Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 7:48:24 PM EDT
Who all is going?  
Who is spenging the day out for the air show and fireworks?
Anyone not relying on indoor facilities spending the day?

Tell us how it's done.

I would guess having a place indoors overlooking the river would be the way to go.    Some opportunities are expensive and others are free.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Air show, maybe.  

Fireworks and the bullshit that goes with it, hell no.  Especially after the repeated gang/hood rat activity at the waterfront/walking bridge that has been unreported by the local media and has resulted in no arrests.  I love a lot about this city, but it's corrupt as hell(mostly regarding the NULU and Yum Center areas.  They love that yuppie and hipster money.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone still looking for an indoor base of operations?    

I guess it would be nice to have a good view, indoor restrooms,  and still be able to go out to look around but also escape the crowds and weather if there all day.    Something overlooking the 2nd Street bridge would be nice.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I will be there for the whole enchilada. First time in over a decade. Looking forward to the airshow myself, wife and daughter are excited to see the fireworks.  Looks like it is going to be great weather for it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Belvedere for me. Carrying atleast one spare mag. Prolly get down around 5 or so. First time for my kids and first for me in over a decade.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Something I like to do with my boy is head over to Bowman. Its far from a full airshow, but a lot of the smaller aircraft fly in and out of there. The pilots and crews wander around a bit and chat. It is much lower key than the riverfront. Less of a time investment for a 4 year olds attention span too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Thinking about riding the Harley down to Stevie Ray's on Main St. I don't know why but all the biker trash take up that whole damn city block with there bikes !

If not there ..... Maybe Kingfish at Zorn & River Road .... Parking is free and it's kinda of a low key area ! Granted your away from the downtown craziness but it would be a good place to watch the jets.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I like getting tickets at the Bats ballpark for me the wife and our two kids under 10. You get to watch a ball game during the air show, then a live concert. The seats aren't great for the fireworks though. Don't have to use portable johns. You get assigned seats. And great parking.  Plenty of good food options. And I can pack - I may be mistaken but I read a sign a couple years ago restricting firearms at the waterfront - so I'll refuse to go to the waterfront until they allow responsible citizens.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like getting tickets at the Bats ballpark for me the wife and our two kids under 10. You get to watch a ball game during the air show, then a live concert. The seats aren't great for the fireworks though. Don't have to use portable johns. You get assigned seats. And great parking.  Plenty of good food options. And I can pack - I may be mistaken but I read a sign a couple years ago restricting firearms at the waterfront - so I'll refuse to go to the waterfront until they allow responsible citizens.
View Quote

You've got it just backwards! Louisville Metro does not and can not ban open carry or concealed carry in any open spaces, like Waterfront Park, the Belvedere, Big 4 Bridge etc.
That is because of KRS 65.870.http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=40556

Metro officials know that they can't ban guns and have acknowledged it.

The Louisville Bats, on the other hand, are a private business and can restrict entrance to the property that they own or lease for almost any reason they want. I can not find any mention of a gun ban at their stadium, but have heard that there are "No Guns" signs posted. I have never been to that stadium myself. It sounds like you have and you may possibly have better or more recent information than I have. All I can say is that Lou. Metro can't ban guns (including at Waterfront Park)by state law, the Bats can, if they want to. I'd be interested in any information you have on the a gun ban or absence of one at the stadium.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You've got it just backwards! Louisville Metro does not and can not ban open carry or concealed carry in any open spaces, like Waterfront Park, the Belvedere, Big 4 Bridge etc.
That is because of KRS 65.870.http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=40556

The Louisville Bats, on the other hand, are a private business and can restrict entrance to the property that they own or lease for almost any reason they want. I can not find any mention of a gun ban at their stadium, but have heard that there are "No Guns" signs posted. I have never been to that stadium myself. It sounds like you have and you may possibly have better or more recent information than I have. All I can say is that Lou. Metro can't ban guns (including at Waterfront Park)by state law, the Bats can, if they want to. I'd be interested in any information you have on the a gun ban or absence of one at the stadium.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected! However, I do remember reading the signs that were posted saying weapons were restricted - maybe they can place a temporary ban during large gatherings? Thanks soft point

