Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2017 9:13:13 PM EDT
I just received a bill from "River Link" wanting me to send them $8.00 and nearest I can figure it was for Crossing on an interstate bridge that I've done a dozen times before.....I saw no Toll booths, or signs of any sort indicating a Toll Road; Now I understand why so many people hide or occlude their licenses plates.
Sneaky, mother fuckers and their cameras....and the State has a Private Company from Texas doing their dirty work.....fuck you!

I'd pay the Toll IF it were announced, instead you get this underhanded property grab...pissed is an understatement.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
There are no toll booths(they don't accept cash payments), there are plenty of signs, I have seen them. The tolls are are on both the Kennedy (South bound I-65) and Lincoln (north bound I-65) bridges. Crossing was free for about two months, up until the end of Dec. last year, then the tolls took effect.  The tolls, the rates, the start date were all blasted on radio, TV, internet, newspapers and every other type of media for months, before the tolls started. There are no tolls on the Clark Memorial Bridge  or Sherman Minton Bridge. If you want to avoid the tolls you can use one of them to get to Indiana. By the way, the tolls are the same at the east end bridge, too. I don't live near the Ohio River or even in Jefferson Co. and have no interest or intention of going to Indiana, but I know all of this about the tolls on the bridges, because I could not avoid all of the information that was put out for months before the tolls began. I could not avoid them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
So what is the user passing through to do?
The fee isn't the issue, however having a arbitrary Invoice for double the amount sent to you under color of Law and threats of suspensions really pisses me off!
Even a simple Kiosk at the Rest area would be acceptable, but getting something "Official" essentially saying "You passed through our Town last month and owe us XX dollars for doing so."  Isn't conducive or inviting of future business.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Do what the law requires maybe?      Possibly pay the toll ?    This is how construction, such as new bridges, is funded in several places in compliance with federal regulations.    

Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The tolls are are on both the Kennedy (South bound I-65) and Lincoln (north bound I-65) bridges.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]
When you first enter Louisville Metro and all along the interstates there are signs advising travelers that they can get reports on traffic on the radio, 1640 AM, I think. Bridge tolls were included in those messages for months. Maps, both printed and electronic, are available from many sources. The prudent traveler has plenty of resources to keep himself out of trouble, he just has to use them. Ignore them at your peril. If you lived around here, you could not have missed all the hoop-la. If you are not familiar with the area, it is wise to do a little research before you drive through. Just pay the 8 bucks and get ready for another bill for your return trip on the other bridge. It will be along soon.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
As I wrote earlier, you could have used either the Clark Memorial Bridge or the Sherman Minton Bridge. Both are toll free. 5 minutes of research could have told you that. Thank you for helping to pay for our new bridges.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do what the law requires maybe?      Possibly pay the toll ?    This is how construction, such as new bridges, is funded in several places in compliance with federal regulations.    

View Quote
That's not the problem: the issue is that not only did I not know there were tolls, there wasn't any way to pay it along the way.
The Toll Notice says:
04/08/2017 10:12AM  DTO  $4.00
04/08/2017 10:14AM  DTS  $4.00
I have no idea where/what "DTO" and "DTS are.
BTW: I absolutely know the concept of funding projects:  Several decades ago New York State decided to make a Thru Way Commission and collect Tolls on the I-90. Sounded like a great idea and the premise was it was only going to last a few years, well brother once they got a taste of all that money and the good things it would serve up to those under its spell, its done nothing but increase in rates.....how would you like to pull a tractor-trailer across NYS to be socked with a Toll charge north of $75.00 Be very wary of allowing  your representatives to be lured into agreements with private companies collecting money on their behalf.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As I wrote earlier, you could have used either the Clark Memorial Bridge or the Sherman Minton Bridge. Both are toll free. 5 minutes of research could have told you that. Thank you for helping to pay for our new bridges.
View Quote
Very well, I completely missed those notices and did not tune into the AM broadcast.  Having made the pilgrimage to Knob Creek twice a year for the last ten years I thought  it was business as usual.

Absolutely I will become well aware of local nuances as how to comply before ever spending another nickel in KY

I'd still like to know what location "DTO" and "DTS" are.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Very well, I completely missed those notices and did not tune into the AM broadcast.  Having made the pilgrimage to Knob Creek twice a year for the last ten years I thought  it was business as usual.

Absolutely I will become well aware of local nuances as how to comply before ever spending another nickel in KY

I'd still like to know what location "DTO" and "DTS" are.
View Quote
Yeah, it's about five minutes away, but it's not too bad. Just take the Sherman Minton Bridge. Knob Creek is worth the extra five minutes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's about five minutes away, but it's not too bad. Just take the Sherman Minton Bridge. Knob Creek is worth the extra five minutes.
View Quote
I don't mind buying their "Pass" or whatever they use, I just hate getting dinged double the rate and by surprise too boot!  

