Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2016 8:59:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#1]
All kinds of stuff is gonna happen when Charter comes in. REALLY good stuff IMO. But I may have a vested interest in this buyout happening!
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
link

rumor is this will happen in the new few weeks.
View Quote

Cool.

I've been reasonably happy with TWC (internet only). My only gripe is that when the rates go up I have to pretend to want to jump to ATT and they have to pretend to be doing me a favor to give me the intro rates for another year. Give me a flat rate that stays flat!

I'm still hoping Google Fiber comes to town. Competition works. Worst case is I pay the $300 to get the Google Fiber installed and get their free tier. That raises my homes value and gives me like 5/1 as a backup if TWC is out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Still hoping for google fiber.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Absolutely, but that's, what, best case two years out? Uverse is nice but hardly offered anywhere and they're the only non satellite competitor right now. I love my DirecTV but I'll switch to Google in an instant.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I like TWC, when it works. I feel like I'm constantly resetting my router up here in Florence. Do any of you have experience with cincinnati bell's fioptics? It's supposed to be coming to my neighborhood soon.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like TWC, when it works. I feel like I'm constantly resetting my router up here in Florence. Do any of you have experience with cincinnati bell's fioptics? It's supposed to be coming to my neighborhood soon.
View Quote

My parents have it. Cable sucks quite frankly, its slow and the boxes overheat. Internet seems fine. Service is mediocre.

If you're having issues with your router and TWC, buy your own router. It'll save you $5-10 a month in rental and you can get one that gives you more control and diagnostic access. It can help you figure out if you have a wiring issue or if its on their end.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My parents have it. Cable sucks quite frankly, its slow and the boxes overheat. Internet seems fine. Service is mediocre.

If you're having issues with your router and TWC, buy your own router. It'll save you $5-10 a month in rental and you can get one that gives you more control and diagnostic access. It can help you figure out if you have a wiring issue or if its on their end.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you recommend a decent router?
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

j rarely ever have to reset my router.. currently I use an ubiquiti edgerouter.

before that I had a cisco rv180 rarely had to reboot.   before that an Engenious Wireless N router reboot maybe once every 4 months

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

before that I had a cisco rv180 rarely had to reboot.   before that an Engenious Wireless N router reboot maybe once every 4 months

I honestly think it's more a TWC problem than the router. It seems like there's just days where I'm constantly doing it and others it works fine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had a Motorola Surfboard that has been acceptable. Not great but its not pissed me off either.

I tend to trust Motorola modems. Buying your modem and router separately is probably a smarter move than an all-in-one. Use TWCs modem compatibility page at: http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/lease-or-buy-modem.html
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 1:21:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Is this statewide or just a few select cities?
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Random thought on this. I'm happy at 30/5 now, under the new system I can get 50/5 two tiers down and save about $20 a month.

Am I missing something? Is TWC going to let me do that?
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Random thought on this. I'm happy at 30/5 now, under the new system I can get 50/5 two tiers down and save about $20 a month.

View Quote

Bandwidth lost is rarely regained!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MOLON LLAAAABE!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I have actually been very happy with time warner. I have had no issues in the 3 years I have lived here. I will enjoy the faster speeds.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anybody seen any increase?  I'm in west Lexington, and it has not happened here and TWC has not mentioned it in my billing papers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I have the cheapest internet they offer.
I just did a test and am pulling 81 down and 11 up!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm in Northern Kentucky and TWC's speeds are really hit and miss here. We've had issues with their speeds not being anywhere close to what we're supposed to have for the past 3 years. Unfortunately there are no other decent options in my area. Hope it picks up soon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Absolutely, but that's, what, best case two years out? Uverse is nice but hardly offered anywhere and they're the only non satellite competitor right now. I love my DirecTV but I'll switch to Google in an instant.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

whoa... you have DirecTV satellite internet service and you love it ???

