Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/2/2017 7:21:44 PM EDT
Tomorrow, Jan. 3, a constitutional carry bill will be introduced in the Ky Senate. This bill has been in the works for 9 months, ever since the 2016 General Assembly adjourned. The bill was a joint collaboration of representatives from NRA Headquarters in Va., local NRA field representatives and members of the Board of KC3. Senator Albert Robinson will be the sponsor of the bill, just like last year. Senator Robinson was also heavily involved in writing this bill and approving what went into it. Nobody wanted a repeat of the mistakes and misunderstandings of last year.

For the first 90 days after last year's session, we tried to make the 37 page monstrosity from 2016 into something workable, but finally everyone involved decided it just could not be done and we had to start over with a new idea.

This years bill will not suit everybody, we couldn't do that either. There are things in this bill that I didn't want, but we attempted to write a bill that we could get passed, not try to please everybody. Just like our existing concealed carry law, we can improve it with time, but first we have to get it passed.

The bill will:
1. It will bear no resemblance to last years terrible 37 page bill.
2. It will be short. 5 full pages and a short paragraph on the 6th page.
3. Most of the 5 pages is just restating of existing law without any changes or in some cases minor changes to remove references to "licenses" or "permits".
4. The "meat" of the bill, the part that makes it legal to carry concealed without a license, comes in one paragraph, the second paragraph of the bill and only takes up one sentence.
5. Places where you can not carry a concealed weapon are exactly the same, word for word, as in the licensing law.
6. Ability of private property owners to restrict unlicensed concealed carry is exactly the same as in the licensing statute, word for word.
7. Ability of colleges and universities to control weapons is exactly the same as  the existing law.
8. Authority of cities and counties to prohibit unlicensed concealed carry is the same as their authority to prohibit licensed concealed carry.
9. There is no change to the existing licensing system.(It is not even mentioned in this bill.) Those that want to get a license can still do so and it will still be useful for travel outside Ky. and as an exemption to the NIC background check.

Before some asks, Yes, I think we can get this passed, this year.

Here is a link to the 2017 Constitutional Carry bill. (This is not an official copy. That will not be made public until tomorrow morning. This is the last working draft that I was sent for comment and revision, last Friday. I don't expect the official version to be any different):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sEWTOVS8mR-spganIhA_FdkxD9g10PAQ6IpVmOlrrSo/edit?usp=sharing
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#1]
So are there any parts of it that would make Carry conceal more restrictive on any level?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So are there any parts of it that would make Carry conceal more restrictive on any level?
View Quote

No. It was intentionally written to make it just like we have now, only without a license. Nothing new for law enforcement to learn, nothing new for us to learn, no confusion and nothing new for the legislators to complain about.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No. It was intentionally written to make it just like we have now, only without a license. Nothing new for law enforcement to learn, nothing new for us to learn, no confusion and nothing new for the legislators to complain about.
View Quote

I think that's exactly how an issue like this should be accomplished. Keep it simple. Another bill can be brought up to legalize bar carry, campus carry, etc. individually.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The bill was filed this morning. It is Senate Bill 7. The low SB number is an indication of the priority that they are giving this bill. It is possible that it could be heard in committee on Thursday, but more likely next Thursday. I expect it to move very quickly through the Senate.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#5]
so ultimately if you can lawfully own a firearm in ky, then you will have cc rights, and there is only one reason to even get a lic and that is to get reciprocity across state lines.Correct? Does this give non ky residence the same right when they come here?
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
so ultimately if you can lawfully own a firearm in ky, then you will have cc rights, and there is only one reason to even get a lic and that is to get reciprocity across state lines.Correct? Does this give non ky residence the same right when they come here?
View Quote

Don't forget the exemption from the NIC background check that you get for having a license. As far as non residents go, the fact that carrying a concealed weapons is no longer a crime will apply to them as well. What could they be charged with?

I got this in my email today:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170103/kentucky-legislative-session-convenes-with-introduction-of-constitutional-carry-legislation
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not good at reading legal stuff, if this passes on current form how will this handle store owners.

Say I walk into a store CCed and somehow they find out Im carrying and ask me to leave. No law is broken if I leave then but it's trespassing if I don't leave.

Will that remain the same?

