Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2015 8:34:34 AM EDT
Ok htf I'm coming to knob creek in April for my first ever machine gun shoot. I'm sure I'll probably be probed when I get home by Cuomos goons, but this is on my bucket list (machine gun shoot, not probing).
Plans now are to arrive Friday afternoon hit the show all day Saturday and return home Sunday. I'm looking at staying at a holiday inn either by the airport or off 65 in Louisville. I'm also looking for some good food close by that serves alcohol (I heard rumors Kentucky has dry counties), also must see things and do at the show. Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated, motels, food, must sees even though my time will be limited.
Thanks Kentucky htf.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I plan on reserving this week. Spent a few hours looking at Google maps and searching things to do. Everything I read said stay away from north and west Louisville.
Eta. I will be driving, not flying in.
How's the traffic in the city and to the show?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thanks for the links. Do you have anything more specific though. This kinda covers the whole state.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for the links. Do you have anything more specific though. This kinda covers the whole Commonwealth
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the links. Do you have anything more specific though. This kinda covers the whole Commonwealth

FTFY

Are you driving out or flying in? Whats your route?

What are you into? Sports? Outdoors? Art? Theatre? Food?

Since you drink, I think a distillery tour is a must.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

FTFY

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FTFY

I'll be driving in, I'm taking 71 in. Im up for most local foods. I'll try anything once.
I don't think I'll have time for a tour. I guess I should have been more specific, I'm looking more for stuff to do after the show. Get some quick eats and maybe hit some local stuff. I'm planning on coming in Friday afternoon, so basically something to do Friday night. I'll be at the show all day Saturday so I'll probably just have time for dinner Saturday. Sunday I will be heading out so I won't be planning much.
I'm into sports and outdoors, not much for arts or theatre, but I'd give anything a shot. I'll be leaving the lady at home, this will be a small group of guys. No strip clubs. Not our thing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Also how's the parking at the show. Any recommend times to get in or be at certain places.  Things I must see at the show?
Are backpacks permitted in the show?
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Too bad you won't get there earlier on Friday. I love going to the show on Friday morning to avoid the crowds and hit the booths before the throng gets there buying everything up. BUT, since you are from New York you wouldn't be able to partake of what we here in the freedom loving state of Kentucky take for granted.

If you get in on Friday go to the show as soon as you can. Saturday gets very busy but as long as the weather isn't too bad parking is not an issue. They have large parking areas in fields, well directed, plenty of room, and they run shuttle buses so its not bad at all.

Crowds this Spring should be OK. Back in the gun hater's terror years when everyone worried about losing their God Given Rights masses came to the show. Now that we aer in a more quiet time things will go better. We are in Kentucky, not NY so "crowds" are nothing bad for us. People are polite and we don't crazy or anything.

Bring ear protection, it get noisy!   You will hear sounds you will never get to experience back in that Commie state you are forced to live in.

Don't worry too much about traffic. I have been to NY, what we have here is NOTHING like what you put up with back in the big cities of the East.

Tons of good places to stay. You can read a map and find these on-line.  Don't worry about the "West Side". Its tame compared to some of the big cities up East. Louisville is not so large a city. I live on the East side and its really lovely and peaceful here.

You say you don't have too much time. Well, maybe you should make some time and come back when you can stay a spell. You might find this a beautiful area and see why the people from out East use to migrate here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're taking 71, stay at a hotel somewhere along 265.  My preference would be in Middletown, one exit from 265 off of 64.  If you're planning to hit up a titty bar, stay somewhere off of Dixie highway for quick access to KCR and the titty bars.

Come in Thursday and go to the show Friday morning.  You can spend Friday night and Saturday morning/early afternoon around town and head back out to see the night shoot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info! I did look on Google maps and the city looked easy to navigate with a bunch of neighborhoods surrounding it. I honestly didn't fear it, but it was a concern from another guy going. Friday might be a option, I'm trying to move up the time we leave. I just don't know how excited people will be about a ten hour car ride then walking around a show.  
I will be looking to buy ammo and other odds and ends at the show.
Almost forgot ear protection. Thanks for reminding me!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you're taking 71, stay at a hotel somewhere along 265.  My preference would be in Middletown, one exit from 265 off of 64.  If you're planning to hit up a titty bar, stay somewhere off of Dixie highway for quick access to KCR and the titty bars.

Come in Thursday and go to the show Friday morning.  You can spend Friday night and Saturday morning/early afternoon around town and head back out to see the night shoot.
View Quote

No titty bars. Womenz don't approve.
We do plan on hitting the night shoot. What time does it typically end.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Middletown is a good hotel area, basically a strip mall zone though. If you're feeling fancy and want to see Louisville see if you can swing a room in downtown at the Galt House or the Hilton.

Night shoot ends at uhh 1030ish I think. Plan on an additional 30-60 minute wait after the night shoot. You can spend it in traffic or just chill for a bit and hang out then ease on out once the rush dies down.

Parking at KCR is easy. Plan on parking on grass or in mud. Your average car should manage just fine. Know where your tow points are just in case you sink into the mud and need a yank though.

Backpacks allowed. Pack in some water, snacks, and plan for rain+mud+blistering sun all in the same day.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks rotary!
What's a good time to get to the show. I think I read gates open at 7 show doesn't start till 9?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:06:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Spend the $30 (I think its $30) and do the jungle walk.  ETA $40 including ammo.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Spend the $30 (I think its $30) and do the jungle walk.  ETA $40 including ammo.

http://youtu.be/nQjoKSkHd8A
View Quote

Looks awesome. It will probably be the only time I ever get to shoot a fa.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks rotary!
What's a good time to get to the show. I think I read gates open at 7 show doesn't start till 9?
View Quote

I usually have a leisurely brunch and wander in late in the morning. Nothing wrong with an early start but why rush? You'll be there all day and through the night.

Be sure to stop by the Friends of the NRA booth and see if we have a raffle going that tickles your fancy. If you win we'll ship to your FFL and anything you're not allowed to have in NY can be donated back (tax deductible). Helps a great cause and the odds are pretty good. We typically have $10, $20, and $50 raffles going with great guns and gear as a prize.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/nQjoKSkHd8A

PM sent
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I usually have a leisurely brunch and wander in late in the morning. Nothing wrong with an early start but why rush? You'll be there all day and through the night.

Be sure to stop by the Friends of the NRA booth and see if we have a raffle going that tickles your fancy. If you win we'll ship to your FFL and anything you're not allowed to have in NY can be donated back (tax deductible). Helps a great cause and the odds are pretty good. We typically have $10, $20, and $50 raffles going with great guns and gear as a prize.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks rotary!

I'll check out the nra booth. I'm sure most things will be ny unfriendly, but still a good cause.
Why rush? Hell us ny'ers are always in a hurry lol.
Thanks again for the info!
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Basically, stay east of I-65 and south of I-71. Southern Indiana isn't bad. By the airport is fine. Plenty of food. Entertainment on Bardstown or over near Mall St.Matthews. Also check out frankfort avenue.

You will have a blast here.

Joe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top