Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2017 9:46:47 PM EDT
Hello All,

Im fairly quiet on the board however I was curious if anyone from Louisville/Jefferson Co. goes to the Silver Creek Conservation Club.  Sheerly by distance they seem to be the closest opportunity for IDPA/ USPSA and other types of competitive shooting.

I have not done any organized shooting events EVER. Im not new to firearms or firearm safety, but 10 years in the Infantry does not sharpen the spear with pistols or shotguns.  Ideally I hope to find a club of shooters better than myself to learn some things from that has a sense of community around it.  Over the next month or so I would like to attend an event to simply observe from the sidelines, take notes and introduce myself.  I would hate to make mistakes in an environment that I am unfamiliar, in front of people that don't know me, with on a weapon system that I have only mild comfortability with (relative to rifles).

With respect to the types of events I am considering shooting I have done some research on gear/ weapons and ammo.  For now I am keeping it simple with an unmodified xdm 5.25" 9mm and blade tech owb holster/ pouches. I have not chosen a belt yet and the opinions are so varied that I am still holding out.  My gear preferences are minimalist and ideally things that can be used if I transition to 3 gun at some point. ELS and super cool gear guy stuff is not in the cards for my personality. I like them but I cannot justify the cost yet.

My apologies if this has been addressed in this hometown forum before. Any and all advice/comments/tips are welcome.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello All,

Im fairly quiet on the board however I was curious if anyone from Louisville/Jefferson Co. goes to the Silver Creek Conservation Club.  Sheerly by distance they seem to be the closest opportunity for IDPA/ USPSA and other types of competitive shooting.

I have not done any organized shooting events EVER. Im not new to firearms or firearm safety, but 10 years in the Infantry does not sharpen the spear with pistols or shotguns.  Ideally I hope to find a club of shooters better than myself to learn some things from that has a sense of community around it.  Over the next month or so I would like to attend an event to simply observe from the sidelines, take notes and introduce myself.  I would hate to make mistakes in an environment that I am unfamiliar, in front of people that don't know me, with on a weapon system that I have only mild comfortability with (relative to rifles).

With respect to the types of events I am considering shooting I have done some research on gear/ weapons and ammo.  For now I am keeping it simple with an unmodified xdm 5.25" 9mm and blade tech owb holster/ pouches. I have not chosen a belt yet and the opinions are so varied that I am still holding out.  My gear preferences are minimalist and ideally things that can be used if I transition to 3 gun at some point. ELS and super cool gear guy stuff is not in the cards for my personality. I like them but I cannot justify the cost yet.

My apologies if this has been addressed in this hometown forum before. Any and all advice/comments/tips are welcome.
View Quote

Check your PMs in a few minutes
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Silvercreek, Knob Creek, and BGSL are likely the closest place for you to participate in USPSA/IDPA/Steel. You should check out their web sites and go to a few matches.

Do not buy anything you think you want for competition until you get a few matches under your belt. That way you can see what works for others and maybe borrow some items to try.

There is also USPSA and IDPA at the Ashland Gun Club and Rockcastle but that is further.

Idpa is also shot in Crittenden and Columbia once a month. It is shot 2 nights a week at S&D Range in Lexington/Nicholasville.

EDIT: I don't think they shoot IDPA at Rockcastle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I had a bad case of the derpies this morning, my inbox was full and I'm not sure if it sent. LMK if you did not get my PM. If you did I hope the info helps.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had a bad case of the derpies this morning, my inbox was full and I'm not sure if it sent. LMK if you did not get my PM. If you did I hope the info helps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM Sent, I did not receive a PM from you about this
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

PM Sent, I did not receive a PM from you about this
View Quote
I unfucked myself. Sorry about that.

Info on KPDL here: http://kpdl.freeforums.net/board/1/basic-information-faq
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KPDL-Kentuckiana-Practical-Defense-League-127046090749960/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top