one years ago, then traded that one, too. I wanted to improve my transportation. Now I want to improve my gun rights. "No concealed weapons" was normal for over 100 years before 1996, but we wanted something different. Something with more freedom. Now, we want even more freedom. I guess I could still be driving that old Ford, but I gave it up. Concealed carry was a big step forward and there were thousands of people that predicted it would lead to nothing but tragedy. Instead, it has been a tremendous success, by any standard of measurement. We heard the same tired, old scare tactics then, that we hear now about constitutional carry. Constitutional carry will do nothing for me. I will never give up my CCDW license, but I'd like to see it voluntary, not a requirement. The NRA is the largest gun training organization in the world. Why would they be in favor of a plan that would destroy the training system? They have figures from all the other states that have passed constitutional showing that the number of applicants for concealed carry licenses increases faster, after constitutional carry is passed than it was before. None of the other states have seen any increases in crime, accidents or misuse of guns or reduction in the number of people getting licenses or the need for instructors. Why would we in Ky. be any different? The people that want to carry guns can, and do open carry now without any paperwork or training. That has been the case for over 200 years in Ky. and it hasn't resulted in a complete breakdown of society. Why would constitutional carry be any different? Will these same people act differently, just because they cover their gun with a piece of cloth? Why is it Ok for them to carry a gun in an ankle holster while wearing shorts, but crazy for them to do the same thing with long pants on? It makes no sense. None of the things people are predicting have happened in Kansas, none in Mississippi, not in West Virginia, not Montana nor Alaska, no problems in Arizona or Arkansas. In Vermont, it has never been illegal to carry a concealed weapon. They don't even have a license, for anybody to get. They don't need them. Have you ever heard about a lot of crime in Vermont? Why is it so unthinkable for Ky.?

The "No Gun Free Zones" bill has been around for the last two years and has not faired any better than constitutional carry. I'd like to see it gain some traction this year. I hope that you are right, but I have always said that guns in K-12 schools will be our last victory. All of the rest of the gun fee zones will fall first. I would not be surprised to see that bill passed this year, but only after the K-12 schools are stripped out of it. Victories, when they happen, are usually incremental. To get it all, will take several years with several smaller victories along the way, not all of it at once. The plans are not short term, but for the lang haul. It's taken 21 years to get here. The rest won't happen overnight, either. Just like playing baseball, if you expect to hit a homerun everytime you are at bat, you will be very, very disappointed most of the time, but we will keep swinging for the fence anyway.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a good thread with some healthy discussion.

First, I am one those old guys anti-tyrant discribed.   My opinion won't matter but another 20-30 years at best.

I only support "constitutional carry" because it comes down to a basic right.    However, I also have exactly the same feelings and thoughts as the old timers anti-tyrant mentioned.

Right now, gun and drug charges are the number one tools of dealing with hoodlums.   I don't want either gone without a sound replacement.    For example, make theft or possession of stolen privately owned firearms a capital offense.

I still own a 1994 Ford F150 and a 2000 Mustang GT.    I love them both dearly.   I don't expect to get rid of either one.   My 2001 and 2005 Toyotas will have to be replaced soon.  

I KNOW many here share my feelings, only stronger.    Currently, many here won't cross west of 9th street.   What will it be like if "constitutional carry" passes?             Imagine the cops not being able to bust hoodlums on concealed deadly weapons charges.   LOL!   Actions speak louder than words.   I own a house in west Louisville.   I am prepared to fight... always.

Like I said, philosophically, I support "constitutional carry" as long as other tools/laws, preferably harsher, are given to law enforcement.

I have beaten violent gun felony charges twice.   I have room to talk.
(That is to say, no one hates guns law more than I do.    I still hate hoodlums more.)

Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep in mind that when generalizing, it's very easy to be shown wrong, but that was the impression I got when the club discussed it one night.

When I got into guns in 2012, it totally freaked me out that I could buy a gun from a person without going through a Federal background check.    I'm still not offended with some sort of check -- we want only Citizens buying them, not druggies or terrorists or whatever criteria we agree on.... but nowadays, I've been through so many background checks for jobs, security clearances, carry permits... just GTFO with your dang background check.   It means nothing and I prefer to not be bothered with it and it's frankly none of anyone's business if I purchase a gun.

People change ....    Initial reactions are usually the loudest .... and the most ignorant.

