Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2016 4:31:41 PM EDT
Anyone going/go to the meeting at Tates Creek HS in Lexington?  Just curious as to how that went...

(For those that don't know, three "kids" got caught with loaded (2) and unloaded (1) handguns at TCHS in two weeks...  The school system/community/activists have planned a meeting at the school to discuss the "gun problem.")
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
At least it isn't a "worthless shitbag" problem.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At least it isn't a "worthless shitbag" problem.
View Quote

Their fathers must be very disappointed in the kids' behavior.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
other than suggesting having armed guards, and or MORE armed guards at the school.

not much else can be done since they are under 21
View Quote

WTMDs, clear/mesh/no bags, enforced dress codes... There is plenty that could be done to keep them out in the first place.

And you're right, they're generally under 18 (or 21), so they just couldn't be responsible for themselves or for their own actions.  Right. If someone wants to play that game and believe that, then what follows is that *someone* is responsible for them and their actions, be it a parent, a guardian, or whomever.  No more "oh, he got it when I wasn't looking" or "I can't watch him 24/7" lines; either hold the student accountable or hold the student's custodian accountable. Someone is responsible for that person's actions and actions have consequences.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

WTMDs, clear/mesh/no bags, enforced dress codes... There is plenty that could be done to keep them out in the first place.

And you're right, they're generally under 18 (or 21), so they just couldn't be responsible for themselves or for their own actions.  Right. If someone wants to play that game and believe that, then what follows is that *someone* is responsible for them and their actions, be it a parent, a guardian, or whomever.  No more "oh, he got it when I wasn't looking" or "I can't watch him 24/7" lines; either hold the student accountable or hold the student's custodian accountable. Someone is responsible for that person's actions and actions have consequences.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
other than suggesting having armed guards, and or MORE armed guards at the school.

Be careful what you ask for. There is a prefiled bill in the Senate this year that might fix this problem. Read it here:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/17RS/prefiled/BR186/bill.pdf

Is that what you want?
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Be careful what you ask for. There is a prefiled bill in the Senate this year that might fix this problem. Read it here:

Is that what you want?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that what you want?

Of course there is always something like that waiting in the wings and, of course, more regulation is not what I want and probably not what anyone else here wants.  I haven't seen that one, but I assumed that it existed.   I was going to include a snarky Archer meme along the lines of "do you want ____, because this is how you get ____" but I held back.

Regulating an item in that manner because you're scared of it is absurd. TBH, I think the prohibition on school carry is a bum deal. Either way, there is already plenty of law in effect for these cases. Minor with firearms, firearms on HS property, CCDW violation, and probably more.  Reinforcing their notion that they are just playing consequence free games with no personal accountability isn't doing anyone any favors.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Soooooooooooo.......

Did anyone go to the meeting?
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 1:29:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry, I was too busy watching the news about the Tate's Creek student on Honey Jay Court getting shot in the head and killed. But that was only T.C. High adjacent, probably doesn't count.

That area is a damned mess.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember living on Trent back in the early 90's and running down Center Parkway when I was looking for a new running loop. Only did that once even back then.
I am kinda surprised there have not been more issues like this.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I heard that the 2 kids with guns were actually skipping school, were picked up and taken to school by a LEO then it was found that they had guns.  . Don't know if that's true or not..but if so
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#11]
KD5TXX,

That is correct. The police department did pick up two of the kids and take them to school in the back of a squad car, only to later find pistols on them as they were forced to go to school.  The kids had no intention of bringing a firearm to school.  They were trying to provide a level of self protection for themselves.  Not going to comment on why they need self protection or why as children they are in these situations, but it sucks all around.

Bust them for illegal concealed carry or try by minor or what ever laws that are on the book that were broken, but I do not believe the added charge of bringing a gun to school fits here.

The third child brought in a pistol in such poor condition the action would not work, nor was it loaded.  That child has also been reported to be developmentally challenged and was carrying for self protection because of an incident with a family member getting beat up. Kid was scared and had from what I understand a realistic expectation that harm could come his way too and he did not want to be a victim.

Sad situation all around.  The kids were trying to protect themselves in what is a pretty bad part of a very pretty town.  It is crazy what these kids are going thru.

It is also a sad situation for Tates Creek HS.  They are getting a bad rap for actions and decisions made by others and this is creating a perception that the school and the kids there are all trouble makers, which is not the case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top