Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 9:45:39 PM EDT
So, yeah.  Found out I'll be relocating to the Pulaski county area around June.

Wife, 2 kids, 3 and 1.  Probably live within 20 min of Somerset.  I'd love to have a few acres to shoot, but doubt the wife will let me.  Suspect some sort of housing development.  Renting.

Any suggestions for location?  Daycare options - my kid will be close to 7 when my next move time frame rolls around, so at the very least 1 year of elementary school (unless kindergarden is there as well).

Seems like there are quite a few places to shoot within a few minutes.  I've been glancing through the stickies, but so far it seems pretty straight forward.

The CCW is a bit burdensome, but ATF items are fine (sorry, NFA)?  Open carry is OK, as is gun in car, correct?

What's the deal with elementary schools/daycares, city/county buildings, hospitals, etc?  All I've seen are the proposals for secondary schools and universities.

Thanks for the insights.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
...snip

The CCW is a bit burdensome, but ATF items are fine?  Open carry is OK, as is gun in car, correct?

What's the deal with elementary schools/daycares, city/county buildings, hospitals, etc?  All I've seen are the proposals for secondary schools and universities.

Thanks for the insights.
View Quote

I don't know what you mean by "burdensome", seems pretty easy to me and what are "ATF" items? Do you mean NFA items? All NFA items are good to go in Ky. CLEO must sign. Ky. CCDW license is very straight forward. Its a  "shall issue" state. What state are you coming from? If I knew that, I could tell you how we are different. Guns are OK in cars without a license, just don't hide it. It is not consealed if in glove box or any other factory installed compartment. Open on the seat or dask is OK. Under the seat and covered on the seat requires a license. No guns allowed on any K-12 school property, except in vehicles. No concealed weapons in daycare facilities. City/county buildings MAY prohibit concealed weapons, but can't stop open carry. Just uncover the weapon and go on in. They can't regulate anything in open spaces. It's about  50/50 on which do and which don't. They have to pass an ordinance and post signs. They can't just stick the signs up. State government buildings don't prohibit guns, with the exception of detention facilities, courts and court facilities. Police stations and Sheriff's office is no concealed weapons.  All colleges and universities prohibit guns. None of this is a crime. The most that they can do is ask you to leave, no punishment. Schools are an exception to that, possession of a gun on school property, except in a vehicle, is a felony. No guns in "bars", but restaurants are OK, even if they serve alcohol. Drinking, while carrying is not illegal. If you are coming from a state that has reciprocity with Ky, your license will be good for 120 days, if you take the Ky. training class and apply within the first 60 days. So, you won't miss a day of being licensed. Again, if I knew what state, I could tell you more. Anything else?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#2]
His Profile block thingie says he is coming from SC.

Sounds like he is not looking forward to coming here.  Stay there if it is going to be too much trouble to live here.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]
These I'm moving to..... Threads always make me want to move.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't know what you mean by "burdensome", seems pretty easy to me and what are "ATF" items? Do you mean NFA items? All NFA items are good to go in Ky. CLEO must sign. Ky. CCDW license is very straight forward. Its a  "shall issue" state. What state are you coming from? If I knew that, I could tell you how we are different. Guns are OK in cars without a license, just don't hide it. It is not consealed if in glove box or any other factory installed compartment. Open on the seat or dask is OK. Under the seat and covered on the seat requires a license. No guns allowed on any K-12 school property, except in vehicles. No concealed weapons in daycare facilities. City/county buildings MAY prohibit concealed weapons, but can't stop open carry. Just uncover the weapon and go on in. They can't regulate anything in open spaces. It's about  50/50 on which do and which don't. They have to pass an ordinance and post signs. They can't just stick the signs up. State government buildings don't prohibit guns, with the exception of detention facilities, courts and court facilities. Police stations and Sheriff's office is no concealed weapons.  All colleges and universities prohibit guns. None of this is a crime. The most that they can do is ask you to leave, no punishment. Schools are an exception to that, possession of a gun on school property, except in a vehicle, is a felony. No guns in "bars", but restaurants are OK, even if they serve alcohol. Drinking, while carrying is not illegal. If you are coming from a state that has reciprocity with Ky, your license will be good for 120 days, if you take the Ky. training class and apply within the first 60 days. So, you won't miss a day of being licensed. Again, if I knew what state, I could tell you more. Anything else?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...snip

The CCW is a bit burdensome, but ATF items are fine?  Open carry is OK, as is gun in car, correct?

Thanks for the insights.

Burdensome, in that you have to take a class, then send it to the state police, then take it to your local LEO - if I'm understanding the process.  Just a lot of steps.  In VA you just walked into your county courthouse and paid the money and did the form.  

Regarding NFA items (amended my OP), you only need CLEO sign off for new things, right?  I don't have to register what I already have locally (other than updating ATF forms)?

My CCW is VA, so yay  .... no reciprocity as of 1 FEB.  However, have a SC pending. Hopefully comes in soon.  Regarding concealed in the vehicle, do they consider in a under-seat lock-box to be concealed? Or would be that be secured?  Thanks for the sumary.

