Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2016 9:37:10 AM EDT
Title says it. Taking a KY friend shooting this weekend and need to find a place to go. Outdoor is preferred. Non membership obviously. Needs to be friendly to non-Fudds. :)

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Yahoo or Google search for Curtis Gates Lloyd Wildlife Management Area Shooting Range  .

Right at half way.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. That looks like exactly what I need.

Information is pretty sparse on the web. Do I need a permit? (OH state ranges do...) OK for non-KY residents?

EDIT: Guess I can call the 800 number...oops.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#3]
You just show up at the ranges.  They are all un-managed as far as I know.  There is also a range at Kleber WMA.  It is closer to Lex than Cinci though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks swire.

Called the KY FW info line and was directed to call the range office at Curtis Gates Lloyd and ask how to get in. They won't return my call. The PDFs on both areas seem to imply single-shot rifles only are allowed?? Do those even exist anymore?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I found an old thread from 2006 on it.  It says:

It's open to the public.

Open 7 days a week.

Shooting starts at 0900 and goes till dusk.

It's unsupervised.

Clean up after yourself and share the shooting space.

100 Yards long.

I only go there to test stuff because you can only shoot sitting down and thru the tubes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#6]
It sounds like this range or at least part of the range is managed.  They have a Facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lloyd-Wildlife-Management-Area-Shooting-Range/211509112203194
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yahoo or Google search for Curtis Gates Lloyd Wildlife Management Area Shooting Range
View Quote

That place absolutely blows but its the only place that meets the OP's requirements. Better get there early or be prepared to wait a while for a bench to open up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That place absolutely blows but its the only place that meets the OP's requirements. Better get there early or be prepared to wait a while for a bench to open up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yahoo or Google search for Curtis Gates Lloyd Wildlife Management Area Shooting Range

What other options are there if I'm more flexible? Indoor is fine, it just costs a ton. This is my friends first time shooting...I want it to be good. We'll be doing rifles for sure.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:42:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What other options are there if I'm more flexible? Indoor is fine, it just costs a ton. This is my friends first time shooting...I want it to be good. We'll be doing rifles for sure.
View Quote

If you're willing to drive south of Lexington there's the Sugar Creek Range
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#10]
"Point Blank" in Florence is very nice and, I my opinion, reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately the only ranges in the NKY area that are open to the public are all indoor ranges (other then Lloyds). Point Blank in Florence is your best bet. There is also Shooters Supply in Independence.

I guess it depends on your budget, time and what you want to shoot? Lloyds is free and is a 100yrd range so if you have more time than money and are only going to shoot rifles, Lloyds may be the better choice but if you are OK with a 25yd indoor range and/or are wanting to shoot handguns too, I would go to Point Blank.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What other options are there if I'm more flexible?
View Quote

Kleber WMA.  It is unmanaged.  There are only four lanes but I've never had much of a wait to use it.  Most the time no one is there.  You have to shoot through tubes but it still works.  The URL will take you to where it is on Google Maps.  

https://goo.gl/maps/JxczLquYbSK2

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Kleber WMA.  It is unmanaged.  There are only four lanes but I've never had much of a wait to use it.  Most the time no one is there.  You have to shoot through tubes but it still works.  The URL will take you to where it is on Google Maps.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK great. I saw that one...a bit out of the way for me, but could work. It was my understanding that the Lloyd WMA was unmanaged as well?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

OK great. I saw that one...a bit out of the way for me, but could work. It was my understanding that the Lloyd WMA was unmanaged as well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lloyd's is unmanaged as well. I've only been to Lloyds but from what I've read, there is very little difference between any of the WMA locations. Only reason why the Kieber WMA might be better is if it's less crowded on the weekends?

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, makes sense. Sounds like the state ODNR ranges here in Ohio.

I think we'll plan to be at Lloyds early and then go for Point Blank as a backup plan if Lloyds is mobbed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kleber is out of the way, middle of nowhere.  That's good because it isn't crowded but takes forever to get there on the narrow curvy back roads.

I couldn't figure out what was going on a Lloyd.  Their Facebook reads as if some of the ranges are managed.  I believe there is some confusion on how they worded things as well.  It says something about "single projectile" but I believe that applies to the round and only for the rifle range, not shotshells or handguns on the rifle range.

I would call the general Fish and Wildlife number and see if anyone there can give you information on it.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Kleber is out of the way, middle of nowhere.  That's good because it isn't crowded but takes forever to get there on the narrow curvy back roads.

I couldn't figure out what was going on a Lloyd.  Their Facebook reads as if some of the ranges are managed.  I believe there is some confusion on how they worded things as well.  It says something about "single projectile" but I believe that applies to the round and only for the rifle range, not shotshells or handguns on the rifle range.

I would call the general Fish and Wildlife number and see if anyone there can give you information on it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the general number couldn't help and directed me to the regional office or something. Repeated calls and voicemails...can't get anything back.

I'll take the chance and see...
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are a number of different ranges at Lloyds. A Trap range that is members only. A skeet range that is open to the public but is managed and IIRC, is only open on Sundays. I think there is another pistol/rifle range that is members only/managed(?) but the range we are talking about for you is the 4 bench 100 yrd rifle range and that is not managed and open to the public 7 days a week.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:05:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Around 30 years ago or so, I used to shoot the pistol silhouette targets there.   I think it was over by the barn.   I would sometimes run my Dan Wesson 744 comped 8" 44 mag.   The cops were always jizzing over how fast, accurate, and powerful that thing could run.   Departments were all a mess for a while trying to transition from S&W 357 magnums like the 686 to various autos such as the 10mm and 45ACP S&Ws, along with 9s in there, before settling on the Glocks most use today.      While I can shoot dang near anything, I found that certainly is not true for everyone.   Yet, Glocks do seem to be a gun that most people can shoot at least reasonably well.

Oh, the 80's, hot women, and so much change in the gun industry.   Those were the days.

The gun in question is the one in the top right of my (mostly) non-tacti-cool safe.    Please don't rag on me.   That is not a dent in my stash of stuff.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top