BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Know as in acquaintance.  There are a few businesses right there that I've patronized, including one that I hang out at sometimes.  Rumor has it that the guy unrelated to the incident was someone from one of those businesses, some of whom I can guarantee were armed.  With no arrests, I'd assume it was a good shoot.  There isn't much in the news, but the FB gossip machine is humming along.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another body found, possibly dumped, in the south end.

Not far from that, two guys were fighting and popping off shots.  Another guy, who I might know, apparently went outside and capped one or both of them.

Busy day for a weekday.

Know as in like "went to Jr. high with" or know as in like "I know dave and this was a good shoot"?

Know as in acquaintance.  There are a few businesses right there that I've patronized, including one that I hang out at sometimes.  Rumor has it that the guy unrelated to the incident was someone from one of those businesses, some of whom I can guarantee were armed.  With no arrests, I'd assume it was a good shoot.  There isn't much in the news, but the FB gossip machine is humming along.

Is this the gun store?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is this the gun store?
View Quote

Right behind it in that shared lot.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Latest LMPD report for 6th div PDF

Several armed robberies and carjackings. Stay frosty, even in the nicer parts of town.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Supposedly, a shooting between 25th and 26th on Duncan at 11:30pm Sunday night.    A man was shot in the leg... and died.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Louisville Metro Police are responding to a deadly shooting in the Jeffersontown area.

It happened in 9700 block of Hudson Lane Thursday.

ETA 1:  apparently a teen shot in the head.  Facespace comments claim 'accidental'.
ETA 2: murder charges filed against another teen for the killing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Latest LMPD report for 6th div PDF

Several armed robberies and carjackings. Stay frosty, even in the nicer parts of town.
View Quote

Thanks for the reminder to sign up for the report. How else will I find out the people down the street got busted with Heroin and "unspecified" last week?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#8]
This thing was mentioned in the latest LMPD email.

National Night Out (NNO) is an annual community-police awareness-raising event held on the first Tuesday of August since 1984.  The event, organized in part by the National Association of Town Watch (NATW), is meant to increase awareness about police programs in communities, such as drug prevention, neighborhood watch, and other anti-crime efforts.

Aimed at community-building, promoting police-community partnerships, and developing neighborhood camaraderie, there are a number of events being held around Louisville this Tuesday, August 4th.
View Quote

Sounds like an invitation for bad guys to knock over houses with neighborhood watch signs out front.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Those awful cops murdered (i.e. defended themselves from) a poor teenager (i.e. 18 year old adult man) from Florida at the 1st/Jefferson Shell station downtown last night for no reason (i.e. lunging at them with a knife).

From Florida?  I'm guessing fucked-up pill junkie.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Louisville Metro Police are responding to a deadly shooting in the Jeffersontown area.

It happened in 9700 block of Hudson Lane Thursday.

ETA 1:  apparently a teen shot in the head.  Facespace comments claim 'accidental'.
ETA 2: murder charges filed against another teen for the killing.
View Quote

So that's two teens killed within a block of each other this summer.  I grew up in this neighborhood and my parents still live there.  Times are deffinitely changing.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Not even a full moon.

A motorist was shot Thursday afternoon before crashing into a home in Louisville.

Authorities with the Louisville Metro Police Department said the man was shot in the College Court area before crashing at Sixth and Kentucky streets just before 5 p.m.
View Quote

Detectives from the Louisville Metro Police Department said a woman’s remains were found in a wooded area in Louisville's south end.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#12]
There was a fire at Hunsinger Lane Baptist Church, 3 engines out for it. Google News has a link to a WLKY article but it 404s. Anyone know what happened?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Louisville is close to surpassing the total number of homicides in 2014

A murder Sunday night in the Russell neighborhood is the just latest in what is on course to be one of the most violent years in Louisville as the city is close to surpassing the total number of homicides from 2014.

Police say they found Mark Wagner Jr. on the sidewalk near the corner of 24th and Chestnut Streets Sunday night. The 26-year-old had been shot in the head. He was rushed to University Hospital where he later died.

"Tape, police, that was it. I didn't even try to go that way, I came straight in my house," said Latauya Bright who lives down the block. "Between 24th and 26th, it's getting -- it's bad."
In mid-August of last year, there had been 31 murders in Louisville. Compare that to this year, police there have been 52 criminal homicides so far. That's just three fewer than the total for 2014 at 55 murders.

It's only August and I doubt if the teens are going to all of the sudden be on the best behavior for the rest of the year.  It's toned down from the 700% I posted about in the OP, but I think it's safe to say that I was at least on track to see that it's a shitty year.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not sure that the lady interviewed realizes it, but between 24th and 28th hasn't been a good area since around the turn of the last century or so.

You said teens ? Has this been a busy year for teens? I remember the teen shot here recently I believe in the bucheal sp? area. Possibly by "accident". Has there been more I have missed. I am assuming that most of these are in the 20-30 category. No real data to back that up, it's just a hunch.

Apparently we had a worldstar moment here in the neighborhood recently. There was an iPhone filmed fight in the news, complete with a tazer. Outside Cahoots the other night, the fight apparently erupted after closing. I can't imagine a reason to go in that hole, other than to get in some serious BS.

