Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry that I can't make it on Saturday to help with the set up. Thank you for making this great day possible! .
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Today: Replaced seized idler pulley, alternator and battery in the backup Cherokee. I now have both range shuttle vehicles running! I dismantled a dying picnic table and used the wood to build props for the scenarios. Repaired the lawn tractor (again) and cut some grass. I cut welded steel for 12 more target stands for the rest of the AR500 steel targets, painted the targets and started assembly. I spent a little time designing the fire ring to be welded Sunday. Now off to the store to buy dog food and Joker food.

It's coming together in spite of constant obstacles!

View Quote
Man you got a ton of stuff done today.

I'll be ready to get after it tomorrow at 9 so dont spend too much time over in the  HOTD forum tonight.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Sorry that I can't make it on Saturday to help with the set up. Thank you for making this great day possible! .
View Quote

Seconded.

I've got my sheep shearing scheduled for tomorrow plus family in town else I would head up there and do my best to get in the way and break more stuff for you.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Joker, IM me some directions and I get in in time, I'll come over and help in some capacity.

I'm about half old and half brokedown.          

Actually, I'm Hell when I'm well.  But I'm sick a lot.        
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:44:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'll be ready to get after it tomorrow at 9 so dont spend too much time over in the  HOTD forum tonight.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Today: Replaced seized idler pulley, alternator and battery in the backup Cherokee. I now have both range shuttle vehicles running! I dismantled a dying picnic table and used the wood to build props for the scenarios. Repaired the lawn tractor (again) and cut some grass. I cut welded steel for 12 more target stands for the rest of the AR500 steel targets, painted the targets and started assembly. I spent a little time designing the fire ring to be welded Sunday. Now off to the store to buy dog food and Joker food.

It's coming together in spite of constant obstacles!

Coffee, donuts, yogurt and a fruit plate will be waiting.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Donuts?  

I didn't see no stinking donuts.    We gots jipped!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Donuts?  

View Quote

I offered breakfast.
Per you, "this old man don't need no sugar."
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Today there was a huge turnout for the work party. 3. We got Copperhead Road in and didn't even get to touch the main range. I'll have to get that taken care of in the next 2 weeks. Plenty to do but she's looking good thanks to RacyCarr, Duramax#### and APEMANWITHFERALDOG.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I offered breakfast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Donuts?  

I offered breakfast.

lol
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the day off today. I spent the first half with housework so I could keep an eye on one of my dogs (spayed yesterday).

Then I got to work on the stages. First I walked the jungle lane several times, checking the targets and placing a few more. I saw a woodpecker, some baby chipmunks and a very rare daytime sighting of a flying squirrel. No snakes, deer, turtles, turkeys or coyotes.

Not my pic. This is only the second time I've seen one in the wild. I've yet to see one "fly". The other sighting was about 5 years ago and oddly in the same valley.

Next I went down to the range and tried to give myself a heart attack. I cut brush and Honey Locust (the Debil's Tree). Then I mowed with a 20 year old push mower through thick over the knee weeds and grass over hummocked, rutted ground. After my cardiac event I put up the mower and worked on a mechanism for the shoot. It took some adjusting but now works perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:18:58 PM EDT
[#11]
The time and effort you have put into this is amazing.   One man building a shoot venue with very little in the way of  equipment.      It is wild to realize all of the very hard work put into this.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:57:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The time and effort you have put into this is amazing.   One man building a shoot venue with very little in the way of  equipment.      It is wild to realize all of the very hard work put into this.
View Quote

Redneck engineering!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I had the day off today. I spent the first half with housework so I could keep an eye on one of my dogs (spayed yesterday).

Then I got to work on the stages. First I walked the jungle lane several times, checking the targets and placing a few more. I saw a woodpecker, some baby chipmunks and a very rare daytime sighting of a flying squirrel. No snakes, deer, turtles, turkeys or coyotes.

http://tonypratt.com/wp-content/uploads/flying-squirrels-4-5-2008_040508_2224.jpg

Not my pic. This is only the second time I've seen one in the wild. I've yet to see one "fly". The other sighting was about 5 years ago and oddly in the same valley.

