Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2015 3:21:13 PM EDT
Parents are getting old and want me to care for a rental property they own in (near) Paducah, so I'll be moving there in April-early May.
Don't want to leave Arizona, but I feel obligated to help out, and I'm not really doing much here.

Been there a couple of times, looking forward to doing some fishing, and noted that the laws seem similar enough to Arizona, gun wise.
Any suggested shops, ranges, etc in that area?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what you really want to do.
Fishing? Got that covered.
Gun shops?
Paducah shooters supply is in town,
I don't know if Whittakers store in Owensboro is still open, but it is a blast.
As far as ranges, there are the ones at Paducah Shooters,
LBL, Dawson Springs.
Those are just the public/private ones I've been lately.
Welcome to Kentucky.

Where in Paducah?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on what you really want to do.
Fishing? Got that covered.
Gun shops?
Paducah shooters supply is in town,
I don't know if Whittakers store in Owensboro is still open, but it is a blast.
As far as ranges, there are the ones at Paducah Shooters,
LBL, Dawson Springs.
Those are just the public/private ones I've been lately.
Welcome to Kentucky.

Where in Paducah?
View Quote

Just a decent outdoor range for some centerfire rifle intermixed with smallbore/rimfire.
As far as arms it's mainly antiques. Would not mind dabbling in flinchlocks/cap&ball again.

I'm also on staff for the Big Sandy shoot out here, so would not mind hitting up Knob Creek at least once, though not sure how much arty they get.

And yeah, from the few days I was there the fishing looked great.

The property is southwest of the downtown, northeast of the 24, on Mimosa lane. if you drew a line from Jefferson St. to the 24, you'd run right through it.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Parents are getting old and want me to care for a rental property they own in (near) Paducah, so I'll be moving there in April-early May.

Don't want to leave Arizona, but I feel obligated to help out, and I'm not really doing much here.
Been there a couple of times, looking forward to doing some fishing, and noted that the laws seem similar enough to Arizona, gun wise.

Any suggested shops, ranges, etc in that area?

View Quote
Shooters Supply is a good shop and they have a decent range. Prices are reasonable and comparable to other LGSs I've seen. ETA: I always forget that the range behind Shooters is Jackson Purchase Gun Club and isn't Shooters' range.

http://www.jprpc.club/

Paducah has a Gander Mtn. which is kind of nice to have around for last-minute stuff.
KY Regulators Gun Club in nearby Boaz is a great club filled with great people and there's a shop onsite. I just shot my first IDPA there this weekend. Pistol range, rifle range (out to 600yd), etc.
Whittaker Guns is still rockin' and is awesome but it's about 1.5-2 hrs from Paducah. It's worth at least one trip there, though.
There's a big gun/hunting/fudd culture around there but black rifles, etc. are getting more popular. Just get to know people and you'll find places to shoot.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure about the firearms resources down there but I can tell you the fishing on KY and Barkley lakes is extraordinary. The crappie and bass fishing is as good as it gets north of Alabama.
If you got bored, you could go to Reelfoot pretty easy too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#5]
and i also don't know much about the firearms resources in paducah, but if you're into flat track roller derby they have a pretty awesome team there: West Kentucky Rockin' Rollers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
and i also don't know much about the firearms resources in paducah, but if you're into flat track roller derby they have a pretty awesome team there: West Kentucky Rockin' Rollers.
View Quote

Haha!  Will have to check that out once I'm moved in, just because.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I moved from that area a couple years back and I miss it. Lots of great fishing around LBL. Best crappie fishing I've ever experienced. Find a place called Crappie Hollow, it's across from Wildcat on Blood River. You will thank me. The range at LBL is okay, but it's free so can't really complain. Best gun store I found in Paducah was called Shooters Supply, but I'm sure if you look you can find better. I moved across state and have heard great things about the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot. I've been to the store and seen part of the range, but haven't been to the shoot. The store had a fairly large selection of arms and was the only place in the area that I could find a G34 in stock when I first moved here. You can find videos on Youtube if you want to see what the shoot is all about.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In an unrelated note, the Rockin' Rollers are skating against the Red River Sirens this weekend (Mar 28th) in Clarksville,  Tn. It's a double header with the RRSs taking on Chattanooga at 5 and Western Kentucky at 7.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In an unrelated note, the Rockin' Rollers are skating against the Red River Sirens this weekend (Mar 28th) in Clarksville,  Tn. It's a double header with the RRSs taking on Chattanooga at 5 and Western Kentucky at 7.

WKRR was also just in Clarksville a couple of weekends ago too, skating against the ClarksVillain Roller Girls.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top