Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 8:25:39 AM EDT
I'm looking for a career change and I'd like to learn a skill or trade, something beyond factory work.  My dream is to work in the gun industry, but I'd take anything that offered me a chance to learn.  I'm a Transylvania grad.  I've worked in office settings and in factories.  I'm not afraid to put on a suit or get my hands dirty.

Basically, I'm just looking for a change.  I'm in my late 20's and want to change directions with my career.  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
What was your major in college?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What was your major in college?
View Quote

History.  Minor in english.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Where have you worked?
At each job where did you start and what did you advance to?
Whats your dream job?
What companies look interesting to you, even if they aren't in central KY? Something similar might be?

Throw a mini-resume up here. "I need a job in this region" is kind of broad.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where have you worked?
At each job where did you start and what did you advance to?
Whats your dream job?
What companies look interesting to you, even if they aren't in central KY? Something similar might be?

Throw a mini-resume up here. "I need a job in this region" is kind of broad.
View Quote

To be honest, that was my point.  I'm trying to keep it broad and not limit myself.  I want to investigate any job that someone points me towards.

Since 18, I've worked at a brokerage firm doing research, at a software research firm, a short stint for a political campaign, and recently for a major manufacturer in Lexington.  There, I worked in logistics and did everything from drive a forklift to maintain million-dollar equipment.  With the exception of my last job, most of my jobs have lasted 6 months to a year.  This last one lasted 2.5 years.  This was either because of the economy--some of the companies I've worked for have downsized or disappeared--or there was no room for advancement.  Now that I'm 26 and more financially stable, I'd like to find a new career path that allows me to learn and develop a set of skills.

As for dream job, I wish I could answer that question myself.  Working anywhere in the gun industry would be amazing, but I'm really open to anything that isn't factory work.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Just a little bit about me, I did a stint as an intern in HR where I was doing first round resume screenings and initial phone calls. I can't say I liked that job, but I learned what'll get a candidate in the door. After that I was in a lead role where I had strong input on hiring and interview decisions. This does not make me an expert. I offer up my experience as a somewhat ignorant goon who has previously spent time talking to guys like you during the hiring process. Pretend I'm the dork in HR that decides if your resume goes up to the actual hiring manager or not.

While doing the brokerage research and software research, what did you know coming in and what did you learn to do while there? Are you now more conversant, but not an expert in, certain aspects of software design?

Same question for the political campaign. Make sure you describe the size and level of the campaign but do not name the candidate or party. Whats important is that you did work for a campaign of a certain size, not for a particular candidate. That can cut both ways depending on how the person you're talking to feels.

How did you make the leap from forklift (do you have a forklift certification?) to maintenance? What did you have to learn to do as you went?

What mistakes on the job have you learned from? Maybe not a resume point but its important.

Are you a people person? A machine person? A computer person? How do you want to interact with your job?

Hit up the job fairs if you can. The hiring process is two-way, you need to be interviewing employers to find out what they do and if thats something that interests you. This is really important for you because you seem unsure of what you want to do.

So based on what you're posting here, you are willing to work, willing to do scut work, and capable of learning and advancing beyond your degree and past experience. Thats really good. Make sure your resume shows where you started and what you did. Make sure your cover letter talks about your broad experience and how you learned quickly to do new things. The following questions show my ignorance of the work you did. Its your job to explain to me what you did and what you learned and how you advanced.

You can answer these here or just to yourself. I hope I am helping you think about how to present yourself to a recruiter or firm.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Look for some part time work at a FFL.  See what's it's really like when you want to focus in on one area and the employer wants you to do something else.

The industry is flooded right now as well.

I'm pretty sure you won't make excellent money right out of the gate unless you're smart about what you sell and developing clientele and quite possibly you'll start in the $10/hr range.

MFGs have been laying off people because sales are slow.

I'm not trying to discourage you from learning a new field---but the industry isn't glamorous.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Look for some part time work at a FFL.  See what's it's really like when you want to focus in on one area and the employer wants you to do something else.

I'm pretty sure you won't make excellent money right out of the gate unless you're smart about what you sell and developing clientele and quite possibly you'll start in the $10/hr range.

I'm not trying to discourage you from learning a new field---but the industry isn't glamorous.

View Quote

Do you work in the gun industry?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you sell?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can you sell?
View Quote

Guns?  Yeah, I could sell guns to the Brady Campaign.  You in the gun business too?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife is looking for a Data Analyst.  The position would be in the healthcare field.  Located in Lexington, Ky.  Starting pay would be @$40k.  Excellent benefits.

If interested send your resume to my email and I will give it to her.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My wife is looking for a Data Analyst.  The position would be in the healthcare field.  Located in Lexington, Ky.  Starting pay would be @$40k.  Excellent benefits.

If interested send your resume to my email and I will give it to her.
View Quote

Email sent.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do, since 2009.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:51:15 AM EDT
[#13]
If you don't mind shift work, look into becoming a dispatcher or 911 calltaker in Lexington.  Keep your eye on http://jobs.lexingtonky.gov

We are always looking for people and the pay is pretty decent.

Telecommunicator is the title for calltakers who answer all 911 calls and police administrative calls in Fayette County.

Telecommunicator Senior is the title for dispatchers, and you'd dispatch either police or fire personnel.

If you have any questions or want to come in to observe, PM me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I know you want to work in KY, but you said the gun industry. How's about Gallatin, TN to work for Beretta? They will be hiring 300 for 2015. Maybe a good "foot in the door."

Beretta Moves To Tennessee

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I am former combat Infantry NCO (Iraq) with a background in military logistics operations as well as law enforcement and facility security. Looking for mid career switch. I have a security clearance. Experienced in administrative duties and managerial roles.

I'd like to work in the Lexington/Richmond area. I live in Clark Co.

I hope you don't mind me piggybacking in your jobs thread Leonidas777.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am former combat Infantry NCO (Iraq) with a background in military logistics operations as well as law enforcement and facility security. Looking for mid career switch. I have a security clearance. Experienced in administrative duties and managerial roles.

I'd like to work in the Lexington/Richmond area. I live in Clark Co.

I hope you don't mind me piggybacking in your jobs thread Leonidas777.
View Quote

No problem.  I'm not sure what you're looking for, but check out Lockheed Martin.  Just do a simple Indeed search.  They seem to have a lot that fit you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top