...I wish... haha ... I wish our schools spent time educating us on how to properly participate in our republic.    Taught us what a Citizen is.   Taught us the Constitution...and politics/law/govt/civics in general.
In the absence of real education, ppl just go with whatever makes sense to them.   My gawd is that a mess all over the map!    Opinions and buttholes....
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]
It would not surprise me at all if some of the people that favor the continuation of the present concealed carry law and oppose constitutional carry now, also opposed concealed carry in 1996. They may not admit it and may not remember exactly what they said or did 21 years ago, but some people will just automatically oppose anything new. Change is hard for some people to accept. Status quo is a very comfortable place to be. Changes can be scary, but that doesn't mean it is wrong or not worthwhile. Changes should be scrutinized carefully, it is a wonderful defense mechanism. The new changes will soon become the new status quo and the same people will fear the next change while embracing the old change that they originally feared. All of this is just human nature and none of it is unreasonable, but it is often shortsighted.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What will it be like if "constitutional carry" passes?             Imagine the cops not being able to bust hoodlums on concealed deadly weapons charges.   LOL!   Actions speak louder than words.   I own a house in west Louisville.   I am prepared to fight... always.
View Quote
I'm confused, are you saying that a "hoodlum" with a gun is the bad guy and that without a concealed weapons charge the police would never get them? Never mind the felon with a gun, minor with a gun, drugs with a gun, stolen gun, or any other enhancement with a gun charge that real "hoodlum" would be inevitably be guilty of, not the make believe "hoodlum" that's guilty of just carrying a gun while black/young adult. If all they can get on them is a misdemeanor CCDW violation that's a pretty fucking sad excuse for a "hoodlum".
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm confused, are you saying that a "hoodlum" with a gun is the bad guy and that without a concealed weapons charge the police would never get them? Never mind the felon with a gun, minor with a gun, drugs with a gun, stolen gun, or any other enhancement with a gun charge that real "hoodlum" would be inevitably be guilty of, not the make believe "hoodlum" that's guilty of just carrying a gun while black/young adult. If all they can get on them is a misdemeanor CCDW violation that's a pretty fucking sad excuse for a "hoodlum".
View Quote

And even if he is caught and charged with nothing but CCDW, what kind of sentence will be coming on that misdemeanor? Surely, if he is such a dangerous person there would be other charges. In order to get that 10 day jail sentence, all of the rest of the state is required to get a license pay fees and get training and support a statewide training cottage industry?! Rediculous!! Is it really worth it? Sometimes I think that some people with CC licenses feel superior to everybody else and have a "them vs. us" mentality or that their CCDW license is their membership card to some special club. There are plenty of decent, honest, trustworthy, responsible, principled gun owners that don't have a license and will never get one. Lots of reasons for this, but one is that they don't think they should have to get one, so they don't and won't. The irresponsible, lawless among us should not be the determining factor for the freedoms allowed to the whole population. If it makes a cops job a little harder, too bad.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

t
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Duotwk, I am glad you feel that way.    I trust you will attend my gathering this summer/fall.    It may be at Russell Lee Park, but if not, certainly another West End park.    I would suppose you have no hang ups about Louisville, and specifically not the West End.   At least I can count you in, right?

Quoted:
I'm confused
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm confused
You don't seem confused.

Quoted:
are you saying that a "hoodlum" with a gun is the bad guy
Yes.

Quoted:
and that without a concealed weapons charge the police would never get them?
 Yes, so to speak.   The fraternal order of police would say that without that tool, their effectiveness in getting criminals off the streets would be greatly reduced.  

Quoted:
Never mind the felon with a gun
  Not all hoodlums are convicted felons, yet.

Quoted:
Never mind the... drugs with a gun
Not everyone in a gang will be carrying drugs, or guns for that matter.  But, they will often have one or other.   Busting them for both is great; for one of the two is good.

Quoted:
Never mind the..  stolen gun
The guns on the streets among hoodlums have not always been stolen.   Sometimes they are purchased legally, but carried illegally.  Sometimes, "straw" purchases come into play.  

In the referenced story of the OP, many of those guns were not found to have been reported stolen.

