Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2016 10:34:24 AM EDT
I call shenanigans...  

Charged with "convicted felon in possession of a handgun", no mention of NFA or MG. Someone called out WAVE3 on Facebook and they said "The gun is referenced in the article exactly how it was listed in the arrest report. While the M11 does in fact have a semi-automatic version, we trust that the arresting officers know which one this was. Thanks for your feedback."

http://www.wave3.com/story/32479203/convicted-felon-found-with-sub-compact-machine-pistol

The detectives were part of a violent crimes unit and were on patrol in the Chickasaw neighborhood just after midnight July 19. As they turned into the alley behind a liquor store at Cecil and Greenwood Avenues, they saw Brandon Towns, 24, of Louisville, turn away from them when he saw their vehicle.

Detectives said Towns walked down the alley a bit before reaching out and leaning toward a fence. After he was stopped for questioning, detectives found a M-11 sub-compact machine pistol on the ground near the spot where he had been standing. Detectives said Towns pitched the weapon.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow.

I want to watch this case and see if the local federal prosecutor actually pushes for a tough sentence for federal crimes. From the DoJ: https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/usao-ut/legacy/2013/06/03/guncard.pdf . He should be looking at 5-10 years for at least 2 charges.

I am honestly not sure if I want to see the feds enforcing laws on the books. IMO the prohibitions on NFA items shouldn't exist and if you do a crime and get out of jail you get your rights back. On the otherhand if it keeps a scumbag locked up where he can't shit on my city anymore thats a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd bet more likely on an MPA or an old cobray semi auto, not the real deal.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wow.

I want to watch this case and see if the local federal prosecutor actually pushes for a tough sentence for federal crimes. From the DoJ: https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/usao-ut/legacy/2013/06/03/guncard.pdf . He should be looking at 5-10 years for at least 2 charges.

I am honestly not sure if I want to see the feds enforcing laws on the books. IMO the prohibitions on NFA items shouldn't exist and if you do a crime and get out of jail you get your rights back. On the otherhand if it keeps a scumbag locked up where he can't shit on my city anymore thats a good thing.
View Quote
If their recent track record of not giving two flying fucks about firearms violations on the part of criminals (instead choosing to prosecute only the law-abiding), the feds aren't going to do anything.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably a semi. But that never stopped the liberal media or ignorant
cops from juicing up the story.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Probably a semi. But that never stopped the liberal media or ignorant
cops from juicing up the story.
View Quote

They would never do such a thing.  

It's almost as if the groundwork is being laid to make a big push against NFA "weapons of war".  

"We recently tightened up restrictions on NFA, but we need to go further."
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#6]
The Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect is in play here, dang it!

So how the heck do I follow the status of a case? This is all public record, do I have to go down the to the courthouse and request info or what?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#7]
They do make semi-auto clones. Ive come across them a few times back in the day when the full auto transferables were closer in price and would get excited thinking it was a underpriced MG only to learn it was a over priced semi
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I call shenanigans...  

Charged with "convicted felon in possession of a handgun", no mention of NFA or MG. Someone called out WAVE3 on Facebook and they said "The gun is referenced in the article exactly how it was listed in the arrest report. While the M11 does in fact have a semi-automatic version, we trust that the arresting officers know which one this was. Thanks for your feedback."

http://www.wave3.com/story/32479203/convicted-felon-found-with-sub-compact-machine-pistol

The detectives were part of a violent crimes unit and were on patrol in the Chickasaw neighborhood just after midnight July 19. As they turned into the alley behind a liquor store at Cecil and Greenwood Avenues, they saw Brandon Towns, 24, of Louisville, turn away from them when he saw their vehicle.

Detectives said Towns walked down the alley a bit before reaching out and leaning toward a fence. After he was stopped for questioning, detectives found a M-11 sub-compact machine pistol on the ground near the spot where he had been standing. Detectives said Towns pitched the weapon.

http://wave.images.worldnow.com/images/11018891_G.jpg
View Quote

Well, WAVE 3 may "trust" LMPD to know what firearm they are looking at, but my experience with the police is much different. Have you ever seen a young police officer try to figure out how to decock and unload a 1911.  I have. I thought he might kill both of us!  Here is a highly trained and very knowledgable Los Angeles PD Asst. Chief of Police and a LAPD Detective displaying their "knowledge" of firearms and their ability to know "which one" they are looking at. This information came from the Los Angeles Daily News newspaper, in 2009:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71293583/Thompson%20submachine%20gun%20amo..%20(2).pdf

Can anybody identiy what gun this is? And a better question is, can anyone say what gun this is NOT? The last question is would you even attempt to say what it is unless you were 100% certain, because saying something very stupid would make you look very stupid and you didn't want to embarrass yourself and your dept. by looking very stupid.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#9]
How could this possibly happen? Felons in possession of firearms is illegal.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, WAVE 3 may "trust" LMPD to know what firearm they are looking at, but my experience with the police is much different. Have you ever seen a young police officer try to figure out how to decock and unload a 1911.  I have. I thought he might kill both of us!  Here is a highly trained and very knowledgable Los Angeles PD Asst. Chief of Police and a LAPD Detective displaying their "knowledge" of firearms and their ability to know "which one" they are looking at. This information came from the Los Angeles Daily News newspaper, in 2009:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71293583/Thompson%20submachine%20gun%20amo..%20(2).pdf

Can anybody identiy what gun this is? And a better question is, can anyone say what gun this is NOT? The last question is would you even attempt to say what it is unless you were 100% certain, because saying something very stupid would make you look very stupid and you didn't want to embarrass yourself and your dept. by looking very stupid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I call shenanigans...  

http://wave.images.worldnow.com/images/11018891_G.jpg

Once watched a Phoenix officer drop the loaded mag of an AR onto the hood of a friend's car trying to show off his "knowledge".. His supervising officer told him to hand it back to my friend before he hurt himself.

Also had friends who worked at the MCSO range.  There were a shocking number of bullet-holes through the overhead shades.

ETA- That's sure NOT a Thompson, that's for damned sure.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

SMH.  I don't understand how these people can get things so wrong.  It's stamped right on the side of the damned thing.  It takes some grade-A ignorance to confuse a .45ACP SMG with a shotgun!  I presume that the "M11" is one of Masterpiece Arms' semi auto clones that are available at most shops.

I'd say with reasonable certainty that it's one of these bad boys.

But, if I were that guy I could take the extra 3 seconds to look at the receiver markings to be sure.  

I was going to say something similar but didn't want to come across as rude toward our fine LEOs or the news media who passed the firearm-ID buck to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top