Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2014 5:33:34 PM EDT
My wife and I have decided to both get our CCDW
However, it is next to impossible for my wife to attend an all day class the way her schedule is
And as far as attending a class together that's certainly out of the question

We're both law abiding, experienced gun owners/shooters (took a while, but I'm even a responsible person now LOL)

I'm not seeing anything when I google it other than just being able to online register for a class
Or am I just misunderstanding this whole online permit talk?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Not that I am aware of, I have been a CCDW instructor for over 6 years.

FYI you do not have to take all the instruction at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I was reading the "Ask a guy taking a CCD class anything" thread in GD today who was from TN. in an  8 hr class
One from NY and another from NH responded they fill out a one page questionnaire online send in ten bucks and in a few days, there is their permit in the mail

NY of all places!  Not  KY ?!?

Blows me away if true

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the info. If online is a no go then I guess taking it piecemeal will be the route we'll have to take

BTW- I admittedly only skimmed over the pro-2nd legislation that was signed by the governor this past April and read it as KY being open now to online registration
I probably read it wrong, I'll hunt it up again
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:45:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. If online is a no go then I guess taking it piecemeal will be the route we'll have to take

BTW- I admittedly only skimmed over the pro-2nd legislation that was signed by the governor this past April and read it as KY being open now to online registration
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new legislation allows for online applications, not online training. They are two separate and different things. You take the training class from an instructor and once you get your certificate of training, you take that to your county sheriff and apply for the license. The new legislation was passed, but the State Police have not got the new system up and running yet. It could be months before they do get it going, but even then, you will still have to to take the the training class in person.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. Figured it was too good to be true
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#7]
He's right on the money. I'm a CCDW Instructor in Jefferson County. Let me know what county you're in and I can get you hooked up with an instructor or you can find one through this group http://accdwky.wildapricot.org/page-1853358

Quoted:

The new legislation allows for online applications, not online training. They are two separate and different things. You take the training class from an instructor and once you get your certificate of training, you take that to your county sheriff and apply for the license. The new legislation was passed, but the State Police have not got the new system up and running yet. It could be months before they do get it going, but even then, you will still have to to take the the training class in person.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks again ya'll! I'm in Ohio Co.

Contrary to how my post was worded, I actually would rather take a class than simply do it online anyway.
I'm the first to admit I don't know it all and am not too proud to say that I could certainly use instruction as I've developed bad habits in my shooting. I'm only so so However, it would have been ideal online for the wife

Even with the online ccw in NY you couldn't freekn pay me enough money to live there

Kentucky is still the greatest state
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#9]
VA allows online courses and will issue non-resident licenses honored in many states.  In KY I believe the requirement is for a specified number hours of traing as well as range time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks again ya'll! I'm in Ohio Co.

Contrary to how my post was worded, I actually would rather take a class than simply do it online anyway.
I'm the first to admit I don't know it all and am not too proud to say that I could certainly use instruction as I've developed bad habits in my shooting. I'm only so so However, it would have been ideal online for the wife

Even with the online ccw in NY you couldn't freekn pay me enough money to live there

Kentucky is still the greatest state
View Quote

The training course will not improve your shooting. The training is about the concealed carry law and the laws about using force and deadly force in Ky. I was an instructor for 12 years and never had a student fail the shooting portion. Some of them told me it was the first time they had ever fired a gun. I have done it several times with my eyes closed, literally.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#11]
In NY state there are two different handgun permits. The first and by far more common one is just to own a handgun. It doesn't allow you to take it anywhere. Just keep at your home or place of business. Although the law doesn't specifically allow for it, it is generally regarded as allowing the owner of a licensed handgun to transport it unloaded and locked in a case to the range/gun club for practice or competition.

The second is an actual carry permit. these are much less common in NY state. You have to get approval from the CLEO or magistrate I believe, and show good cause why you need one. My dad had a NY state carry permit when we lived there. He owned a gas station and had to make cash deposits at the bank after closing (usually at night). That was his justification for need and it was approved. This was back in the 70's though when he applied. Probably wouldn't get one now for that.

If you put "self defense" down as your reason for needing a carry permit in NY it would most certainly get denied. Put down that you are a jeweler, or some type of business that deals with large amounts of cash and it gets approved. Ironic since the only justifiable use of the firearm is self defense, and if you used it to protect your money or valuables, you would go to jail in NY.  

It is all an applictaion process. I don't think they require training for either permit in NY state.

Also note that a NY state carry permit is not valid in NY city.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In NY state there are two different handgun permits. The first and by far more common one is just to own a handgun. It doesn't allow you to take it anywhere. Just keep at your home or place of business. Although the law doesn't specifically allow for it, it is generally regarded as allowing the owner of a licensed handgun to transport it unloaded and locked in a case to the range/gun club for practice or competition.

The second is an actual carry permit. these are much less common in NY state. You have to get approval from the CLEO or magistrate I believe, and show good cause why you need one. My dad had a NY state carry permit when we lived there. He owned a gas station and had to make cash deposits at the bank after closing (usually at night). That was his justification for need and it was approved. This was back in the 70's though when he applied. Probably wouldn't get one now for that.

If you put "self defense" down as your reason for needing a carry permit in NY it would most certainly get denied. Put down that you are a jeweler, or some type of business that deals with large amounts of cash and it gets approved. Ironic since the only justifiable use of the firearm is self defense, and if you used it to protect your money or valuables, you would go to jail in NY.  

It is all an applictaion process. I don't think they require training for either permit in NY state.

Also note that a NY state carry permit is not valid in NY city.
View Quote

I lived in NY from 2002 to 2010.

You can get a Concealed Pistol Permit; it varies by County. County Judges approve/sign off on them. I lived in Monroe County. You needed 3 references that were not kin and you also had to get fingerprinted 2x, one set goes to the FBI, one in the state records in Albany. It took about 15 months. They call and interview your references.
It varies by county, by I was encouraged to put self defense as the reason, it was approved. I didn't have "connections" or anything. Some counties will NEVER grant a carry permit unless you are Howard Stern or have a few million and like donating to DNC campaigns.

The non Concealed pistol permits are called "Target/Hunting", and they are an "administrative restriction" that judges impose with no real authority to do so. You can own handguns, just not carry them loaded of concealed.

In NY State it is a Class D Felony to simply handle a handgun without a valid NY'S pistol permit. You cannot even touch a handgun there without their permit. As a result, handguns are cheaper at gun stores because demand is so low. I picked up a used Glock 19 with night sights for just over $300 at GANDER friggin MOUNTAIN! Also a used Ruger Security Six 6" S.S. for $189 OTD.

Weird thing, once you get a NY concealed permit its  virtually limitless where you can go with it because so few people have them. No restrictions on bars, liquor stores, etc.  Most life long NY'ers don't even know you can get a concealed carry permit so if they see your gun printing or something they think you are undercover or something.

Another tyrannical aspect, you also had to have your permit "ammended" when you bought another handgun. You had to take from the gunstore a receipt with serial number number, make/model etc. then you went to the county clerks office and they'd use a 1970's typewriter to add that info to your paper permit. Then you could actually pickup your new gun.

Fuck Albany and all them vermin gun grabbers that live there!

ETA: no live fire training or any classroom instruction; its all administrative paper work and it cost about $200 when it was all said and done and took nearly 1.5 years back about 10 years ago when I did it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top