Quoted:
Never mind the...  any other enhancement with a gun charge
Many times, it starts with a simple charge of carrying a concealed deadly weapon.    Any decent person can get a KY CDWL quite easily.  There are members here with 70 year old and up frail mothers who have them.   There are some here with blind people in their family who have them.   There is no reason to not have a KY CDWL if you are a KY resident, unless one is intentionally trying to live outside of the law.

Quoted:
that real "hoodlum" would be inevitably be guilty of, not the make believe "hoodlum" that's guilty of just carrying a gun
You call them as you see them.   I will call them as I see them.    I look around the area and see lots of hoodlums who have not yet made the big time, (time in the big house).  Many have been in and out of juvy or county lock up throughout their young lives.   Others have moved all over the country and skated, thus far.   Once shit happens to you, your family, or your property destroyed, you likely won't give a shit what their status WAS.   But, you'll know they are a hoodlum, without anyone else having to tell you.

Quoted:
while black
I had not mentioned race.    Nevertheless, statistically, you are probably going to be right.   But, please, allow me to be clear.   I hate hoodlums.   I do not discriminate when it comes to despising anyone.   White, yellow, black, speckled, or striped, I could not possibly care any less about the origin or background of any hoodlum.  

Quoted:
young adult.
Most are adults, in my book.   I enlisted at 17.   I don't have a problem with alcohol, tobacco, and gun laws, including handguns applying at 18, instead of 21.    (As a side note, I don't drink, nor do I smoke.)  Minor hoodlums who are younger and commit premeditated adult crimes should do adult time, including life and/or death.  

Quoted:
If all they can get on them is a misdemeanor CCDW violation that's a pretty fucking sad excuse for a "hoodlum".
As I stated above, everyone's definition of a hoodlum depends on their exposure and interaction with said hoodlum(s).  Personal experience can impact one's perspective.   By federal law, certain misdemeanors can result in a person being a prohibited person.    By federal law,  one does not have to be convicted of a crime to be prohibited person.     KY State law has similar "minor" infractions and resultant implications that prohibit a person from becoming a KY CDWL holder.   Likewise, I am absolutely confident and comfortable in my judgement and use of the term hoodlum, such as it may be.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And even if he is caught and charged with nothing but CCDW, what kind of sentence will be coming on that misdemeanor? Surely, if he is such a dangerous person there would be other charges. In order to get that 10 day jail sentence, all of the rest of the state is required to get a license pay fees and get training and support a statewide training cottage industry?! Rediculous!! Is it really worth it? Sometimes I think that some people with CC licenses feel superior to everybody else and have a "them vs. us" mentality or that their CCDW license is their membership card to some special club. There are plenty of decent, honest, trustworthy, responsible, principled gun owners that don't have a license and will never get one. Lots of reasons for this, but one is that they don't think they should have to get one, so they don't and won't. The irresponsible, lawless among us should not be the determining factor for the freedoms allowed to the whole population. If it makes a cops job a little harder, too bad.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

View Quote
Softpoint,

I think the penalties are disgusting.   Just on that principle, I say toughen the penalties or drop the law.  (That is not just gun laws.   It goes for unenforced bike laws on up the chain.)   That is especially true of how justice is handled in Jefferson county.   Bail/bound is generally ridiculously low.   Punishment is light.

I am probably one of those "Us versus them" arrogant people, when comes to the KY CDWL.   I don't see any reason for a person to not do it.  I know people who don't have one.    It isn't that important to them.   Fine.   It is their free choice.   I see it like knowing how to do many other important things.   I won't be sorry for them if something happens to them.   I will feel sorry for those CDWL holders who's family failed to support them by not fighting in a deadly encounter and not deploying a gun.    Most people live in "teams".   Team members have a responsibility to support and protect one another.    

For me, I support "constitutional carry" solely on the philosophical principle of a right not being something for which we pay.   Then again, we pay marriage license fees.  Beyond that, I am very guilty of  being one of those CDWL holders you describe.  

Without regard to your opinions or mine, I think it will be hard to get "buy in" from many, such as the police, to pass "constitutional carry" without also offering up some "tool" for law enforcement.

Either way,  I won't complain.     I live like a firefight is going to break out any second.   I can handle it passing.   I don't feel anything for those who refuse to go get a CDWL.   I can handle it not passing.

Like you, it won't change anything for me, directly, as everyone closest to me will maintain their KY CDWL.   You and I will both maintain our KY CDWL.  (I recall a statement in which you said you would.)

