Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2016 4:57:53 PM EDT
I called it last February and Louisville ended 2015 with 84 murders despite a few saying that it was an aberration or suggesting that it was the warmer weather..  

This year we've already passed that in the first 8 months and now we're up to 86 in mid September "bringing the total for Jefferson County just 24 shy of its all-time record of 110 in 1971. If the current homicide rate for 2016 continues at the same pace throughout the rest of this year — .344 per day — the number would easily eclipse that high mark set 45 years ago, reaching 126."  And it doesn't seem like the news is covering the number of murders as much as they did last year.  I wonder if that's another one of that dirtbag Fischer's edicts to keep people from fleeing.

I think there's been as many, if not more, big drug busts this year and it seems like I'm seeing more reports of break-ins, thefts (including guns), and violent crime.  Now there is apparently a serial rapist around UofL campus.  Can't go to the grocery store without seeing junkies passed out in their cars or in whatever shade they can find or convulsing their way down the aisles.  

It's certainly no Chicago, but for what's typical in Louisville, it appears to be circling the drain.

We even got a shout-out from NYT Murder Rates Rose in a Quarter of the Nation’s 100 Largest Cities
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#1]
That is unfortunate. I for one, am glad I do not live very near Louisville. I live about an hours drive south of Lexington. Even in Lexington it seems lately, that murders and crime have risen. As Kentuckians, we have been pretty lucky insofar as the liberals for the most part, do not control the majority of the state. Clearly though, economic and racial issues are creeping into the state.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Normally I'm bothered by, but not worried about, the local murder rate. It's usually stupid people doing stupid things in stupid places. Gang bangers and other folks already up to no good. Thats not my world at all.

Recently though there have been a few home invasions and road ragers that victimized regular people. I watch the LMPD crime email that they send out every week and my local Kroger gets one or two robberies a month.

I need to get my shit together and get a camera system and a monitored security solution. I'm prepared for a gunfight but I'm not always home.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 12:41:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Recently though there have been a few home invasions and road ragers that victimized regular people. I watch the LMPD crime email that they send out every week and my local Kroger gets one or two robberies a month.
View Quote

Our "24 hour Kroger" is now closed 2200-0600 because of their shenanigans.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#4]
which Kroger
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
If we're not over 100, we're damn close.

Quoted:
which Kroger
View Quote

South Dixie.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If we're not over 100, we're damn close.

View Quote

I heard it was 94 on the radio the other day. I think there have been 3 more since then. There is no way they can keep from going over 100 in the next 60 days. Soon Louisville will be like Venezuela. This is the inevitable outcome of progressive, liberal government. Chaos, break down of the rule of law, bankruptcy, murder, disease, starvation. It is all headed our way. Good luck to all of us. Sooner or later they run out of other people's money. Looks like sooner this time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:14:33 AM EDT
[#7]
They're seeing this in all major cities across the nation.  Fergeson effect.  Cops don't want to end up on the evening news, departments are desperate for recruits, moral is down, etc.  When asked if all cops were racist, the Democratic nominee for president said "Well I think we're all a little biased" during one of the most watched presidential debates ever.  

I know the standard GD answer is "that's what those cops signed up for", yeah well good luck getting more qualified applicants in the future.  Anyone with any sense sees all this going on is gonna think twice before going down that career path.  

Criminals on the street see this and are emboldened by it.  Expect to see crime rate/murders/assaults get worse as we go along.  Carry everyday.  Hope you don't have to use it and get "Zimmermaned".
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:32:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Shooting incidents are NOT showing up on the news.    If no one is injured, the news is isn't reporting it

Friday night,  the 28th of October, around 8:15pm,  I was headed to the store.   I was headed south on Dixie near Bolling.   A car headed north fired a half dozen rounds toward the east side of the road.   It sounded like a cartridge of a service grade handgun.

Sunday night, the 30th of October, around 11:25pm, near 29th and Crop, some one  fired a half dozen rounds.   It sounded like a cartridge of a service grade handgun.

