Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2016 11:50:53 AM EDT
I want to thread the barrel on my mossberg MVP .308. It's got a medium bull barrel on it. Can anyone recommend a smith in KY that does good work? I'll send it to adco if nowhere else but I'd like to give a local guy some business if possible. I'm located in NKY.

ETA: This will be for a suppressor so it needs to be done well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Garrett Gumsmiths on Monmoth St in Newport

Had some 1911 work done there.

Or, Point Blank in Florence KY.   One of the gunsmiths there has shot with us .

Had some minor work done there.

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't know point blank had a gunsmith on hand, I'll give them a try first. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I didn't know point blank had a gunsmith on hand, I'll give them a try first. Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big guy.   Smokes.  Glasses.   Works in manufacturing.   Fan of the Ford Eco boost V6.    Has one in his fawn/tan F150.

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do not, I repeat DO NOT go to Garret Gunsmiths in Newport. The guy is a douche and a hack. You can say that's just my opinion based on my personal experience but I know a lot of people who've had the same experience.

I didn't know BP had their own smith either so I can't say one way of the other about that guy but me personally, I'd send it up to ADCO.

Those guys have worked on a number of barrels for me. Turn around time (from the time I dropped it off at the PO until I got it delivered back at my front door) has always been under a week, prices are reasonable and the work is second to none. The last thing is the big one for me. Too many people walking around calling themselves gunsmiths who don't have a clue. They take forever, fuck up your shit and then don't make it right. When you send it to ADCO, you know it will be done right, the first time and if by chance something does go south, they will make it right. Unfortunately, that is not the norm these days.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I am not in any position to argue the matter.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Can't say about in KY but I will throw out a positive comment for ADCO.

I had them thread a Contender barrel and they did a great job.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Rose Action Sports

I've used Steve multiple times and have been thoroughly pleased each time. I've got more stuff for him to work on now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rose Action Sports

I've used Steve multiple times and have been thoroughly pleased each time. I've got more stuff for him to work on now.
View Quote

Where is he located at? I'm guessing southern part of the state?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I would also recommend Steve. His work is too notch and a great guy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He's in Western Kentucky, about 20 miles from Ft Campbell. Awesome guy, awesome work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rose Action Sports

He's in Western Kentucky, about 20 miles from Ft Campbell. Awesome guy, awesome work.

I do have a 1911 that I want some work done on. Might have to give him a shot? What's his turn around time like?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I do have a 1911 that I want some work done on. Might have to give him a shot? What's his turn around time like?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rose Action Sports

Steve just worked on two of my 1911's. Milled both slides for Novak sights, new hammer and sear in one of them and a threaded barrel in the other. If I remember the turn around time on those was a month-ish. All of the shotgun work he has done for me has been 1-2 weeks.

He also milled my Hi Power for Novak sights too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Steve just worked on two of my 1911's. Milled both slides for Novak sights, new hammer and sear in one of them and a threaded barrel in the other. If I remember the turn around time on those was a month-ish. All of the shotgun work he has done for me has been 1-2 weeks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rose Action Sports

Good to know - Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Snipe Customs has done good work for me.  It has been several months since I was last out there-north Lexington in the country.  They specialize inlong range customs.  http://www.snipearms.com/
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Christian has threaded several barrels for me and is quite good at cutting them concentric to the bore.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Steve Rose at Rose Action Sports. Awesome communication, precision workmanship, super fast turn around. The onoy person I would let touch my wison combat stainless barrel. Cut, concentrically threaded, target crown, opened gas port to .100 in. Enough said.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#17]
One would think there would have to be some place around Greater Cincinnati or Metro Louisville.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Snipe Customs has done good work for me.  It has been several months since I was last out there-north Lexington in the country.  They specialize inlong range customs.  http://www.snipearms.com/
View Quote
I might have to go to this guy to get my Remington 700 barrel threaded. I would rather go locally, I hate having to send firearms in the mail.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I believe the Christian that is mentioned above is the same one with Snipe.  They are in horse country in north Fayette county.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Indeed he is.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Do not, I repeat DO NOT go to Garret Gunsmiths in Newport. The guy is a douche and a hack. You can say that's just my opinion based on my personal experience but I know a lot of people who've had the same experience.

I didn't know BP had their own smith either so I can't say one way of the other about that guy but me personally, I'd send it up to ADCO.

Those guys have worked on a number of barrels for me. Turn around time (from the time I dropped it off at the PO until I got it delivered back at my front door) has always been under a week, prices are reasonable and the work is second to none. The last thing is the big one for me. Too many people walking around calling themselves gunsmiths who don't have a clue. They take forever, fuck up your shit and then don't make it right. When you send it to ADCO, you know it will be done right, the first time and if by chance something does go south, they will make it right. Unfortunately, that is not the norm these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do not use Garrett in Newport. Ever.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top