Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/10/2016 9:57:45 AM EDT
I'm going to drag the wife and son to the convention on Saturday the 20th.

I'm curious on what to expect?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Some info has been posted here.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

The convention is BIG. It is hard to see everything on the show floor in a day.

Bring a backpack. There are lots of handouts and goodies and you want a place to carry your swag. Toss some water and snacks or lunch in there too, the food can be kind of expensive.

If you have any money set aside for gun stuff, consider bringing it. A lot of the vendors have deals going.

You get to talk to a lot of sales guys but there are also engineers, presidents, owners, and designers at the booths. You'll see a range of corporate conglomerates to real mom and pop shops.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bring a backpack. There are lots of handouts and goodies and you want a place to carry your swag. Toss some water and snacks or lunch in there too, the food can be kind of expensive.

If you have any money set aside for gun stuff, consider bringing it. A lot of the vendors have deals going.

You get to talk to a lot of sales guys but there are also engineers, presidents, owners, and designers at the booths. You'll see a range of corporate conglomerates to real mom and pop shops.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He pretty much sums it up (been to Indy and Nashville myself).

Looking at the map prior to going helps as most things are spread about.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking. I was chatting with Racy on the luncheon. I may have an idea. The wife and I were planning on being at the NRA convention at around 10am, and around 4pm leave to go eat at a restraunt not yet decided in Indiana. From there we planned on parking in Indiana and walking the big four bridge down to the great lawn to see the free concert put on by the NRA. Thinking if anyone else would like to make this a group thing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was thinking. I was chatting with Racy on the luncheon. I may have an idea. The wife and I were planning on being at the NRA convention at around 10am, and around 4pm leave to go eat at a restraunt not yet decided in Indiana. From there we planned on parking in Indiana and walking the big four bridge down to the great lawn to see the free concert put on by the NRA. Thinking if anyone else would like to make this a group thing.
View Quote

I didn't know the NRA was doing a riverfront concert. Could be good outreach and a fun event!

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I didn't know the NRA was doing a riverfront concert. Could be good outreach and a fun event!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like fun, but that would be a long walk for me. The "NRA Country Jam"  is to be held at the Belvedere. Both the Belvedere and the Big 4 bridge are part of the Waterfront complex, but are too far apart for me to walk. I intend to be at the Belvedere for that event, but I'll just try to find parking a little closer. I'd love to meet up with anyone from this board at anytime during the Annual Meeting. I intend to be there every day and will be attending most of the "extra" events, except for the $500/plate dinner and auction. Here is a link to all of the events:  https://www.nraam.org/events/
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll,be there.
View Quote

I'm more excited about maybe bumping into Nolo than I am about the "big" celebrities. What do you look like? Will you sign my man boobs?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#11]
https://daddybearsden.com/2016/05/16/nraam-info-post/ - Restaurant and KY/IN carry links from a local blogger I follow.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone know if you have to have a press pass or something to bring
a camera?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
a camera?
View Quote

No, cameras are good to go.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
a camera?

Thanks for the info.  I think I'll pop in on Friday.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

..I think Saturday is usually the busiest, ..so just be prepared for that, ...a lot to see and do, the annual meeting of the members is Saturday morning, ...also, you can check out the various seminars and celebrity appearances at various booths in the exhibit hall, ..the exhibits are huge, lots of cool stuff to check out!
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

..I think Saturday is usually the busiest, ..so just be prepared for that, ...a lot to see and do, the annual meeting of the members is Saturday morning, ...also, you can check out the various seminars and celebrity appearances at various booths in the exhibit hall, ..the exhibits are huge, lots of cool stuff to check out!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saturday is the busiest. Almost to the point of anger.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife and I will have a camera there. We'll post pics on here after the convention. I plan on being at the magpul booth Friday at 11am and on Saturday at 3pm. Try to get pictures of fellow arfcommers doing arfcom things.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm coming down tomorrow. Staying in Shepherdsville. Will be there all 3 days.

If it's like 08, I'll never get to see all that I want to see. It's a big place.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll be coming down tomorrow as well. Anyone know of a gym near downtown that will do a 1 day pass? Got to work off all that good food and bourbon somehow.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Just go to the west end. You'll get a run in
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:05:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Might as well just do it at the same time as the bourbon.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The west end is the "bad" part of town FYI. If you get lost and the streets are numbers above say 8th street (say 23rd street for example) you're in a bad neighborhood. Head towards 1st and keep going.

You may want to check out the "Big 4 walking bridge" BTW.  Super-cool date location. Generally safe in the early evening.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Traffic getting in there right now is an absolute disaster.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Concert just ended.   Political speakers should be coming out soon.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yea, 264 was a shitshow when I left work
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Always wanted to go.  Just found out my BiL won 6 S&Ws.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#28]
glad I got there early. Even then it took a while to get in the parking lot. But when I left around 1:30 traffic in the ring around the event center was pretty much a stand still and tons more traffic stacked up out on the surface streets trying to get in.

