Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2014 9:28:19 AM EDT
This must be a new event that was started up because it is the first I'm hearing of it.  I did find some reference to them having it last year but nothing prior.  Anyone know anything about it?  It is held at the Horse Park.

Seminars on hunting, food plots, and fishing.  Also supposed to have boats, RVs, and ATVs.  There is one comment about "Demo ATVs" which I'm guessing is a chance to try things out.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes New event. They were pimping it at some gun shows this year and handing out flyers to entice dealers to set up there.

I am skeptical but seems like they are going large with it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:00:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I am going to try to get over there, they had one last year and a couple reports from friends were good.  It is outdoors related, not necessarily shooting/gun related.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I went last year, its first show, and it had a lot of stuff and neat events and what not. It was dead though, not many people showed up. Not even like a third the anticipated turn out. I don't know how that will sway exhibitors this year but if they get the same number and type of exhibitors it'll be well worth the trip out there. I plan on going back.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Seem to be doing a better job advertising it this year.  Several friends from work are going this year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seem to be doing a better job advertising it this year.  Several friends from work are going this year.
View Quote

Agreed.  I did not hear much of anything about the last one, I would have gone.  Want to go to Rockcastle this weekend too but no time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:48:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the heads up. I think I might go check it out
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:29:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:57:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

We set up as vendors last year for the first annual show.  They had a ton of vendors and cool stuff, but no one to see it.  Their advertising to the public was weak but they sure drew in the vendors. I think that has hurt them with this years show as I know a lot of vendors will not be returning, including us.

Doesn't hurt to check it out though!
View Quote

I live less than 10 minutes from the Horse Park and never heard anything about it last year.  This year they seem to be advertising on the radio but I still haven't seen billboards like you would expect.

I plan on going Sunday with the g/f and her 2 daughters.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
AAR

The show failed miserably to live up to its "Ultimate Outdoor Expo".  A more accurate name would be the "Small Unorganized Amateur Outdoor Expo".  It was all the way around pathetic.  Lack of staff, lack of security, lack of almost all signs for show events, and lack of a map covering all the show features.

1. To get the tickets you first drive 1/4 mile down a muddy gravel road.  

2. I followed the other cars to the parking lot where we saw guys in a green shirts but they weren't paying any attention to the cars parking.  Once we parked they yelled at me and the other drivers that just parked saying we couldn't park there and made us mover further down the lot.  

3. We were given a ride up to and back to the car by people on golf carts.  That was the only thing the show did well.  Of course the crowd was very sparse so it isn't like they were busy transporting people.

4. At the entrance table we were given a show guide.  When I asked where seminar room #2 was I was met with a blank stare and was given the reply "I have no idea".  There was no one that knew anything and once you left the front table there was no other staff visible.  Noticeably absent was security staff and safety staff.  The lack of staff will be important in something I describe further down.

5. Looking for the seminar I wander around the arena for about 20 minutes, ended up in back corridors, went through the main floor, and ended up back the entrance table.  I asked an older gentleman at the table about the seminar rooms.  I was again given the blank stare and seemed confused about what the word seminar even meant.  Finally a young girl spoke up.  She had over heard me ask the guy.  She told it me was down a hallway, through some glass door, take a right, go a bit, and then it was opposite of Lizard Lick. I thought WTF is a lizard lick and how would I even know if I found it but I took off walking anyway.

6. Finally got to room labeled "Seminar 2".  You entered through a slightly ajar partition in the wall.  I got in there and the room was empty, no seminar.  At that point I was done with the show and would have been fine going back home. But the g/f's daughter wanted to try an archery game so we stayed.  As they were playing they made an announcement apologizing the speakers of a different seminar showing up.

7. There was a very small "gun show" there.  High prices and cheap Chinese stuff.

8. We wanted to see the lumberjack show.  So an hour before the event we start looking to find it, to avoid a repeat of having no idea where it was.  As we were walking I flipped through the program and noticed the time they listed in the program did not match the time they listed on the website.  The program start time was 30 minutes prior, so it is a good thing we tried finding the show an hour early.  We finally found the show location, there were no signs for show times, and no staff around to ask.  We heard an announcement about the show and they mentioned the time in the program.  We watch the show, which is very small and had half the stuff other lumberjack shows have.  Towards the end of the show the main lumberjack is carving something out of a log, as he nears completion the object he is carving starts to move, he reaches his hand up to catch it but also caught his fingers in the moving chainsaw blade.  He went into shock, had a blank stare, and wandered off into the building holding his fingers with his other hand.  The assistants tried to finish the show but a 350lb lumber jack trying to log roll with a 135lb lumber jack just isn't going to work.  The guy who cut himself was supposed to be the roller not the 350lb guy.

9.  So now we have a lumberjack who just had an accident and will possibly lose at least 2 fingers.  There is safety personal there right?  Nope.  There is at least staff there monitoring the show right?  Nope.  There is someone who can give the guy assistance right?  Nope.  As we headed back into the arena you could see the trailer of blood from the guy.  The poor lumberjack wandered into the building, around the building, and then out into the main arena floor trying to find help.  There was blood the entire way.  In the arena there was a guy on the floor quickly trying to clean up all the blood.  I'm not sure what happened to the lumberjack but I'm assuming at some point he found someone to give him assistance.

10. We heard an announcement that a drawing for a Yeti cooler was going to take place soon and to make sure to register.  We get to the booth about 2 minutes later and the guy tells us the drawing already happened 5 minutes ago.

11. The website mentioned Demo ATVs.  I did not see a single ATV being ridden or any place to ride them.

12.  The website also mentions a petting zoo but we never found it.

The vendors/exhibitors is what you would typically see at an expo and made up most of the show.  The selection of RVs and Boats was about 1/10th of what you would see at the Louisville boat and RV show.  The show was really geared towards people who had land and needed deer feed, feeders, or equipment.  There were also several outfitters and guides there.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the AAR. Sounds like the organizers might struggle to put together a birthday party...
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks for the AAR. Sounds like the organizers might struggle to put together a birthday party...
View Quote

Yeah, I'm not sure why they are having so many basic problems.  They did the hard part of getting the different pieces to show up but failed to pull it all together.  With low crowd turn out it will make it even harder on them.  I think they could have something good going if they could pull all the pieces together.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I was there for maybe an hour.  It was pretty bad, even had the usual suspects of memory foam pillows, jerky, Nazi paraphernalia, overpriced guns, cheap Chinese knives and flashlights and handwound helicopters.

2/10
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn I am glad I didn't go. With the weather being so hot and humid this weekend I figured this would be a good way to kill some time. Luckily other things got in the way so I never made it out there.

Thanks for the review.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top