I think a lot of this violence is a result of drug related activities, not all of course but I think the uptick could be due to the crack down on prescription meds, and the resulting upswing in Herion use.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Outside Cahoots the other night, the fight apparently erupted after closing. I can't imagine a reason to go in that hole, other than to get in some serious BS.
View Quote

The Louisville subreddit has had a few posts about Cahoots lately. Apparently the Highland denizens have figured out that there are police calls to Cahoots almost every night, everyone knows someone who went there and got beat up, raped, robbed. Having drugs offered for sale is normal.

But of course the Highlands is a safe place and the same people can't fathom why anyone would want to carry a gun....
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The Louisville subreddit has had a few posts about Cahoots lately. Apparently the Highland denizens have figured out that there are police calls to Cahoots almost every night, everyone knows someone who went there and got beat up, raped, robbed. Having drugs offered for sale is normal.

But of course the Highlands is a safe place and the same people can't fathom why anyone would want to carry a gun....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outside Cahoots the other night, the fight apparently erupted after closing. I can't imagine a reason to go in that hole, other than to get in some serious BS.

I don't know anyone who has actually went into that place since it was Snagilwets or what ever it became after Tewilgans closed. I think everyone in the city knows that place is sketchy as hell.

Who speaks for the highlands?  I live there, no one has polled me regarding my views on OC or CC for that matter ?  I know of at least three other members here who also love in the area. That's a pretty broad brush you are painting with. I would say it is a relatively safe place outside of Cahoots, as far as the neighborhood stance on guns I can't speak to that. The "Higlands" cover a pretty big area and contains a lot of diverse people with all the diverse opinions that come with that. As far as people carrying ...

On Monday I was walking by Cahoots early in the day. It was well before they opened. Leaning against the front window was a guy who could be described best as looking amazingly like Little John, except he was open carrying, right there in the highlands. True story.

The week before I saw a FN 5.7 being open carried in Starbucks on the corner of Highland and Baxter. Nothing to see here, just some guy working on his laptop while open carrying. True story.

A few months ago I stopped in a local owned convenience store near Speed Ave to grab a pack of smokes. The owners young daughter rang me up because her dad was busy cleaning his AK right there behind the counter. True story.

Those are the ones I have personally witnessed recently, I also heard about a couple of guys OCing at a local yogurt place. At least that's what a friend seem to get her jimmies all rustled about on FB earlier this week.

I have no issue with open carry concealed carry or with running a bar, but you have to be reasonable responsible in doing so.  

Random crime is completely random, but a small percentage of crime is actually random.  You can do everything right and make all the correct decisions and still end up in trouble, this is the random dumb luck shit that people rarely find themselves in. Car jacking, mugged in a parking lot, etc. I would say most people end up in trouble as a result of bad decisions that helped put them in harms way. This is probably the case with the Cahoots fight.

Here is my fool proof philosophy on avoiding trouble.

1. Don't hang out with stupid people.
2. Don't go stupid places.
3. Don't do stupid stuff.

You can usually pull off violating one of these rules by itself with out issue. Start violating two of them and your chances of issues exponentially increase. Catch yourself violating all three, better prepare for the shit to hit the fan, cause you are in the danger zone. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#17]
My mother-in-law lives in the Highlands and I open carry there a lot. I post a lot on OpenCarry.org and there is a regular in the Ky. sub-forum that lives in the Highlands. He says that he is a regular at several businesses near Bardstown Rd and Eastern Parkway and is welcomed there while OC. I have open carried at the Cherokee Triangle Art Fair several times. In my opinion, this is the "belly of the beast". True liberal, Leo reading, anti-gun headquarters, but I've never been approached by anyone. I have gotten a few stares and some wide open eyes, but no negative comments. I agree that there is diversity in attitudes about gun possession in the Highlands and that is the case everywhere in Ky., but the % of anti-gun feelings is higher in the Highlands than anywhere else in the state, IMHO. Hell, they keep electing Mary Lou Marzian as their state Representative. That should be proof enough.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#18]
At approximate 12:40am Saturday morning, I heard gunshots ring out in the vicinity of Market St. around 26th to 28th streets.  There were 2, 3, and finally 2 shots.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My mother-in-law lives in the Highlands and I open carry there a lot. I post a lot on OpenCarry.org and there is a regular in the Ky. sub-forum that lives in the Highlands. He says that he is a regular at several businesses near Bardstown Rd and Eastern Parkway and is welcomed there while OC. I have open carried at the Cherokee Triangle Art Fair several times. In my opinion, this is the "belly of the beast". True liberal, Leo reading, anti-gun headquarters, but I've never been approached by anyone. I have gotten a few stares and some wide open eyes, but no negative comments. I agree that there is diversity in attitudes about gun possession in the Highlands and that is the case everywhere in Ky., but the % of anti-gun feelings is higher in the Highlands than anywhere else in the state, IMHO. Hell, they keep electing Mary Lou Marzian as their state Representative. That should be proof enough.
View Quote

So you OC all the time in the highlands with only a sideways look or a wide eyes stare, and that somehow makes the area the belly of the beast. The CAF is an event that is attended by people from not only all over Louisville but als people who live outside of our city all together. You are assuming that the folks that give you the look are residents of "The Highlands".

