Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2017 8:07:26 PM EDT
I was born/raised in Corbin, Ky and left there in 1981.  I am going back for a special reunion but will have an extra 4-5 days to explore.
My plans so far include:
Cumberland Falls
Cumberland Gap
Berea
Corvette Museum
Maker's Mark
Woodford Reserve
Ky Horse Park
Churchhill Downs

Any other places I might want to see in eastern/mid Kentucky that I don't know about.  It's been a long time and I'm sure there's been a lot of changes.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:39:44 AM EDT
[#1]
When are you coming back?  I believe the corvette museum is suspending tours sometime next month for at least a year and a half.

We have lots of wineries now, if you are into that type of thing.  Last I heard it was over 70 of them.  My favorite is in Versailles called Wildside Winery.  It isn't too far out of your way from Woodford Reserve.  http://www.kentuckywine.com/wineries-and-vineyards/

Wild Turkey has a new visitors center over looking the Kentucky river.  I've only seen pictures but it looks really nice.  

Knob Creek machine gun shoot will be October.  Keeneland in Lexington is a very nice track to visit if their fall meet is going on.  Lexington has several great breweries now.  http://www.brewgrasstrail.com/

I'll let Daniel Boone explain it better.

Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Carter Caves, Cave Run, Red River Gorge.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When are you coming back?  I believe the corvette museum is suspending tours sometime next month for at least a year and a half
View Quote
Although the Corvette plant will be closed to the public for some time, the Corvette Museum will remain open.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Although the Corvette plant will be closed to the public for some time, the Corvette Museum will remain open.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When are you coming back?  I believe the corvette museum is suspending tours sometime next month for at least a year and a half
Thanks for the clarification.  Is the plant worth the tour or does it look like every other car plant?  

Have the fixed the giant sink hole under the museum?  I knew they said they were going to suspend the tours when that happened or at least part of the tours.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks for the clarification.  Is the plant worth the tour or does it look like every other car plant?  

Have the fixed the giant sink hole under the museum?  I knew they said they were going to suspend the tours when that happened or at least part of the tours.
View Quote
Full disclosure: I worked for the Corvette Museum for eight years.

Being a true gearhead I think both the museum and the plant are great yet different experiences. Yes the sinkhole has been fixed. I was working there at that time. Since the collapse was isolated to the Skydome they were able to keep the rest of the museum open while the sinkhole was being fixed.

Here is more info about the sinkhole:
http://www.corvettemuseum.org/corvette-cave-in-exhibit-opens-on-two-year-anniversary-of-museum-sinkhole/

LMK if you have further questions.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're going to be in Louisville, go take the Evan Williams tour and have an opportunity to pick up a 23yr bourbon from them while you're there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Full disclosure: I worked for the Corvette Museum for eight years.

Being a true gearhead I think both the museum and the plant are great yet different experiences. Yes the sinkhole has been fixed. I was working there at that time. Since the collapse was isolated to the Skydome they were able to keep the rest of the museum open while the sinkhole was being fixed.

Here is more info about the sinkhole:
http://www.corvettemuseum.org/corvette-cave-in-exhibit-opens-on-two-year-anniversary-of-museum-sinkhole/

LMK if you have further questions.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.  The museum is on my list of things to see.  Been saying that for 15 years now but I still plan to get there.  The factory would be interesting but not something I would go out of my way to see.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
If you go to the Vette museum, you should consider going to Mammoth Cave.

Makers Mark is a really cool distillery but there are other really nice ones in Woodford, Franklin, and Nelson county. You might find one really close to some other place you want to visit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Red River Gorge
Natural Bridge
Elk Restoration Area
Mammoth Cave
Kingdom Come State Park
Fort Knox/Patton Museum
Cabela's in Lexington
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top