Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2014 1:57:38 AM EDT
Recently moved back to Richmond and looking for some like minded friends to hit the range with. I'm prior military, DOD contractor, special Operations Responce Team Member at a prison and now run a Bar here in town. id like to find a group of people to hit the range with and also interested into hitting buds for idpa a few times a month.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Which bar?

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]
The Manhattan Club
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in Richmond all the time...mostly at Madison Garden though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm at frequent the gardens often myself.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in Valley View.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in Richmond.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in Richmond.  I like to target shoot my Glock 9mm and .45 pistols.  I also have a 9mm AR-15 and a DoubleStar 5.56 AR-15 that I occasionally target shoot.  Sometimes I'll get out my Mossberg 590A1 shotgun and shoot slugs for fun.

I work in Frankfort and frequently shoot at the Franklin County Sportsmen's Club around lunch time.  It's really close to my office so I can get in 30 minutes or so during my lunch break.

Where can people shoot in Richmond/Madison County?  I'd love to shoot some longer distance (135 yards is max at the Club in Frankfort) but other than asking for permission on private land I'm not aware of any place to shoot.  I'd love to have some place handy in Madison County to shoot on weekends as I only shoot in Frankfort during the week when I'm there for work.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:36:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Kingston Wildlife Management Area is one option, though I'm not sure to what distance you can shoot.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks.  I've heard of it but hadn't seen any information on it.  The web link is helpful.  You might think living in Madison County all my life I'd know more about it.  

If I successfully located it on a satellite map it looks like the shooting range is 100 yards and looks like 4 lanes.  Online it says "(for single projectile firearms only; no shotshells or pistols allowed)".

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kingston Wildlife Management Area is one option, though I'm not sure to what distance you can shoot.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Online it says "(for single projectile firearms only; no shotshells or pistols allowed)".
View Quote

Glad I don't have to shoot at public ranges anymore.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Kingston is a "tube" range. You must shoot through these long tubes...pretty goofy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#12]
WMA at Kingston is a joke now. You use to be able to at least zreo your weapon at 25, 50 and so forth now you can only fire at the 100 yard mark down a tube. I also wish there was some where to shoot closer to Berea/Richmond.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:11:26 AM EDT
[#13]
What's the idea behind the tubes?  Is it supposed to be safer? I guess those black things in the sattelite image are the tubes.  They look to be about 25 feet long.  What are the tubes made of and what's the inside diameter that one is shooting through?  I'm just trying to picture what it's going to be like.

Quoted:
Kingston is a "tube" range. You must shoot through these long tubes...pretty goofy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's the idea behind the tubes?  Is it supposed to be safer? I guess those black things in the sattelite image are the tubes.  They look to be about 25 feet long.  What are the tubes made of and what's the inside diameter that one is shooting through?  I'm just trying to picture what it's going to be like.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the idea behind the tubes is to keep the shooter aimed at the desired angle. Can't shoot over the berm or targets.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think the idea behind the tubes is to keep the shooter aimed at the desired angle. Can't shoot over the berm or targets.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The tubes are probably 2 feet in diameter. I only shot  there once and hated it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Live in Richmond.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#17]
You would think with the population in the Richmond area there would be a Sportmans club or something. Anybody got some land to donate. I would think there would be enough interest and so on and so forth.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I heard that people can go shooting in the rock quarry off of exit 59 in Mt Vernon. I have places to shoot at my farm, so I've not been there, but it's probably worth checking into it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey, I just recently found out that there's a new range between Richmond and Lancaster called Sugar Creek Shooting Range.  They list their address as 1033 Perry Rogers Rd Lancaster, Kentucky.  

If somebody goes please let us know what you find.

They have some photos and information at their Facebook page.

I didn't see a whole lot at  their website

This is a link to a post in the Ky Ranges Sticky topic.

I haven't gone but I think I will check it out if the weather ever warms up enough on the weekends.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hey, I just recently found out that there's a new range between Richmond and Lancaster called Sugar Creek Shooting Range.  They list their address as 1033 Perry Rogers Rd Lancaster, Kentucky.  

I haven't gone but I think I will check it out if the weather ever warms up enough on the weekends.
View Quote

Looks like a nice place, but I can move around at mine.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks like a sweet setup. We should all get together and do some shooting. Or atleast a meet and greet. IF someone would host a range day I'd host a meet and greet at my bar.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#22]
It is too bad, (and rather stupid), that Rockcastle Shooting Center is not in Rockcastle.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looks like a sweet setup. We should all get together and do some shooting. Or atleast a meet and greet. IF someone would host a range day I'd host a meet and greet at my bar.
View Quote

It's ok. It's accessible by 4wd or walking. It needs some work, I found a couple larger dead trees that need to come down. Also have a longer range about 150 yards, as well as a handgun range in progress in my yard.

The road probably is probably in worse shape since the snowstorm.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:52:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

We went out there about a month ago. We shot pistols and were the only people on the pistol or rifle ranges. The place isn't huge, but they seemed to make good use of their space. The pistol area was about 25 or 30 yards deep. I believe they said the rifle range is a 250. Nice owners, and the setup is in the process of becoming pretty neat, I think. Definitely worth your time to look.

It's easy to drive right by...look for for a small sign down at like "campaign sign" height by a driveway. The range and range shed are well back from the road, so you'll need the sign.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Once the weather clear's those of us around the Richmond KY area should really consider a meet and greet. I would be up for that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Once the weather clear's those of us around the Richmond KY area should really consider a meet and greet. I would be up for that.
View Quote

Pick a time and place.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#27]
So how many would be interested. Can we get a head count. I am in.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#28]
In...
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#29]
So...three of us? It should be nice this coming week.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Lexington here, just noticed this thread.
I lurk more than post, finally registered a few months back
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Should be available all weekend
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:36:21 AM EDT
[#32]
I am good any sun, mom or weds day.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I could do Sunday..
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 3:15:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Damm the bad luck i have Kin Folk comming this weekend. How about next Sunday the 22nd early afternoon some time. Would it be OK with you guys if I posted this meet and greet on another firearms site and maybe drum up some more people.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#35]
It looks like we have interest, it's just hammering down a date. My schedule, most days, is fairly flexible.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I can meet any evening.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#37]
In.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Bump in case anyone still lives in Richmond lol
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:56:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Someone pick a time and place. I am good any mon, wed, or sunday.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Live in Berea and try to shoot a lot but lately havent since prices of 22 went skyhigh and you cant find any. I have a farm we shoot pistol at (steel plates) and its where I hold my CCDW shooting portion at. We can also shoot out to 300 yrds. Id be up for a meet and greet when my leg gets better (torn calf muscle and messed up ankle).
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Roger that. Let us know when your GTG. Then let do it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Check out Sugar Creek Range in Lancaster. 20 mins from Richmond. 250 yd rifle and a huge pistol pit. You can shoot from a holster there, do drills, shoot rifles on pistol range, etc. Very flexible complex with lots of options.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Check out Sugar Creek Range in Lancaster. 20 mins from Richmond. 250 yd rifle and a huge pistol pit. You can shoot from a holster there, do drills, shoot rifles on pistol range, etc. Very flexible complex with lots of options.
View Quote

How much $ is it to shoot there?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wife and I went there once. Not a bad range at all...very small operation, but the owners (young couple) are really nice. We will go again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top