Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2015 4:36:37 PM EDT
I'm surprised with all the media attention there isn't a thread here on the governors race.  Primary coming up.  Who's the go to guy?

Frankly I would rather see a few ads from candidates that tell me a bit more about them than the usual pandering to the lowest common denominator "I'm fer tha 2nd amendment, love Jesus, don't like them gays, and hate Obama.  Vote for me!"

What says the hive?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Frankly I would rather see a few ads from candidates that tell me a bit more about them than the usual pandering to the lowest common denominator "I'm fer tha 2nd amendment, love Jesus, don't like them gays, and hate Obama.  Vote for me!"
View Quote

That's pretty much all anyone has to say to win though.  Unfortunately, generic pandering works really really well in this state.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I know Drew Curtis personally, he's running as an independent, comes from background in internet and communications. He's more liberal than conservative but he's a decent guy and is fairly anti big gov. Gonna wait to see what his platform and stance on some key issues are before I say he'll get my vote. He should have much better chance than typical independents due to his connections, probably still not much chance.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know Drew Curtis personally, he's running as an independent, comes from background in internet and communications. He's more liberal than conservative but he's a decent guy and is fairly anti big gov. Gonna wait to see what his platform and stance on some key issues are before I say he'll get my vote. He should have much better chance than typical independents due to his connections, probably still not much chance.
View Quote

Since Mr Curtis is an independent, he won't be on the ballot on Tuesday. We have until November to learn all about him. Jack Conway is a shoe in for the Dems. The republicans have 4 candidates and that is the only race in question. Here is a copy of a post that I made a couple of days ago on Opencarry.org. The question was which of the THREE Republican candidates was the most gun friendly:

There are FOUR republican candidates. I think the easiest question and what the real question should be which is, which of them is the LEAST gun friendly. The answer to that is Hal Heiner. Bevin is very outspokenly pro gun, Will T. Scott (#4 on the list) is a strict Constitutionist and caries all the time himself. Comer is a solid conservative with strong pro gun feelings. Hiener was a member of the Louisville Metro Council and voted in favor of Lou. Metro's "No Concealed weapons" ordinance.

I could live with any of the three pro gun candidates. The problem is, as I see it, that Heiner is a wealthy Jefferson Co. establishment RINO. He will get all of the "Country Club Republican" vote. The other 3 will split the remaining votes three ways. This could allow Heiner to take the election. Scott has no chance. I wish he'd drop out and then the people that would have voted for him (a small number) could make up their minds between Bevin and Comer. I suppose that Bevin is the MOST pro gun, but Comer is a good man and will listen to good sense, even if it contains new information for him. What we don't need is a general election in November between Jack Conway and Hal Heiner. Why even bother to vote? They are very much alike. I'll be voting for Bevin on Tuesday, I think he is the best man and has the best chance to win in November.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I also think Bevin is the best choice out of the four.  Can't imagine Career Politician Conway in office as Gov a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Since Mr Curtis is an independent, he won't be on the ballot on Tuesday. We have until November to learn all about him. Jack Conway is a shoe in for the Dems. The republicans have 4 candidates and that is the only race in question. Here is a copy of a post that I made a couple of days ago on Opencarry.org. The question was which of the THREE Republican candidates was the most gun friendly:

There are FOUR republican candidates. I think the easiest question and what the real question should be which is, which of them is the LEAST gun friendly. The answer to that is Hal Heiner. Bevin is very outspokenly pro gun, Will T. Scott (#4 on the list) is a strict Constitutionist and caries all the time himself. Comer is a solid conservative with strong pro gun feelings. Hiener was a member of the Louisville Metro Council and voted in favor of Lou. Metro's "No Concealed weapons" ordinance.

I could live with any of the three pro gun candidates. The problem is, as I see it, that Heiner is a wealthy Jefferson Co. establishment RINO. He will get all of the "Country Club Republican" vote. The other 3 will split the remaining votes three ways. This could allow Heiner to take the election. Scott has no chance. I wish he'd drop out and then the people that would have voted for him (a small number) could make up their minds between Bevin and Comer. I suppose that Bevin is the MOST pro gun, but Comer is a good man and will listen to good sense, even if it contains new information for him. What we don't need is a general election in November between Jack Conway and Hal Heiner. Why even bother to vote? They are very much alike. I'll be voting for Bevin on Tuesday, I think he is the best man and has the best chance to win in November.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the post.  I'm was leaning towards Bevin as well just based off the little I've seen.  He couldn't be any worse than what we have currently.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.

Constitutionalist?   OK then.   Scott it is, for me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
My closest friend and neighbor and I recently had a long discussion about this topic. Once again, no perfect candidate but here is what we thought up.  I have no affiliation with any of these people. We did listen to some of their discussions and mantra and what have you :). Our opinions are:

Scott-No chance in heck of winning.  Seems like a crazy old dude at times, probably needs to sit this one out based on some of his observations and comments.