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you OC and actively try to stir the pot, to put it quite bluntly. I seem to remember a post about going to the opera or a play / ballet or something for the sole reason of OCing there. I actually think you left before end when you didn't get the reaction you where going for. I think you may have a little pre loaded baggage you are bring to the party.

I think you are mistakenly assuming that the residents of highlands vote against guns. Where they could just as easily be voting for or against one of thousands of other issues that we are faced with, I would say like most folks in America the issue of gun control is a back burner issue unless the media is stiring the pot after another tragedy. Then it becomes all the news until another story pushes it off the news cycle.

Abortion.
The economy
The wars in the ME
Education
Healthcare
lGBT issues
Environmental issues
Immigration
Taxes
Freeing the weed
Not to mention local issues.

Etc

Any of these could actually be the issue that makes them vote the way they do. I think you maybe projecting this anti gun vibe onto these people more than they are giving it off. Now I'm also not saying that everyone is going to agree with us on OC or guns in general, but we aren't doing ourselves any favors by assuming that a whole group of people think a certain way because of the location they live in. That is the exact same BS that the antis use. "Look at all these crazy reneck gun owners."  We are never going to have a meaningful conversation on this as long as both sides assume they know what the other side thinks and  labels them.

Also just so we are all on the same page. When most people say "the highlands" they are usually referring to the Bardstown Rd / Baxter Ave starting somewhere around the Wattetson Xway all the way to around Broadway sometimes all the way down to NuLu. Actually the highlands is a five or so block area right around the Broadway and Baxter area. The area commonly called the highlands is actually over a dozen actual neighborhoods and actually a little city or two. So I guess since we lump all those areas and people into a single group based off how we feel about an area it would make sense that we would also lump all of them into a single voter block also off feel.

I used to travel and stay in rural KY WV and TN for work, weeks at a time. When I went to Flatwoods, Blue Herron, or Hurricane I never assumed that all fifty people who lived there were racist gun toting rednecks, even though that's the image that some would like you to believe.  I assumed they were a diverse group of people living their lives as they see fit. I meet some great people in those small towns and I meet some real freak shows also. If I had assumed that it was all good people or all freak shows I would have been wrong.

Also I will add that the next time you are in the highlands I would like to buy you an overpriced beer and we can discuss my neighborhood.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Also I will add that the next time you are in the highlands I would like to buy you an overpriced beer and we can discuss my neighborhood.

Cheers.
View Quote

You sir are a gentleman and a fine ambassador for your corner of the city.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:49:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Cahoots has been a pretty terrible venue for a long time but it has definitely gotten worse since Phoenix Hill closed and that crowd started mingling with the Cahoots crowd.  If someone is visiting and wants to go out I usually recommend Frankfort Ave & St Matthews or Downtown.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:37:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So you OC all the time in the highlands with only a sideways look or a wide eyes stare, and that somehow makes the area the belly of the beast. The CAF is an event that is attended by people from not only all over Louisville but als people who live outside of our city all together. You are assuming that the folks that give you the look are residents of "The Highlands".

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you OC and actively try to stir the pot, to put it quite bluntly. I seem to remember a post about going to the opera or a play / ballet or something for the sole reason of OCing there. I actually think you left before end when you didn't get the reaction you where going for. I think you may have a little pre loaded baggage you are bring to the party.

I think you are mistakenly assuming that the residents of highlands vote against guns. Where they could just as easily be voting for or against one of thousands of other issues that we are faced with, I would say like most folks in America the issue of gun control is a back burner issue unless the media is stiring the pot after another tragedy. Then it becomes all the news until another story pushes it off the news cycle.

Abortion.
The economy
The wars in the ME
Education
Healthcare
lGBT issues
Environmental issues
Immigration
Taxes
Freeing the weed

Etc

Any of these could actually be the issue that makes them vote the way they do. I think you maybe projecting this anti gun vibe onto these people more than they are giving it off. Now I'm also not saying that everyone is going to agree with us on OC or guns in general, but we aren't doing ourselves any favors by assuming that a whole group of people think a certain way because of the location they live in. That is the exact same BS that the antis use. "Look at all these crazy reneck gun owners."  We are never going to have a meaningful conversation on this as long as both sides assume they know what the other side thinks and  labels them.

Also just so we are all on the same page. When most people say "the highlands" they are usually referring to the Bardstown Rd / Baxter Ave starting somewhere around the Wattetson Xway all the way to around Broadway sometimes all the way down to NuLu. Actually the highlands is a five or so block area right around the Broadway and Baxter area. The area commonly called the highlands is actually over a dozen actual neighborhoods and actually a little city or two. So I guess since we lump all those areas and people into a single group based off how we feel about an area it would make sense that we would also lump all of them into a single voter block also off feel.

I used to travel and stay in rural KY WV and TN for work, weeks at a time. When I went to Flatwoods, Blue Herron, or Hurricane I never assumed that all fifty people who lived there were racist gun toting rednecks, even though that's the image that some would like you to believe.  I assumed they were a diverse group of people living their lives as they see fit. I meet some great people in those small towns and I meet some real freak shows also. If I had assumed that it was all good people or all freak shows I would have been wrong.