See if either of those show up on the news.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:37:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Shooting incidents are NOT showing up on the news.    If no one is injured, the news is isn't reporting it

Friday night,  the 28th of October, around 8:15pm,  I was headed to the store.   I was headed south on Dixie near Bolling.   A car headed north fired a half dozen rounds toward the east side of the road.   It sounded like a cartridge of a service grade handgun.

Sunday night, the 30th of October, around 11:25pm, near 29th and Crop, some one  fired a half dozen rounds.   It sounded like a cartridge of a service grade handgun.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Most of the murders are happening in the same area of town: the West end. In the same neighborhoods even! It's the mayor's problem, it's drugs, the children peddling them that he imported, and the blaming of good gun owners.

It's gotten so bad, that the Highlands are seeing a spike in crime. The rich folks there don't lock their car doors or home doors, and are shocked, shocked I tell you! that people would bus from the West end and rob them. I've also seen a lot more people wandering around the open roads high on spice. that used to be reserved to near the medical school (WLKY did a "report" on it a year ago and all the video footage was in the UofL hospital area). But now I am seeing people shoot up on the sidewalk of Bardstown road, panhandlers are being more numerous and way more aggressive. Crime around UofL has picked up, especially drug use. But the campus PD is trying hard to keep that down as we have visiting families/groups touring campus for their prospective learning experience.

And what does our mayor want to do? Spy on citizens with "gun shot detectors" for the West end to triangulate where shootings are happening. With an 8-12 minute response time for violent crimes, I doubt this system is going to do any good and all you have to do is see which council member has the connection to be profiting from.

Louisville has also seen an increase in vehicular deaths, especially with pedestrians. But nobody seems to care about people walking or biking being victims of careless drivers.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Most of the murders are happening in the same area of town: the West end. In the same neighborhoods even! It's the mayor's problem, it's drugs, the children peddling them that he imported, and the blaming of good gun owners.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bullshit.  The Metro crime mapping tool currently only shows records back through May 4 of this year because of the limits on it.  Of the 50 homicides in that time span, only 11 (22%) happened in "the west end" in an area bordered by the river on the north and west, Algonquin Pkwy on the south, and 15th on the east.

Part of the problem is exactly this.  People don't wake up and they continue on with this line about how the west end is terrible, that's where the all the crime and murders are, it's not in my backyard, etc.  39 of the 50 murders since May were elsewhere.  Nine of the murders were downtown bordered by the river/Oak/Shelby/5th st.  Eight were in the southern area bordered by 264/265/65/Dixie.  Another five between that area and the river.  What do we want to call the "nice part" for the "east end"?  East of 65 outside of downtown?  Seven murders.  Anything east of 65?  14 murders.

It has far, far less to do with the neighborhood than it does with the same low class, lowlife shitbirds doing shitbird things - and the shitbirds are infecting most corners of most towns.  It's a systemic issue that needs to be solved; not by patrolling a particular area better, but by having accountability for parents, accountability for schools and their performance, and individual accountability for the dirtbags themselves when they fuck up.  With people like Greg Fischer, John Yarmuth, et. al, that isn't going to happen.  

It's gotten so bad, that the Highlands are seeing a spike in crime. The rich folks there don't lock their car doors or home doors, and are shocked, shocked I tell you! that people would bus from the West end and rob them. I've also seen a lot more people wandering around the open roads high on spice. that used to be reserved to near the medical school (WLKY did a "report" on it a year ago and all the video footage was in the UofL hospital area). But now I am seeing people shoot up on the sidewalk of Bardstown road, panhandlers are being more numerous and way more aggressive. Crime around UofL has picked up, especially drug use. But the campus PD is trying hard to keep that down as we have visiting families/groups touring campus for their prospective learning experience.

Crime of all types is up everywhere, but it has been everywhere all along.  The junkies and other assorted scumbags are in your neighborhood, regardless of which neighborhood that may be.

And what does our mayor want to do? Spy on citizens with "gun shot detectors" for the West end to triangulate where shootings are happening. With an 8-12 minute response time for violent crimes, I doubt this system is going to do any good and all you have to do is see which council member has the connection to be profiting from.

