Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2017 1:24:14 AM EDT
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/17RS/HB417.htm

Don't pay any attention to all the BS amendments from Mary Lou Marzian. Just click and read HCS1, at the top of the list of amendments and SFA1, at the bottom of the list. This bill won't effect many of us, unless we are police officers or CC instructors. The only reason I even mention it is, it may be the only thing we get this year.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I even mention it is, it may be the only thing we get this year.[/b][/size=4]
View Quote

It is frustrating that there was GOP majority and gun rights weren't advanced. Was this year just too hot and busy with other issues that guns took a backseat?

What can I do to help in the off season until 2018? If I've got my years right 2018 is a budget year which means a longer session but, the budget takes priority, so will guns take a backseat again?

I know you guys aren't fond of the Libertarians, but the LP has ballot access, what anti-gun D's need a challenge in a general election? The LP might be willing to send up a candidate if the R's are not.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#3]
We should pass it with Marzian's amendments
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like the cut of your jib.

Quoted here so others can see them:

HCS1/LM - Amend KRS 237.137 regarding off-duty or retired peace officers to provide that it is a violation to prevent or attempt to prevent an authorized person from carrying a concealed firearm; establish fines.
    HFA1( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 199.570 to require the Cabinet for Health and Family Services to provide a handgun to each adoptive parent and the adopted child when a new birth certificate is issued.
    HFA2( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 213.046 to require that a handgun be provided to each parent and child upon the registry and certification of a live birth.
    HFA3( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 186.490 to require that handguns be provided to any person acquiring a commercial driver's license or an operator's license.
    HFA4( M. Marzian ) - Create a new section of KRS Chapter 335B to require that a handgun be provided to each person who is granted a professional license from the state.
    HFA5( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 402.100 to require that county clerks provide handguns to each party named on any application for a marriage license.
    HFA6( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 382.110 to require county clerks to provide handguns to each signatory to a recorded mortgage or deed.
    HFA7( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 402.100 to require that county clerks provide handguns to each party named on any application for a marriage license.
    HFA8( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 382.110 to require county clerks to provide handguns to each signatory to a recorded mortgage or deed.
    HFA9( M. Marzian ) - Create a new section of KRS Chapter 335B to require that a handgun be provided to each person who is granted a professional license from the state.
    HFA10( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 186.490 to require that handguns be provided to any person acquiring a commercial driver's license or an operator's license.
    HFA11( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 213.046 to require that a handgun be provided to each parent and child upon the registry and certification of a live birth.
    HFA12( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 199.570 to require the Cabinet for Health and Family Services to provide a handgun to each adoptive parent and the adopted child when a new birth certificate is issued.
    HFA13( R. Benvenuti III ) - Amends 527.020 to include an attorney specified in KRS 15.100(2) in the list of persons who may carry a concealed deadly weapon at all times and in all locations throughout the Commonwealth if they have a license.
    HFA14( R. Benvenuti III ) - Make title amendment.
    SFA1( R. Jones II ) - Amend KRS 237.110 to establish parameters for organizations which may train and certify firearms instructors to teach safety courses to concealed deadly weapons permit applicants; amend KRS 237.120 and 237.122 to allow instructors to charge a fee in any amount for instructor and applicant training courses, rather than capping the fee at $100 and $75 respectively; amend KRS 237.138 and 237.132 to remove the requirement that hands-on firearms cleaning be part of courses.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

They have enough votes to try it.  They should pass the one the mentions giving handguns to people who file a deed.  The county makes enough tax revenue from the property to easily be able to do that.  Let the whole world see how crazy she is.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#6]
There are 3 or 4 working days left this session. What, if anything, can I do to help during those 4 days?

During the offseason what can I do to help? I'm thinking I need to make time to attend at least one event each of my state legislators might host. I need to check the expiration date on my KC3 membership.

The charitable gun groups I run with (Friends of NRA mostly) are also seeing a slump. The Friends don't do politics but gun owners just aren't hanging in the fight when we've got a great chance to advance instead of just holding the line. I don't blame people for being burnt out and a little broke, prices were insane before the election again. I also see that the majority powers want to make better progress on issues other than gun rights. Can't say I blame them but I better see stunning progress on other fronts.

Is there any sane strategy to ensure that favorable reps stay favorable and get something done? Any sane strategy to get less favorable reps to get with it and get on board? Any sane strategy to get unfavorable reps the hell out?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

gun owners just aren't hanging in the fight when we've got a great chance to advance instead of just holding the line.

