Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2017 2:55:54 PM EDT
Howdy, I am very likely to be moving to the Murray area in the next couple of months.  I was looking over KY CCW laws and had a couple of questions.  

I see 6 month residency requirement to apply for CCW, so I am assuming that my IA permit will cover me.  I am unsure what the criteria of residency is based on.  If I get a KY driver's license, that will invalidate my IA CCW as I understand it.  I believe it is says no CC in any property that serves alcohol, i am not a bar kind of guy but do eat out frequently.  Is it an absolute 100 no go, or is there a per % of sales that makes it no go.  

Does anyone have a recommendation on CCW training course for the area?  Any ranges or clubs to check out?  

I did look through the AZ to KY thread, and looked for stickies or other threads, just couldn't find any seemingly relevant info in the KY Hometown forum.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Howdy, I am very likely to be moving to the Murray area in the next couple of months.  I was looking over KY CCW laws and had a couple of questions.  

I see 6 month residency requirement to apply for CCW, so I am assuming that my IA permit will cover me.  I am unsure what the criteria of residency is based on.  If I get a KY driver's license, that will invalidate my IA CCW as I understand it.  I believe it is says no CC in any property that serves alcohol, i am not a bar kind of guy but do eat out frequently.  Is it an absolute 100 no go, or is there a per % of sales that makes it no go.  

Does anyone have a recommendation on CCW training course for the area?  Any ranges or clubs to check out?  

I did look through the AZ to KY thread, and looked for stickies or other threads, just couldn't find any seemingly relevant info in the KY Hometown forum.

Thanks,
View Quote

The 6 months is old. you are now eligible as soon as you are a resident (address and KY drivers liscense). Your current permit is good for 90 days to allow you to get your KY permit. Restaurants are ok, but under KY law consumption of alcohol then use of a weapon is wanton.  Hope this helps
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  Relo is on, just don't have a hard date yet.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The 6 months is old. you are now eligible as soon as you are a resident (address and KY drivers liscense). Your current permit is good for 90 days to allow you to get your KY permit. Restaurants are ok, but under KY law consumption of alcohol then use of a weapon is wanton.  Hope this helps
View Quote
Please tell us what "law" says this. A link to the statute would be nice. Without some confirmation of this "law", I have to call BS.

The 90 day grace period that you referred to is actually 120 days, but it only applies to states that have a "reciprocity agreement" with Ky.  and the new resident of Ky. must file all the paper work within 60 days of becoming a Ky. resident.[KRS 237.110 (20)]. Does Iowa have one of those? If not the OP will not be eligible for that 120 days. I can not find a current list of states that have a "reciprocity agreement" with Ky., but I do know that just a few years ago Iowa had no such agreement with any state. Perhaps the OP can supply an answer to this from the Iowa end.

The solution to the question of residency is not defined in the statute. Some Sheriffs will accept almost anything (they want your $20). Others will be very picky and want to see something "official", like a drivers license, but remember everybody doesn't have a drivers license. Many people don't drive or have lost their drivers license. I know people that have been approved with just a dated utility bill in their name.

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Kind of a side note but I hope you love bass fishing or crappie fishing or both. You are going to be really close a to a premier bass and crappie fishery. I would love to be close to KY Lake but I am afraid I would become even more useless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top