Heiner-we firmly believe (and some of the associations documented are concerning) that he is behind the woman trying to bring Comer down. Heiner will be another Fletcher. They seem to run in the same circles and have similar friends and would be detrimental to the state. My friend, having seen some of what Fletcher did and who he appointed decries this happening again. Heiner might even bring back some personnel that went away with Fletcher...who knows.

Bevin-Seems good on the outside, we talked to some of his reps, have looked at some of his stances and goals. Reducing state government and implementing some reform sounds good until you look at what he is talking about doing.  He is blowing smoke (and they all do that) but some of the legislation he is talking about implementing has already been implemented and he doesn't know it.  Some of the things he says are broken have already been fixed (state retirement issue ...at least for new employees is fixed).  

Comer-Already been in as Ag Commissioner. About the same blah blah as most politicians, he is pro-2nd amend. , not believing much of the stuff that has come out about him and this past woman. Why does she come out now? Why did she invite him to her events after they parted close ways? etc.  Too convenient an angle that someone didn't get her to talk about something and maybe for money! In our minds, he is the least of the 3 most competitive evils.

Neighbor knows of Conway and his stuff locally so no voting for him for sure.  He has an opponent but no chance for that person getting the nomination.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm voting for Comer, because he's the most sane candidate. Bevin is full of shit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My closest friend and neighbor and I recently had a long discussion about this topic. Once again, no perfect candidate but here is what we thought up.  I have no affiliation with any of these people. We did listen to some of their discussions and mantra and what have you :). Our opinions are:

Scott-No chance in heck of winning.  Seems like a crazy old dude at times, probably needs to sit this one out based on some of his observations and comments.

Heiner-we firmly believe (and some of the associations documented are concerning) that he is behind the woman trying to bring Comer down. Heiner will be another Fletcher. They seem to run in the same circles and have similar friends and would be detrimental to the state. My friend, having seen some of what Fletcher did and who he appointed decries this happening again. Heiner might even bring back some personnel that went away with Fletcher...who knows.

Bevin-Seems good on the outside, we talked to some of his reps, have looked at some of his stances and goals. Reducing state government and implementing some reform sounds good until you look at what he is talking about doing.  He is blowing smoke (and they all do that) but some of the legislation he is talking about implementing has already been implemented and he doesn't know it.  Some of the things he says are broken have already been fixed (state retirement issue ...at least for new employees is fixed).  

Comer-Already been in as Ag Commissioner. About the same blah blah as most politicians, he is pro-2nd amend. , not believing much of the stuff that has come out about him and this past woman. Why does she come out now? Why did she invite him to her events after they parted close ways? etc.  Too convenient an angle that someone didn't get her to talk about something and maybe for money! In our minds, he is the least of the 3 most competitive evils.

Neighbor knows of Conway and his stuff locally so no voting for him for sure.  He has an opponent but no chance for that person getting the nomination.
View Quote

I could live with either Scott, Comer or Bevin. Scott is polling about 8%, so if you are going to vote for him, you might as well stay home. My biggest problem came up three weeks ago during a debate in Louisville between the four Republican. They were asked about the issue of police, the excessive use of force and harassing people that had not committed any crime. Both Hiener and Scott said that we need to give the police a lot of room to do what they think is right on the street, while both Comer and Bevin said we need to restrain the police and see that everyones rights were respected. This question was primarily about police and Blacks, but it has a lot to do with people that carry firearms, too. Police have been given too much latitude in enforcing what they think the law should be, instead of what the law really is. I had never been for Hiener, but had always liked Scott from his days on the Ky. Supreme Court, but he lost my vote right there.

Everybody needs to remember that this is a PRIMARY election. You won't get to chose between all six candidates. You'll just get a choice of Conway and some other guy, if you are a Democrat. You will get to chose between Scott, Hiener, Comer and Bevin if you are a Republican. You can't cross over and vote for the other party. I have met Matt Bevin 5 times, he is the real deal. I have shot machine guns with Mat at Knob Creek. I don't know that he will be the best Governor that Ky ever had, but he is the best of these candidate, in my opinion. If Jamie Comer wins, I could live with that. What we don't want is a general election in November where we only get a choice between Hal Hiener and Jack Conway. Scott can't win, Hiener is a RINO, that only leaves Comer and Bevin. I'm voting for Mat Bevin.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I voted this morning.   No one else there .

Since Will T Scott was available, I voted for him.    Drove from my home in Louisville last night to vote in Northern KY this morning.   Back in my Louisville office this morning.    

I probably won't have a decent candidate this fall and will just figure out how to enter a protest vest then.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Pulled the lever for Bevin this morning.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto

Scott has no chance, wasted vote.  Heiner's failure IMO is his LouMetro support of "No CC"... Comer is another full of shit career politician in the making...
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Same.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Same.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same.  

