Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2015 4:38:40 PM EDT
From NY and dying to get out of here. My wife might have a possible job transfer to louisville.  We are both very conservative and currently live in a very rural area of upstate NY. Can't stand the high taxes here and ridiculous gun laws. Can you folks share any info with me about the area, gun laws, taxes? Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Also love boating. Will be bringing along an 18 foot searay. Ohio river looks fun...
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I was born and raised in Louisville, on the southwest side of town.   Bought the house I was raised in from my parents. Thought it would be a good place to raise my kids.   We moved to southern Indiana in 91 when our kids were small.  I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing that the taxes in KY/IN are much lower than what you're used to paying in NY.  This area is the only area I've ever lived in, so take my opinion for what it's worth. Bottom line has me thinking the difference between IN and KY is nil, tax wise.  One state is higher on some taxes, but less on others, so it's a wash.
 You state that the two of you are very conservative.....politically?   Louisville, which is Jefferson County, is the most liberal leaning county in the state. The rest of the state is fairly conservative.
    What part of town would her employer be located?  Asking because of the various commutes from different areas.
Gun laws are similer in Ky and Indiana.  Ky is an open carry state.  Concealed carry is, I believe, 60 bucks or so for 4 years.  Initially, you have to take a class.
                                                                Indiana has a lifetime carry license for 100 bucks
                                                               both are NFA friendly states.
                                                                If you are into deer hunting, Indiana doesn't let you use most rifles, Ky does.
I can try to answer any specific Q's you might have if you want to IM or email them.
EDIT.....lots of boating opportunities in the area.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Rural, as in raising goats and chickens? Or rural as is you prefer your subdivision in a cornfield?

Oldham county is the place to be around Lou, that is the subdivision in a cornfield rural

Bulliet co is where knob creek is, and there is a nice neighborhood around there that has good lots with hills. That is the goats and chickens rural

Meade co is also nice about 45 min out
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#4]
We would prefer enough land to be able to shoot on/hunt on. However a 45 min commute to louisville would be about max. In a development right now but grew up on corn fields and chicken. Would like some space again. I would need to find work for myself also. I am a heating tech by trade here. Both oil and gas fired  heating systems.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We would prefer enough land to be able to shoot on/hunt on. However a 45 min commute to louisville would be about max. In a development right now but grew up on corn fields and chicken. Would like some space again. I would need to find work for myself also. I am a heating tech by trade here. Both oil and gas fired  heating systems.
View Quote

It will take 30-45 min to get there

Oldham is out.  Focus on Hardin, Meade, and bullet counties,

I am not as savy on the Indiana side but if God made me go work back to Lou  I personally would go to IN, corydon or henryville would be at the top of my list
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#6]
You have a ton of options if you're willing to drive 45 mins for work.  You can't consider it living in Louisville then.

Louisville is very liberal by Kentucky standards.  Compared to the rest of the country it isn't.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You have a ton of options if you're willing to drive 45 mins for work.  You can't consider it living in Louisville then.

Louisville is very liberal by Kentucky standards.  Compared to the rest of the country it isn't.
View Quote

Yup.

Louisville, Kentucky is a little like Austin, Texas.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok. Been checking out  Bullitt county. Definitely seems to have what we are looking for.  How are the schools? Any town with much better schools we should be looking at?  We have a ten year old daughter and 15 yr old son. I like the idea of being close to Knob Creek. We would definitely be looking into some classIII purchases. Hope you folks will be willing to accept a few New Yorkers?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok. Been checking out  Bullitt county. Definitely seems to have what we are looking for.  How are the schools? Any town with much better schools we should be looking at?  We have a ten year old daughter and 15 yr old son. I like the idea of being close to Knob Creek. We would definitely be looking into some classIII purchases. Hope you folks will be willing to accept a few New Yorkers?
View Quote

Sure. Just don't try to turn KY into NY and you're welcome here. I was born in the finger lakes, grew up in Ohio, did a stint in Indiana, settled in Louisville. Local schools (JCPS) are not terrible but they aren't good either. Bullitt and Hardin are quite a bit better. As always, the kids with parents who are involved and care will do fine in just about any school.

Knob Creek is a good place to be. Make sure to check out the clubs associated with KCR; pistol, cowboy, etc.
You'll also be close to 3 or 4 of the best Friends of the NRA programs in the region, we give guns away and make sure kids like yours have opportunities to hunt and shoot.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stay away from that area.  Look at the counties east of Louisville.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Because????

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because????

Bullitt county is meth capitol of the state.  And it's not as nice an area as Oldham, Shelby, Spencer, etc.  Not the place you want to raise a 10 year old daughter or a 15 year old son.  I hate to say it, but it's the truth.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#13]
All of this depends on budget too.

Just stay out of Jefferson Co. I'm here and thankfully my daughter went to school south of here (Hardin Co.). Louisville does have a bunch of Liberal idiots roaming around but someones gotta stay and fight.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bullitt county is meth capitol of the state.  And it's not as nice an area as Oldham, Shelby, Spencer, etc.  Not the place you want to raise a 10 year old daughter or a 15 year old son.  I hate to say it, but it's the truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because????

I didn't really pick that up when I was at knob Creek...or the amazon direct store....or the flea market.... or working in those $200k-$300k subdivisions...

Agreed is not as high income, as the 3 you mentioned...but I would love to see some drug stats that put it in the top 5.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I didn't really pick that up when I was at knob Creek...or the amazon direct store....or the flea market.... or working in those $200k-$300k subdivisions...

Agreed is not as high income, as the 3 you mentioned...but I would love to see some drug stats that put it in the top 5.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because????

Besides, the hilljacks in Ashland would be PISSED if they found out they weren't #1 anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top