Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2015 1:01:44 PM EDT
Say it aint so!
Stopped by to buy a new ball cap and they were gone...

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
To be honest I thought they had closed a while back.  Remember when they were big in the 90s before the internet came about.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember the store they had at Mall St. Matthews.
It seemed to always be packed.  How things have
changed..

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
changed..

View Quote

Damn that would have been a good time to be alive. I'd have a reason to go to the mall!

The secret to success at Mall St. Matthews is to have the exact same shop on the other side of the freeway at Oxmoor.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Damn that would have been a good time to be alive. I'd have a reason to go to the mall!

The secret to success at Mall St. Matthews is to have the exact same shop on the other side of the freeway at Oxmoor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
changed..

Thats no secret.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
DANGIT!  Always something I needed there...
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Shortly after I married my first wife, we lived in the neighborhood behind the store. They used to get a lot of my money.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I use to love going in there...but that was some time back...and the world has changed.....
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was a kid, it was a good day when I got home from school and there was a U.S. Cavalry catalog in the mailbox.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use to love going in there...but that was some time back...and the world has changed.....
View Quote

Yes it has, $85 SKS's, AK's for $150, 7.62X39 for $100/k, . Lots of changes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:47:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I only knew then how prices would be now.....
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#13]
US CAV prices were terrible.  I've been in there dozens of times, but the only time I've ever bought anything was when they had the twice a year warehouse clearance sale around Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot.

I got some great deals then, but regular prices on anything were 20% more than online retailers.  Yes, I understand overhead, but high overhead for a retailer isn't the problem of the consumer.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
To be honest I thought they had closed a while back.  Remember when they were big in the 90s before the internet came about.
View Quote

We use to have 2 here. Now we just have one... and I think the only reason *that* one is still open is because it's directly across the road from the army base.  Even then I suspect it's hurting a bit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I miss being able to order online then that next day (same day if you ordered early enough) and picking up your order at the warehouse on Joe prather.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I asked one of the remaining Army Surplus stores there what happened to US Cav.
They said someone had bought them out and then something went down the toilet with that company.  So they closed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I asked one of the remaining Army Surplus stores there what happened to US Cav.
They said someone had bought them out and then something went down the toilet with that company.  So they closed.
View Quote

I wonder if that goes for all the stores and the website.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#19]
The one store they had here by the Oak Grove WalMart was pretty good. Could even find a good deal on quality stuff marked down from time to time. Sad when they closed that one.

Their bigger store across the street from FT Campbell Gate 4 is still open as far as I can tell. Never found much in there that I wanted and what few good things they had were typically high priced. Seems they are mainly a name tape/embroidery operation now. I rarely stop in there anymore. A soldier in my unit told me about a pair of boots she ordered from them on-line that she never received. When she contacted them they told her they were in Bankruptcy and if she wanted a refund they could add her to the list of creditors. This was over a year ago. What a shitty thing to do to a soldier.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#20]
As far as I was told, that one store at Ft. Campbell is the only one open. that's just hearsay of course.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I drove by the FT Campbell store yesterday (superbowl Sunday) and their "open" sign was on and I saw a customer walking out the door.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I was in there just a few weeks before they closed. It was a shadow of it's former glory. Of course, they've been going downhill for years.
As BPR said, the warehouse clearance sales were the only time it was worth stopping by. Good times...

Speaking of the Ft. Campbell area market, are there many surplus/"tactical" shops left there?
I haven't been there in a couple years and would like to make a "surplus run" sometime.
The surplus stores in Radcliff have gone downhill since the base changes. Pretty slim pickings these days. I didn't want to make the long trip to Ft. Campbell, only to find it's dead as well.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We have more Milsurp/Tacticool stores than we have ever had. Also, there are plenty of gun shops too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

We have more Milsurp/Tacticool stores than we have ever had. Also, there are plenty of gun shops too.

Cool. I really appreciate the info. I'll have to gather some friends and make the pilgrimage.

thanks again
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#25]
And at least one shop that is both a gun store and surplus gear.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn, that was about the only good thing about going to Ft Knox. Never thought that place would go out of biz. Surplus stores have really fallen on hard times.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Really, Chris? A shameless plug for Gun and Knife Country, located on Ft Campbell Blvd in Oak Grove near Gate 6? A Glock Blue Label dealer and SOT with several transferable machine guns in stock?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And at least one shop that is both a gun store and surplus gear.

Really, Chris? A shameless plug for Gun and Knife Country, located on Ft Campbell Blvd in Oak Grove near Gate 6? A Glock Blue Label dealer and SOT with several transferable machine guns in stock?

Never Heard of them
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Damn.  First Big Bubba Buck's Belly Bustin' BBQ Bliss at exit 65 on I-65 burns down, and now this?

Is NOTHING sacred?

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
changed..

View Quote

Ah, that's what it was. I recall going there as a kid, but could never remember what store it was. The only thing I remember about it was the scale model M16 with M203 they had on a display case.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 4:55:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Ft Campbell location is closed now. The sign says they'll be opening under new ownership.
View Quote

That doesn't look good.  I miss the Knox store, although much of
what they had was over priced.  I'm down to my last taticool ball
cap.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Heading out FT Campbell Gate 4 yesterday I saw this sign on the Former US Cavalry store across the street.

Untitled by c.swimm, on Flickr

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic as I was driving.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Heading out FT Campbell Gate 4 yesterday I saw this sign on the Former US Cavalry store across the street.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/rFpwPy" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7621/16854853798_d47dfb7f9a_z.jpg</a>Untitled by c.swimm, on Flickr

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic as I was driving.
View Quote

Yeah I saw that the other day.  We weren't entirely surprised though.

I honestly tried to like them, but they really haven't made it easy.  Selection was "meh", and telling me "Yes we're open!" when they weren't isn't quickly forgotten either.   Hopefully the new overlords will have better stock & service.

as i said earlier, i think the only reason they stayed afloat was because they were right across from a major gate at the base.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#35]
That sucks, I used to love going to the stores in Radcliff, they always had cool stuff.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top