Next I went down to the range and tried to give myself a heart attack. I cut brush and Honey Locust (the Debil's Tree). Then I mowed with a 20 year old push mower through thick over the knee weeds and grass over hummocked, rutted ground. After my cardiac event I put up the mower and worked on a mechanism for the shoot. It took some adjusting but now works perfectly.
View Quote

Had no idea we had flying squirrels around here... that would make my dogs got nuts, given how much they hate squirrels and birds - but combined... lookout!

Drove past Toyota in Georgetown yesterday evening and saw a large coyote on the plant grounds standing on a hill like he owned it watching the traffic go by.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#14]
What are the numbers in front of our names for in the OP? Is that how many beers we have to drink before we're tolerable?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Inverse Handicap.    That's why Dustin has a 4.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#16]

lol.  Also beer, I'm always happy with beer.  4 sounds like a good start to me.

I think it's how many people we're bringing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Had no idea we had flying squirrels around here... that would make my dogs got nuts, given how much they hate squirrels and birds - but combined... lookout!

Drove past Toyota in Georgetown yesterday evening and saw a large coyote on the plant grounds standing on a hill like he owned it watching the traffic go by.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://tonypratt.com/wp-content/uploads/flying-squirrels-4-5-2008_040508_2224.jpg

COYOTES> It's the time of year where they try to expand there territory. I had one hiding in the grass in daylight ~ 130 feet from my front door this week. That night I saw 6 eyes watching my dogs from the field until I shot them (with airsoft!!! The neighbors house was in the background.)

The flying squirrels are present from Canada to Florida in the east. They are nocturnal and rarely seen. much smaller than other squirrels.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What are the numbers in front of our names for in the OP? Is that how many beers we have to drink before we're tolerable?
View Quote

It's actually a rating system of the number of attendees. A .5 means one person, probably. 2 = 2 people definitely. Dustin is bringing his wife and kids so there will be 2-5 of them. It is so I can plan a little better and try and have enough food without left overs for 30 as happened one year. The amount of beer you receive depends on how well you shoot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's actually a rating system of the number of attendees. A .5 means one person, probably. 2 = 2 people definitely. Dustin is bringing his wife and kids so there will be 2-5 of them. It is so I can plan a little better and try and have enough food without left overs for 30 as happened one year. The amount of beer you receive depends on how well you shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gotcha, I'm most likely going to be by myself just so you know.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why there is a "1" in front of you name. You originally said "probably half a day for you and you might bring a friend. I scored that as a .5 + a .5 =1. Your friend dropped out and you freed up the whole day now making your score a 1. See, how that averaging works out?
Just so you know, you'll probably be eating a pepperoni Hot Pocket and purple drink.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just so you know, you'll probably be eating a pepperoni Hot Pocket and purple drink.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I know
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know

I'm considering a "Ladies Tee" for the money shot. What would work for you? 10, 15, 20 yards?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm considering a "Ladies Tee" for the money shot. What would work for you? 10, 15, 20 yards?
http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb300/20060802/WomanGun58281.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know

Can I use a shotgun?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Can I use a shotgun?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know

Can I use a shotgun?

Only if it's a pistol. Maybe a Judge.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know

Can I use a shotgun?

The judge is the best self defense pistol.  You slap the cylinder in and sends people running.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The judge is the best self defense pistol.  You slap the cylinder in and sends people running.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I use a shotgun?

I always index the first 2 rounds with birdshot to blind my attackers and then 4 rounds of 45LC to finish them off.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I always index the first 2 rounds with birdshot to blind my attackers and then 4 rounds of 45LC to finish them off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I use a shotgun?

Tier -32
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Money Shot?

Women?

Heck, I want a piece of that action.   Screw the Glocks.   Sounds like I need to break out the premium stuff like a Python, Gold Cup National Match, and Dan Wesson silhouette model, and hopefully my S&W 41 will keep me from falling too far behind that Benelli competition pistol.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Well..... This is about tier -87. Some things changed today and right now, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it next week.