Thanks again for all you do!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing changes. The exact wording from the concealed licensing statute was brought over to this new one. There is no difference on private property, there is no difference for city and county buildings. There is no difference for colleges and universities. They are all handled exactly as they are today for licensed carry. The list of places where you can't carry concealed is the same list as in the licensing statute( police station, sheriff's office etc.). You can switch back and forth between licensed concealed carry and unlicensed concealed carry and not miss a beat. There would not be any differences. Licensed today, unlicensed tomorrow, then back to licensed the next day; no differences.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually, I disagree. If you have a CCDW and don't have it on you while carrying concealed you would still be in violation of the statute(KRS 237.110). That statute is not going away. If you are stupid enough to admit that you left it at home, you could still be cited and have to pay the $25. If you just said, "I don't have one, because we don't need them anymore", you could walk.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:17:02 AM EDT
[#12]
It may be a long time before "clear case law" is established over a $25 fine.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:47:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nothing changes. The exact wording from the concealed licensing statute was brought over to this new one. There is no difference on private property, there is no difference for city and county buildings. There is no difference for colleges and universities. They are all handled exactly as they are today for licensed carry. The list of places where you can't carry concealed is the same list as in the licensing statute( police station, sheriff's office etc.). You can switch back and forth between licensed concealed carry and unlicensed concealed carry and not miss a beat. There would not be any differences. Licensed today, unlicensed tomorrow, then back to licensed the next day; no differences.
View Quote

Awesome!

thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The waiting has begun.   Are there any other great proposals waiting?    I am wondering if there are any plans to address any of the following.

The bar carry
"Gun Free" zones
Penalties/liabilities for business that restrict carry and have shootings happen impacting those who could carry, much like the recent TN law.  
Others?
View Quote

I don't know. I've been pretty busy with SB 7, my day is only 24 hrs. long. What have you been doing?  I expect that there will be other pro gun bills this session, but its only 30 days long this year. These things don't "just happen". They take work. If you want something done, you have to convince a legislator that it needs to be done and then that he is the one to do it. Is there anybody else in the state of Ky. that is doing anything, except the NRA and KC3? Is everybody that cares, or says they care, about these issues a member of both of those organizations? Do you regularly speak to the active members of those organizations and tell them what you want? Do you offer to help do the work? Until that happens, solutions to your particular issues may be years or decades away. The election of republicans to the General Assembly in November has given us the opportunity to make some progress. It's too late to ask these question for 2017. Now is the time to start working to get these things done in 2018.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I am not looking for trouble nor to displease anyone.   I just asked if anything else was coming.   I apologize if I disrespected anyone.   Neither do I want to detract from what is being done.    That was not my intention.

I spend most of my day with work for a corporation,  usually 10 hrs a day.      I spilt my time between Northern KY and Louisville.   At this point in life, I am pretty worthless, as my time is not my own.    I should not complain , as this is a very common existence.

I sincerely hope  Kentucky gun rights are advanced in this new administration and Congress.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:44:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[size=4][b] The bill was a joint collaboration of representatives from NRA Headquarters in Va., local NRA field representatives and members of the Board of KC3.
View Quote

I am a Kentucky N0ob, but I found this, and I'm joining tonight.   Already a NRA Lifer.
http://kc3.com/join-kc3/

Being a political activist in philosophy is time-consuming:  you have to read and study history and legal documents and all sortsa junk, keep up with news, etc.
But being a practical political activist is a helluva lot of work.    It seems that most of us who work for a living don't have time for that.   If there's a spouse, even less and with kids, just about forget about it.   I would really enjoy a day at the capital, but I'd have to burn 8 hrs of paid leave to do it.   I only get so much of that each year.

I'm thrilled that softpoint has the time and know-how and shares freely with us.   I'd much rather read anything he writes vs read about it in "the news".
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:27:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Everything you said is true. When I was working and when my children were young, I was in the same situation. I hated not being able to do these things. Now, I am retired and my children are all grown and on their own. I have the time and the energy to do this. I don't live too far from Frankfort and I feel compelled to work at this. I just hope I can accomplish some worthwhile things before I get too old to do it any more.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for keeping us filled in soft point.

ETA and for all the work you do.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Just be prepared for some opposition from the State Police on this issue.

I have already heard they have "concerns" with this bill.

That normally means they will oppose it.  

Not unexpected but this is not a done deal.  

They have a lot of influence in the legislature (or did) so I just hope we can overcome it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just be prepared for some opposition from the State Police on this issue.

I have already heard they have "concerns" with this bill.

That normally means they will oppose it.  

Not unexpected but this is not a done deal.  