Louisville has also seen an increase in vehicular deaths, especially with pedestrians. But nobody seems to care about people walking or biking being victims of careless drivers.

I was going to post about the "Shot Spotters" in reply to RacyCarr's post as well.  It would be great if all the gang bangers got rounded up and hauled off every time they have a drive by, shootout, or are illegally popping off shots in an alley because their judgment sucks for whatever reason.  On the other hand, I don't think that making a lot of noise about that will do anything but get more support for the shot spotters and all the waste and ill side effects that come along with them.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  The Metro crime mapping tool currently only shows records back through May 4 of this year because of the limits on it.  Of the 50 homicides in that time span, only 11 (22%) happened in "the west end" in an area bordered by the river on the north and west, Algonquin Pkwy on the south, and 15th on the east.

Part of the problem is exactly this.  People don't wake up and they continue on with this line about how the west end is terrible, that's where the all the crime and murders are, it's not in my backyard, etc.  39 of the 50 murders since May were elsewhere.  Nine of the murders were downtown bordered by the river/Oak/Shelby/5th st.  Eight were in the southern area bordered by 264/265/65/Dixie.  Another five between that area and the river.  What do we want to call the "nice part" for the "east end"?  East of 65 outside of downtown?  Seven murders.  Anything east of 65?  14 murders.

It has far, far less to do with the neighborhood than it does with the same low class, lowlife shitbirds doing shitbird things - and the shitbirds are infecting most corners of most towns.  It's a systemic issue that needs to be solved; not by patrolling a particular area better, but by having accountability for parents, accountability for schools and their performance, and individual accountability for the dirtbags themselves when they fuck up.  With people like Greg Fischer, John Yarmuth, et. al, that isn't going to happen.  

Crime of all types is up everywhere, but it has been everywhere all along.  The junkies and other assorted scumbags are in your neighborhood, regardless of which neighborhood that may be.

I was going to post about the "Shot Spotters" in reply to RacyCarr's post as well.  It would be great if all the gang bangers got rounded up and hauled off every time they have a drive by, shootout, or are illegally popping off shots in an alley because their judgment sucks for whatever reason.  On the other hand, I don't think that making a lot of noise about that will do anything but get more support for the shot spotters and all the waste and ill side effects that come along with them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WOW!  That is right on.    I started to reply.   But, I my head was not screwed on straight.   I know GB doesn't need me coming off like a jerk.   He is a good/sweet fellow.  

The troubling aspect is that these problems are city wide.    Cops can't just tighten up on the West end.

I do have a cute little house on a quiet block in the West end.    I do like it.     Still, things are extremely dangerous just a few blocks to the south or west.

However,  the area around my house in a very well to do rural neighborhood of Verona is now experiencing a surge in crime.

Crime is all over.   Yes, the West end can be bad.     Beecher Terrace,  one of the worst housing projects in the West end just recently saw its first homicide in a year or more.    

Here is a Louisville neighborhood in the top 15 most dangerous  in the nation and it is not the West end.

Things are not like they were before the days of obummer.    It is all up for grabs and unpredictable.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]
My apologies if I made an overly broad statement. I can't verify the homicide numbers your posting, as the Crime Map only goes back to may and shows 4 homicides. However, I did get this for assaults, homicides, and sex crimes.

[youtube]https://www.dropbox.com/s/xh96lbovezk98tg/Capture.JPG?dl=0[/youtube]

I personally consider anything west of 5th st the West end, but that's my view on the designation. The "East of 65" sounds good too though, 14 out of nearly 100.

Sentiments shared on the sh*tbirds. I think most people are good, and the neighborhoods that are "bad" have just gotten away from them, and it's a perpetual cycle. Good luck getting accountability. I hear more toddlers around UofL swearing harder stuff than many of my military friends. It's sad.

The junkies haven't reached White Blossom or Norton Commons yet. Though we did have that Asian guy living in White Blossom busted for making fake pharmaceutical drugs. See 2nd photo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ya1spgs05p4q2rp/Capture2.JPG?dl=0

The drastic difference in concentration of violence and drug/alcohol offenses is very clear.