As for moving - not much say in the matter.  So whether I'm happy or not is a moot point.  It's going to be 3 years at least.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Burdensome, in that you have to take a class, then send it to the state police, then take it to your local LEO - if I'm understanding the process.  Just a lot of steps.  In VA you just walked into your county courthouse and paid the money and did the form.  

Regarding NFA items (amended my OP), you only need CLEO sign off for new things, right?  I don't have to register what I already have locally (other than updating ATF forms)?

My CCW is VA, so yay  .... no reciprocity as of 1 FEB.  However, have a SC pending. Hopefully comes in soon.  Regarding concealed in the vehicle, do they consider in a under-seat lock-box to be concealed? Or would be that be secured?  Thanks for the sumary.

As for moving - not much say in the matter.  So whether I'm happy or not is a moot point.  It's going to be 3 years at least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...snip

Thanks for the insights.

Well, I agree, more "burdensome" that Va., but you only have to do it once. No STATE registration of NFA items, or anything else, for that matter in Ky.
.  The reciprocity problem with Va. has been put off until March 1, by the AG and Governor of Va. There is also a deal and a change of the law in the works to fix it permanently, by the General Assembly. Your Va. license is still good for reciprocity.
Here is a link from VCDL about the agreement and the  March 1 extended deadline: https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/727/2016/01/sort/time_rev/page/1/entry/1:25/20160129215715:267A4852-C6FD-11E5-B3B1-617BF010038B/

And here is a link to the bill that just passed the Va. House of Representatives to fix this permanently: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?161+ful+SB610S3

Under the seat in a locked box is a good question. I've never seen that exact question addressed anywhere. Under the seat would be concealed, non-factory installed compartment would be concealed, but locked would not be accessible, so not "on or about your person. I'd say not illegal since it is not accessible. Here is what the statute says, "KRS 527.020 Carrying concealed deadly weapon.
(1) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed weapon when he or she carries concealed
a firearm or other deadly weapon on or about his or her person
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Science Hill Elementary school is suppose to be one of the best around.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Science Hill Elementary school is suppose to be one of the best around.
View Quote

Thank you!  It seems there are 2 school districts as well as private schools.  I have some time to figure it out but appreciate this info.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I live in Pulaski County.  You have 2 school systems in the county (Southwester and Pulaski) with elementary, middle feeding into their respective high schools.  You also have Somerset Independent for the city schools.  There is a Science Hill schools which is elementary thru 6-7 (I can't remember which) and most of those kids will then feed into the Pulaski County (northern) school system.  

There are 2 private Christian schools that I'm aware of and those are Saline Academy (very small) and Somerset Christian School (PreK-12th grade).

I have a 4 year old that will be going to Somerset Christian for preschool in August.  

I graduated from Pulaski County.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I live in Pulaski County.  You have 2 school systems in the county (Southwester and Pulaski) with elementary, middle feeding into their respective high schools.  You also have Somerset Independent for the city schools.  There is a Science Hill schools which is elementary thru 6-7 (I can't remember which) and most of those kids will then feed into the Pulaski County (northern) school system.  

There are 2 private Christian schools that I'm aware of and those are Saline Academy (very small) and Somerset Christian School (PreK-12th grade).

I have a 4 year old that will be going to Somerset Christian for preschool in August.  

View Quote

Any ideas on day cares?  My daughter just turned 3.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]
SNIP
Well, I agree, more "burdensome" that Va., but you only have to do it once. No STATE registration of NFA items, or anything else, for that matter in Ky.
.  The reciprocity problem with Va. has been put off until March 1, by the AG and Governor of Va. There is also a deal and a change of the law in the works to fix it permanently, by the General Assembly. Your Va. license is still good for reciprocity.
Here is a link from VCDL about the agreement and the  March 1 extended deadline: https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/727/2016/01/sort/time_rev/page/1/entry/1:25/20160129215715:267A4852-C6FD-11E5-B3B1-617BF010038B/

And here is a link to the bill that just passed the Va. House of Representatives to fix this permanently: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?161+ful+SB610S3

Under the seat in a locked box is a good question. I've never seen that exact question addressed anywhere. Under the seat would be concealed, non-factory installed compartment would be concealed, but locked would not be accessible, so not "on or about your person. I'd say not illegal since it is not accessible. Here is what the statute says, "KRS 527.020 Carrying concealed deadly weapon.
(1) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed weapon when he or she carries concealed
a firearm or other deadly weapon on or about his or her person
.[/span][/span]
View Quote

Thanks for this. I haven't kept up with VCDL, but I did hear the state was trying to pass legislation to block the VA AG.  Either way, it seems SC is abiding by the 1 FEB deadline, so I'm a bit SOL locally.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:23:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have any personal recommendations.  My wife stayed home.  We did look at Children's Learning Tree behind Kroger south and they seemed nice.  We also looked at a place beside Kmart (sorry can't remember name) and liked it too.  Basically think it comes down to where you are going to live and work and convenience.  I live on south side of town so Learning tree would be best for us, but may not be for you.  