Cheers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Abortion.
The economy
The wars in the ME
Education
Healthcare
lGBT issues
Environmental issues
Immigration
Taxes
Freeing the weed

Etc

Cheers.

You seem to need a little help with your reading comprehension. I said that the Cherokee Art Fair was the "belly of the beast". Here is a copy and paste from my post: I have open carried at the Cherokee Triangle Art Fair several times. In my opinion, this is the "belly of the beast". Then I said, " I agree that there is diversity in attitudes about gun possession in the Highlands and that is the case everywhere in Ky. It is incomprehensible to me that you could interpret this as my thinking that everyone in the Highlands is anti- gun. I suspect you are overly sensitive to any perceived criticism of your neighborhood. I did say that the repeated election of Mary Lou Marzian as their State Representative proves that there is a majority opinion of disapproval of guns in the Highlands. I have come to this conclusion because Representative Marzian has been so outspoken in her objection to the private ownership of guns and the voters keep her in office. I consider that a reasonable conclusion to come to, but Representative Marzian's district encompasses areas in addition to the Highlands. She has made no such outspoken remarks on any other subject nor does she go out of her way to insult and demean any other group of people like she does with gun owners. She has made her views an issue and her constituents have rewarded her with reelection. What other conclusion can be drawn? She has never taken such a strong position on any of the other subjects you have listed. In fact, on most of them she has been silent.

I also take exception to your assertion that I "stir the pot" merely by exercising my right to carry a firearm in places where it is completely legal to do so. I have been open carrying guns for more than fifty years. When I became of age to carry a gun, there was no concealed carry in Ky. That was a crime. It is normal for me and I will not change my preference just to be politically correct or to mollify some individuals who may wet their pants at the sight of a gun. I am not in the habit of assuming what any group of people think about any subject, but neither do I ignore evidence when I see it just to preserve some illusion of objectivity. People are what they are. I will agree that "the Highlands" is a much smaller area that most people suspect, but I know of no lines of demarcation or boundaries anywhere. I know people that live in Tyler Park, Germantown and even Audubon Park that say they live in the Highlands, because they don't know any better. Certainly, Strathmore Manor is often included in that area. I'm not going to argue with them, you can if you want to.

I think it is a very dangerous situation when going strictly by the law and exercising an enumerated right is considered "stirring the pot". When that becomes a majority opinion we will need to "stir the pot" for sure. If you or others choose to cower in the presence of people that demand you behave in a manner that they find acceptable, you are free to obey their wishes. I will not. I have a concealed carry license and I carry concealed whenever I choose to, but it is my decision and I don't allow others to dictate how or if I carry. I am guilty of open carrying into place where authorities might object to that practice, but I am not responsible for any over reaction that might follow. The laws of Ky. are very clear on where guns are allowed and where they are not. I am not responsible of the actions of others. If they choose to violate the laws, they would have done it when someone else did the same thing and that other person might very well be less able to defend himself from such treatment. If they are likely to react in an illegal manner, don't you think that should be brought out into the public view? This is not "stirring the pot". This is "testing" or "investigating". As an example, what would you do if Louisville Metro passed a law that guns could not be carried on Bardstown Rd? Would you obey such a law or would you challenge it? How would you challenge it? Would you write a letter, phone your Metro Council rep., complain to your best friend, whine to your bartender? Or would you confront the authorities and challenge them to enforce their illegal law? Watch out, someone might think you were "stirring the pot" when, in fact, it was Metro that had stirred the pot. You would just be doing what the law said you could do and hopefully they would learn a lesson that they had better do the same. If we allow them to do those types of things they will eventually do whatever they want. Why would a public official chose to confront any person that was doing nothing illegal? Just friendly advice? Do what I tell you to do, because I am the law? Listen to me, not the law? Do it my way? I can't make a public official confront me. All I want is to be left alone. If they chose to not do that, its not my fault. If they are inclined to do it, they will do it. I just offer them the opportunity.

I do genuinely appreciate your offer of a beer, but I must decline. I do not drink alcohol. At my age, I don't react well to it and I carry a gun every day, everywhere I go. Perhaps we could share a diet coke some day. That would be much better for my diabetes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You seem to need a little help with your reading comprehension. I said that the Cherokee Art Fair was the "belly of the beast". Here is a copy and paste from my post: I have open carried at the Cherokee Triangle Art Fair several times. In my opinion, this is the "belly of the beast". Then I said, " I agree that there is diversity in attitudes about gun possession in the Highlands and that is the case everywhere in Ky. It is incomprehensible to me that you could interpret this as my thinking that everyone in the Highlands is anti- gun. I suspect you are overly sensitive to any perceived criticism of your neighborhood. I did say that the repeated election of Mary Lou Marzian as their State Representative proves that there is a majority opinion of disapproval of guns in the Highlands. I have come to this conclusion because Representative Marzian has been so outspoken in her objection to the private ownership of guns and the voters keep her in office. I consider that a reasonable conclusion to come to, but Representative Marzian's district encompasses areas in addition to the Highlands. She has made no such outspoken remarks on any other subject nor does she go out of her way to insult and demean any other group of people like she does with gun owners. She has made her views an issue and her constituents have rewarded her with reelection. What other conclusion can be drawn? She has never taken such a strong position on any of the other subjects you have listed. In fact, on most of them she has been silent.