At any rate, the Ball Park is a great way to experience Thunder
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I stand corrected! However, I do remember reading the signs that were posted saying weapons were restricted - maybe they can place a temporary ban during large gatherings? Thanks soft point

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just talked to two friends that were at  Slugger Field last year and they both said that there is a sign at the entrances that says "No Firearms". I don't know if it is still there or not, but I assume it is.

There is no situation that allows any city in Ky. to ban firearms in open spaces, ever. Not even during a declared emergency/disaster. Ky. cities and counties are allowed to ban CONCEALED Carry inside their buildings, if they pass the required ordinance. They can not ban open carry anywhere and they can't ban concealed carry in open spaces, ever. All of this is in KRS 237.115, here: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=11133

Years ago, during the Ky. Derby Festival, Louisville metro would always cordon off half of downtown Louisville and declare it a "Gun Free Zone". KC3 complained over and over, but there was little we could do. We could sue, but before the courts could act, the event was over. Finally, we wrote a letter to the Louisville FOP and said that we would sue any of their members that tried to enforce the gun ban. The FOP leadership told the city that they would not get involved in this illegal activity and that was the end of the "Gun Free Zone". In 2012 we got the law changed and one of the first lawsuits we filed was against Louisville Metro, twice. They decided that they didn't want to go to court and they settled. Two years ago, "No Firearms" signs suddenly appeared over night at the main entrance to Waterfront Park on the day of Thunder over Louisville. Nobody in metro government would admit that they knew who had placed them and promised to "get them down as soon as somebody could get to it". Nobody was available to "get them down" until Monday morning. There was no attempt to enforce the signs and there were several people that open carried past the signs and probably more that concealed past them. The next year we had people with cameras at all the entrances at 6 am and there have been no signs since then. Just to test their compliance with the law, I have open carried at that park for Worldfest and several other events. I have open carried on the Big 4 Bridge many times. I have open carried into the Jefferson Co. Sheriffs office. I've open carried on Tarc's. I have open carried into the Ky. Convention Center, I have open carried at the Iroquois Ampthitheatre. There is no restriction on guns on public property in Louisville anymore, except for their ban on CONCEALED weapons in all Metro Buildings, which is legal. They have learned their lesson. If they forget, we will sue them again and they know it.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I just talked to two friends that were at  Slugger Field last year and they both said that there is a sign at the entrances that says "No Firearms". I don't know if it is still there or not, but I assume it is.

There is no situation that allows any city in Ky. to ban firearms in open spaces, ever. Not even during a declared emergency/disaster. Ky. cities and counties are allowed to ban CONCEALED Carry inside their buildings, if they pass the required ordinance. They can not ban open carry anywhere and they can't ban concealed carry in open spaces, ever. All of this is in KRS 237.115, here: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=11133

Years ago, during the Ky. Derby Festival, Louisville metro would always cordon off half of downtown Louisville and declare it a "Gun Free Zone". KC3 complained over and over, but there was little we could do. We could sue, but before the courts could act, the event was over. Finally, we wrote a letter to the Louisville FOP and said that we would sue any of their members that tried to enforce the gun ban. The FOP leadership told the city that they would not get involved in this illegal activity and that was the end of the "Gun Free Zone". In 2012 we got the law changed and one of the first lawsuits we filed was against Louisville Metro, twice. They decided that they didn't want to go to court and they settled. Two years ago, "No Firearms" signs suddenly appeared over night at the main entrance to Waterfront Park on the day of Thunder over Louisville. Nobody in metro government would admit that they knew who had placed them and promised to "get them down as soon as somebody could get to it". Nobody was available to "get them down" until Monday morning. There was no attempt to enforce the signs and there were several people that open carried past the signs and probably more that concealed past them. The next year we had people with cameras at all the entrances at 6 am and there have been no signs since then. Just to test their compliance with the law, I have open carried at that park for Worldfest and several other events. I have open carried on the Big 4 Bridge many times. I have open carried into the Jefferson Co. Sheriffs office. I've open carried on Tarc's. I have open carried into the Ky. Convention Center, I have open carried at the Iroquois Ampthitheatre. There is no restriction on guns on public property in Louisville anymore, except for their ban on CONCEALED weapons in all Metro Buildings, which is legal. They have learned their lesson. If they forget, we will sue them again and they know it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