As for ccl/cdw whatever you want to call it, our sheriff office is nice and easy. I know a few people in town that teach the class and can point you in their direction if you need.  After class, just go to sheriffs office and they take care of the rest.  Right now there is not a long backlog, so you should get everything retuned to you fairly quick.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't have any personal recommendations.  My wife stayed home.  We did look at Children's Learning Tree behind Kroger south and they seemed nice.  We also looked at a place beside Kmart (sorry can't remember name) and liked it too.  Basically think it comes down to where you are going to live and work and convenience.  I live on south side of town so Learning tree would be best for us, but may not be for you.  

As for ccl/cdw whatever you want to call it, our sheriff office is nice and easy. I know a few people in town that teach the class and can point you in their direction if you need.  After class, just go to sheriffs office and they take care of the rest.  Right now there is not a long backlog, so you should get everything retuned to you fairly quick.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great.  Ill probably PM you in May as my move gets closer.  We'll be in the area next month house huntin and will swing by those locations.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Will you be working in Somerset and looking to live within 20 minutes of it or are you living/working 20 minutes outside of Somerset?  My g/f lived there for several years.  The is a martial arts school that offers after school care and will teach them "karate".  The certificates they received actually said Taekwondo on them.  It was every night after school which allowed her to work until 5pm and then pick them up.  It kept them entertained.

They are called East West Karate now.

http://www.somersetkarateacademy.com/kids_karate.html

Land/housing is fairly cheap down there, especially if a few acres out of town.  Depends on what type of housing your wife will accept.  Lots of modular built houses on land in that area.  You can rent houses with land as well but I doubt you find many of those listings online.  You would have to know someone who knows someone.

What other activities are you looking to?  Lake Cumberland is near Somerset but is the more river like section of the lake.  Heading south/west you get to the main lake and better marinas.  You can rent boats easy enough if you don't have one.  The lake has decent sized striped bass and a lot of guides that can usually put you on the fish.  If you want a lot of lake time then look to live south/west.  If you want to be closer to the interstate to get to Lexington KY or Knoxville TN, then look east.  Somerset does not have much in terms of restaurants and shopping.  A lot of people will drive 1 1/2 hours north to Lexington to go shopping.

I spent about every other weekend down there for the last 3 years.  If you have more specific questions let me know.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I know the area a bit and have relatives there who are progun.    If you want to know the ins and outs of the area, IM me with a phone number and I will put in contact with some people of the area.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#15]
RacyCarr, will do in a few weeks.

Swire,  I'll be in Somerset; wife will be somewhere, but hasn't found a job yet. Depending where that shakes out, figure within, maximum, 20-30 minute drive.  Which brings the question, how do the roads get in the winter?  I assume not a lot of snow in a typical year?

Activities: I love camping, but doubt I'll have much time for most of this year.  Obviously the Nat'l Forests are huge.  I like shooting (duh).  Kids might be young for karate, but I liked it as a pre-teen.  My wife loves the boat stuff'; grew up in the Midwest with her parent's boat.  Otherwise, educational stuff for kids. Museums, sporting events, random fun weekends.  I realize some of that isn't in Somerset, and that we'll have to drive 1.5-2 hours depending where things are.  I suspect lots of weekend trips/overnighters.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:01:48 AM EDT
[#16]
This winter has been wicked in Somerset.   8" - 15" of snow at times in parts of south central to south eastern KY.

A relative may have a lead on good jobs, (for the area).

Use mapquest to view the national forest as google maps is highly inaccurate.   That's just a fact.

Somerset is right there were Lake Cumberland is, also near the river, and Laurel lake and river.  

There is good fishing and hunting throughout the area.    There are good options for shooting.

There are no major sporting venues (pro basketball, baseball, football,  hockey, and so on) in the immediate area.   Many do follow UK basketball.  

There are not zoos, museums,  science facilities, and related like you would find in Louisville, Cincinnati,  or Columbus.

Some stupid article called Somerset the most ghetto city in KY.   It isn't even close.   It failed to mention Louisville, Lexington, and Covington.   So, it is not creditable at all.   Such info is utterly BS.   The  people behind this specific article are absolute idiots.    There is no inner city in those tiny towns listed.     Most are hardly cities by the loosest of definitions.

There are not well known fine dinning places in Somerset.     There are TONs of places for great picnics everywhere around there.  

The best way to describe it is this.     If you need other people to entertain you, like with sporting events, theater, concerts,  and so on,  it is not  a  great place.    If you are the type who likes to actually do things and can make things happen, it is heavenly.    I have lived all over the state.   I know.  It is all a matter of perspective.    

I would much rather live in Somerset than Louisville.   But, my career field and skill set tie me to major corporations to make decent money.

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

RacyCarr, will do in a few weeks.
Swire,  I'll be in Somerset; wife will be somewhere, but hasn't found a job yet. Depending where that shakes out, figure within, maximum, 20-30 minute drive.  Which brings the question, how do the roads get in the winter?  I assume not a lot of snow in a typical year?