I also take exception to your assertion that I "stir the pot" merely by exercising my right to carry a firearm in places where it is completely legal to do so. I have been open carrying guns for more than fifty years. When I became of age to carry a gun, there was no concealed carry in Ky. That was a crime. It is normal for me and I will not change my preference just to be politically correct or to mollify some individuals who may wet their pants at the sight of a gun. I am not in the habit of assuming what any group of people think about any subject, but neither do I ignore evidence when I see it just to preserve some illusion of objectivity. People are what they are. I will agree that "the Highlands" is a much smaller area that most people suspect, but I know of no lines of demarcation or boundaries anywhere. I know people that live in Tyler Park, Germantown and even Audubon Park that say they live in the Highlands, because they don't know any better. Certainly, Strathmore Manor is often included in that area. I'm not going to argue with them, you can if you want to.

I think it is a very dangerous situation when going strictly by the law and exercising an enumerated right is considered "stirring the pot". When that becomes a majority opinion we will need to "stir the pot" for sure. If you or others choose to cower in the presence of people that demand you behave in a manner that they find acceptable, you are free to obey their wishes. I will not. I have a concealed carry license and I carry concealed whenever I choose to, but it is my decision and I don't allow others to dictate how or if I carry. I am guilty of open carrying into place where authorities might object to that practice, but I am not responsible for any over reaction that might follow. The laws of Ky. are very clear on where guns are allowed and where they are not. I am not responsible of the actions of others. If they choose to violate the laws, they would have done it when someone else did the same thing and that other person might very well be less able to defend himself from such treatment. If they are likely to react in an illegal manner, don't you think that should be brought out into the public view? This is not "stirring the pot". This is "testing" or "investigating". As an example, what would you do if Louisville Metro passed a law that guns could not be carried on Bardstown Rd? Would you obey such a law or would you challenge it? How would you challenge it? Would you write a letter, phone your Metro Council rep., complain to your best friend, whine to your bartender? Or would you confront the authorities and challenge them to enforce their illegal law? Watch out, someone might think you were "stirring the pot" when, in fact, it was Metro that had stirred the pot. You would just be doing what the law said you could do and hopefully they would learn a lesson that they had better do the same. If we allow them to do those types of things they will eventually do whatever they want. Why would a public official chose to confront any person that was doing nothing illegal? Just friendly advice? Do what I tell you to do, because I am the law? Listen to me, not the law? Do it my way? I can't make a public official confront me. All I want is to be left alone. If they chose to not do that, its not my fault. If they are inclined to do it, they will do it. I just offer them the opportunity.

I do genuinely appreciate your offer of a beer, but I must decline. I do not drink alcohol. At my age, I don't react well to it and I carry a gun every day, everywhere I go. Perhaps we could share a diet coke some day. That would be much better for my diabetes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Abortion.
The economy
The wars in the ME
Education
Healthcare
lGBT issues
Environmental issues
Immigration
Taxes
Freeing the weed

Etc

Cheers.

I could very well be sensitive about blanket statements about my neighborhood. People love to say this about the highlands and that about the highlands. Highlands people think this or they think that. Highlands people do this or they do that. Look like this or like that. It's sorta like anti gun people talking about gun people. What they are really saying is I think they are like this, or I think they are like that. It's forming a black and white opinion on something that they have little to no experience with, and that's just intellectually dishonest at best and completely propoganda at the worst.

Here is a fact to add to your political analysis of the highlands. Less than 40% of eligible voters actually voter last cycle. Of that 40% a slight majority voted for the Marz. So your analysis of the highlands residents political views are based off less than half of those that are even eligible to cast a vote. I don't think that exactally constitutes the will of the people. I would say that the majority of residents in the highlands don't care enough about either party to actually vote for one or the other.

Here is another thing to think about when talking about the highlands. Most of the people you bump into on bardstown or Baxter at any given time are not actually from the area. It's the area of Louisville where everyone comes to eat,drink, shop, see and be seen. The people you see come from fern creek and PRP, taylorsville and j town. It's a mix of neighborhoods and people.

Frankly I'm sick of hearing blanket statements about people period. I really have a hard time taking anyone seriously that uses blanket statements about these kind of people or those kind of people. I don't care which group of those people you are referring to. Gays, atheists, Christians, gun owners, Amish doesn't matter. You are wrong. WRONG.

As for the stirring the pot statement.  I am not implying that you are stirring the pot by going about your life legally carrying a open firearm. Going places that you want to go and doing things that you want to do while legally OCing isn't stiring the pot. On the other hand I do believe that going somewhere you have no desire to go just to OC there is. You can call it testing probing investigating or what ever, it is in my opinion stiring the pot. You are well with in your legal rights to do so and I support your right to do it, but I don't understand what the end game of that is. If you feel that it is your calling to do that then I will support your right to do so, but that doesn't change my opinion on the matter of it being "stirring the pot".

