Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 7:40:31 PM EDT
I have been thinking about buying a Ruger 1022 and giving it to my grandson in the near future. I saw a Rural King ad that had several different Ruger models on sale and the 1022 was priced at $189. That seemed like a good price so I decided to buy one. My local Rural King had one in stock and I started the paperwork and the clerk asked for my driver's license.  I gave him both my license and my CCDW. As we went through the process I could see that he didn't even look at my CCDW. After a long time, I asked how we were doing and he said that he was just waiting on the FBI. I asked why we were doing that and he said it was company policy. I have bought several guns at Rural King and never went through a background check. He said that the policy had recently changed and I told him that my "policy" was to not buy things from stores that run background checks on licensed people.

I don't do it because I always get a three day delay and there is never a call back to allow the dealer to "proceed", it just expires after three days. Well, Rural Kings new policy is to not complete a sale unless there is a completed background check and instructions to "proceed", so , for me, a delay is the same as "denied" in Rural King. I walked out without waiting any longer for the answer that I know was coming and told them that I would not be back. I went through this same issue with the gun store that is located closest to my house, several years ago. I used to have them do all of my transfers and have bought several guns out of stock. I haven't been back there since they wanted to run background checks on licensed people.

Background checks can be delayed for any one of several reasons. Mine are always delayed, every time. I have a Ky. CCDW, I am a Ky. CC Instructor, I have bought over 100 guns in the last 20 years, I have a federal C&R collectors license, I own three properly registered machineguns and I can't pass a background check.?! I really hate this. I have bought a lot of stuff from Rural King, guns as well as other things. I will miss doing business with them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Cabela's and Academy Sports are the same way. Still won't accept your CC permit in lieu of a background check
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
My last 2 transfers went through Cabela's and they accepted my CCW license.  Last one was in March iirc.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
According to the Rural King staff that is because recently someone used their CCDW permit to buy a gun from Rural King; however, they had committed a crime and their CCDW permit was revoked but not confiscated.  The ATF didn't care and went after Rural King for selling a firearm to a prohibited person.

Instead of complaining about a business taking a measure to ensure they stay in business, how about you work with the legislators to get some type of protection to put in place for businesses that follow Kentucky's laws?  That is what it comes down to.  Rural King followed what Kentucky allows and got smacked down hard for it.  The loss of your $40 in profit pales in comparison to defending your business in court against the ATF.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW...

Here's some FYI.

I have been charged with violent felonies  a few times.  (Hey, so have a few cops.)   My KY CDWL was only pulled upon indictment.   I've only been indicted once.   I was ordered to surrender it.   The lost time was added back to the license once the charges were dropped.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
According to the Rural King staff that is because recently someone used their CCDW permit to buy a gun from Rural King; however, they had committed a crime and their CCDW permit was revoked but not confiscated.  The ATF didn't care and went after Rural King for selling a firearm to a prohibited person.

Instead of complaining about a business taking a measure to ensure they stay in business, how about you work with the legislators to get some type of protection to put in place for businesses that follow Kentucky's laws?  That is what it comes down to.  Rural King followed what Kentucky allows and got smacked down hard for it.  The loss of your $40 in profit pales in comparison to defending your business in court against the ATF.  
View Quote
Lots of things wrong here. First of all, the incident you referenced happened in the Rural King in Jasper, Ind. and I don't have much influence with the Indiana legislature and it didn't have anything to do with Ky. law. If that store had compared their customer's personal ID to the Ind. LTCF of the customer's brother that was falsely produced, they would have been able to avoid their mistake. Second, I doubt that any "protection" for a business that might be passed by either the Ky. or Indiana legislature would have much effect on the actions of the federal ATF and third, I have no interest in inserting myself into this mess, if you think a new law needs to be passed, I suggest that you work on passing it. I don't need anybody to volunteer me to do anything. Finally, if Rural King manages to make all of its customers mad, as they did with me today, it doesn't matter what they do in court, because there will no one to sell to and their stores will be empty.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:42:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cabela's and Academy Sports are the same way. Still won't accept your CC permit in lieu of a background check
View Quote
I have bought several guns in the last six months from both Cabela's and Academy. The last one was just last week at Cabela's. All of those sales were done using my CCDW as a substitute for the NICS. There was never any suggestion that they wanted to do anything a different way.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:09:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

it doesn't matter what they do in court, because there will no one to sell to and their stores will be empty.
View Quote
Their store will never be empty.  They sell black rifles, lowers, black handguns, and do so cheaper than most places.  I was inconvenienced last Black Friday for the same reason you were.  Back then they had multiple signs up informing people with a CCDW that they would still run background checks.  The whole process added about 15 minutes to my shopping experience.  The extra 10% off all firearms that day made it worth it to me.

The store is taking precautions to make sure they can stay in the business of selling evil black rifles at low costs.  I am upset that the federal government is that hostile towards them that they feel they need to do that and not at them for protecting themselves.  You can call them the enemy if you want but that is how gun owners alienate a 99% great pro-gun business.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Their store will never be empty.  They sell black rifles, lowers, black handguns, and do so cheaper than most places.  I was inconvenienced last Black Friday for the same reason you were.  Back then they had multiple signs up informing people with a CCDW that they would still run background checks.  The whole process added about 15 minutes to my shopping experience.  The extra 10% off all firearms that day made it worth it to me.