I really didn't mean to come across as an ass. UofL's not even the "West end" and we've been seeing a lot more violence and drugs here, and ULPD and LMPD is saying the same thing: it's coming from West of 7th st.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]
The Downtown business district runs to at least 9th.

No one is saying that the West end doesn't have problems nor that it is a great place for kids.  

My point is twofold.    

The crime is moving around in the West end.    Maybe the city is playing "Wack a Mole" in the West end?

The crime has spread in a rampant manner throughout the city, especially in the last 3 years.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure which map you're looking at, but the LMPD one that I linked appears to shows 50 of this year's murders since May, not four.  14 of those 50 murders (not 14 of 100) are in the "nice part" of town, or nearly 30%.   So, I guess that's how to verify the numbers.

Including, or putting the city's largest tourist trap/entertainment district on the borderline of "bad part" of town is an interesting way to cook the numbers. It's a big shock that the live music/bar/club scene areas of town see more drug and alcohol infractions and the associated assaults and rowdiness that comes with it.  

It's also a big shock that the LMPD says the problem is on the west end instead of downtown or throughout the rest of town, considering what has come out about Fischer calling to suppress crime info in the higher revenue generating areas of town (business areas, entertainment areas, tourist areas).  Almost as shocking as UofL not advertising that they have crime on and around campus in their enrollment literature.

The fact that "the rich folks" don't see the junkies (yes, they are there) around them is only indicative of what I described above. More patrols in one area does nothing but shine the light on the roaches and make them scurry off to the darker areas where there are fewer patrols and does nothing to solve the problem.

...or we can do an ostrich impression and pretend like it's just hoodrats being hoodrats west of 5th and that's why we're set to see the most murders in city history.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#16]
In the past 160 days there have only been 43 homicides. 5 are East of I-264. Most are bound by (or a few streets east of) I-65 and North of I-264.
http://www.crimemapping.com/Share/991b18381a79407d826c86cb426e21e4

Your link only goes to the LMPD website that takes you to the CrimeMap and then you need to apply the filters.

Assaults and Robberies for the past 4 weeks (too many to map beyond that window): http://www.crimemapping.com/Share/dfd70e544d054949a2a098537a27e02c

Drugs and Alcohol: http://www.crimemapping.com/Share/f7782e535a8e4dfe8f339248e336a716

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#17]
All of you Louisville arfcommers should move to Germantown/Schnitzelburg.

Six or eight more of us near me and we can make this a virtual crime free zone.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sturmgewehr-JD, are you a JD?

I used to be in the Butchertown area just a mile or two away. I was one of 5 gun owners in my block. I found casings outside a few people's driveways, targets from range outings in recycling bins, 2A stickers on a few cars/windows. 0 violent crime, a couple of drunks damaging cars from the bar down the street, sure. But no drugs or violence according to the crime map.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I used to be in the Butchertown area just a mile or two away. I was one of 5 gun owners in my block. I found casings outside a few people's driveways, targets from range outings in recycling bins, 2A stickers on a few cars/windows. 0 violent crime, a couple of drunks damaging cars from the bar down the street, sure. But no drugs or violence according to the crime map.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First name Jason. Middle initial D.

Never lived in butchertown but, between me and the ex Army Ranger two houses down, this is a mighty quiet block...
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In the past 160 days there have only been 43 homicides. 5 are East of I-264. Most are bound by (or a few streets east of) I-65 and North of I-264.
http://www.crimemapping.com/Share/991b18381a79407d826c86cb426e21e4

Your link only goes to the LMPD website that takes you to the CrimeMap and then you need to apply the filters.

Assaults and Robberies for the past 4 weeks (too many to map beyond that window): http://www.crimemapping.com/Share/dfd70e544d054949a2a098537a27e02c

Drugs and Alcohol: http://www.crimemapping.com/Share/f7782e535a8e4dfe8f339248e336a716

View Quote

East of I-264?    
North of I-264?

