Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2016 8:58:50 AM EDT
I have seen on TV news and heard on local news a new state law is proposed for consideration next session.    This new law would promote violence such as home invasions and rapes by disarming people in a residence.   All firearms would have to be locked up and/or have trigger locks installed.

I can't find the stories online though.   Anyone have a link to this communistic BS?

No  new additional law is needed.    This is solely to disarm people in their homes.

Children are already "protected".
KRS 507.030 and 507.040 first and second degree manslaughter.
KRS 507.050 reckless homicide

Lawmaker wants to promote crime  

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you say where you saw it? What network or station? Which talking head was yakking about it?

I searched Google News for: proposed kentucky law gun

I got this hit from Sept 8th 2016: http://www.wdrb.com/story/33051571/mayor-greg-fischer-backs-giving-ky-cities-the-power-to-pass-gun-laws

And this one, also from the 8th: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2016/09/08/gun-toll-rises-city-vips-raise-money-nra/90004858/

Someone is pushing for an end to pre-emption. Write your city reps and your state reps!
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you say where you saw it? What network or station? Which talking head was yakking about it?

I searched Google News for: proposed kentucky law gun

I got this hit from Sept 8th 2016: http://www.wdrb.com/story/33051571/mayor-greg-fischer-backs-giving-ky-cities-the-power-to-pass-gun-laws

And this one, also from the 8th: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2016/09/08/gun-toll-rises-city-vips-raise-money-nra/90004858/

Someone is pushing for an end to pre-emption. Write your city reps and your state reps!
View Quote

Added link in OP.

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Safe storage is a good idea but should not be mandated by law.

Further this bill says "trigger lock". I want to argue with that because a locking box or safe is just fine and keeps my kids out. However this is *NOT* a good strategy to defeat the bill. Because then you get people saying "gun owners agree and are just quibbling over the definition of 'locked'".

I think a better strategy is to point out what NSSF, Eddie Eagle, local police, the boys from Duck Commander, CCDW instructors, etc. are doing on their own without the need for yet another law. Securely storing your stuff is a really smart idea - help those organizations promote it because its a good idea rather than ramming it down our throats as yet another law.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I see it exactly as the thread title says.     That is the only reason for it.    

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let me know how that is received when you talk to your legislators or land an interview. You're not wrong, but you gotta work your message to the regular voter and the average legislator.

I'm thinking of these talking points:

• safe storage makes firearms in the home inacessible, violent crime happens fast, safe storage disarms victims

• certain methods of safe storage are actually more dangerous than simply keeping a firearm holstered or racked. Accidents occur during administrative handling of firearms

• SCOUTS decisions reinforced the rights already protected by the 2A to keep a gun in the home for any reason, safe storage may be unconstitutional as it infringes on the homeowners right to keep a gun as they see fit

• accidents by minors are preventable programs like Eddie Eagle from the NRA and similar offerings from NSSF and other industry groups work to educate safety conscious children. By educating the children with programs like these we protect against a range of situations where a child could encounter a gun ranging from grandpas shotgun in a cabin to a stolen firearm dumped in a vacant lot

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Let me know how that is received when you talk to your legislators or land an interview. You're not wrong, but you gotta work your message to the regular voter and the average legislator.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will never know as none would ever speak the direct truth.

I get your point.   You are right, in most people's eyes.   I won't say you are wrong.   However, I am an old man.   I have lived my life.   I am toward the end of my life expectancy.   While I am still somewhat moderately polite and generally follow the law, I have a need to be direct.    It is how I cope.   I will share with my legislators that which I have posted.   I can't do it your way, though it is probably the best way.    Each day I live reduces my BS tolerance.   I won't ask people to like me or what I say.    I have to respect myself and speak what I see as the truth.  That is all I have left in me.  

"Regular" and "Average" do exist.     Yet, they are not concepts of which I am generally fond.

IF you don't remember me, look up "curmudgeon"  online.   My photo is posted from the dictionary.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

IF you don't remember me, look up "curmudgeon"  online.   My photo is posted from the dictionary.

View Quote

LOL fair enough.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, there is another reason for it. Gerald Neal knows even better than I do that this bill is not going to pass the Senate and will never make it to the House. I doubt it will ever be given a committee hearing. Senator Neal knows that his constituents will love him for this and it will make it easier for him to get reelected. When it doesn't pass, he can just point to his bill and say, "See, I tried to keep your children from being killed here in the west end, but the crackers in the Senate wouldn't let me do it. Reelect me and I will keep trying to save your children's lives". This is just pandering for political power. It was never intended for it to pass. I am sure you will see Sen. Neal on TV and in the Courier-Journal pontificating about his bill for the next 6 months. Reggie Thomas, of Lexington, has had a bill in the Senate to rewrite the laws on 'justification" for the last 3 years. That bill has never seen a committee hearing, but he keeps bringing it back, for the same reasons. I feel certain it will be back again, in 2017. Sen. Thomas' constituents have been convinced the bill will solve all of their problems, and they love him for it. In fact, just like Neal's bill, it has zero chance of passing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Evil (state politicians) placating evil (mindless, destructive zombies).

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Evil (state politicians) placating evil (mindless, destructive zombies).

View Quote

And exploiting their mindlessness, to accomplish it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In fact, just like Neal's bill, it has zero chance of passing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In fact, just like Neal's bill, it has zero chance of passing.

This is good to read.   I just moved to KY...supposedly more 'gun friendly' than where I came from.   It would suck if suddenly 'things got worse' where I just moved to.    Yes, I had the choice on where to move to.... and I picked KY.  :-)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top