Activities: I love camping, but doubt I'll have much time for most of this year.  Obviously the Nat'l Forests are huge.  I like shooting (duh).  Kids might be young for karate, but I liked it as a pre-teen.  My wife loves the boat stuff'; grew up in the Midwest with her parent's boat.  Otherwise, educational stuff for kids. Museums, sporting events, random fun weekends.  I realize some of that isn't in Somerset, and that we'll have to drive 1.5-2 hours depending where things are.  I suspect lots of weekend trips/overnighters.
View Quote

What type of job is your wife interested in?  My g/f lives with me but her company is still based out of Somerset and her ex-husband still lives there.  So she still has some connections to what is happening in the town.

Generally snow is rare and melts in the next couple of days.  However, this year and last year they got hit by a rare storm dumping 12 inches or so.  Schools and even businesses will shutdown for a day or two and just wait it out.  The problem isn't with the snow, it is with the roads themselves.  When snow will melt in the next couple of days there is no reason to have a ton of equipment and people working to keep the roads clear.  The main roads will be cleared but other than that you are on your own.  The problem really isn't the snow as much as it is the roads themselves.  The roads are narrow, with curves, no shoulder, and the entire area is hills.  In bad weather they are very slow going but like I said a lot of people just refuse to drive in it until it melts.  

The side roads in good weather take time to get used to driving.  My g/f will do 55/60 down them on the way to her mothers, I always drive faster than she does but I don't drive those roads that fast.  We got stuck behind someone from out of state driving down the same road and they would never do over 30 mph because of the narrow curvy road.

The after school karate was more of a daycare service than anything.  Her daughters were 6 and 8 were they were in it.  Once karate was over they just watched tv or had snacks until the parents picked up the kids.

About 5 minutes outside of Somerset is Lee's Ford Marina.  They have a decent restaurant on a hill over looking the lake, it is called The Harbor.  I'd recommend taking the time to eat there when you visit.  It also puts the whole lake in perspective.  Most people in the town don't even talk about the lake or have anything to do with it.  That area of the lake is actually the smaller shallow end of the lake but still impressive.  It gets even better as you get closer to the dam.

Heading south out of Somerset maybe 15 minutes there is Burnside Marina.  Next up on the south side of the lake would be Conley Bottom marina, Beaver Creek marina, and then Grider Hill marina.  At that point you are the dam and the drive would be around an hour from Somerset.  Below the dam is Wolf Creek recreational area.  They have a trout hatchery and museum, a park, campground, boat ramp, and you can fish the river from the bank.  They also just finished a man made trout stream from the hatchery to the river.  It's about a mile long and designed for trout.  The stream it catch and release but everywhere else is not.  

Heading back to Somerset about 5 minutes from the dam you have Lake Cumberland State Resort Park.  The resort is on a bluff over looking the lake.  They have a restaurant that sits on the edge with a huge wall of windows.  It makes the view at the harbor seem pathetic.  It is my favorite view in all of Kentucky.  The food there is good to great depending on the day.  It is run the by the State Park system, so quality is kept up.  The lodge there has a good view.  There is also a game room and indoor pool.  Plenty of hiking trails, cabins for camping, places for tent camping, an outdoor swimming pool, and sometimes horses for riding.  They also have a marina.  The State Park maria has the best events on the lake. During summer they have live music, a houseboat show, poker run events...etc.  Right across the lake from it is the Jamestown Marina.  It's about 3 minutes by boat but 25 minutes driving.  It's a very nice marina that also has a lodge.  Then there is a Wolf Creek marina and Alligator II marina.  Going back to the roads, most the marinas are down long narrow roads that take time to get to.

Sorry for the huge wall of text, just wanted to show how big the lake is. If lake activities are to be common activities, which side and end of town you live outside of will make a huge difference.

This website has recently been updated and provides all sorts of great information on the lake, hiking, and camping. http://www.lakecumberland.com/

There are all sorts of campgrounds and  around Somerset.  Near Lee's Ford there is actually a Arm Corps boat ramp, park and camp ground. That is where I generally launched my boat.  From that boat ramp you can see across the lake to a Pulaski County park which also has a boat ramp, park, hiking, and camp sites.  Burnside state park also has camping.  So if hiking and camping are your thing there is more than you could ever get to.

Mill Springs is anther park with history.  There was a civil war battle at Mill Springs, the park is on the south side of the lake the museum is on the north side.  Cumberland Falls is another State Park with a lodge I believe.  It is a large waterfall and has a feature called a Moonbow.  It's a rainbow that appears at nights when they have a full moon.  

Somerset has a really nice water park that your kids should love.  IF you are into cars there is a Somerset Cruise or cruises.  Not sure, I just know one night we saw about 50 corvettes driving around town.

