Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2017 8:44:02 PM EDT
going in late May; typically, hows the weather for hiking & tent camping? what not to miss in the park?

since we're close, how much better is the Great Smokey Mt. NP? moar mountains? thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:59:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Daniel Boone NF is not a Park.  It is a region more than anything.  There are parks in the region/area.   The DBNF is not contiguous.    Google maps does not show it correctly.   Research it on Mapquest instead.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
any part more interesting than others? We've been to all the major parks in the west, this is
one of the more famous in the east so don't want to miss something; only have a couple of days-
how's tent camping that time of the year there?

thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Red River Gorge area and Natural Bridge are spots to see for sure if I am getting what you are after.  Leave the car empty, whatever you are not taking on trail leave in the room.

After that, the Smokys are also something to see.  Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome, etc... tons of trails.  Find the ones that are hard to get to and go there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Cumberland Falls
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Red River Gorge area and Natural Bridge are spots to see for sure if I am getting what you are after.
View Quote
Red River Gorge Geological Area is a fascinating place.  It is a great place for backpackers, as is neighboring Clifty Wilderness Area.   These areas are best explored backpacking November through March.   There is a nice loop drive that is spectacular when then leaves are turning.

Natural Bridge State Resort Park is next to The Gorge.   It is a little bit more touristy.   There should be info in the links I provided.

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cumberland Falls
View Quote
Cumberland Falls State Resort Park is another listed in the links I provided.   It is near the Kentucky and Tennessee boarder.   The Falls are referred to as the Niagara of the south.   Du Pont Lodge is one of the best KY state park lodges. The Falls are known for its "Moon Bow".     Like much of Eastern Kentucky, it is best appreciated when the leaves are off the trees.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
After that, the Smokys are also something to see.  Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome, etc... tons of trails.  Find the ones that are hard to get to and go there.
View Quote
In this region of Tennessee, you can find two of the greatest tourist traps in the eastern United States, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.   Families love those areas.  

Clingman's Dome is a beautiful drive any time of year.

One of the most unique lodges in the eastern US is LeCont Lodge.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks to all ya'll

any good pawn shops that i need to look into?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cumberland Falls State Resort Park is another listed in the links I provided.   It is near the Kentucky and Tennessee boarder.   The Falls are referred to as the Niagara of the south.   Du Pont Lodge is one of the best KY state park lodges. The Falls are known for its "Moon Bow".     Like much of Eastern Kentucky, it is best appreciated when the leaves are off the trees.
View Quote
And might as well stop at Cumberland Gap itself.  Nice bit of history.  It's on the way to the Smokies.  Might as well stop at Fort Boonesboro near Winchester.  Get a Daniel Boone hat while you're on the way from the gorge to Cumberland (my kid thought it was a good idea anyway).  25E is basically the original wilderness road blazed by Boone and will take you straight to Sevierville and the Smokies.  It doesn't really add much time (because it avoids Knoxville traffic) and there are a couple scenic spots (and speedtraps) on the TN side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top