Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2016 9:27:27 PM EDT
We don't have a Cabelas in Nashville.

There is one in Bowling Green. They just might have the savage 10T in 6.5CM in stock.

I know here in TN bordering state folks can purchase long arms - is this the case in KY?

If so I'll drive my ass up to Bowling Green.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Kick ass.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell, you can buy a long gun from any shop in any of the 50 states regardless of your state of residence.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hell, you can buy a long gun from any shop in any of the 50 states regardless of your state of residence.
View Quote

I did not know that.

Interesting.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We don't have a Cabelas in Nashville.

There is one in Bowling Green. They just might have the savage 10T in 6.5CM in stock.

I know here in TN bordering state folks can purchase long arms - is this the case in KY?

If so I'll drive my ass up to Bowling Green.
View Quote

Yes, KRS 237.020. You can read it here before you make the trip:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=11118
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#6]

OOPS, Double tap.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#7]
The LAW says its fine. You should call Cabelas and make arrangements first as store policy or education might differ from what the law allows!
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#8]
My understanding from a federal level is, you can buy a rifle or shotgun from a dealer in any bordering state. The exception to that is if the state in question has their own stupid laws like NJ, NY or CA. I have bought rifles and shotguns in Ohio even though I'm a KY resident.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I would call and speak with the manager in firearms to ensure that they have what you want and find out what their policy is for nonresident sales. I tried to buy a couple of lowers in TN once and was told that nonresidents could not buy anything with or capable of taking a pistol grip. Regardless of what the law states, you are never going to win argument with an employee following company policy. Bowling Green is a nice area though and it wouldn't be a total waste of a day.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:51:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would call and speak with the manager in firearms to ensure that they have what you want and find out what their policy is for nonresident sales. I tried to buy a couple of lowers in TN once and was told that nonresidents could not buy anything with or capable of taking a pistol grip. Regardless of what the law states, you are never going to win argument with an employee following company policy. Bowling Green is a nice area though and it wouldn't be a total waste of a day.
View Quote

You simply must be a resident of the state you are buying in to buy a stripped or complete lower.  It has nothing to do with accepting a pistol grip.

A Colt 6920 has a pistol grip and you can buy that unless the state you reside in doesn't allow them or something like that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#11]
You can buy a long gun outside your state of residency. Handguns and other non long guns must be purchased in you state of residency. A stripped lower or a shotgun that has only a pistol grip and no shoulder stock are not long guns. Some states have laws that may restrict residents to buying long guns only from adjoining states, but federal law has no such stipulation.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Also on your way up to KY might as well check out Clarksville - no Cabelas but there is an Academy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My understanding from a federal level is, you can buy a rifle or shotgun from a dealer in any bordering state. The exception to that is if the state in question has their own stupid laws like NJ, NY or CA. I have bought rifles and shotguns in Ohio even though I'm a KY resident.
View Quote

The border state thing used to be a KY requirement. It is no longer according to KRS 237.020. On a Federal level, you may obtain a rifle or shotgun in an over-the-counter transaction from a licensee in any state, subject to the requirement of your State of residence and the licensee's State of business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top