I can't follow that.    How about inside or outside of I-264 and I-265?   They are both semi circles.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Never lived in butchertown but, between me and the ex Army Ranger two houses down, this is a mighty quiet block...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like my block in the West end.  4 combat vets.  2 of us, high-speed/low-drag.     Very quiet.  This evening, a guy was killed 2-4 blocks south and around 2-3 blocks east.   Quiet.   Families out with kids all around here.    A man shot and killed.  Lovely.    

Here is a map showing where the October 31 2016 Halloween shooting on 28th and Market Street occurred.  (Note the circled red dot that looks like an EOTech reticle.)

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#22]
 It was nice out last night.    It was quiet.    Families were out with their kids.    It looked like America.

THEN, blocks away…

8pm
http://www.wave3.com/story/33539416/1-shot-in-portland-neighborhood

Midnight
http://www.wave3.com/story/33542440/fatal-shooting-reported-in-russell-neighborhood

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
 It was nice out last night.    It was quiet.    Families were out with their kids.    It looked like America.

THEN, blocks away…

8pm

Midnight
http://www.wave3.com/story/33542440/fatal-shooting-reported-in-russell-neighborhood

View Quote

Where America meets the Mog...
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THEN, blocks away…

8pm

Midnight

Right or wrong, your phrase is exactly what runs through my head at times.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Great

I'm in Louisville once a month and will have to be there for a couple days this coming Thursday (Kosairs area)

Anyone against carrying a firearm has obviously never *walked alone*  in a parking garage @ midnight in Louisville

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
[Shooting incidents are NOT showing up on the news.    If no one is injured, the news is isn't reporting it

View Quote

Must be a thing now across America now not reporting crime or at least under reporting it (for reasons that are obvious)

I know a cop in a large city in Ohio and he says the same.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Must be a thing now across America now not reporting crime or at least under reporting it (for reasons that are obvious)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[Shooting incidents are NOT showing up on the news.    If no one is injured, the news is isn't reporting it

Why bother? By the time the police get there, the perps will be long gone into their rat holes . It would be different if someone's life or well being was at risk. Even then, it probably wouldn't do any good. All the cops can do is put up yellow tape and draw chalk outlines around the bodies.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why bother? By the time the police get there, the perps will be long gone into their rat holes . It would be different if someone's life or well being was at risk. Even then, it probably wouldn't do any good. All the cops can do is put up yellow tape and draw chalk outlines around the bodies.[/span][/span]
View Quote

And according to the photos, stand around leaning against stuff looking busy or in solidarity of the dozens of other officers there, or something.

But in all seriousness overlay the crime map with the demographics map. You'll see it.

Louisville/Lex have the same problem: bad leadership letting drugs and gangs infest the city and make it inhospitable to decent folks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why bother? By the time the police get there, the perps will be long gone into their rat holes . It would be different if someone's life or well being was at risk. Even then, it probably wouldn't do any good. All the cops can do is put up yellow tape and draw chalk outlines around the bodies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do think it would be valuable to report and track non-injurious shootings.    I strongly suspect such shootings are rampant.    I think having access to such real data would be valuable to the citizens of the cities.   At this point, it is little more than rumor, which is of no value.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And according to the photos, stand around leaning against stuff looking busy or in solidarity of the dozens of other officers there, or something.

But in all seriousness overlay the crime map with the demographics map. You'll see it.

Louisville/Lex have the same problem: bad leadership letting drugs and gangs infest the city and make it inhospitable to decent folks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why bother? By the time the police get there, the perps will be long gone into their rat holes . It would be different if someone's life or well being was at risk. Even then, it probably wouldn't do any good. All the cops can do is put up yellow tape and draw chalk outlines around the bodies.[/span][/span]

Winner!
Winner!
Chicken Dinner!
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm talking about the media and officials *in collusion*  not reporting crime, not individuals

The reasons for that are obvious... to keep the public uninformed and oblivious to how dangerous your crime ridden cities have become