I am sorry if "stiring the pot" seemed like an attack it was not meant as such. It was a reference to a specific event that I though you had shared in the past. I'm on my phone so in not going to both finding that thread I'm referring to. I was trying to illustrate that when you have a preconceived opinion about things places and people it tints your perception. When we see the world a certain way it affects the way the world sees us and how we perceive things around us.

I don't do diet but I will have a regular cola and I don't even care if you OC.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I could very well be sensitive about blanket statements about my neighborhood. People love to say this about the highlands and that about the highlands. Highlands people think this or they think that. Highlands people do this or they do that. Look like this or like that. It's sorta like anti gun people talking about gun people. What they are really saying is I think they are like this, or I think they are like that. It's forming a black and white opinion on something that they have little to no experience with, and that's just intellectually dishonest at best and completely propoganda at the worst.

Here is a fact to add to your political analysis of the highlands. Less than 40% of eligible voters actually voter last cycle. Of that 40% a slight majority voted for the Marz. So your analysis of the highlands residents political views are based off less than half of those that are even eligible to cast a vote. I don't think that exactally constitutes the will of the people. I would say that the majority of residents in the highlands don't care enough about either party to actually vote for one or the other.

Here is another thing to think about when talking about the highlands. Most of the people you bump into on bardstown or Baxter at any given time are not actually from the area. It's the area of Louisville where everyone comes to eat,drink, shop, see and be seen. The people you see come from fern creek and PRP, taylorsville and j town. It's a mix of neighborhoods and people.

Frankly I'm sick of hearing blanket statements about people period. I really have a hard time taking anyone seriously that uses blanket statements about these kind of people or those kind of people. I don't care which group of those people you are referring to. Gays, atheists, Christians, gun owners, Amish doesn't matter. You are wrong. WRONG.

As for the stirring the pot statement.  I am not implying that you are stirring the pot by going about your life legally carrying a open firearm. Going places that you want to go and doing things that you want to do while legally OCing isn't stiring the pot. On the other hand I do believe that going somewhere you have no desire to go just to OC there is. You can call it testing probing investigating or what ever, it is in my opinion stiring the pot. You are well with in your legal rights to do so and I support your right to do it, but I don't understand what the end game of that is. If you feel that it is your calling to do that then I will support your right to do so, but that doesn't change my opinion on the matter of it being "stirring the pot".

I am sorry if "stiring the pot" seemed like an attack it was not meant as such. It was a reference to a specific event that I though you had shared in the past. I'm on my phone so in not going to both finding that thread I'm referring to. I was trying to illustrate that when you have a preconceived opinion about things places and people it tints your perception. When we see the world a certain way it affects the way the world sees us and how we perceive things around us.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Abortion.
The economy
The wars in the ME
Education
Healthcare
lGBT issues
Environmental issues
Immigration
Taxes
Freeing the weed

Etc

Cheers.

I think this has gone on long enough that we both have had our say and neither of us is going to change the others opinion, but since you mention an "end game", I'll tell you what mine is. The end game is to get our government officials to obey the law and desensitize the public to the presence of firearms in everyday life. Most people only see firearms in the movies or on TV and only see them used for violence against other people. They don't realize that they can be used for legitimate self defense. When enough people open carry without any harm coming to others this will change. Government officials, including police, are my biggest problems. There is little need to open carry in my hometown, it was straightened out long ago. City Hall,  County Courthouse, police station, Sheriff's office, parks system are all OK with open carry. Most merchants have no problem with it. My bank took down their "No Guns" signs. The local Goodyear store was the last one to take down their signs, it took me over three years to get it done. My work is done here. I go where there is work to do, not to stir any pots. Louisville and the Highlands is fertile ground for me. I picked the Bardstown Rd. line to ride as a test of Tarc's compliance with the law because I thought it would be more informative, not to stir a pot. The end game is constitutional carry and everybody respecting it. If the Highlands had a 40% voter turnout at the any recent election it would surprise me. The precinct where I work for each election has had more like 20%. The apathy is disheartening. Never did I think that every single person in the Highlands thought the same thing about any subject. I can't believe that you really think that I do. If you care to join in, I'll be open carrying at Worldfest this weekend at the Belvedere and at the WEBN fireworks display in Cincinnati/Newport on Sunday. Fertile ground, indeed.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:19:50 AM EDT
[#25]
http://www.wdrb.com/story/29865131/louisville-man-arrested-for-multiple-convenience-store-robberies
https://www.wdrb.com/story/29865131/louisville-man-arrested-for-multiple-convenience-store-robberies
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:30:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think this has gone on long enough that we both have had our say and neither of us is going to change the others opinion, but since you mention an "end game", I'll tell you what mine is. The end game is to get our government officials to obey the law and desensitize the public to the presence of firearms in everyday life. Most people only see firearms in the movies or on TV and only see them used for violence against other people. They don't realize that they can be used for legitimate self defense. When enough people open carry without any harm coming to others this will change. Government officials, including police, are my biggest problems. There is little need to open carry in my hometown, it was straightened out long ago. City Hall,  County Courthouse, police station, Sheriff's office, parks system are all OK with open carry. Most merchants have no problem with it. My bank took down their "No Guns" signs. The local Goodyear store was the last one to take down their signs, it took me over three years to get it done. My work is done here. I go where there is work to do, not to stir any pots. Louisville and the Highlands is fertile ground for me. I picked the Bardstown Rd. line to ride as a test of Tarc's compliance with the law because I thought it would be more informative, not to stir a pot. The end game is constitutional carry and everybody respecting it. If the Highlands had a 40% voter turnout at the any recent election it would surprise me. The precinct where I work for each election has had more like 20%. The apathy is disheartening. Never did I think that every single person in the Highlands thought the same thing about any subject. I can't believe that you really think that I do. If you care to join in, I'll be open carrying at Worldfest this weekend at the Belvedere and at the WEBN fireworks display in Cincinnati/Newport on Sunday. Fertile ground, indeed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Abortion.
The economy
The wars in the ME
Education
Healthcare
lGBT issues
Environmental issues
Immigration
Taxes
Freeing the weed