They have a lot of influence in the legislature (or did) so I just hope we can overcome it.
View Quote

I sympathize with the KSP. They have very dangerous jobs and I can imagine they will only get more apprehensive if every Tom, Dick, and Harry can legally conceal a weapon and they have no way of knowing until they see the weapon. I would not conduct traffic stops alone in a rural county at night like they do every day. However, I am very tired of the many suffering the stupidity of the few. The vast majority of people who carry (or will carry) a weapon would not use it against any policeman. Sadly being a policeman is a dangerous job and they just need to accept the risk or do something else for a paycheck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#22]
We know there will be opposition. We think we know where most of it will come from. We are prepared for it. If we only try to pass laws that have no opposition, the General Assembly would only need to meet about a week a year. Dealing with opposition is part of the process. If you can't make a case for your bill and convince people that it is better than what we have now, you don't deserve to have it passed.

As far as police stops on country roads at night. Does anyone think that a LEO doesn't approach every stop now as if the occupant of the car is armed? If he doesn't he won't be around long. A person that would harm a LEO is not waiting for this bill to pass to start carrying a gun. He is already doing it, legally or illegally. Those people don't concern themselves with laws. The people that will obey this law, are the people that obey other laws. The people that violate laws will violate any and all of them and are are already doing so. Those people are the reason that we, and police officers, need to carry guns to protect ourselves and our loved ones.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Good to hear that REAL common sense gun legislation is coming to Kentucky.

Constitutional Carry is one thing I do miss from my time living in Arizona, glad to see it potentially coming here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
so if this passes.  would current ccdw holders no longer have to renew their existing license anymore?
View Quote

That would likely depend on where they want to go. Many (if not most) other states will not accept constitutional carry in your home state as a legitimate qualification for concealed carry in their state. In other words, if you want to legally carry a concealed gun in other states, you will need to keep your KY license current.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#26]
From the Kentucky legislature websites description of the bill:

AN ACT relating to firearms.
   Amend KRS 527.020 to allow persons not otherwise prohibited by other laws to carry concealed weapons without a license, excluding certain prohibited locations; specify that businesses and health facilities may prohibit concealed weapons by posting notice, with exceptions for some vehicles; amend KRS 237.115 to conform; repeal KRS 403.754.

The "specify that business and health facilities may prohibit by posting notice" .. is that different? It doesn't set us up with sign carrying weight of law does it?
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
so if this passes.  would current ccdw holders no longer have to renew their existing license anymore?
View Quote

That depends on them. I'll be keeping mine. I want it for use in other states when I travel. I also want to keep the exemption from the NIC background check when I buy a gun. Others, may not want to keep their's. The licensing system will remain in place for renewals and for new licensee that want it. To answer your question more exactly, no, you won't have to renew. It will be your choice.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
From the Kentucky legislature websites description of the bill:

AN ACT relating to firearms.
   Amend KRS 527.020 to allow persons not otherwise prohibited by other laws to carry concealed weapons without a license, excluding certain prohibited locations; specify that businesses and health facilities may prohibit concealed weapons by posting notice, with exceptions for some vehicles; amend KRS 237.115 to conform; repeal KRS 403.754.

The "specify that business and health facilities may prohibit by posting notice" .. is that different? It doesn't set us up with sign carrying weight of law does it?
View Quote

That is exactly, word for word, what the existing licensing statute says. Those paragraphs were just "copied and pasted" from KRS 237.110 and KRS 237.115. There are no changes in the places where concealed weapons are prohibited and no changes about  how "No Guns" signs are handled on private property or on public property. It is just like we have had with the licenses for 21 years. This was done intentionally, because of the mess that was made of the bill last year and because this way nobody has to learn anything new and we didn't want it handled one way with a license and a different way without a license. We just wanted to do as we have always done.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 3:40:12 AM EDT
[#31]
SB 7 has picked up several co-sponsors:

R. Alvarado of Winchester. Senator Alvarado was chosen to speak at the Republican National Convention, this past summer, when Trump was nominated.
C. B. Embry Jr. of Morgantown and a 14 year member of the General Assembly, Vice Chair of the committee that will hear this bill.
R. Girdler, a newly elected member from Somerset.
P. Hornback, a six year Senate member from Shelby Co.
D. Parrett, the lone democrat to co-sponor the bill, so far and a member of the committee that will hear the bill
J. Schickel, from Boone Co. and an 8 year member of the Senate
D. Seum, from Fairdale. Past Senate Majority Whip, current Majority Caucus Chairman and member of the committee.
D. Thayer, Senate Majority Floor Leader.
M. Wilson, newly elected Senator and a member of the Committee that will hear the bill