F'ing awesome!! I am not a fan of open carry but I encourage others to do so.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a great post
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:21:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

F'ing awesome!! I am not a fan of open carry but I encourage others to do so.

View Quote

Well, its impossible to test their compliance with the law, if you carry concealed. What would you learn?  How would you know their response to an armed individual, if they couldn't see your gun? Nobody would know you are armed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll be going. Open carrying. My fiance will as well. We might have a couple friends going
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#15]
It was great all around .     There were no issues for us driving in nor finding parking.

My office over looks the river between the Galt House and Yum Center.    I had drinks and snacks well stocked.  

We went out and checked outed the vendors.   Grabbed a few items for lunch/dinner without any lines/waiting and went back to the office.     Later,  I had a couple of guys (and their families) from some of the shoots join us as guest at my office.

We enjoyed the air show and the fireworks.

Upon leaving, the crowd was tame on our short walk to the car.  The subsequent drive was clear, uneventful, and quick.

I know one of our guest encountered delays, specifically in regard to I-65.

I hope everyones trip was safe and the event enjoyable.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#16]
We did a corporate tent space at the science center, our area bordered the river walk sidewalk. Crowd walked by all day, made for great people watching. Saw about a half dozen people OCing as they walked past. Of course that's not counting police and MPs.

The airshow was cool but I think previous years it seemed better. Fireworks were spectacular but toward the end the smoke was so thick that it was actually obscuring the fireworks. Not much wind, a little breeze would have made the finale even better.

Traffic leaving was thick but manageable, it took a while to get home because I need to go from the west main area to east main area, via ninth street and eastern parkway. We will do it again next year but I will probably walk home and retrieve my car the next day.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#17]
The smoke did move slowly westward.    Up high, we thought it appeared to not move at all.   I only noticed it when I drove to the local house.

We thought about walking to and from, but I decided against it.  So, I did a lot of detailed research and planning.    Gees.   I far exceeded my exceeded my own expectations.   Pleasant short walk back to the car and no traffic delays at all.    It was a grand slam.   Yes, I planned well, but it had to take a touch of luck.  

The Westend, including Portland is weird/strange.    There is never any traffic going to and from work.   There was no local traffic in the Westend/Portland for Thunder.     There was traffic for those headed to the interstate around 9th and also 21st/22nd.     But, outside of that, there were separate lanes for through traffic which were empty.  

Supposedly, the government budget sequester has negatively impacted air shows.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We did a corporate tent space at the science center, our area bordered the river walk sidewalk. Crowd walked by all day, made for great people watching. Saw about a half dozen people OCing as they walked past. Of course that's not counting police and MPs.

The airshow was cool but I think previous years it seemed better. Fireworks were spectacular but toward the end the smoke was so thick that it was actually obscuring the fireworks. Not much wind, a little breeze would have made the finale even better.

Traffic leaving was thick but manageable, it took a while to get home because I need to go from the west main area to east main area, via ninth street and eastern parkway. We will do it again next year but I will probably walk home and retrieve my car the next day.
View Quote

Several people that I know where also there OC. Everyone reported experiencing no problems. This makes three years in a row without any problems. Maybe Louisville Metro has turned the corner on their dark history of illicit oppression. I was convince that everyday OC would attract no attention, but the Derby Festival is different, security is really tight and a lot of inexperienced police are in situations where they are not comfortable or knowledgeable. Mistakes can happens, egos get involved.