Etc

Cheers.

Thanks for the explanation, and for the food for thought. Before we drop this subject. Although I never OC and rarely CC, I want to make it clear that I support people and their choices to OC and CC, but I think I will have to pass on worldfest ,I have to paint a rental house this weekend, again.  My apprehension about your particular situation is that I try to never come into contact with the police if I can help it, your method would put me in a position that would invite the man into my life. I'm not willing to risk that.

I really didn't think that a single conversation is going to change anyone stance on anything, but an open dialogue goes a lot further to changing minds than automatic assumption that you already know what the other side is thinking and doing.  Any who, it's been informative talking to you and that invite for a diet cola is real and an open offer.

Please stay safe out there doing your thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks for the explanation, and for the food for thought. Before we drop this subject. Although I never OC and rarely CC, I want to make it clear that I support people and their choices to OC and CC, but I think I will have to pass on worldfest ,I have to paint a rental house this weekend, again.  My apprehension about your particular situation is that I try to never come into contact with the police if I can help it, your method would put me in a position that would invite the man into my life. I'm not willing to risk that.

I really didn't think that a single conversation is going to change anyone stance on anything, but an open dialogue goes a lot further to changing minds than automatic assumption that you already know what the other side is thinking and doing.  Any who, it's been informative talking to you and that invite for a diet cola is real and an open offer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Abortion.
The economy
The wars in the ME
Education
Healthcare
lGBT issues
Environmental issues
Immigration
Taxes
Freeing the weed

Etc

Cheers.

For me, a day without being contacted by the police is almost a waste of my time. Thanks for your good wishes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Maybe you both could start a separate thread on carrying across the state, if there isn't one already?

I see some are still posting about crime in the Louisville.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Maybe you both could start a separate thread on carrying across the state, if there isn't one already?

View Quote

Thanks for your concern but I think we are wrapping our discussion up.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I think we are, too. If that turns out to be wrong, you always have the option to not read them. By the way, TheWenisPrinkle, I was at the Highlands Festival last Saturday for over 3 hours. I was open carrying and didn't get a single negative comment. In fact, I got several "thank you's" and other positive remarks. I even intentionally started a few conversations with LMPD officers just to see their reaction. There was no reaction at all. Maybe I was wrong about the attitude toward guns in the Highlands or maybe it has changed. I'll be at WorldFest, downtown, this weekend and, of course, I will be open carrying. A friend of mine was open carrying at the Greater's Ice Cream on Bardstown Rd. last week. A customer called LMPD. When they arrived, they asked the employees if they had called and were told "No, he's OK". The police left without even speaking to the guy. This would not happen without them being "educated" by activists.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#33]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#34]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 3:02:48 AM EDT
[#35]
woman's body was found at 40th and Broadway around 7:30 p.m. Friday, according to Louisville Metro Police Department spokesperson Alicia Smiley.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, I think we are, too. If that turns out to be wrong, you always have the option to not read them. By the way, TheWenisPrinkle, I was at the Highlands Festival last Saturday for over 3 hours. I was open carrying and didn't get a single negative comment. In fact, I got several "thank you's" and other positive remarks. I even intentionally started a few conversations with LMPD officers just to see their reaction. There was no reaction at all. Maybe I was wrong about the attitude toward guns in the Highlands or maybe it has changed. I'll be at WorldFest, downtown, this weekend and, of course, I will be open carrying. A friend of mine was open carrying at the Greater's Ice Cream on Bardstown Rd. last week. A customer called LMPD. When they arrived, they asked the employees if they had called and were told "No, he's OK". The police left without even speaking to the guy. This would not happen without them being "educated" by activists.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to hear that, hope you had a great time. I thought attendence was a little light this time, prolly due to me not serving on the board this time. Lol.

I was also there last Saturday, not that I have a choice in the matter, but I didn't see you or anyone else OCing. I still owe you that diet soda BTW. I don't think you where wrong so much as you weren't totally correct.

