Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2015 12:30:15 PM EDT
Does anyone have a blackout flash hider tool I could rent/borrow? Im located in Elizabethtown ky, aprx 10 min from ft.knox and 45min south of Louisville. Just need it for a few days in about a week.
Looks like this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#1]
There are flats cut on the back of the AAC flash hider to allow the use of an ordinary wrench to attach the device to the muzzle.
I've installed half a dozen AAC flash hider muzzle devices using a wrench and rocksette.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah ok cool, its been awhile since ive looked at it. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I attempted to remove my FH today at work using a 7/8th gearwrench brand wrench on the flats. Im guessing its rocksett on with a high amount of torque, as my wrench (open end) just kept spreading, trying to round the corners of the flats. I even heated it with a torch to no avail. The AAC tool will be a must.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#4]
applying heat to parts that are rockset together is not going to work. Rockset is used in application where it needs to hold in high heat areas. That's why it's used rather than loc-tite.

Putting it in boiling water is supposed to help loosen Rockset.

What kind of barrel are you removing it from. Best to use a barrel vise, especially with an AR. If you just try to use a vise block around the upper, you could easily pop the barrel loose from the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
applying heat to parts that are rockset together is not going to work. Rockset is used in application where it needs to hold in high heat areas. That's why it's used rather than loc-tite.

What kind of barrel are you removing it from. Best to use a barrel vise, especially with an AR. If you just try to use a vise block around the upper, you could easily pop the barrel loose from the barrel extension.
View Quote

Thanks for the info, Ive read that elsewhere as well. Its a 11.5in Wilson combat SS barrel. I was using a dpms panther claw vice block. Im asking out of serious curiosity, what the point of a vice block if not for this purpose? Re-assembly only im assuming (or anywhere rocksett isn't used). Ive read that you can send it to AAC and they will remove it free of charge so Im thinking of going that route.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info, Ive read that elsewhere as well. Its a 11.5in Wilson combat SS barrel. I was using a dpms panther claw vice block. Im asking out of serious curiosity, what the point of a vice block if not for this purpose? Re-assembly only im assuming (or anywhere rocksett isn't used). Ive read that you can send it to AAC and they will remove it free of charge so Im thinking of going that route.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Upper receiver block is use to attach delta nut etc. Barrel vice blocks keep torque from being transferred to the receiver when installing and removing flash hiders.

I have had luck using an armorers wrench when a traditional wrench would slip. The flat faces seem to hold the flats on the FH tighter. A lot less play in an armorers wrench in my experience.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Funny I ran into this post ..... I took my blackout off last weekend & man it was like it was welded on the barrel.

I read about the soaking it in water but who has time for that ! And I also read that smacking it with a hammer will
do the trick. Sure you don't want to actually hit you damn flash hider with a hammer ! So ..... I took a small piece of 2x4
& laid it across the face of the flash hider & it took 3 good whacks with the hammer to break the bond on the threads.

Keep in mind that rocksett is a ceramic adhesive. And I also used one of these to do the work with.

Granted I bought the tool from a Co. that the site cannot stand ....
But I wish I would have bought one along time ago .... Money well spent !

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Upper receiver block is use to attach delta nut etc. Barrel vice blocks keep torque from being transferred to the receiver when installing and removing flash hiders.

I have had luck using an armorers wrench when a traditional wrench would slip. The flat faces seem to hold the flats on the FH tighter. A lot less play in an armorers wrench in my experience.

Good luck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

True enough on a regular A2 or flash hider with similar sized flats, but if it's an AAC blackout, it takes a larger wrench. They will tend to slip with the forces needed to break rockset loose though so be careful

I with someone made a barrel type wrench where it had a long handle with a flat T at the end with a flat piece that bolted to it. So you could put the top of the T across on side of the flats and bolt the other piece across the other side so it would hold tight, stay straight and not slip. Also the long handle would give better leverage.  I guess something like this could be used but with the flat side rather that the rounded side in.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Funny I ran into this post ..... I took my blackout off last weekend & man it was like it was welded on the barrel.

I read about the soaking it in water but who has time for that ! And I also read that smacking it with a hammer will
do the trick. Sure you don't want to actually hit you damn flash hider with a hammer ! So ..... I took a small piece of 2x4
& laid it across the face of the flash hider & it took 3 good whacks with the hammer to break the bond on the threads.

Keep in mind that rocksett is a ceramic adhesive. And I also used one of these to do the work with.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4300/9j9zreeu/products/13115/images/33764/armors-m4-barrel-spline-socket-rod-5__71589.1428861850.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Granted I bought the tool from a Co. that the site cannot stand ....
But I wish I would have bought one along time ago .... Money well spent !

I just bought one of these as well, and a AAC flash hider tool. I guess if I cant do it with these im up the creek without a paddle.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Well it's been awhile .....

You get that removed ??
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep sorry never updated. Got the reaction rod and blackout flash hider tool and soaked the FH overnight in water and it popped right off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:21:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Glad to hear !

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top