Humans are very tribal and territorial animals. The groups stick together and fight for what they perceive as "their turf". Cops are no exception. Training is the answer to all of this.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#19]
This year, I have heard officals on both sides of the river ask people to not bring firearms, as it was unnecessary, in their opinion.   They clearly stated they weren't saying people could not carry.  

My view on carrying is simple.    Concealed carry is the same as a woman's menstrual cycle.   It isn't illegal, and it is an extremely personal/private matter.   It is absolutely no one's business anytime or anyplace.   Open carry is obviously about guns.   I love them and try my best to love gun people.   Other people hate guns and gun people.   I am not fond of anti gun people.

Carrying a gun is the most fundamental and important of all rights, the right to life and liberty along with the right to protect one's self.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Save yourself some time/money and NEVER go to the ICE HOUSE rooftop for the fireworks part. It's great for the air show and AWEFUL for fireworks. You can only see about 10% from the Ice House rooftop.

Last night 5 minutes into the fireworks, I grabbed the wife and kids and walked fast to N. Preston near Slugger Field to stand and catch the last 15 minutes of the show.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Save yourself some time/money and NEVER go to the ICE HOUSE rooftop for the fireworks part. It's great for the air show and AWEFUL for fireworks. You can only see about 10% from the Ice House rooftop.

Last night 5 minutes into the fireworks, I grabbed the wife and kids and walked fast to N. Preston near Slugger Field to stand and catch the last 15 minutes of the show.
View Quote

I used to rent a flat on one of the top floors of the building next door on the corner, the Carlyle building.   It had great views.   Don't know if it is the same ownership.   I do know they were/are  very corrupt.   At the time, my office was in the building overlooking the  2nd st bridge.   It and the LG&E facilities were torn down to build the Yum Center.   That was my favorite viewing spot.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Air show, maybe.  

Fireworks and the bullshit that goes with it, hell no.  Especially after the repeated gang/hood rat activity at the waterfront/walking bridge that has been unreported by the local media and has resulted in no arrests. I love a lot about this city, but it's corrupt as hell(mostly regarding the NULU and Yum Center areas.  They love that yuppie and hipster money.

That.

Tell us about some of the ones not reported.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Air show, maybe.  

Fireworks and the bullshit that goes with it, hell no.  Especially after the repeated gang/hood rat activity at the waterfront/walking bridge that has been unreported by the local media and has resulted in no arrests. I love a lot about this city, but it's corrupt as hell(mostly regarding the NULU and Yum Center areas.  They love that yuppie and hipster money.

That.

Vandalism, gang fights etc. taking place in the area.  Videos posted to Facebook, none seen on local news broadcasts.

Are you in doubt of gang activity in the area or just curious?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Curious.

Any links?

But, surely people in this thread can't possibly be implying the Louisville mayor and chief of police are clueless when they say, "We cannot arrest our way out of these problems"?

I don't want to be guilty of a CoC #7 violation.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Curious.

Any links?

But, surely people in this thread can't possibly be implying the Louisville mayor and chief of police are clueless when they say, "We cannot arrest our way out of these problems"?

I don't want to be guilty of a CoC #7 violation.  
View Quote

No links handy, will poke around old Facebook posts.

As for the mayor/chief, from what I've heard from those in or tied to city government, there are instructions/orders to ignore/hide issues in the NuLu/Yum/Waterfront area.  From my opinion, this is being done to simultaneously hide gang activity(especially black crime occurring outside the west end) and reverse white flight(money) from downtown areas.  Hell, the city government fines companies for graffiti on their buildings and posts lone officers around the waterfront and places cameras on the bridge for appearances; to me that exemplifies their motives.

Much of what I've been told was on a "you didn't hear it from me" basis.  Take that as you wish.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:08:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top