On  good not, the outbound traffic was a breeze. I got out quick and easy. Right up on the highway and gone. It was raining pretty good, but better than being stuck in stand still traffic. They even had a police helicopter hovering over the traffic I guess trying to give a birds eye view of the mess to help coordinate traffic direction on the ground. I thought maybe there had been an accident but I didn't see any on the way out, just thousands of cars trying to get in.

And this was on the Friday that is generally considered the lowest turn out day. Tomorrow should be a real treat. Get there before opening time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tell me.......Took 1 hour from where I got in line on the shoulder of I65 until I got parked.

And tomorrow will be the busiest day as far as attendance goes. Just can't wait to do it all over again..
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Apparently no one looked at a map of the area around the fairgrounds.  There were secondary entrances that were empty while the line for the main gate was back to Poplar Level on 264.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I forget, does it cost money to get into the convention?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I forget, does it cost money to get into the convention?
View Quote

$8.00 to park.

But you must be a NRA member to get into the Exhibits. If you are not a member, you can join up there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#33]
In all fairness, it was all to be expected given the Leadership Conference was scheduled to start at 12:30pm preceded by the concert at 11:30am.   Considering this was with Trump, senators, governors, and more involed along with  the Secret Service, it went extremely well.  With just a little planing, it was not difficult to manage.  

I had no issues getting into the area, parking, getting around the exposition, going over to Freedom Hall,  going through security, getting around again,  leaving, getting out, going out to eat, and heading to the local house.

It was an amazing show.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I got off of I-64 and onto the Watterson Expressway at 8:30 and traffic was backed up to past Newberg Rd. All standing still. I wanted to try the entrance on Preston St. but could not get over to make the exit. I went past the main entrance and entered from Crittenden Drive and got right in, maybe four cars in front of me at the ticket booth. I got a good parking space, too. The rest of them were still sitting on the Watterson, stopped dead.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:45:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I got off of I-64 and onto the Watterson Expressway at 8:30 and traffic was backed up to past Newberg Rd. All standing still. I wanted to try the entrance on Preston St. but could not get over to make the exit. I went past the main entrance and entered from Crittenden Drive and got right in, maybe four cars in front of me at the ticket booth. I got a good parking space, too. The rest of them were still sitting on the Watterson, stopped dead.
View Quote

Wow! Scary!   I did the same thing about the same time.
That means we were on the same wave length.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#36]
We are gonna try crittendon this morning after we hit mcDs on warnock.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Anybody planning on going tomorrow? Couldn't make it Friday or today. Want to take the boy.

Any tips to get in/out quickly?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Anybody planning on going tomorrow? Couldn't make it Friday or today. Want to take the boy.

View Quote

Preston highway is your best bet. Entrance/gate 6.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like what I did. It was a little closer to 9:00 though so there was about 20 cars in line at gate 3. I thought that was bad until we parked and I saw the people stacked up at the other gates.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yea, glad no one figured it out yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Just got back home from the show. It was great!
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good tip, doing that tomorrow.

I know guns are ok there but loaded ok? Or do they have to be empty?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm. I open carried all day and no one gave a shit. Why all the worry?

On the other note, why doesn't Larue show up for NRA?

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering why arf doesn't have a booth
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:36:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Apparently no one looked at a map of the area around the fairgrounds.  There were secondary entrances that were empty while the line for the main gate was back to Poplar Level on 264.
View Quote

I did.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I survived the Toby Keith concert.   I trust the money goes to the NRA.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I went to the banquet Thursday night and was at the fairgrounds everyday, then hit the Toby Keith concert Saturday night. I was open carrying every day at each of those places. I had tickets for the Trump event and left my gun in the car, but when I took a look at the line waiting in the rain to get in, I decided not to go. Some people were standing in line for 2 hours. The Toby Keith Concert was good. The crowd was smaller than I though it would be. I arrived early and walked around in the crowd before the concert. Nobody said anything about my gun. Finally, I went into the bar and still couldn't draw any attention. Finally, I went to the bar and bought a drink. I thought, maybe that would provoke someone to, at least, ask if it was legal in Ky. I walked closely past dozens of LMPD officers with a shot of whisky in my hand and a FN P-45 on my belt. I walked around like that for 45 minutes. Nobody said a word. There were no signs on the doors about guns or metal detectors. The areas where alcohol could be bought were roped off and I saw signs a each entrance to these areas. There were two different signs. You can see them here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71293583/20160521_193347.jpg

and here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71293583/20160521_193801.jpg

I don't think those signs are an accurate interpretation of the laws dealing with this situation and was willing to do exactly what the signs said I could not do. Nobody stepped up to enforce them. Even though I gave them every opportunity to do it.

I enjoyed the concert.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Parking today was painless.  Crowd didn't seem to overwhelming.  I got plenty of nice swag.  Free Magpul hat, lots of stickers, pics, targets, and shirt.  Saw some new guns up close an personal and checked out some holsters I've been considering.  Not a bad afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top