Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2016 9:23:20 AM EDT
Topic pretty much says it. My boy is almost ready for kindergarten and I have to decide between JCPS or private school. I can't fathom that private kindergarten is a thing but here we are.

My overall impression of JCPS is "adequate". The bussing thing is bullshit, though they seem to have it tuned enough that my kid won't be going across town. I have two more coming up behind him and it baffles me that its possible for all three of them to end up in different schools.

My wifes background is in education, she's on point for this decision.

Do you all have any advice or opinions? Experiences with your own kids' schools and teachers?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#1]
My experience with JCPS has been less then satisfactory. My impression was that most employees are there for the check only. Not all because we did have some good teachers who cared and worked very hard to help the students, but they were few and far between. We tried to use the magnet programs and be personally very active in the school but it still was a less than an adequate situation.  It's hard to instruct and work with the kids that are trying to learn when you spend most of your time with behavioral issues.

We eventually left and when to the catholic school system. This is our second year and I couldn't be more pleased. Way less behavior issues and most if not all the people involved are there because they care about education and kids. If I had it to do over again I would have went private out of the door.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't send a dog to JCPS, simply because of the SJW programming, which starts in kindergarten.    

I sincerely view JCPS as the worst district in the state, below those of Eastern KY.

This is due largely to the attitudes of the administration, their attitude toward social experimentation, and their progressive SJW agenda.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My experience with JCPS has been less then satisfactory. My impression was that most employees are there for the check only. Not all because we did have some good teachers who cared and worked very hard to help the students, but they were few and far between. We tried to use the magnet programs and be personally very active in the school but it still was a less than an adequate situation.  It's hard to instruct and work with the kids that are trying to learn when you spend most of your time with behavioral issues.

We eventually left and when to the catholic school system. This is our second year and I couldn't be more pleased. Way less behavior issues and most if not all the people involved are there because they care about education and kids. If I had it to do over again I would have went private out of the door.

View Quote

How are you getting this impression of the teachers? Where I'm coming from here is that I don't know how to evaluate  a school. I think I need to make time for open houses and ask some hard questions.

Test scores are part of it. Those are objective but on the other hand No Child Left Behind is bullshit and I want my kids educated not merely able to pass tests.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How are you getting this impression of the teachers? Where I'm coming from here is that I don't know how to evaluate  a school. I think I need to make time for open houses and ask some hard questions.

Test scores are part of it. Those are objective but on the other hand No Child Left Behind is bullshit and I want my kids educated not merely able to pass tests.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both my wife and myself volunteered at least twice a week when my daughter was in JCPS. So most of my impressions of the JCPS are from that. When I would be in the class I would spend most of my time working with the kids that are interested in learning while the teacher and teachers aide dealt with the behavioral issues, and there was a lot of that. Another example was field trips when I would get assigned the "good" kids, about a third of the class and the teacher would take all the issues. This would vary year to year because the make up off the class changes. Sometimes you would end up with a good class but that became less likely as the kids aged.

I can not say that the JCPS teachers didn't care but the environment makes it hard to make a difference. I think when you have 20-35 students a class it becomes hard to accomplish anything cause at any given moment someone(s) is acting out. It is possible to get a good education at JCPS but it is in spite of the system not because of it.  

As far as how to interview schools your guess is as good as mine. We visited several public and private schools before we picked the magnet program that my daughter was in. From pre K to 3rd things changes pretty dramatically at that school, principal retired and a lot of the staff left shortly thereafter. The school was rated one of JCPS best elementary and top ten in the state, and I believe they still maybe.

Frankly the biggest difference we have found is in the culture of the schools. We volunteered for about three or so years at JCPS, despite being there weekly the only people who knew me, my wife, and daughter was her actual teacher and aide. The private school was the exact opposite, in no time (less than a month) every one who works there knew me, my wife and our daughter by name. Kids are way more respectful and very well behaved. This I believe has more to do with the parents than anything else. It turns out that professional people who are willing to pay for school for their kids are way more likely to be involved and present parents, and their kids tend to be better behaved and more education centered.  This change also motivated my daughter to work harder than before because now she couldn't goof off and be top of her class still.

Not a big fan of the religious content but it's better than the ghetto content of the last place.

It's a pain in the ass but visit the schools multiple times and sit in on an average school day and see what the environment is like. Do this later in the year rather than early, people are in their best behavior early in the year still. Good luck and we can talk off line if you like, just let me know.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you! Thats good experience for me to draw on.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Dont walk...but RUN from JCPS. If you can afford it, send your
kids to private school or move to Oldham Co and send your kids
there.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:15:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Homeschool.  Government schools are a nightmare and are only getting worse.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dont walk...but RUN from JCPS. If you can afford it, send your
kids to private school or move to Oldham Co and send your kids
there.

View Quote

JCPS is a toilet. Both my kids are in private schools- Portland Christian School.

Experience that led me to this impression: My wife teaches for JCPS. I have subbed for JCPS. I was very active with volunteering, Watch DAWG program, etc. While my wife, luckily is at one of the better elementary schools, she, too agrees, and is frustrated/angry/disturbed by school policies and practices. She would leave to teach at a private school, but financially, that just isn't possible for us.

If private school is no longer an option for us because we can't afford it anymore (and that may end up being the case for us soon) we will move out of Jefferson County; it's that messed up.

The kids are OUT OF CONTROL and the teachers/admin can't do crap about it. Admin will not back them up. They only teach for the end of the year test, and have to get every kid on the same level; including the kids who SPEAK ZERO ENGLISH. Yes- teachers are responsible for every kid, including non-english speaking kids, to hit a certain level on testing. Kids live an hour+ away from school and are bussed in,  so no parent-teacher involvement from those parents. Zero respect for authority from 5-6 kids in the class which ruins it for any kid trying to learn.
They were given mandates last year that if a minority student receives referrals (disciplinary action) above the number for non minority students, then the teacher has to receive counseling! The teacher needs to learn better ways to deal with the troublemaker, and stop disciplining them!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the continuing advice.

We're hitting a JCPS open meeting this week and also trying to budget or shortlist some private schools to visit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I would also like to compliment the posters here who volunteer to do extra things with their kids' schools. Thank you so much.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#11]
JCPS parents - What cluster are you in? We're in uhh #9 with Tully.

Part of the problem is that JCPS just has a shitload of schools. Some are awful, some are acceptable, and there are a few magnet programs that look good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top