Probably the biggest reason of all to pass it is EXACTLY as your original post describes.   It should pass as a matter of state pride and not seeing the state left in the dust.    To me, THAT gets me more fired up than anything else.

HEY!   By the way, YOU will be at my West End cook out, right?   It may be at Russell Lee Park, but if not, certainly another West End park.    It will PROBABLY be at the park across from were you came to my 2017 Inauguration celebration.    That is Westonia Park.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll be at the cookout.

I've also been trying to get a meeting with my state rep for a month now to talk about these exact issues and have her sponsor some bills. I'm also working with local ranges to get more college aged folks to go shooting. And yes, I still wear an empty holster at UofL to get folks talking. Might do another open carry walk in the Fall.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Duotwk, I am glad you feel that way.    I trust you will attend my gathering this summer/fall.    It may be at Russell Lee Park, but if not, certainly another West End park.    I would suppose you have no hang ups about Louisville, and specifically not the West End.   At least I can count you in, right?

You don't seem confused.

Yes.

Yes, so to speak.   The fraternal order of police would say that without that tool, their effectiveness in getting criminals off the streets would be greatly reduced.  

Not all hoodlums are convicted felons, yet.

Not everyone in a gang will be carrying drugs, or guns for that matter.  But, they will often have one or other.   Busting them for both is great; for one of the two is good.

The guns on the streets among hoodlums have not always been stolen.   Sometimes they are purchased legally, but carried illegally.  Sometimes, "straw" purchases come into play.  

In the referenced story of the OP, many of those guns were not found to have been reported stolen.

Many times, it starts with a simple charge of carrying a concealed deadly weapon.    Any decent person can get a KY CDWL quite easily.  There are members here with 70 year old and up frail mothers who have them.   There are some here with blind people in their family who have them.   There is no reason to not have a KY CDWL if you are a KY resident, unless one is intentionally trying to live outside of the law.

You call them as you see them.   I will call them as I see them.    I look around the area and see lots of hoodlums who have not yet made the big time, (time in the big house).  Many have been in and out of juvy or county lock up throughout their young lives.   Others have moved all over the country and skated, thus far.   Once shit happens to you, your family, or your property destroyed, you likely won't give a shit what their status WAS.   But, you'll know they are a hoodlum, without anyone else having to tell you.

I had not mentioned race.    Nevertheless, statistically, you are probably going to be right.   But, please, allow me to be clear.   I hate hoodlums.   I do not discriminate when it comes to despising anyone.   White, yellow, black, speckled, or striped, I could not possibly care any less about the origin or background of any hoodlum.  

Most are adults, in my book.   I enlisted at 17.   I don't have a problem with alcohol, tobacco, and gun laws, including handguns applying at 18, instead of 21.    (As a side note, I don't drink, nor do I smoke.)  Minor hoodlums who are younger and commit premeditated adult crimes should do adult time, including life and/or death.  

As I stated above, everyone's definition of a hoodlum depends on their exposure and interaction with said hoodlum(s).  Personal experience can impact one's perspective.   By federal law, certain misdemeanors can result in a person being a prohibited person.    By federal law,  one does not have to be convicted of a crime to be prohibited person.     KY State law has similar "minor" infractions and resultant implications that prohibit a person from becoming a KY CDWL holder.   Likewise, I am absolutely confident and comfortable in my judgement and use of the term hoodlum, such as it may be.  
View Quote
I'd like to hear more about these '"minor" infractions that will keep a person from getting a CCDWL.

On t, e one hand, you say that police can not find a crime to charge them with, but they are "hoodlums" and should be arrested. It sounds to me like the people you are describing could get a Ky. CCDWL. It also suggests to me that you believe the police should "invent" crimes to charge these people with. Considering that you claim you were charged with a felony that you were not guilty of, I would have thought that you would see the injustice of that practice. It is no surprise to me that you might oppose constitutional carry. It sounds like you oppose our entire justice system and legal system.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:36:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd like to hear more about these '"minor" infractions that will keep a person from getting a CCDWL.
View Quote
Here is to what I was referring.   Many if not all of these are temporary restrictions, with 2-3 year time frames, can be waived, or include the expiration of civil orders.

KRS 237.110

The following is not a criminal conviction nor indictment for that matter.  These two are civil actions.    These are seen frequently in divorces.