All other activities you will have to travel for.  Most will be west or north west.  Just to name some things to do. Mammoth Caves, corvette museum, Mega Caverns, Louisville Slugger museum, Thunder Over Louisville,  Falls of the Ohio, Kentucky Horse Park, distillery tours which are kid friendly, there is a paddle boat tour of the Kentucky River at the Shaker Village which is also something that can be toured.

http://www.kentuckytourism.com/

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#18]
You got the keno shooting range and lake Cumberland. Small town USA, hope you fair well on getting settled. They do have a gun show almost 9nice a month at the Center.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You got the keno shooting range and lake Cumberland. Small town USA, hope you fair well on getting settled. They do have a gun show almost 9nice a month at the Center.
View Quote

I get a bit stir crazy, being from LA.  I lived in a town of 17k for 2 years so it can be done.  My wife is from a town of 5k, and spent time in the Peace Corps.  She'll do great.  Running water isn't a 4 y/o kid with a bucket...

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:17:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Big Ole Snip
View Quote

Great data dump, thanks.

Wife is a physician.  Already speaking to the hospital recruiter and looking at some local groups.

Great review of the marinas and thanks for the heads-up on the restaurant view. I'm sure that'll become a favorite place to see.  Seems like a boat is a priority - wife keeps saying it, but talk is cheap and 5 years later we still don't have one.  But talk about kids, and NNNOOOOOOOOoooooooo.... we get 2 of those in 5 years.  Psssh. Female Priorities.  Speaking of which, where are the boats mainly sold?  At the marinas, Craigslist, word of mouth?  Any used/like new places?  I ask because I've seen marinas that'll sell their "tourist" boats after a year or 2 for a good discount, that are still in decent condition.  Given the size of the lake, do most people have pontoon or power boats?

Understand about the roads. S. Carolina is same way - doesn't make sense to keep the equipment and salt on hand.  Just grin and bear it the once a year we get snow.

Louisville Slugger museum is a Must See.  I assume no local minor league teams.  What are the "local" big teams? UK I assume is the big college, but do y'all follow the Browns, or the Titans?  Baseball is what, the Reds?  

I'm more of the "get out and do stuff" type, my wife is more flexible. Getting out can be as simple as going for a hike or jump in the kayak for an hour, or a picnic.   Not taking the kids shooting just yet.  But I'd like to take the kids places and let them see more than just the 20 miles around their house.  Do you know if Somerset has weekend farmer markets, or concert nights, things of that sort?  I've looked at the city website but not seeing a whole lot of that (probably too early in the year).
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Cincinnati Bengals, Reds, and sometimes a hockey team.    Minor league Louisville Bats baseball.

There are colleges all over the state.   UK has branches in Somerset. Louisville is big in the state.  

There are big boat dealers all over.    There are lakes all over the state, beside huge lake Barkley and Kentucky lake which form The Land Between The Lakes Recreation area.   Of course there are  the Ohio an Mississippi rivers.  

There are yard sales and fruir/vegetable stands regularly along with "the nation's biggest yard sale" along route 127.  

Make sure to check out :
Natural Arch
Natural Bridge
Big South Fork of the Cumberland National Recreation Area
Beaver Creak Wilderness Area
Cumberland Falls,  Du Pount Lodge,  the Moon Bow, and  the many trails.
Shaker Village is a great place to visit and eat.   You can even arrange to stay overnight.

It is important to get to know decent good ole boys who aren't trash.

It is a very spread out area from Science Hill to Tateville.    I can't tell where one ends and another begins.

We have 49 state parks with 17 state resorts.     Most states have 4-6.  

Definitely check KY hourse park.   There are some huge events in the region like:
Thunder Over Louisville air show and fireworks
Cincinnati's WEBN fireworks
Knob Creek's bi-annual machinegun shoot

These are huge events by national standards.

Good spicy food is hard to find as is ethnic food until you hit Lexington or Louisville.    I am talking about Vietnamese, Korean, Tai, Indian, Mediterranean, Ethiopian,  and so on.   Yes there are a few "Chinese" places.

Cumberland Gap region is great to visit and close to Bristol Speedway.

Kentucky Speedway is next to I-71 half way between Louisville and Northern KY.

The Great Smokey Mountains are not far along with Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I have  ( a non profit of which I am a part ) host a fish fry, auction, and pig roast in Eastern KY Labor day weekend though it is hard to find as it is near Buckhorn lake in the middle of BFE.

Do note we are a very high class state as we have the following famous cities/towns/areas (spots on a map).

Paris
London
Versailles
Egypt

Along with :

Monkey's Eyebrow
Possum Trot

IF you go to the Big South Fork, make sure to visit and hike the Negro Loop.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

where are the boats mainly sold?  At the marinas, Craigslist, word of mouth?  Any used/like new places?  I ask because I've seen marinas that'll sell their "tourist" boats after a year or 2 for a good discount, that are still in decent condition.  Given the size of the lake, do most people have pontoon or power boats?

