Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2015 6:10:20 PM EDT
Two years ago KC3 sued the City of Winchester over an illegal “No Guns in the Parks” ordinance. That suit was settle in KC3's favor. A year later, KC3 members went to a city council meeting to complain about the City Fire Chief prohibiting City firemen and EMT’s from carrying while in Fire Dept. vehicles or any other time while on the job. Both of those issues were resolved and assurances were given that guns would not be an issue in Winchester again.

About two weeks ago 3 KC3 members discovered that the Winchester Municipal Utilities had “No Guns” signs on their buildings and prohibited employees from carrying while on the job. When confronted about these illegal policies WMU officials claimed they were a private company and could do as they please. Of course, this was a ridiculous assertion; it is, after all, the Winchester Municipal Utilities. WMU’s vehicles have government license plates, the Clark Co. PVA office shows that they pay no property taxes, because of a government tax exemption, a search of the City ordinances revealed that WMU was formed by Chapter 14 of the Winchester City ordinances and the Mayor and one City commissioner have ex officio seats on the WMU board. WMU wanted things both ways. They wanted all the advantages of being a public agency and none of the responsibilities.  Once confronted with all of this evidence, WMU removed all of the signs and is, apparently, now obeying the law. We will be watching to see about their policies with employees.

Anybody who knows of any possible government restrictions on the lawful carry of firearms should let me know, even if you are not sure about them. We can only fix them, if we know about them. These things often appear at parks, water co., fire depts., health depts., libraries or restrictions on government employees carrying. They are all illegal and they can be fixed, but KC3 needs eyes everywhere to help find the things we can't see.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks, Softpoint!
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#2]
What about the Indian Fort Theater Area (Pinnacles) park and hiking area?  Last time I was there it was posted no firearms.  I think they might be affiliated with Berea College but not sure.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about the Indian Fort Theater Area (Pinnacles) park and hiking area?  Last time I was there it was posted no firearms.  I think they might be affiliated with Berea College but not sure.
View Quote

Owned by Berea College last I heard.

It is a private "Christian" college .   But, it is one of those extremely liberal places.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Floyd's Fork Park in Jefferson County has a visitors center near the egg lawn. The visitors center is posted NO FIREARMS.

I believe it's owned by Louisville Metro government.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Floyd's Fork Park in Jefferson County has a visitors center near the egg lawn. The visitors center is posted NO FIREARMS.

I believe it's owned by Louisville Metro government.
View Quote

Yes, that building is owned by Lou. Metro and Lou. Metro has an ordinance prohibiting CONCEALED weapons in all their buildings. You can thank Hal Hiener for that ordinance. He voted for it when he was on the Metro Council. Now, he wants to be Governor and claims he is pro 2nd Amendment. Those signs are legal, but they only apply inside the buildings(not in the open spaces of the park) and only to CONCEALED weapons, so if you want to go in, just uncover your gun and go on in open carry. No problem.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It is a private "Christian" college .   But, it is one of those extremely liberal places.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it is private property. They can do as they please.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks, Softpoint!
View Quote

I'm not sure I had much to do with this one. Two other members of KC3 started working on it. One of them is a local and works in Winchester. I came late to this party. I had a relationship with the Mayor from our previous dealing with Winchester and sent him an email about the problem. The signs came down the next day. That was probably too soon for my email to have had anything to do with it. The other guys had been working on it from other angles and the ball was already rolling before I found out about it. These things are never about getting credit for who did what. We just want them fixed. I have more time than most of the other guys, since I am retired and my children are grown, so I get to spend more time on this work. Most of the other guys are doing worthless things, like earning a living and raising a family.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Winchester is a pretty good town. With Mt. Sterling court days so close I figure most of that area is really pro-gun. Surprised to hear that Winchester posted.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't visit Winchester, but I live close by in Richmond. While I haven't seen any illegal signage, I'll sure be on the lookout now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Winchester is a pretty good town. With Mt. Sterling court days so close I figure most of that area is really pro-gun. Surprised to hear that Winchester posted.
View Quote

Some local public officials get elected or appointed to some low level government job in a small town and all of a sudden they think they have been made king. I've heard some really disturbing things over the years. I hate to hear, "My office", "My Fire Dept.", "My Library", "My town". These things belong to "the people". I once had a member of a smal town parks board really surprise me. I told them that they didn't have the authority to ban guns and she said, "We are the government. We can do anything we want to do." If the local governments had respect for the constitution and cared about peoples rights, the laws to prohibit this kind of crap would not have been necessary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top