Again, what/where are these "DTO" and "DTS" locations? North and South bound I-65 over the OH/KY Line or ???
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
North and South bound I-65 over the OH/KY Line or ???
View Quote
I was going to say that the tolls are clearly marked on maps and atlases that I've got since 2016, but I'm guessing that there isn't much map reading going on here.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was going to say that the tolls are clearly marked on maps and atlases that I've got since 2016, but I'm guessing that there isn't much map reading going on here.
View Quote
Google clearly tells me there are tolls and routes me around it if I tell it to avoid tolls.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:33:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Google clearly tells me there are tolls and routes me around it if I tell it to avoid tolls.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Tom-Tom Go hasn't been updated since about last October....For decades I memorized routes, maps, and the necessary turns, exits, etc.  With the advent of GPS and spoken directions, I rely more so on it than plotting a course.  As for being notified of Tolls, well through NYS you pay a toll, so in my defense the notification was overlooked as suck because it doesn't differentiate, only notifies there are Tolls along the way.

Point everyone seems to miss or perhaps hasn't sunk into my thick head is that unless you buy some sort of RDF Pass in advance, you're going to get a ticket in the mail for double the toll.  
Perhaps in this day and age, some folks just accept things like this and move on; myself, it's a slap in the face or like being called a liar or thief....just because I live in a shitty State does NOT make me a shitty person.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My Tom-Tom Go hasn't been updated since about last October....For decades I memorized routes, maps, and the necessary turns, exits, etc.  With the advent of GPS and spoken directions, I rely more so on it than plotting a course.  As for being notified of Tolls, well through NYS you pay a toll, so in my defense the notification was overlooked as suck because it doesn't differentiate, only notifies there are Tolls along the way.

Point everyone seems to miss or perhaps hasn't sunk into my thick head is that unless you buy some sort of RDF Pass in advance, you're going to get a ticket in the mail for double the toll.  
Perhaps in this day and age, some folks just accept things like this and move on; myself, it's a slap in the face or like being called a liar or thief....just because I live in a shitty State does NOT make me a shitty person.
View Quote
What you haven't figured out is that it is not a "ticket", it is just a bill, a bill for using a facility that you used. It is not a slap in the face, it is just a bill. You are not being called a liar or thief or any other name, it is just a bill. It has nothing to do with where you live. Not everybody that lives in Louisville has gotten a transponder. This is the normal way that people without a transponder are billed for their tolls.That is only a good deal for people that use the bridge frequently. You are not being charged "double the toll". You are being charged the actual toll, if you used the bridge frequently and got a transponder, you would qualify for a reduced toll. You didn't do that, so you don't qualify for the discount. You have to pay the full toll, not a double toll. Stop whining about it and pay your toll, just like I would have to do if I used that bridge, and I live here. Don't be such a baby! You have made such a big deal out of this I hope they do charge you double. You didn't check a map, you didn't look at the signs, you didn't tune in your radio to the traffic alert station, you didn't update your GPS. What else do you think they could have done to tell you to expect a bill for your toll?  Once again, thanks for helping us pay for our new bridge.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
The transponder and monthly bill for the pass are much more expensive than the $8 you paid. It sucks more for truck drivers, they get dinged way more
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Guys, this is a troll tread.    We should stop responding.    Actually, the thread should be locked or deleted.    All of this information and more is explained in detail at the website, as stated in/on the invoice.  The website even includes where the offices are and how to pay in advance through the system while traveling.    This is ALL  a non-starter.  

Remember, this is coming from someone living in a state that locks up visitors and charges them with felonies over posessing standard magazines.   Hell, Chicago isn't even that bad!   I find it hard to get upset over a troll's bridge toll.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
unless you buy some sort of RDF Pass in advance, you're going to get a ticket in the mail for double the toll.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
unless you buy some sort of RDF Pass in advance, you're going to get a ticket in the mail for double the toll.
Yeah... no.  If you don't cross the toll bridge, you don't get any bill at all.  If you cross the toll bridge with a pre-paid account linked to your transponder, your bill is automatically deducted from said account at a reduced amount instead of being sent through the mail.  It really is that simple.

Quoted:
just because I live in a shitty State does NOT make me a shitty person.
Of course not.  It's the shitty demeanor that does that.

Quoted:
Guys, this is a troll tread.
Nah, I think there really are people this dense that get so worked up over things that should be common sense.  If someone doesn't know how roads, bridges, tolls, etc. work, maybe traveling isn't for them.  

Can you imagine the outrage at a border crossing?  " Doggonnit, nobody tol' me I needed a passport!"  
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Thread has turned into insults with nothing constructive coming from it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Thread has turned into insults with nothing constructive coming from it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top