View Quote

Depends on type, size, condition, budge, and use of the boat you are interested in.  The lake is long, the main lake itself is 65+ miles long, and Lee's Ford marina is located 6 miles up a "creek" that is 10 miles long.  If you will just be taking out the kids, floating around, and swimming then a pontoon would be fine.  If you want to travel on the lake you will want some type of powerboat.  Kentucky was declared the Houseboat Capital of the World as most houseboats are built in the area around Lake Cumberland.  Every marina is full of them.  They can be purchased, rented, and even put in a program where you purchase them and lease them to others.

If the wife is wanting a boat but never pulled the trigger on it, then it should be easy to get her to come around by showing her all the lake events.  We say the Ohio Navy invades Lake Cumberland every summer because people that far travel in droves to be on the lake.  If there was a job for me near that lake I would move there.  The lake holds the world record for the largest raft up among other events.

In Somerset there is Lake Cumberland Marine which is a large boat dealer.  They advertise on Craigslist along with a lot of other people.  That's where you will find the better deals.  If you have more expensive tastes there are boat dealers all over the state, boat seller agents, and every Marina has a for sale board.  There is a Houseboat Expo at the State Dock June 10th -12th.  Some of the dealers show up there with regular boat listings and deals can be made.  http://www.houseboatmagazine.com/expo  Even if you aren't interested in a houseboat it is a fun activity to attend.

The boat traffic on the lake can get ridiculous in the summer with large boats going very fast, houseboats going very slow, wakeboard boats throwing huge wakes, and the occasional plane equipped for water landings taking off or landing.  I have a 19 1/2 foot fish and ski and I'm a smaller boat on the lake.  I fish in the mornings before the lake traffic hits and find a cove to stay out of the way the rest of the day.

There are plenty of slips at the marinas if you want your boat on the water at all times.  There are also plenty of storage facilities around for keeping your boat if the place you end up living at doesn't have room.

For a smaller and calmer lake, look at Dale Hollow lake or Laurel River lake.  If you end up living east of Somerset you might actually be closer to Laurel River Lake.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#24]
For minor league baseball, you've got Lexington legends and Louisville riverbats.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the last 3 posts.

Don't think we'll be there LD weekend, as we'll be out-processing.  Shame, cuz a fish fry/auction seems like a good way to get introduced to the area.  

I'll make sure to raise my pinky as I'm drinking my 'shine.  I really hope some of my wife's patients offer to pay with booze.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#26]
If you have time to watch the real estate auctions around Somerset that is where you can find some amazing deals on property.  The people that live their already have a house, the city really isn't growing so people aren't moving there.  If the house isn't on the lake there isn't much turn over.  So auctioned property can go very cheap.  One auction I saw was a 1,500 sq ft house with 5 acres about 5 minutes out of town that sold for $31,000.

I've been watching an "online only" auction for a few weeks that just ended. It is an older 2 bedroom house needing to be updated, on 60 acres, with a 2 barns, and is located about 10 minutes outside of of Somerset.  It sold for only $64,000.

http://bid.fordbrothersinc.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/11468/lot/1500630/

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Holy crap.  $64k?

OK, thanks for the link. My wife isn't keen on buying, but for that price we might as well consider it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Just checking to see if you are still planning on moving to Kentucky?  Have you made it to Somerset yet for your initial visit?
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just checking to see if you are still planning on moving to Kentucky?  Have you made it to Somerset yet for your initial visit?
View Quote

Yeah, we went this week; got home on Thursday.

Rentals were a bust.  Called a real estate agent, got a few leads but nothing worth considering.

Visited 4 day cares/schools.  Think my wife and I are on the same page as to which one we're considering.  None of them anticipate filling up, so we have some time to think it over before we commit. Fortunately the prices are comparable across the board.

Likely need to head up at the end of next month and sit w/ a real estate agent.  Been trolling the real estate boards and looking for houses in our price range. Fortunately (unfortunately?) we spent a LOT of time driving around the housing tracts and have seen a lot of the listed houses from the outside.  We took some notes so that should help us narrow our search.

Wife has been working on getting her KY license to work.  Had a job interview with mixed feelings how it went.  Has a few more leads to follow up on, if/when we return next month.

I met with my employer as well as the EMS folks and should be GTG for teaching some classes while I'm there. Hoping I can stop by the USA-Reserves center and get their medical guys trained up as a kind of professional courtesy thing while I'm in the area.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I hope things are going well with your planned move.

I know you aren't looking for land but 83 acres for $62,500 just came on the market.  http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12-A-Cherry-Grove-Rd-Somerset-KY-42503/2098727044_zpid/  The property and deals are out there, finding it is more about timing than anything.

If you need more information on anything or need someone to look into something for you let us know.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I hope things are going well with your planned move.

I know you aren't looking for land but 83 acres for $62,500 just came on the market.  http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12-A-Cherry-Grove-Rd-Somerset-KY-42503/2098727044_zpid/  The property and deals are out there, finding it is more about timing than anything.

If you need more information on anything or need someone to look into something for you let us know.  

View Quote

Holy Jeebus.  Maybe I should just bring a tent and set up shop ...

