Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2015 10:36:29 PM EDT
Looks like my full lifetime in VA is at an end.  Will be moving to the Ashland area.  Anyone got any suggestions for a range in the area and/or good gun shops?  

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome, I'm about 45 minutes south of you. Ashland gun club has a range I think on route 60 just out of Canonsburg. As far as gun stores the biggest is Borders Summit Market which is pretty high on most things but has a large selection of guns, just down the road is Steves Guns with a smaller selection but better prices. Just across the border in West Virginia is Herd Tactical but his prices are not the greatest but carries alot of BCM, Larue, type accessories.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome, I'm about 45 minutes south of you. Ashland gun club has a range I think on route 60 just out of Canonsburg. As far as gun stores the biggest is Borders Summit Market which is pretty high on most things but has a large selection of guns, just down the road is Steves Guns with a smaller selection but better prices. Just across the border in West Virginia is Herd Tactical but his prices are not the greatest but carries alot of BCM, Larue, type accessories.
View Quote

Thanks.  I will be looking for a range that is nfa friendly and hopefully you can shoot steel at.  Any good gun shows in the area?  Charleston, louisville or lexington?  I may be a bit spoiled here in eastern va where you can find 600+ table shows.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think NFA will be a problem at that range, you can't get any more gun friendly than eastern Kentucky. As far as gyn shows, Louisville has the largest in the country I believe. They have shows in Ashland at the shrinners temple but it's not that great, just 150 tables, Knott County Sportsplex has a better show than Ashland about 350 tables. There is a guy in Canonsburg, Jims Gun Service, that I think sales class 3 stuff I know he works on them and rents them but I have never meet him. Also a shop in Flemingsburg has class 3 toys and he is not that far from Ashland.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I know it's a little bit of a drive, but if you're ever in the Lexington area Bud's has a good selection. They also deal in NFA items. Some of the people there are really good to work with. If you like NFA and AR's, talk to Ira. They have a pop up steel range for pistol calibers. I have a lot of fun with my Kriss SBR on it and plan to test out the Quarter Circle 10 9mm SBR as soon as I get it back from the gunsmith that is Duracoating it. They also have some full autos that you can rent. My department at work does some team building exercises there sometimes. We rent out the tactical range and shoot machine guns on the USPSA stages. It's pretty fun. Gotta love a full auto M249 SAW mowing down targets.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Northeastern Fish and Game Club is just outside of Ashland. When I lived there 20+ years ago it was a great facility and there was no restriction on toys with a happy switch.
There is also the Ashland gun club. http://www.agcpd.com/

If you live down river from Ashland, there is another small range just outside of Greenup and another in Tygart Valley. I do not know their policies regarding NFA items.

The larger gun shows are in Lexington and Louisville. National Gun Day shows in LOU (twice each year) are the largest.

I agree with the other poster's comments regarding Border's and Steven's on US60.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks.  I will be looking for a range that is nfa friendly and hopefully you can shoot steel at.  Any good gun shows in the area?  Charleston, louisville or lexington?  I may be a bit spoiled here in eastern va where you can find 600+ table shows.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check the bumped thread on "Ky Vacation Spots" .
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I looked at the Ashland gun club site and I did not see any real info on the range beside matches and joining info.  Any idea how many ranges, length, hours etc?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't think NFA will be a problem at that range, you can't get any more gun friendly than eastern Kentucky. As far as gyn shows, Louisville has the largest in the country I believe. They have shows in Ashland at the shrinners temple but it's not that great, just 150 tables, Knott County Sportsplex has a better show than Ashland about 350 tables. There is a guy in Canonsburg, Jims Gun Service, that I think sales class 3 stuff I know he works on them and rents them but I have never meet him. Also a shop in Flemingsburg has class 3 toys and he is not that far from Ashland.
View Quote

That is Shep's in Flemingsburg.  Great people, love that place.

Morehead has a gunshow in January every year.   Good places to eat there  as well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Morehead has a gunshow in January every year.   Good places to eat there  as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shep's that was it I forgot their name, and yes really good people, he'll talking with the old man is about as fun as checking out the demo guns

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks like my full lifetime in VA is at an end.  Will be moving to the Ashland area.  Anyone got any suggestions for a range in the area and/or good gun shops?  

View Quote

Welcome!  I have lived in Ashland/Flatwoods area for 7 years and I frequent NEKFG.  You can shoot steel and all your NFA toys (I have SBR and a few cans).  Everyone is friendly there.  My only issue is the 400 yard range isn't always open when it is supposed to be

http://www.nekfga.com
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I looked at the Ashland gun club site and I did not see any real info on the range beside matches and joining info.  Any idea how many ranges, length, hours etc?
View Quote

Ashland Gun Club is primarily a competition club, shooting USPSA and IDPA. They also shoot tactical rifle during match days.

There are six ranges, the longest of which is a little over 100 yards.

You will not find a better bunch of people to shoot with anywhere. Also, all NFA items are welcome, machine guns, SBR, and suppressors, are common. Shooting steel, drawing from the holster, shooting while moving, and rapid fire are all allowed.

Club dues are cheap, but if you join you will be expected to shoot some matches and be involved in the club.

Feel free to send an IM if you need more information, I am one of the board members.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Most of what previous posters have said is true of the Ashland Area.  Sheps is great people and great to deal with.  Its a little far from Ashland.  Borders is ok if you get the right sales person on the floor..Ive had no luck throughout the years so I don't go there.  There is a new shop that opened up about 2 months ago just off the Olive Hill exit by the Smokey Valley Truck stop.  Seems to be a great guy and is very knowledgable.  Shoot me a PM if your having problems finding a place to shoot.  I haven't taught any open classes in a while but am working on my range now.  Some of the guys in here have been to it.  Nuthin fancy but it works, and NFA suppressed or large calibers are more than welcome.  

Welcome to the area...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everyone for the info.   We are coming back into town tomorrow night to find a house.   Not really looking for a competition range. Looking for somewhere that has a few ranges 15, 25, 100yrd or more to shoot.   I reload and caste so I work up a lot of loads that I run over the Chrono and shoot for groups.   A place with decent covered benches is a plus.   My current range does not allow steel so I hope to change that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top