Same here.  Didn't feel super great about any of them.  Bevin seems to be pretty pro gun so theres that.  Kind of the reason I started this thread.  Wasn't feeling too great about any of them and wanted to gather some other opinions.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Bevin wins by 83 votes! Comer wants a recount. Heiner and Scott way out of the running.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Voted COMER, couldn't get the wife and kid there to vote because of their work or it would have only been 81 votes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Now it's time to unite behind Bevin to beat Conway!  (Conway would be horrible!!!)
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Now it's time to unite behind Bevin to beat Conway!  (Conway would be horrible!!!)
View Quote

Yep.

And voted for Bevin myself. Comer would have been fine as well, but I'm glad it's Bevin just the same.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#19]
What was turnout like?

How much are the primaries and recounts for the Republican and Democrat parties costing ALL KY voters?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Scott is polling about 8%, so if you are going to vote for him, you might as well stay home.

View Quote

I suppose I can do that for the general election or do a write in/protest vote.

May be I can encourage others whose candidates lost to not vote?    That would make for an interesting yard sign.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I just doubled from a mobile device.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What was turnout like?

How much are the primaries and recounts for the Republican and Democrat parties costing ALL KY voters?
View Quote

It is unquestionably reasonable.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was turnout like?

The independent and Libertarian registered voters I know are questioning the primary process. Turnout is extremely low, participation is limited only to voters registered D or R, why are the political parties not settling their own candidate selection process internally?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What was turnout like?
View Quote

Pathetic...  12%  People that don't vote suck.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The independent and Libertarian registered voters I know are questioning the primary process. Turnout is extremely low, participation is limited only to voters registered D or R, why are the political parties not settling their own candidate selection process internally?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was turnout like?

Oh, I mistakenly thought you were referring to the recanvasing requested by Comer.

I do understand your point and think the idea is great.   But, I don't trust either of the two parties to handle it properly.

I think the cost of the voting process could be covered by a flat poll tax.    BUT.... WELL...  We all know the deal with that.   LOL!

Voting is serious business and not enough people take it as such.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

At the polling location I worked, cost was well in excess of $100 per vote just to get the votes cast.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was turnout like?

Not all of us are registered with the big two...
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was turnout like?

This.  Pretty lame that you can't vote unless you register as one or the other.

And Conway is the next Governor.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

At the polling location I worked, cost was well in excess of $100 per vote just to get the votes cast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Four of us worked from 6 to 6, an hour before to set up, an hour after to take down; all for 269 votes. I doubt it cost much, we were using a church for two precincts. What was the total votes at your precinct?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was turnout like?

Why? It is a Republican primary and a Democrat Primary. Why would they want to allow people from outside those two organizations to influence who will represent their party? This election is a prime example of why cross voting should never be allowed.

Turn out in my precinct was about 3 to 2 Republican in a county where Dems. outnumber Reps. 3 to 1. I didn't see much enthusiasm for Conway. We had one Dem. woman that refused to vote for any of them, once she saw the ballot. Jambed up the voting machine for about an hour.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Four of us worked from 6 to 6, an hour before to set up, an hour after to take down; all for 269 votes. I doubt it cost much, we were using a church for two precincts. What was the total votes at your precinct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

298 across 3 precincts.  4 workers per precinct.  5 or so Ind/NP voters turned away.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We had one Dem. woman that refused to vote for any of them, once she saw the ballot.
View Quote

We had 2 of these.  Registered wrong party ot just didn't like the prospects.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

298 across 3 precincts.  4 workers per precinct.  5 or so Ind/NP voters turned away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, that's worse than mine. Less than 100 votes/precinct. It must have been boring. The 269 that I mentioned was one precinct with a total registration of 1376. I don't know the vote tally for the other one in the same church. Of course, 4 other workers there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We had one Dem. woman that refused to vote for any of them, once she saw the ballot.

What did you do with them?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted: What did you do with them?
View Quote

Called the number and they said it's a spoiled ballot, no replacement issued.  I imagine sheriff or someone noted it on report so they know why the counts were off.

It was a slow, long day. Lowest count anyone at the location could remember.  I'm not sure, but I don't imagine the combined total registered numbered more than 2500-2600.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Called the number and they said it's a spoiled ballot, no replacement issued.  I imagine sheriff or someone noted it on report so they know why the counts were off.

It was a slow, long day. Lowest count anyone at the location could remember.  I'm not sure, but I don't imagine the combined total registered numbered more than 2500-2600.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: What did you do with them?

With ours, the blank ballot would not scan. Nobody knew what to do, even our precinct clerk, who has been doing this for over 20 years. Finally, we found a procedure listed on the back of the eScan set up manual for handling a "protest vote". We followed it to the letter (it was only one button push) and the machine locked up and would not budge. We got a repairman from the County Clerk's office, who got the machine working. By this time the voter was steaming and we convinced her to just mark one candidate. She was tired of arguing and did it, scanned the ballot and we all went back to sleep. We though of doing what you did, but though that we'd just have to give her another ballot and we'd then be right back in the same position. We finally decided against messing up the ballot count. Bad decision.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top