When a domestic violence order or emergency protective order is issued
pursuant to the provisions of KRS Chapter 403 against a person holding a
license issued under this section, the holder of the permit shall surrender
the license to the court or to the officer serving the order. The officer to
whom the license is surrendered shall forthwith transmit the license to the
court issuing the order. The license shall be suspended until the order is
terminated, or until the judge who issued the order terminates the
suspension prior to the termination of the underlying domestic violence
order or emergency protective order, in writing and by return of the
license, upon proper motion by the license holder. Subject to the same
conditions as above, a peace officer against whom an emergency
protective order or domestic violence order has been issued shall not be
permitted to carry a concealed deadly weapon when not on duty, the
provisions of KRS 527.020 to the contrary notwithstanding.

The following are misdemeanors

Controlled Substances
Has not been committed to a state or federal facility for the abuse of a
controlled substance or been convicted of a misdemeanor violation of
KRS Chapter 218A or similar laws of any other state relating to controlled
substances, within a three (3) year period immediately preceding the date
on which the application is submitted;

DUI
Does not chronically and habitually use alcoholic beverages as evidenced
by the applicant having two (2) or more convictions for violating KRS
189A.010 within the three (3) years immediately preceding the date on
which the application is submitted, or having been committed as an
alcoholic pursuant to KRS Chapter 222 or similar laws of another state
within the three (3) year period immediately preceding the date on which
the application is submitted;

Child Support
Does not owe a child support arrearage which equals or exceeds the
cumulative amount which would be owed after one (1) year of
nonpayment, if the Department of Kentucky State Police has been notified
of the arrearage by the Cabinet for Health and Family Services;

Assault & Terroristic threatening
(h) Has not been convicted of a violation of KRS 508.030 or 508.080 within
the three (3) years immediately preceding the date on which the
application is submitted. The commissioner of the Department of
Kentucky State Police may waive this requirement upon good cause
shown and a determination that the applicant is not a danger and that a
waiver would not violate federal law;
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:40:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

On the one hand, you say that police can not find a crime to charge them with, but they are "hoodlums" and should be arrested. It sounds to me like the people you are describing could get a Ky. CCDWL.
View Quote
That may be the case.   But, I am specifically referring to those who trying to live under the radar.   These are people involved in crimes but the police do not have their formal names.   Such would include gang members, dopers, and B&E types.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:53:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It also suggests to me that you believe the police should "invent" crimes to charge these people with. Considering that you claim you were charged with a felony that you were not guilty of, I would have thought that you would see the injustice of that practice.
View Quote
I do not support the notion police should "invent" crimes, at least no more than you feel they should turn a blind eye to crime.   Nowhere have I stated such, that I can recall.   But, I am open to have the same quoted for review.

I am no one special.    Many people have been wrongly charged with felonies.   Locally, the older gentleman who is a hot dog vendor in downtown Louisville was charged when shooting the scum bag.   Moreover, it happens to cops.  Remember the made up stories of the Ferguson cop, Darren Wilson,  who shot Michael Brown ?   Also, remember the LMPD cop who shot the bum who attacked him with a flag pole?   Again, people who were not there at the time and saw nothing suddenly show up and present fabricated stories.   All of these involved craptastic people making up crazy stories to defame decent people.   My situations were similar.     It happens.

Right now, the biggest issue and threat to public safety is mayor fishy wanting shitcago style gun laws.   Look it up in the CJ.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:56:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It is no surprise to me that you might oppose constitutional carry. It sounds like you oppose our entire justice system and legal system.
View Quote
Well, maybe that is true.   It certainly seems "you oppose our entire justice system and legal system".   After all, you want to change it.    We have that in common.   We are more alike than different.

In all fairness, most people oppose our justice system and legal system, in one direction or another.   Few thing it is perfect.

Then again, there is a clear mistake in that sense I said I do support "constitutional carry".   As a matter of fact, contacted KY congressmen on the matter in support last time.   I reached out to many people through email and text in support of "constitutional carry" last.   But, last time, it was a failure in that it did not even get a vote.

I do not see why we cannot also toughen other laws, such as making theft of privately owned firearm and/or possession of a stolen privately owned firearm a capital offense.  Maybe that would help get "constitutional carry" passed.    That only "invents" law the way "constitutional carry" turns a blind eye to crime.     I suppose "change" in any direction is evil.    Or, maybe it works both ways.  