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I pay for the 15 down and 1 up speed. Just did a speed test that resulted in 18 down 6 up. 17-18 down has been typical for me, but the increased upload speed is new.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:46:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm in Northern Kentucky and TWC's speeds are really hit and miss here. We've had issues with their speeds not being anywhere close to what we're supposed to have for the past 3 years. Unfortunately there are no other decent options in my area. Hope it picks up soon.
View Quote

As soon as Cincinnati Bell has fioptics in my neighborhood I'm switching.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

God no. I mean I would drop DirecTV for the Google TV service that is offered alongside Fiber. I'm using TWC for my internet service.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't heard anything good about Cincinnati Bell. I've actually heard they are worse than TWC as far as service goes, but I have no first hand experience with them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I originally had 15 down and 1 up. When they bumped up the speed, I would get 18 down and 5-6 up on the old modem. I just received and installed my upgraded modem. The speed test now shows 51 down and 5.81 up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#29]
The website shows I have their 200mb down service now.  I'm still only pulling 30mb down though.  I had paid for the 50mb down service for a year and always received 50 or more down.  I wonder if I call if they will "flip the switch" and at least give me 50mb down again.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#30]
No luck on getting bumped up to 50 before the full upgrade kicks in.  The customer service agent said "probably next quarter" and that I should receive a letter or email one week before the speed upgrade actually happens.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

really? they still keep saying the 12th
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I originally had 15 down and 1 up. When they bumped up the speed, I would get 18 down and 5-6 up on the old modem. I just received and installed my upgraded modem. The speed test now shows 51 down and 5.81 up.

really? they still keep saying the 12th

I guess it was too good to be true. It's throttled down to 16 down.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
what wan speed is your router?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The website shows I have their 200mb down service now.  I'm still only pulling 30mb down though.  I had paid for the 50mb down service for a year and always received 50 or more down.  I wonder if I call if they will "flip the switch" and at least give me 50mb down again.

what wan speed is your router?

I bought my own modem about a year ago after they jacked up the rental price.  I bought an ARRIS SB6141 modem which is 300Mb down with a 1Gb network port.  It feeds my router which is a gigabit Asus RT-AC68U.  Once the upgrade happens I should have no problem getting the maximum speed down.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#34]
I got a call from them earlier this week. I will have a new modem today and the new speed will kick in next Thursday in S Lex.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#35]
West Lexington reporting, still no change.  I have a SB6141 and a TP-Link Archer C9, so I should not have any problems.  No letter or any info from TWC.  I wonder what will happen if or when Charter takes over.  I thought last year the agreement was for Charter, not Comcast.  Oh well,  nothing  like not being kept informed.  I'm at 16 down and 1 up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I was at my sister's in south Lexington tonight, and she is now getting 67 down and 20 up(she is on a higher plan).  I just checked, and I went from 16 and 1 to 26-43 and 5.  I tried running speedtest several times and there is a bit of variance.  Improvement is a good thing.  Still a ways to go to get the 50 and 5 that is listed for my level on TWC's site.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#37]
W Lexington here, just tested and getting 50 down and 4 up now. Previous 16 down and 1 up
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 5:28:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I honestly think it's more a TWC problem than the router. It seems like there's just days where I'm constantly doing it and others it works fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm late to the party as usual but typically it problems caused by oversubscription in an area dragging the signal down. I see it as digitizing on my TV service. Once I call and schedule a service it goes away but the tech still come out and finds "signal degradation due to bad connectors".
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm in ZIP code 40220 on a Motorola Surfboard. Looks like my updates hit overnight.

fast.com says 120/?
Speedtest says 97/11
SamKnows shows 57/11 sustained
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#41]
I got my new TWC modem in yesterday. On the 5ghz side according to speedtest.net I'm pulling down 170 mbps up and 10 ish down which I'm really not sure how that's even possible. I'm paying 30.

On the 2.4ghz side I'm pulling down 75 and up is around 10

I'm not sure how or why I'm getting such huge numbers, I'm going to monitor it and see if goes down over time. On my old modem I was pulling around 32 while paying for 30.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

if you were paying for 30 down you were upgraded to 200mb down 20up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got my new TWC modem in yesterday. On the 5ghz side according to speedtest.net I'm pulling down 170 mbps up and 10 ish down which I'm really not sure how that's even possible. I'm paying 30.

On the 2.4ghz side I'm pulling down 75 and up is around 10

I'm not sure how or why I'm getting such huge numbers, I'm going to monitor it and see if goes down over time. On my old modem I was pulling around 32 while paying for 30.

if you were paying for 30 down you were upgraded to 200mb down 20up

Really? They didn't tell me that. What's the price increase going to be down the road?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#44]
The SB6141 isn't supported by TWC for anything over 100mbps because it's only 8 channels not 16.

Last I heard they were doing all or nothing on downstream. If you didn't have a model capable of supporting the new boosted speed they wouldn't even try to give you the highest speed your modem could support.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#45]
I am still only getting high 30's for down, occasionally low 40's.  I should be getting 50 down and 5 up.  I am curious about the ping speed.  I am usually between 55ms and 60ms- normal or something I should check into?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top