Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2014 3:50:50 PM EDT

This seems a tad bit off.   What say you?

Kentucky Gun Laws Provide Interesting Case Nationally

"Private businesses and courtrooms may prohibit the carrying of guns. Cities can prohibit concealed firearms, but openly carrying firearms is allowed in many city facilities, such as parks, zoos, and even city halls."

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds correct to me. Cities can regulate concealed carry in city owned buildings. Businesses can prohibit carry, though signs have no force of law behind them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Its correct.

As I understand the law open carry of firearms in government owned facilities (state and local) is allowed. They may ban concealed carry and may ban other non-firearm weapons. As I recall this also only applies inside buildings.

A crazy side effect of this law was that the Lousiville Zoo was posted but since the facility is mostly outdoors you could conceal carry anywhere outside (the main gate) but as soon as you went inside (the reptile house) you needed to be open. Since then I think they've actually removed their signs.

Part of me thinks this is a trap. If you're following the letter of the law you could carry with a jacket over your firearm in a park, but if you go into the restroom building you'd have to take your jacket off and carry openly. I'm sure someone will poop their pants over this sooner or later and claim a man flashed a gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top