In any case, "constitutional carry" is not going to change much for most of those on the KY HTF.   Now, mayor fishy, he might end up changing our lives a lot.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Candidate qualifications and filing fees (PDF)

If we're not happy with the current representation then its time to consider a run for office. There is a ludicrous number of offices up for election in 2018, many state offices and many local offices.

Some places where someone needs to absolutely run, even a paper campaign, are uncontested elections. An uncontested incumbent that you're unhappy with is is a guaranteed loss. Good examples are John Yarmuth and Daryl Owens, the GOP or the LP needs to run a candidate against them every election even if they're locked in. Don't let 'em get complacent. Even a low key "paper campaign" gives the voters a choice on the ballot.

If you're really unhappy with the GOP or Dem parties for some reason, remember that the LP has ballot access now. I'm not going to sit here and promise that the LP ticks all your boxes, but if you're not happy with your current party at least take a fresh look at a different one. Especially since the LP guarantees you easy ballot access. If you're genuinely curious, send me a message and I can introduce you around to the LP KY crew.

Getting in with a smaller party, like county level, keeps you out of the muck of national politics and gives you influence. Theres a thread around here where ARFCOMers are getting involved in the Scott County GOP. At that level, even a few people showing up can make all the difference in policy that really effects you where you live.

Most of the influence we need for RKBA issues is at the state level. Gotta run KY House and KY Senate candidates.

Finally, theres a lot going on in the Commonwealth. Make your preferences _and priorities_ known to your reps. I suspect that RKBA legislation didn't pass because the GOP majority felt that other things were more important than RKBA.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
.......snip ...I suspect that RKBA legislation didn't pass because the GOP majority felt that other things were more important than RKBA.
View Quote
I agree with everything from your post except the last sentence. I think it was something much deeper than that. If you had seen and heard how that bill was received just prior to the beginning of the 2017 session, you would not think that. On the Thursday before Christmas of last year, two men from the NRA and I were invited to a meeting of all the Republican leaders of the Senate. This meeting was in Senator Stivers office. Stivers is the President of the Senate. In that meeting, they couldn't say enough good things about the bill. They discussed passing it in the first week of the session. The said it was going to be one of their "priority bills" of the session and gave it a low bill number to indicate its rank in their priorities, Senate Bill 7. At one point, they asked if we wanted to make it an "emergency bill" that would allow it to become law immediately upon being signed by the Governor and not having to wait 90 days as is customary. We said that we didn't see the need for that. It was a done deal. They only unknown was the House. We didn't have a House sponsor but didn't think that the newly elected Republican majority would reject a gun bill that had just passed the Senate. It turned out that it didn't matter. It never got that far.

The 2017 session started a week later and they met for 4 days, passed SB 1,2,3,4,and 5, then went home for a month. When they came back from that break, they didn't want to even talk about constitutional carry, it was a poisoned topic. They wouldn't ever look us in the eye, our conversations consisted of them staring at the table. The bill was poison to them. Somebody or some groups of people got to them during that break. I don't know who, but I can guess at a few possibilities. Whoever it was, had enough clout to make them ignore the NRA. There were more voices and louder voices against the bill than they heard in favor of the bill. That is the bottom line.

Unless the gun owners of Ky. get firmly behind this bill and let the General Assembly know about that support, the same thing will happen this year, and the foreseeable future. The things that can get a bill passed are letters, phone calls, email and face to face conversations. Ky. gun owners can have anything we want, but they have to get in the game and let it be known that they want it. The opposition is drowning us out. I remember when CC was passed in 1996. We had members of the General Assembly complaining that they couldn't sleep at night because their home phones were ringing about CC, all day and all night. They had stacks of "green slips" that are written when they get a office phone call about a bill. They couldn't ignore it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I can't help but notice that of the six people arrested and mentioned in this post, not one of them was charged with CCW. Several people claim that without that charge being available to the police, arrests will be more difficult and anarchy will ensue. In this case, that irreplaceable resource was not utilized for any of the six, but yet some insist that all of the rest of the millions of people in the state should spend hundreds of dollars and undergo government scrutiny by getting a license to do what should be a constitutional right, just to keep that misdemeanor charge available to the police. It doesn't seem to be so valuable after all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top