This a powerful group of people, for the most part, and I feel certain that the list will grow much larger before the committee meets again. I can only see three certain "No" votes on the committee. There could be others. There are a few that I am uncertain of.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#32]
"softpoint" I thank you for your excellent work and for keeping us updated on this important issue.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Very encouraging article, thanks! 
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#35]
On Thursday, Feb. 9, the Senate Committee on Veterans, Military Affairs and Public Protection will hold a public hearing on Senate Bill 7. If the bill is reported favorably out of this committee, it will go to the floor for a vote of the full Senate. If they do not report it favorably, it is dead. The committee will meet at 9 a.m. in Committee Room 169 of the Capitol Annex in Frankfort. I'll be there and hope some of you will come, too. I expect the bill to pass this committee vote without much trouble and then pass the full Senate vote. The House would be next. Nobody knows what to expect with the House. There is new leadership, new rules, new members. It's a new ball game that no living person has every seen before.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:37:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the update.  I may try and make it on the 9th.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I was going attend, but can't do Thursdays.

Thursdays are my worst day at work.   I avoid taking vacation days on Thursdays.   If I am sick on Thursday, I usually connect remotely and attend meetings remotely.

The one day I hate to miss, because it is so hard to catch up or make, is Thursday.

Hope others try go.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Now is the time that you can be the most help with this bill. Call 800-372-7181. That is the Legislative Message Line. You can leave a message for all the members of the Committee with one call. Don't bother calling your Senator, unless he happens to be on the Committee. Committee members are the only ones that get to vote on this next week. When you call, you will get a nice lady, be polite with her. She will ask for your name, address and some other information. When she gets that, she'll ask who you want to leave a message for. Tell her your message is for "all the members of the Senate committee on Veterans, Military Affairs and Public Protection". After she gets that, she will ask for your message. Your message is "vote to support Senate Bill 7 and send it to the Senate floor with a favorable report". The message line is only open from 8-4:30 on weekdays.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Elzetta, it was great meeting you at the NRA convention last year! I love your flashlights!

Like last year, there will be a pointless protest by Moms Demand Action on SB-7 on Feb.9. This would be a good day to schedule a meeting with your rep or just stop by.

https://act.everytown.org/event/moms-demand-action-event/5121/signup/?akid=&zip=
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Seriously?   Thursday?    Again?      I can't  manage Thursdays.   Those are my worst work day.     I often plan vacations around Thursdays.

How do they not have to work?    Or, are they all trophy wives?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#42]
By the poor character of the ones I've interacted with I'd hardly call them "trophies" on outward or inward beauty.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Seriously?   Thursday?    Again?      I can't  manage Thursdays.   Those are my worst work day.     I often plan vacations around Thursdays.

How do they not have to work?    Or, are they all trophy wives?
View Quote

Obviously, you have never seen these "ladies". I doubt that any of them are of an age to hold a job and they definitely don't qualify for any trophy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Now is the time that you can be the most help with this bill. Call 800-372-7181. That is the Legislative Message Line. You can leave a message for all the members of the Committee with one call. Don't bother calling your Senator, unless he happens to be on the Committee. Committee members are the only ones that get to vote on this next week. When you call, you will get a nice lady, be polite with her. She will ask for your name, address and some other information. When she gets that, she'll ask who you want to leave a message for. Tell her your message is for "all the members of the Senate committee on Veterans, Military Affairs and Public Protection". After she gets that, she will ask for your message. Your message is "vote to support Senate Bill 7 and send it to the Senate floor with a favorable report". The message line is only open from 8-4:30 on weekdays.
View Quote

Done!

I've passed it along to shooting buddies, friends and family.

The phone call took me less than 3 minutes and the woman taking the call message is very pleasant.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#46]
There will be no committee hearing on SB 7, tomorrow. I don't know exactly why, but it can't be good. This would be a very, very good time to contact your state Senator and ask WTF. Seriously, it is time to yell at everybody, something has gone wrong at the last minute. It's time for some arm twisting.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I am going to guess LEO associations (state police assoc.,  association of sheriffs, and city police associations).     Just my WAG.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Bill is now dead, dead, dead. Very good guess RacyCarr. Too many complaints, not enough support heard.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Very disappointing.
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top