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm talking about the media and officials *in collusion*  not reporting crime, not individuals

The reasons for that are obvious... to keep the public uninformed and oblivious to how dangerous your crime ridden cities have become

View Quote

Not long ago, after a couple sporty incidents, there was some buzz about a directive straight from the mayor to under report crime, to include calling assaults "mutual combat" regardless of the truthfulness of that categorization, particularly in areas frequented by businessmen, families, and tourists.  Murders don't rate more than a second or two on the news now and lesser violent crimes don't seem to make the news much at all, let alone property crimes.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Less than a dozen more and 2016 will get to put its initials at the top of the screen.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#34]
104 in Metro jurisdiction, 110 in Jefferson County.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#35]
http://www.wlky.com/article/breaking-report-of-multiple-people-shot-shawnee-park/8363470

2 dead, 4 injured in Shawnee Park shooting

Report of multiple people shot Shawnee Park

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
http://www.wlky.com/article/breaking-report-of-multiple-people-shot-shawnee-park/8363470

2 dead, 4 injured in Shawnee Park shooting

Report of multiple people shot Shawnee Park

View Quote

Ayup. We're talking about it in General Discussion
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#38]
#110 - In Beecher Terrace.

Most. Murders. Ever.

And a month to go.  A Friday night on the day after check-day?  I bet they rack up a few more.

Especially when they start feeling the pinch from the $11M heroin haul out west drying up supply.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#39]
And more last night. Dumped at the hospital. No matter how they try to cook the books with LMPD vs Jefferson County jurisdiction semantics, the city/county is crushing the record.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/33862249/louisville-metro-police-investigating-fatal-saturday-night-shooting
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Tack on another one this afternoon in Smoketown.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not long ago, after a couple sporty incidents, there was some buzz about a directive straight from the mayor to under report crime, to include calling assaults "mutual combat" regardless of the truthfulness of that categorization, particularly in areas frequented by businessmen, families, and tourists.  Murders don't rate more than a second or two on the news now and lesser violent crimes don't seem to make the news much at all, let alone property crimes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this has been going on for at least 20 years. It started under Abramson. It was an effort to reduce reported crime when the FBI started to make noise about the crime rates in Louisville and other cities... A couple of the District Commanders didn't play ball and faced consequences.
Example: A burglary report taken by the beat guy got 'amended' when it hit the Dick's office to a Criminal Mischief (damage to the kicked-in door) and a TBUT (Theft By Unlawful taking). These 'lesser' crimes didn't get tracked by the Feds. Unsolvable street robberies were deemed as falsely reported by the victims. This began the era of 'Crime-Stat' where Officers were directed to lock up everybody for everything. Trespassing got you locked up, speeding in a hoopty in the West End? Reckless Driving- a misdemeanor, and an arrest able offense. POM/PDP (possession of Marijuana/drug paraphernalia) i.e., got a blunt wrapper in your pocket? You got locked up. AI/DC (Alcohol Intoxication and Disorderly Conduct) were staples for the beat guy to make the numbers. The District Commanders then were able to 'offset' their rising crime numbers by equally or greater arrest numbers. It didn't matter that the arrests were chicken-$hit, they were a 'Stat'.
Officers that didn't turn in enough paper were 'counseled' and if that didn't work, were threatened with being moved off their beat, cars taken away or moved to late-watch. It was ugly all around. As you can imagine, resisting arrest charges with the ensuing injuries to officers and damage to uniforms and equipment were out of control.

The names of the programs change every few years, but the game is the same. If the residents of Louisville had ANY idea of the actual amount of crime in Jefferson County, there would be OUTRAGE.
Now, Officers are wearing body-cams and the commanding officers use that as leverage. Retaliation for 'rudeness', 'conduct unbecoming', etc has made even the most committed officer to do nothing but answer the radio and make their runs. NO ONE is jumping out on the corners jacking up the thugs. They are not scared of the police anymore. AT ALL.
No one is keeping the wolves at bay. Peace walks have become the 'weapon of choice' now, and the cancer is going to spread like wildfire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top