Is there any sane strategy to ensure that favorable reps stay favorable and get something done?
View Quote

There is a reason the NRA materials always make it sound as if "the sky is falling".  Unless people feel they are going to lose something many aren't inclined to act.  Once it becomes "too late" they come out of the woodwork and demand to know why you didn't do more.

No sane way to handle it, that is just how it goes.  The best success that I have seen is to try to find a core group of people who like to be social.  Use that to put on events and have fun.  The gun owners won't show up to every event but if you can get them to show up once a year and stay informed, then when it does become go-time you will have a bunch of people who may turn out.  

When it is go-time and those members tell their reps who they identify with, then that is where you power comes from and it is what keeps the reps honest.  When you can say you have 5,000 "members" and many of them will contact their legislators when told, then your organization gains credibility and all it takes is the leadership staying in formed and the leadership reminding the reps about the number of members you have.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#8]
This bill has not been passed yet. The General Assembly has recessed until March 28th and then the 2017 session will end on March 29th. HB 417 could squeak in and become law. It has been amended so many times that I am not sure which amendments have been included and which have been left out. I know all of Mary Lou Marzian's amendments were excluded. This bill will make significant changes in the requirements for the training to get a Ky. CCDW and a couple of other things.  http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/17RS/HB417.htm
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#9]
HB 417 just got across the finish line on the last day. Today was the final day of the 2017 legislative session and the House concurred with the Senate's committee substitute for HB 417. The vote was 85-8. HB 417 now goes to the Governor for his signature. Once Gov. Bevin signs the bill, it will become the only gun bill passed in this first Republican dominated General Assembly in 75 years. They could only manage to pass one gun bill. You can see HB 417 here:
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/17RS/HB417.htm
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I can get behind this, though I would need a bigger safe

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HCS1/LM - Amend KRS 237.137 regarding off-duty or retired peace officers to provide that it is a violation to prevent or attempt to prevent an authorized person from carrying a concealed firearm; establish fines.
    HFA1( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 199.570 to require the Cabinet for Health and Family Services to provide a handgun to each adoptive parent and the adopted child when a new birth certificate is issued.
    HFA2( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 213.046 to require that a handgun be provided to each parent and child upon the registry and certification of a live birth.
    HFA3( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 186.490 to require that handguns be provided to any person acquiring a commercial driver's license or an operator's license.
    HFA4( M. Marzian ) - Create a new section of KRS Chapter 335B to require that a handgun be provided to each person who is granted a professional license from the state.
    HFA5( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 402.100 to require that county clerks provide handguns to each party named on any application for a marriage license.
    HFA6( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 382.110 to require county clerks to provide handguns to each signatory to a recorded mortgage or deed.
    HFA7( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 402.100 to require that county clerks provide handguns to each party named on any application for a marriage license.
    HFA8( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 382.110 to require county clerks to provide handguns to each signatory to a recorded mortgage or deed.
    HFA9( M. Marzian ) - Create a new section of KRS Chapter 335B to require that a handgun be provided to each person who is granted a professional license from the state.
    HFA10( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 186.490 to require that handguns be provided to any person acquiring a commercial driver's license or an operator's license.
    HFA11( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 213.046 to require that a handgun be provided to each parent and child upon the registry and certification of a live birth.
    HFA12( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 199.570 to require the Cabinet for Health and Family Services to provide a handgun to each adoptive parent and the adopted child when a new birth certificate is issued.
    HFA13( R. Benvenuti III ) - Amends 527.020 to include an attorney specified in KRS 15.100(2) in the list of persons who may carry a concealed deadly weapon at all times and in all locations throughout the Commonwealth if they have a license.
    HFA14( R. Benvenuti III ) - Make title amendment.
    SFA1( R. Jones II ) - Amend KRS 237.110 to establish parameters for organizations which may train and certify firearms instructors to teach safety courses to concealed deadly weapons permit applicants; amend KRS 237.120 and 237.122 to allow instructors to charge a fee in any amount for instructor and applicant training courses, rather than capping the fee at $100 and $75 respectively; amend KRS 237.138 and 237.132 to remove the requirement that hands-on firearms cleaning be part of courses.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Yesterday, April 11, Governor Bevin signed HB 417 into law.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top