Was there about 2 weeks ago  - looked at about 12 houses.  Somewhat discouraging. Prices are great, commute time is great, houses are ... hit and miss.  I've got a wife and 3&1 year old kids.  I don't need a 3000 sq foot house, not including the finished basement!  That's a  LOT of house for us,and the upkeep would be killer.

Conversely, the 1800 sq foot houses are a bit cramped with all the kid-size plastic toy crap they have.  Having trouble finding a nice middle ground.

Talking about running up again this weekend or next, 2nd looking some places, and checking a few new ones on the market.  I'm getting worried b/c of the time crunch.  There are homes we've found that will work, but again, a lot of overkill in terms of space.  

Wrecking my Tacoma and having to get a new truck 3 weeks ago hasn't helped things either.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry to hear about your truck.  Glad you are ok.

There are some great values but like you said they are on huge houses.  I have no idea how so many people in the Somerset area can afford a 3,500 to 6,000 sq ft house.  There are not that many high paying jobs in the area.  Lots of 10 year old homes on big lots going for under $70 a sq ft.  

Not sure of your price point, the areas you were looking, or the styles you were looking at but I'll post a couple value listings that I found.  You are right that there is very little middle ground, either 1,200-1,800 or 3,500 and up.  

BTW, here is a link to the PVA site.  It is free and gives you the property details including all of the recent sale prices of the property. The map view will also let you click on the neighbors which lets you compare house size and value.  There is a link to agree to the terms which you have to click to get into the search page.

http://www.qpublic.net/ky/pulaski/search.html

4 beds 3 baths on 2 acres.  It appears to over look the lake but probably only in the winter the leaves are off.  Walking distance to a boat ramp.  Not sure on the sq ft but at least 2,800 could be 3,200 or more. $184,900. That is $66 or less per sq ft.

526 Lake Forest Dr, Somerset, KY 42503

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/526-Lake-Forest-Dr-Somerset-KY-42503/115445986_zpid/]

This is way over the size you are looking at but a ridiculous value.  It's a 1 1/2 story with a finished basement, 4,000 sq ft.  Huge deck over looking the fenced in back yard with a kids play area.  Only $185,000 which puts it about $46 a sq ft.  The PVA has it listed as sell for $215,000 back in 2009.  So either something has happened to the house or the seller is in trouble and needs to unload it.

925 Winding Ridge Dr, Somerset, KY 42503

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/925-Winding-Ridge-Dr-Somerset-KY-42503/2141691912_zpid/

This house in between the two sizes you listed at 2,400 sq ft. with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. Priced at $239,000.  The PVA shows it sold for $180,000 about 5 1/2 years ago and then was flipped for $197,000 two months later.  It won't sell at $239k but it's only been on the market for a month so they probably aren't ready to lower the price yet.  That one is running about $100 a sq ft which is very high for Somerset.

839 Hidden Loop Dr, Somerset, KY 42503

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/839-Hidden-Loop-Dr-Somerset-KY-42503/2116064129_zpid/

This one might back up to the lake.  It has 3 bedrooms 3 baths and 2,500 sq ft. $179.900 which comes out to $71 a sq ft.  It sold for $118,000 back in 2008.  It's been on the market for just over two months and the price was dropped once already.  Not sure of the condition of the house, looks older.  

3107 Simpson Dr, Somerset, KY 42503

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3107-Simpson-Dr-Somerset-KY-42503/123363933_zpid/

May 20, 21, and 22 are the annual NRA convention in Louisville if you are into that type of thing.  It's about 2 1/2 hours from Somerset.  I'm sure your schedule will be too tight to allow it but just wanted to let you know anyway.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey, sorry about the delay in writing.

I was up last weekend, found a few more houses and a few rentals. Unfortunately those 2 rentals didn't pan out, so we're getting seller disclosures on 2 homes. Both very similar, pros and cons to each (obviously).  I start my job in 1 month and haven't even put an offer down yet ... was hoping to have that done by yesterday.

Good news is THIS house hasn't sold. I might geo-bachelor to a monthly rental if needed while the family stays in Charleston until there's a home up there.  Or might go up to the in-laws and have some family time.

Wife STILL hasn't found a local job.  A few offers didn't pan out, and she's extending her driving range. hopefully won't be doing an hour commute each way.  My schedule is going to be varied and variable daily, so the daycare hours are a very real factor.  Not like I can just run out of my job (well, probably could .... once).  

Swire - we've actually seen the first two listings.  House number 1 is about 2 blocks from a dock, the yard is pretty much a down hill slope. The house isn't too bad, but there's some fixer-upper projects, and the upstairs is (if I recall; I've seen about 15 houses and could be mixing them up) 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. If the kids were older, not an issue. As it is, we have a 3 year old that loves jumping out of bed around 1 am, and a 1 year old that's actually a decent sleeper. Given that the master bedroom is downstairs, I can see the 3 year old either falling down the stairs while half-asleep, or screaming bloody murder at the kid gate.  

Second house is just retarded big.  From what I hear, a local doctor has it and doesn't need it since family moved out.  Gorgeous lot, great area, just too much upkeep for our family size.

