Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2016 9:47:57 PM EDT
Hi,
I just moved back to middle TN and my parents have been wonderful in the move and allowing us (family of 5 and a 130 lb dog) to stay at their house as our house was finished being built. I'm wanting to get them a gift for their generosity. They love to visit wineries and I'm looking to find a nice bed and breakfast for them to spend a few nights at. They live in the Nashville area and their travel radius would be no more than 5 hours by car. They are already members at Arrington, so this would not be an option. I'm looking for recommendations on wineries. If there isn't a B&B onsite, that's ok if there are decent hotels nearby. Their anniversary is coming up 11/7 so I'm hoping to get something lined up in the next couple days. If you have any recommendations, I'm all ears. I'm going to post this in the NC, TN, KY, and AL hometown forums. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#1]
August, Ky.  On the Ohio River, south east of Northern KY.  Incredible little town.   Parkview Inn B&B.   Check them out online.   Several lodging options with them.   Even better if you stay during a local festival.   The winery is Baker-Bird Winery.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:14:48 AM EDT
[#2]
My favorite winery http://www.wildsidewinery.com/ does not have a bed and breakfast with it.  There are several a few miles away in Versailles though.  It gets them close to Lexington.  Lots of wineries in that area.

Elk Creek gets more attention by wine snobs than Wildside.  They do have lodging available. http://www.elkcreekvineyards.com/page-350851/Lodging.html  I'm not a fan of their wine and their "restaurant" is limited.

You didn't really say if they like visiting wineries to meet new people and try new things or they visit to find the perfectly aged Chardonnay...etc..  There is a huge difference.  Since I can't describe what a perfectly aged Chardonnay would look, smell, and taste like I'm in the non-snob category.  I like visiting wineries and usually I can find 1 or 2 that I might like.  A limited number of places I've found 3 to 4 that were on the like list.  With Wildside Winery, they make 18 wines now, I enjoy at least half of their wines.  The winery has also integrated bourbon barrels into the aging of some of their wines.  They have one called Black Barrel Reserve, it is Cabernet Sauvignon/ Chambourcin blend aged in Woodford Reserve Bourbon Barrels for over a year.  If trying new things is what they like then Wildside Winery is the place.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses so far. They aren't wine snobs at all. They're more about the scenery and experience and they just like getting away and seeing new places.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses so far. They aren't wine snobs at all. They're more about the scenery and experience and they just like getting away and seeing new places.
View Quote

Augusta
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure if you are aware of it but Kentucky has a Wine Trail in addition to the Bourbon Trail and the Brew Trail.

There website has an interactive map.  That should help with planning the trip and distances.  Nashville is about a 4 1/2 hour drive from the Lexington area.  

http://www.kentuckywine.com/interactive-map/

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Augusta
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Augusta

Are you talking about http://www.bakerbirdwinery.com/?

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Augusta

Yes Sir.   I don't know much about the winery other than it over looks Augusta.    August is an incredible weekend getaway for couples and small groups.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yes Sir.   I don't know much about the winery other than it over looks Augusta.    August is an incredible weekend getaway for couples and small groups.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Augusta

Never heard of the winery or Augusta before.  Guess I will have to check it out.  The wine list didn't really appeal to me but the winery view and town seem interesting.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Augusta is incredible.     If you can get lodging at the Parkview Inn during one festivals, it is perfect.    You can easily walk the entire town.   The locals are amazingly welcoming.  Walking the river at sunset is very romantic.   Tons of history, especially in the pre 1800 buildings.   I have stayed there countless times in the last 20 or so years.

When combined with several days of travel to the Newport aquarium and visiting Shakervillage,  it makes for an awesome week.

By the way, I rented the 1798 Riverhouse for this past weekend, during their fall festival, and was married there this past weekend.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Augusta is incredible.     If you can get lodging at the Parkview Inn during one festivals, it is perfect.    You can easily walk the entire town.   The locals are amazingly welcoming.  Walking the river at sunset is very romantic.   Tons of history, especially in the pre 1800 buildings.   I have stayed there countless times in the last 20 or so years.

When combined with several days of travel to the Newport aquarium and visiting Shakervillage,  it makes for an awesome week.

By the way, I rented the 1798 Riverhouse for this past weekend, during their fall festival, and was married there this past weekend.

View Quote

Congratulations.  It sounds great. I'm always a sucker for a river view.  

I recently purchased an old house, part of it was built in 1789.  I'm looking for ideas on how to set it up.  I will be planning at least a day trip to the area now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Lawrenceburg has a nice B&B and there are at least two wineries nearby.   Frankfort is 10-12 mins away, Lexington is 20-25 mins.    Lotsa culture and history around as well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone. Lots of choices to look through.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top