I wear a lot of gun related shirts and hats., I'm a sucker for a free shirt or hat, but that's beside the point. When I'm walking around the neighborhood wearing Freedom Munitions t shirt I don't get a standing ovation when I walk into a place, but more often than not someone will make it a point to confess that they are also a gun person. It's usually followed with a statement about "there sure isn't many of us in the neighborhood."  I don't think I have ever had that same reaction elsewhere. Literally this happens almost daily if I'm wearing something that could be considered progun. When I first moved in the neighborhood I thought it was strange but now I have become use to it.

Opinions on guns are like most opinions. There are extremes on both sides but most American are in the middle somewhere. We are a nation of the middle governed by the extremes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
[Deleted]
View Quote

I must say I'm more than a little disappointed that I didn't get to read this.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Knock Out Game Isn't Real
It's just something evil racists made up to demonize urban youths.
Right?  That's what the media tries selling?  Big city stuff.

Police interview reveals motive behind brutal attack of homeless man
Suspect says beating of homeless man was a 'game'

A newly released police interview sheds light on the motive behind a brutal beating that nearly killed a homeless man in Louisville.

A suspect told police that the attack was part of a game that he and his friends liked to play called Knock-Out, or KO.

Andre Richards and two 15-year-olds were arrested in June for the assault.

Richards told police that he and his friends liked to play Knock-Out, which involved beating random victims until they lost consciousness.

In the police interview, the detective asked Richards: “Why did they pick that person, just because he was there?”

“Yeah, because he was the only one on the trail,” Richards replied.

“One of them walked up on ... the white dude, hit him from behind, white boy grabbed him, that's when one of the twins gave him another two punches. That's when he fell. One of them grabbed a bottle, threw it at him," Richards said.  He said they stomped on the victim's head and fled when they saw a car approaching.
View Quote

"White boy" picked "at random" because he was by himself and the animals figured they could win.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#39]
And, sure to be an ARFCOM favorite...

Burglar gets away during police chase in Portland; neighbor's dog shot

A burglary suspect gets away and a neighbors dog is shot during a foot-chase in the Portland neighborhood.

Police were called Tuesday afternoon after a teen broke into Brandis Pepper's home through a window.
View Quote

Fuckin' teens.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#40]
More of these doggone teens!

http://www.wlky.com/news/police-investigating-shooting-on-vermont-avenue/35397120

Police said four teens were arrested Monday afternoon in connection with a shooting on Vermont Avenue.  A man was found in an alley behind 3843 Vermont Avenue with a gunshot wound.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#41]
link

Somebody somewhere was shot sometime.  Then he was somewhere else.  He is probably in some condition.  Maybe.  Thanks, WLKY,
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
link

Somebody somewhere was shot sometime.  Then he was somewhere else.  He is probably in some condition.  Maybe.  Thanks, WLKY,
View Quote

Thats some good journalisming right there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Another problem with Louisville in the downtown/old Louisville/North of UL campus area is the sheer amount of bums, drunks and crazies.  People literally passed out drunk half way in the road mid-day. Unstable lunatics roam the streets mostly along Broadway near the hospitals. The building of all these homeless shelters has just inspired bums from other areas to move here and be bums.

The sign beggers have spread out throughout the entire city. I doubt many of these are homeless judging by the way they dress. The police have been running them off, but now they make small concealable signs that they quickly roll up as soon as they see a police car.

The garbage, next time your stopped on an exit ramp take a look around. The garbage throw their trash onto the streets and into the grass throughout the city. Its absolutely ridiculous. When the city sends someone out to clean it there is like a full trash bag every 10ft.

Every time I go into the city I am thankful that I do not live there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Liquor store clerk plugs armed dirtbag trying to rob store

link
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#45]
?#?LMPD? says a black male is dead after being shot in the 1100 block of South 3rd Street around 9:30 tonight. The victim was taken to University Hospital where he died. #Louisville
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Liquor store clerk plugs armed dirtbag trying to rob store

link
View Quote

Good shoot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#47]
http://www.wdrb.com/story/30134600/gun-shop-owner-accused-of-shooting-two-brothers-claims-self-defense

Charges filed in the shooting that happened at Hard Shell back in July. The situation is confusing and the way the local news people write isn't making it any clearer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:20:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
http://www.wdrb.com/story/30134600/gun-shop-owner-accused-of-shooting-two-brothers-claims-self-defense

Charges filed in the shooting that happened at Hard Shell back in July. The situation is confusing and the way the local news people write isn't making it any clearer.
View Quote

My guess...

The brothers got into it on the property of the gunshop.    The owner went to investigate.   The brothers turned their attention to the owner.   The owner then smoked both of them.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Yeah that is a really strange sounding situation.  Always best to stay out of people's business unless they're directly threatening you but I feel like we probably don't have the whole story with this one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#50]
BAN TEENS!!!

Teens arrested, charged with attempted robbery, attempted murder of officer

LOUISVILLE, Ky. —Things nearly turned deadly Thursday night in Jeffersontown as a father tried to buy a cellphone for his daughter.

Police said two teens posted an ad online for an iPhone that was for sale.

When the buyer met them on Stoneybrook Drive, he said the teenagers demanded cash and would not give him the cellphone.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top