The store is taking precautions to make sure they can stay in the business of selling evil black rifles at low costs.  I am upset that the federal government is that hostile towards them that they feel they need to do that and not at them for protecting themselves.  You can call them the enemy if you want but that is how gun owners alienate a 99% great pro-gun business.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it doesn't matter what they do in court, because there will no one to sell to and their stores will be empty.

You misquoted me by leaving out the "if" part. I never called them, or anybody, "the enemy". Please read, and quote, my words as I wrote them, not in some imaginary or deceptive fashion. It is not my purpose in life to keep Rural King, or anybody else, in business. If they don't serve my needs and service my interests, they will lose my business. There are plenty of other businesses that sell all types of firearms at good prices and do it in a manner that does not exclude me from the process. I don't know how you expect me to support Rural King, when their busness practises do not allow me to buy from them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
corporate policies. Do you blame them or the multitude of lawsuits? I stopped at a rural king in Winchester but seems their prices didn't represent the current market. A lot better deals online even with the 25$ transfer fee to my local ffl.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I am now the happy owner of a Ruger 1022 rifle. I stopped by the Academy Sports store on the Outer Loop in Okalona, today. I showed them the Rural King ad, they agreed to match it and add on another discount of 5%. They didn't give me any grief or whine about it. They took my CCDW and rang up the sale. $9 cheaper than Rural King's ad. The whole process took about 20 minutes and there was no background check. It couldn't have been any easier. Rural King is much closer to my home, but I won't be buying anything there again.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FWIW...

Here's some FYI.

I have been charged with violent felonies  a few times.  (Hey, so have a few cops.)   My KY CDWL was only pulled upon indictment.   I've only been indicted once.   I was ordered to surrender it.   The lost time was added back to the license once the charges were dropped.    
View Quote
A few times?! Why does this not surprise me? Only once, huh?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I won't buy guns at rural king. The store in Winchester put in one of those computers like Cabelas. Not only do they no longer accept a ccw, they now require you to waste 30 minutes clicking a greasy mouse button.

That was the final push to make me start buying 80% lowers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I won't buy guns at rural king. The store in Winchester put in one of those computers like Cabelas. Not only do they no longer accept a ccw, they now require you to waste 30 minutes clicking a greasy mouse button.

View Quote
Hey, hey, hey, watch out! One of our posters thinks we are required to help them stay in business, because they are so gun friendly.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FWIW...

Here's some FYI.

I can't recommend it.   It is best avoided.   Be cool whenever possible.      But, a man has to do what's right.   Oh, that man better have a lot of cash on hand too.   I would recommend having access to well over $50K... for bond and another for retainer fees... as a minimum.

FYI.    Bond is refundable.    Lawyer's fees are not.

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I can't recommend it.   It is best avoided.  Be cool whenever possible.      But, a man has to do what's right.   Oh, that man better have a lot of cash on hand too.   I would recommend having access to well over $50K... for bond and another for retainer fees... as a minimum.

FYI.    Bond is refundable.    Lawyer's fees are not.

View Quote
That would be my guess and my advice to others.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey, hey, hey, watch out! One of our posters thinks we are required to help them stay in business, because they are so gun friendly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe the old crabby people on the board should stop complaining.  

The computer takes less than 5 minutes to get through the screens and it saves you  from physically writing out the 4473.  Writing might be a little bit faster, so the computer adds a whole minute of time.  Because something takes a whole minute hoboninja said he will never buy another lower from any gun dealer.  That will teach all the pro-gun businesses selling black rifles and lowers, screw the gun stores and FFLs, no one needs them anyway.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#17]
This has officially turned into a cry baby thread.  "they made me click a mouse, I will never buy a manufactured lower again".  Really people?  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe, I used a computer today to fill out the form 4473 for my new rifle. I, personally, prefer to do it that way. My handwriting stinks.

I will plead guilty to being "crabby" over the entire episode at Rural King. I got very "crabby" and let them know I was "crabby". The whole point of my post here is to let others know what to expect there and to do whatever they think is appropriate for themselves. I wish somebody had warned me what the policies at Rural King were before I went in there. I am not sure that bringing a legitimate issue to other people's attention qualifies as being "crabby".
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I went by the RK a few weeks ago to get some gardening stuff and quickly perused the gun area.

It wasn't anything I was impressed with and didn't really think all the hoopla I'd heard about it was worth it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:03:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This has officially turned into a cry baby thread.  "they made me click a mouse, I will never buy a manufactured lower again".  Really people?  
View Quote
I think he is more upset rural king does not use the ccdw license as the instant background check.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#21]
While I like our local (eh next state over actually) RK, it's only for odds-and-ends really and not firearms.

When it comes to firearms I'd much rather support the LGS here.  AFAIK they have no silly "policy" about ignoring permits (and no ammo limits!) Plus their customer service is pretty good.  (We bought a Taser from them, and twice they contacted me just to give me some extra parts/chargers they found for it).  I don't know when I'm going to get my next firearm but I at least know *who* I'll get it from.

SP: glad you got the firearm from someone who understands that you've already been vetted (multiple times I'm assuming since you're also an instructor).
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#22]
In the end, it's all about your right to disagree with a company's policy, and their freedom to do business as they see fit, within the law. I have done exactly what OP did many times, just took my money elsewhere. Yes, it's a drop in the bucket for a giant like RK, but fuck 'em, it's about a principle. I do not agree with OP in this case, but bravo for having the courage of your convictions, neighbor!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top