Trying to work things out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I had better dust off a rifle this weekend and try to recall which end to point down range...

I am still a go for attendance, though I may not be able to stay for the extended festivities as I'm traveling the following morning.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Joker - I'll be in E.KY with the other half's fam this weekend. Should be able to say with much more certainty how many of these hoodlums are going to come after that.

Also will be practicing my 100 yard off hand pistol shooting while stuffing myself with hot pockets as motivation to succeed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:03:37 AM EDT
[#32]
It's all about accepting your wobble zone and trigger control.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#33]
The wife (we're separated and get along much better now) visited today and helped me work on the range.

Copperhead Road is now in it's final form.

On the lower range we picked up debris, cut grass and brush, set targets, worked out kinks on props.

Stage 1 is complete with all steel placed and painted. All targets are placed.

Stage 3 is 90% finished. The props are stunningly realistic (not so much but they'll work ). The shoot house needs a little more furniture.

Stage 2 is roughed in BUT... the range ate another lawnmower. One of many hidden rocks not only customized my blades but also shattered the aluminum housing if on of the spindles. Fortunately one of my previously deceased mowers has the identical deck. It took some adjusting but I got it to work. With luck mowing will be done tomorrow. Then I can move on to gluing many dozen's of targets to their cardboard backers, getting my shit hole of a house cleaned up and get some food prep started.

Oddly one of the targets across the valley was knocked over. That suckers hanging from a stand and is pretty heavy. The only thing I can think of is a deer going pretty good smacked into it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Request: Can someone bring a chainsaw? I don't have time to fool with mine. I'll drag logs up to the house but need 'em made into firewood for the after party.

Request: We are lacking any decent shade on the range. Anyone the has an Easy-UP, Pop-up, etc type shelter can you bring it? We could use several.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I will bring a Easy Up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I will bring a Easy Up.
View Quote

Great. Some of your guns will double as a chainsaw as well, no?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I think the gas might be cheaper to feed! What is the distance to targets on the jungle walk, or did I miss it?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think the gas might be cheaper to feed! What is the distance to targets on the jungle walk, or did I miss it?
View Quote

You didn't miss it, I didn't give it. Since you don't like surprises...All under 100 yards. It's a jungle. Probably 75 yards and under. No sight adjustment necessary. Any barrel length would work.

ETA: Gas might be cheaper but bullets would be funner.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I spent 9 hours on the range today.

The rocks ate another mower deck.

Stage 1 is done and ready to be shot.

Stage 2 is done with the exception Of the ATM machine attack. It doesn't work the way I want.

Stage 3 is done with the exception of a desk, bed and table in the shoot house. I have to make a desk and bed and I'm using the table to glue up targets.

Tomorrow I hope to make the bed and work around the house.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#40]
If you want to knock some trees down I can bring the 50 BMG
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you want to knock some trees down I can bring the 50 BMG
View Quote

I need firewood, not mulch.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I had better dust off a rifle this weekend and try to recall which end to point down range...

I am still a go for attendance, though I may not be able to stay for the extended festivities as I'm traveling the following morning.
View Quote

Leave from here.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You didn't miss it, I didn't give it. Since you don't like surprises...All under 100 yards. It's a jungle. Probably 75 yards and under. No sight adjustment necessary. Any barrel length would work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Us old guys need every advantage that we can get!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, right. You can show the young 'uns how it's done.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Wooo  Hoooo!

It's almost here!

I love the smell of gunfire in the morning.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Nothing's as ready as I hoped but I came close. 2 more days to get things straight. Panic time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Was an estimated round count posted at all?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Im'm taking 210  rounds (5.56)combat load and I might want to try some things more than once so I doubled that.      I am taking a 500 9mm and 250 45acp.   That is my guess.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:24:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Was an estimated round count posted at all?
View Quote

I counted it up once and am just going by memory. About 265 rounds of .223 and 220 of pistol as a minimum. I would double that for plate rack, dueling tree and steel speed fun, challenges,  repeats, etc.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Are you going to hold an umbrella over me while I shoot? I don't want to get my guns wet and rust them shut
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top