Number 3 we've missed somehow, but there's another house on the same street we kind of liked.  And number 4 we totally missed, but looks great.  Again, we're eyeing two homes so I think we'll leave it as-is for now.  I'll keep an eye on that website though; we haven't run across it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Don't know if you made an offer yet and just saw this thread again.  I drive by this house just about everyday.  It has been on the market for over a year now.  The yard needs some work, but the house seems to be in good shape.  No one lives in it now and it has been empty for some time.  I would guess that the owner lives in Lexington as the realtor is not a local company.  Might be worth checking out as I would think you might be able to get in it much less than the asking price.  

House

As for your wife, you can email me if you want and I might be able to point in a direction.  Not sure of her specialty but I know a Family Practice clinic in Albany is looking.  

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#35]
So, update.  Signed a rental yesterday, been in a vacation rental cabin for the last few days.  Need to call the moving company and get our stuff delivered!

Thanks for the help and offline advice to all.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Congrats and welcome to the state.  If you have questions on things to do, places to see, or events around the area feel free to ask here.

When it comes to fishing and/or Lake Cumberland here is a good message.  http://www.fishin.com/forums2/forumdisplay.php/181-Kentucky-Discussion-Board  They also have section on fishing reports when will give you the general idea of what is going on with the lake and river.  http://www.fishin.com/forums2/content.php/119-kentucky-fishing-reports-all  They have a report from June 20th, it says the water time is low 80s which is warm enough to play in the water comfortably.

July 17th the State Dock has a Kids Day.  http://www.statedock.com/event/state-dock-kids-day/

August 6th.  Lake Cumberland Raft Up.  Not much to see unless you have a boat but they do it every year and have set a world record on the number of boats tied together.

http://www.statedock.com/event/lake-cumberland-raft-up-2/

August 26th to 28th is the "Ultimate Outdoor Expo" near Lexington at the Kentucky Horse Park.  I went two years ago and there was nothing ultimate about it, I think it was their first year, but there were still a lot of booths, vendors, and seminars to see.  http://ultimateoutdoorexpo.com/

September 9th and 10th. Lake Cumberland Poker Run.  This event has the "go fast" boats.  They park them at the State Dock and are impressive to look at.  The State Dock also has a 21 and up party one night.  If you can find a sitter and get away with the wife it would be a way to do something completely different.  It is sort of like a small Mardi Gras on a boat dock.    http://www.statedock.com/event/lake-cumberland-poker-run-2/

The water park in Somerset is supposed to be pretty good.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks, looks great!

Can anyone recommend an ffl?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#38]
What are you wanting the FFL for?  Local transfers, browse selection, deals...etc?  In Somerset "The Center" has a Kenny Woods gun show every few months.  July 30th is when they have one next.  http://rkshows.com/event/the-center-5/  It is a smaller show but you will be able to meet local dealers.

Outside of that you Bud's Gun Shop in Lexington, a little over an hour away from you.  The cost in gas to drive there probably offsets any shipping and transfer fees.  They have most things in stock.  Then in Versailles you have Centerfire System.  Another huge distributor with a show room that you can purchase from directly.  

For a local transfer dealer I usually use Aim Surplus's dealer network site.  http://www.aimsurplus.com/storelookup.aspx  The list shows a guy in Mt Vernon, about 25 minutes from Somerset that does transfers for $10 if you have a Kentucky CCDW and $15 if you don't.  Kentucky's CCDW permit will exempt you from a NICs check, the state runs a NICs check on everyone with a permit every month.  That means you just fill out the form and you are on your way.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#39]
EE sale, guy needs to ship it from NC.

Need to get on my CCDW too.  Off to Google instructors!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#40]
I would recommend Wolfs Guns. They are always at the show there in somerset and I have good luck with them. Bascially an FFL dealer out of their home I believe which is common in these parts.

Wolfs guns   71 Guinn Farm Road   Somerset KY  6062711871

they have a facebook page as well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
EE sale, guy needs to ship it from NC.

Need to get on my CCDW too.  Off to Google instructors!
View Quote

You can see a list of all the Ky. instructors ordered by county, if you go to the Dept. of Criminal Justice Training website at:

https://docjt.ky.gov/forms/CCDW/CWSheriffsList.pdf

Your county sheriff's office should also have a list of all the instructors in the county. These two sources will get you the same lists, but the website will also show you your neighboring counties.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I think it is called KY Pawn and is on old HWY 27.  Believe that road is now called HWY 227.  They are basically a gun shop now and have both old and new guns.  FFL transfers were $25 back about a year ago, but not sure now.  I always tend to use them as they seem the easiest to work and deal with.  I would not go to Caney Fork ... can't believe they are still in business.  Pauls Discount can also do it for you, but the old guy who runs the gun counter is an a-hole.  I've never used Wolf's but I've not heard anything negative about him but he does not have a store front to my knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I would recommend Wolf Guns also, David (the owner) is one heck of a gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top