Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2016 3:28:25 AM EDT
Not quite a year ago, I posted a message about moving to KY.   Someone PM'd me and we exchanged a few emails, I can't find those emails in my Inbox.

I'm visiting KY next week, we've just about got the house on the market (soon...) and my son appears to be positioned to actually graduate HS.
The plan is, get outta Arkansas in June, plop in KY somewhere (scouting next week) and start the search for permanent living.   Have a 3rd grader for this fall, might home-school though.
Wife has good frenz in Louisville and Paris, parents in IN.   And Anderson Manufacturing prob loves me.

Person last year said I was looking for Anderson County.  A map of central KY is my desktop PC's background.    I must have reliable internet service and I reallly reallly do not want to live inside city limits.   Guns and handloading are a hobby and I don't want it to be a crime to step outside and discharge a round or two.   Am willing to build a small tower if I need terrestrial wireless or Verizon (pricey for home internet, though).   Longer goal is a farm-ish... hills, trees, water, wildlife, firewood, solar power.... internet...

I'm a computer/networking nerd (and it shows), was in the 'chair force' long ago, have several guns, looking forward to a change of country, weather and lifestyle.   I've gained 20 pds since my new job ~ yr ago.   It's a "nice" job, can take it almost anywhere, but I work a lot hours, partly by choice.

I also have this vanity about myself, that I really know the US Constitution VERY well -- I started studying intently in 2006.   I have found the US Const the most ill-respected document, even among "conservatives".   Wow do we do it wrong.
...At every level!   It's painfully, graphically clear to me why our country is suffering, and it isn't just the Obama thing, although, he is a menace.   I'll try not to be d!ck about it:  I need to actually make frenz this time around  

We're prob going to scout around Lex, Frank, Lawrence; visit a school or two, maybe a church as well.   I'm leaving the snake-handling behind... haha, we're not obtusely religious, prob devout compared to some, but certainly a couple of gawd dam INFIDELS!

Wow sorry so long message...
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 6:37:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I live near Richmond. I lived in Louisville for 3 years before moving here, and I can say it's a different world. It's pretty laid back. I shoot when and where I want.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:07:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live near Richmond. I lived in Louisville for 3 years before moving here, and I can say it's a different world. It's pretty laid back. I shoot when and where I want.
View Quote

If there was a contest for nicest person in the world the winner and runner up would be from Richmond.

ETA: You dun got archived!
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 2:57:45 AM EDT
[#3]
oh ... archived.. .haha.. didn't know a thing about it or how to find it.
Thanks!

....also, I will check out Richmond while there next week.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 3:44:20 AM EDT
[#4]
As someone else who moved from Arkansas to Kentucky, you'll enjoy it. I moved to Louisville for work, but looked for a place to live all over central KY. Finally settled on Elizabethtown.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to Bluegrass country, again.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If there was a contest for nicest person in the world the winner and runner up would be from Richmond.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much. My wife had spent her entire life in Louisville up until we met. She couldn't believe how it was here. She thought people were up to no good they were so friendly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Pretty much. My wife had spent her entire life in Louisville up until we met. She couldn't believe how it was here. She thought people were up to no good they were so friendly.
View Quote

nice... I will make sure we swing south and pay Richmond a visit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#8]
The Richmond area is nice as long as you don't have to commute to Lexington every day. I have coworkers that have done that for years. They all hated the wrecks and traffic on 75 so they all moved to Lex eventually.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:37:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I made the drive from Richmond to Lex last week, and it was flooded with fast, young drivers.   Kinda scared me, really.   Made me mad, too.
Wife and I decided that Richmond was not an option.

Richmond is basically a college town and we're quite sick of the college student.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I made the drive from Richmond to Lex last week, and it was flooded with fast, young drivers.   Kinda scared me, really.   Made me mad, too.

Richmond is basically a college town and we're quite sick of the college student.
View Quote

You're going to be that "get off my lawn!" neighbor, aren't you? I think Ace has garden hoses on sale this week.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Richmond is tame.    Stay away from the following, or your heart will explode:

Lexington   full of colleges
Louisville full of colleges
Williamsburg the college is all there is
Berea the college is all there is

Williamsburg, Berea,  and Richmond are nothing like Lexington and Louisville.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Used to live in Anderson down the parkway off exit 48.  Has everything you asked for, including a genuine Amish grocery store nearby in Willisburg.   Internet can be spotty at times, but as long as you're on a hill or with a tower you can probably get shelby broadband.  On the next exit west on the parkway the 555 will take you to Louisville in 45 minutes.  You're also 40 mins from Lex as well.  Bardstown is 20 mins away and has decent restaurants/shopping.  Close enough to everything but far enough away too.  I'm in Richmond now and I really miss it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depending on how urban you actually want to be, you might ride on down to London. Laurel Lake is down there and London is a nice, smaller town so the pace of things might fit you better. It is growing down there so you'll have options as far as suburban or more rural places in the area.

You'll have Knoxville, Pigeon Forge, Laurel and Cumberland lakes and Lexington all within about 2 hours for plenty of recreational options.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:38:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You're going to be that "get off my lawn!" neighbor, aren't you? I think Ace has garden hoses on sale this week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't follow you here.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I think it was me you talked to. Anderson county is what you seek. If that's not an option, look at Mercer, Boyle, and Owen counties.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hah, I live in Lex and work in Berea. 75 is the best part of my commute.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, I thought everybody that lived in Berea worked in Lexington.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Traffic on Richmond Rd at rush hour supports your theory.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:11:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think it was me you talked to. Anderson county is what you seek. If that's not an option, look at Mercer, Boyle, and Owen counties.
View Quote

yeah it was, I remember the alias now.   we drove all over several counties.   Mercer seems to have pretty good wireless internet service.
still gotta sell the house I got already..
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My son lived in Lexington and worked in Berea.    He has since bought a house in Richmond and still works in Berea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top